Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Sickening posted:

It is a rare and won't be a 4 of most likely. Don't spend 80 bucks on a playset folks....

If you pull one pre-release weekend and can get $20 for it I would do so in a heartbeat.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

This is a very stable dude.

BTW Westvale Abby is an insanely powerful card. It's super weird that it's not legendary too.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Dehtraen posted:

If you pull one pre-release weekend and can get $20 for it I would do so in a heartbeat.

At the very least if you are just dying to play it opening weekend and you buying them super inflated is your only option, just buy 2.

Speaking of cards that are going to get expensive, gideon is pretty likely to be a 3-4 of in at least two strong candidates for t1 decks. He has jumped yet but this might be your last chance to get him at 15. Even if his demand does grow he probably won't get anywhere above 25, but it might save you a few dollars. He for some reason has shown up a little more in modern lately so there is always a chance he might even get sillier.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Mar 31, 2016

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Sickening posted:

At the very least if you are just dying to play it opening weekend and you buying them super inflated is your only option, just buy 2.

Definitely. It's a powerful effect but $20 is far too steep. I'll definitely be immediately dumping any copies I pull at pre-releases

Dehtraen fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 31, 2016

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Dehtraen posted:

Definitely. It's a powerful effect but $20 is far too steep.

Especially for a non mythic.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Dehtraen posted:

Definitely. It's a powerful effect but $20 is far too steep.

Even if it takes the opens/gps by storm the first weekend or two its still going to drop almost half the value.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Glad I got my set for $3.99

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Westvale seems nice in token strategies (so gw colors in standard and maybe bw/junk in modern). There aren't many decks that have 5 guys on the field and aren't already winning.

Molybdenum fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 31, 2016

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I was actually looking at UW control/tempo, seems like there might be enough there even if the loss of cruise/dig with no good replacement is pretty bad

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Molybdenum posted:

Westvale seems nice in token strategies (so junk colors in standard and maybe in modern too). There aren't many decks that have 5 guys on the field and aren't already winning.

This is true. It also requires a big mana investment to turn it on.

For B/W control and B/W/C it is basically a wastes that under the right condition completely wins the game. That is well worth 2 land slots.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Spec on foil clip wings

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Balon posted:

Glad I got my set for $3.99

I got 4 and 4 Drownyard Temples on pre-order at $4.24 a couple days ago.

Can SuperGamesInc who I got them from on TCG cancel the order even if the money was already taken from my PayPal account?

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

80s James Hetfield posted:

Can SuperGamesInc who I got them from on TCG cancel the order even if the money was already taken from my PayPal account?

Not once you've paid for it, no.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think the thing about Westvale Abbey is that the cost of running it is pretty low (especially in a format with powerful true colorless creatures) and the upside is absolutely insane when it happens.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

80s James Hetfield posted:

I wouldn't worry about it. Considering the order the money you saved on abbey you pissed away on temple. Its kind of a wash.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think the thing about Westvale Abbey is that the cost of running it is pretty low (especially in a format with powerful true colorless creatures) and the upside is absolutely insane when it happens.

Especially when you can do it at instant speed and control the conditions of creature trade-in. Its obviously not great in a midrange deck but if you can trade in scion tokens or thopter tokens the benefit is massive.

I was talking to a buddy and he's considering running this is Modern Elves as well. Being able to pop it on turn 3 and still have other creatures on the board seems amazing.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Balon posted:

Especially when you can do it at instant speed and control the conditions of creature trade-in. Its obviously not great in a midrange deck but if you can trade in scion tokens or thopter tokens the benefit is massive.

I was talking to a buddy and he's considering running this is Modern Elves as well. Being able to pop it on turn 3 and still have other creatures on the board seems amazing.

That sounds terrible actually. Too many exile effects out there.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
My favorite part about insane magic man is his thought that a Mulligan makes you instantly lose the game and invalidates any win you squeak out, but the Vancouver scry, which was implemented to fix that, is unreal and cheating and he refuses to use it if he is forced to mull to six. :psypop:

That falling on his sword fb post image is just sad

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Niton posted:

It's really impressive because he had to find his way to the comments section of an article on a high-end MTG Strategy site to go off about the evils of netdecking.

I suspect that's why LSV pointed it out, too.
I don't want to go hunting for it, what was LSV's response?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Lets Pickle posted:

Oh my god I'm reading those comments and I feel so bad for this weird dude. I think what weirds me out the most is the way he messes up common turns of phrase, like "I'm going to get a slack for this" instead of flak or "when you broil it down" instead of boil. Also the best quote from a person I have heard in a while:

"having too much info just bogs my head so i rather have none."

Is he Rich Voss?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sickening posted:

I wouldn't worry about it. Considering the order the money you saved on abbey you pissed away on temple. Its kind of a wash.

It might be a card if you can run both lootwalkers together.

It's card advantage and ramp, and those are both big things in a control mirror.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sickening posted:

If they're Pathing that, they're not Pathing your Ezuri or whatever else you need at the time (and Path is the primary exile effect to worry about unless some chucklefuck vials in a Flickerwisp).

It also helps to deal with Anger of the Gods, Damnation, and other Wraths, and it kills two turns after it's out.

E: Really, is there much reason you couldn't Crop Rotate for it in Legacy Elves as a 1 of, too? And Black Potus immediately points out how Wasteland shits all over it.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 31, 2016

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

If they're Pathing that, they're not Pathing your Ezuri or whatever else you need at the time (and Path is the primary exile effect to worry about unless some chucklefuck vials in a Flickerwisp).

It also helps to deal with Anger of the Gods, Damnation, and other Wraths, and it kills two turns after it's out.

E: Really, is there much reason you couldn't Crop Rotate for it in Legacy Elves as a 1 of, too?

I might see the point of wrath recovery but the lands are already so tight as it is. I feel like a tokens deck could make better use of abbey than elves.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The cost of running a colorless land seems relatively high in Elves, though.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Sickening posted:

How is it NOT an instant win versus decks not running white?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I really want "The Vancouver mulligan is cheating and also so are netdecks" guy to be the same guy as "Reprints are not legitimate magic cards" guy from MTGSalvation.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Balon posted:

Ignoring how silly that question is, how does sacrificing your already winning position a good thing?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Balon posted:

If they Ghost Quarter it or Fulminator Mage it in response you will feel abysmally lovely

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Ran across this today: http://imgur.com/a/weFrT

As amateur designs go, it actually doesn't seem that bad.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

The Lord of Hats posted:

I really want "The Vancouver mulligan is cheating and also so are netdecks" guy to be the same guy as "Reprints are not legitimate magic cards" guy from MTGSalvation.

Occasionally I need to purchase a single to replace a card in my collection that came out of the pack (either booster pack or redemption set) with a minor defect of some kind. Aside from the one minor defect the original card is of course in mint condition, brand new.

What I consistently run up against is that if I buy a replacement card, I now have a copy without that defect, but it's just not in the same condition as the brand new card otherwise.

I just did this with a foil Shivan Reef from M15, I had opened and sleeved a foil M15 redemption set, and Shivan Reef had a minor cosmetic issue on the front of the card. I tend to go to Star City Games for the best hope of a pack-fresh card, but the last couple orders I've placed with them have been a disappointment and I've ended up not replacing the card in the set.

There is a big difference between NM and pack fresh most of the time, when you're inspecting cards at different angles under good lighting.

Are there any stores that are known for consistently providing Mint cards?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Pack fresh is just a wonderful thing that is mentioned by wonderful people.

Pucatrade is full of them and I never more glad to never use that site ever again.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Does Pucatrade have some sort of rep system?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Balon posted:

Vapor Snag for one. Bolt your other dude if you have one, Liliana for another. Repeal for a third. Combo off and kill you for a forth (granted not saccing 5 guys probably wouldn't have stopped this.) Cryptic Command. Karn. Ugin. Living End.

TheKingofSprings posted:

They're not Pathing your Ezuri because you don't have any creatures left after you sacced 5.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Who is this guy and what is he even apologising for specifically?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

ThePeavstenator posted:

Does Pucatrade have some sort of rep system?

Nope.

Pack fresh is like a red flag for shitlord.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Sickening posted:

Ignoring how silly that question is, how does sacrificing your already winning position a good thing?

Sacrificing 1 Elf Warrior Token, 2 Elvish Mystics, a Llanowar Elves and an Elvish Visionary for a Flying Lifelink Indestructable Haste not a good thing? You're trading 5 power of disposable creatures for 9 power coming across the board. It's a much easier strategy than fishing up Ezuri and STILL leaves you with other guys on the board.

TheKingofSprings posted:

If they Ghost Quarter it or Fulminator Mage it in response you will feel abysmally lovely

That is clearly a scenario where you don't want to do it? Seems pretty simple to me. "Oh my opponent has an untapped GQ or a Fulminator Mage on board maybe I won't sacrifice 5 creatures."

e: The thing has haste, guys. It's an awesome blindside move. I don't know about you but I'd trade 5 power worth of creatures for an 18-point life swing.

Balon fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 31, 2016

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

I love the art on Topplegeist. It's not some big malevolent spirit, it's just a small quiet annoying spirit that won't stop touching your poo poo.

Boop.

"Stop that!"

Boop.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Balon posted:

Sacrificing 1 Elf Warrior Token, 2 Elvish Mystics, a Llanowar Elves and an Elvish Visionary for a Flying Lifelink Indestructable Haste not a good thing? You're trading 5 power of disposable creatures for 9 power coming across the board. It's a much easier strategy than fishing up Ezuri and STILL leaves you with other guys on the board.

Because your multiple creature gameplan is more reliable and less likely to be blown out? That it counteracts the entire gameplan of your deck? :wtc:

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The cost of running a colorless land seems relatively high in Elves, though.

Yeah and this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Sickening posted:

Because your multiple creature gameplan is more reliable and less likely to be blown out? That it counteracts the entire gameplan of your deck?

So does Pyroclasm. Guess what dodges pyroclasm? This guy.

• Locked thread