Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
moonshot using rapidly exiting employees as thrust

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

"don't be evil"

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ufarn posted:

it's so loving hard to keep up with the clusterfucks at alphabet

http://www.statnews.com/2016/03/28/google-life-sciences-exodus/

lol. they hosed up. nobody in healthcare works more than like 45 hours a week.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

one of the basic conceits of the ~*disruptor*~ attitude is that existing industries are the way they are because they're stupid and old and not for any good reason

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
how much of a loving worm do you have to be to put up with that kind of poo poo

i would understand if it were some uneducated no-hopers but these "people" have degrees, skills, work experience and such

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
waaah waah the meany ceo made me stay until 11pm :qq: :qq:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

how much of a loving worm do you have to be to put up with that kind of poo poo

i would understand if it were some uneducated no-hopers but these "people" have degrees, skills, work experience and such

until recently google and the other big fish in tech were complicit in preventing employees from jumping between each other, so probably they feared that theyd be unable to find a new job without taking an enormous pay cut.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

qirex posted:

one of the basic conceits of the ~*disruptor*~ attitude is that existing industries are the way they are because they're stupid and old and not for any good reason

bio 101 was easy so ive determined that medicine is easy

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Progressive JPEG posted:

bio 101 was easy so ive determined that medicine is easy

i liked this train of thought better when it was economics instead of bio and it resulted in everyone and their brother setting out to become multimillionaire daytraders

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

ufarn posted:

it's so loving hard to keep up with the clusterfucks at alphabet

http://www.statnews.com/2016/03/28/google-life-sciences-exodus/

all these stories read like the original bioshock only they never actually accomplished anything besides being crazy and full of themselves

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

The Management posted:

moonshot using rapidly exiting employees as thrust

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Necc0 posted:

all these stories read like the original bioshock only they never actually accomplished anything besides being crazy and full of themselves
"andrew conrad" even sounds like a video game villain

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Necc0 posted:

oh dont worry theyll be soon be underwater

ufarn
May 30, 2009
holy poo poo, the founder of dropcam (acquired by nest) decided to set the record straight and drive a wooden stake through fadell's heart

quote:

You may have seen Reed Albergotti’s recent article. In it, Tony Fadell says “a lot of the employees were not as good as we hoped,” and that Dropcam was “a very small team and unfortunately it wasn’t a very experienced team.”
I would almost find such blatant scapegoating amusing if it weren’t so insulting to the team. Given that, I feel compelled to set the record straight.

Just before we were acquired, Dropcam was in the middle of a record year of sales, had a 4.5-star bestselling camera on Amazon, was rolling into large brick-and-mortar retailers with huge merchandising support, had innovative new products imminently launching, still had most of its financing in the bank, and our investors and team actively didn’t want to sell (it was my mistake to sell — but that’s a story for another day). We created positive ROI marketing campaigns, mass-manufactured a sophisticated hardware device, and built a cloud video service that processed more incoming video than YouTube. We pioneered one of the first hardware-service models in our industry with a 40%+ conversion rate paid subscription and better-than-Netflix churn — now a gold standard used by VCs looking for related investments. And we accomplished all of this while remaining a really great place to work.

I can’t publish Dropcam’s revenue, but if you knew what percentage of all of Alphabet’s “other bets” revenue was brought in by the relatively tiny 100-person Dropcam team that Fadell derides, Nest itself would not look good in comparison. So, if Fadell wants to stick by his statement, I challenge him to release full financials (easy prediction: he won’t).

The ~50 Dropcam employees who resigned did so because they felt their ability to build great products being totally crushed. All of us have worked at big companies before, where it is harder to move fast. But this is something different, as evidenced by the continued lack of output from the currently 1200-person team and its virtually unlimited budget. According to LinkedIn, total attrition to date at Nest amounts to nearly 500 people, which suggests that we were not alone in our frustrations.

(...)

https://medium.com/@gduffy/the-dropcam-team-b9e81f44f259

fadell gets absolutely poo poo on and it's loving glorious

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Google's Project Ara phone was delayed because it broke apart when dropped

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

yeah idk how it took them months or years to actually test one of the most obvious potential problems with a legophone held together with magnets

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

cremnob posted:

Google's Project Ara phone was delayed because it broke apart when dropped

it's a metaphor for Alphabet

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

last I read 40% of the total volume of the legophone was structural and connectors

Last Chance posted:

it's a metaphor for Alphabet
they'll use shedding all these useless appendages as a way to buoy quarterly results for a while, maybe eventually spin off search and adwords into their own company

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i updated http://didgoogleshutdown.com with nest, boston dynamics and verily.

it's deploying right now

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
please redesign that website or shut it down that looks horrible

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
the only major visual problem is that the content is off center compared to the header and main picture

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Well, that and the fact that a table/list view for that sort of data would look much nicer and be easier to read than a three column tile thing.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Celexi posted:

please redesign that website or shut it down that looks horrible
please do this and then also add the google wallet card https://www.google.com/wallet/card/

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

PleasureKevin posted:

i updated http://didgoogleshutdown.com with nest, boston dynamics and verily.

it's deploying right now

wait do you manually update all that stuff? like, whats the point of that?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
better get used to it, react is the hottest thing in tech, all the cool kids do it

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
i love your site kevin dont listen to the haters please set up a patreon so i can express my love for your sites design and content

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

poty posted:

i love your site kevin dont listen to the haters please set up a patreon so i can express my love for your sites design and content

If you visited the site you would have found his patroon page

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6vPZx2VVp4

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
That's cool and creepy, but mostly cool

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

poty posted:

wow i can't wait to get my first patron

https://www.patreon.com/pleasurekevin

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

but what if your dad is a molester

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

google has some minions thing on their send button for april fools

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Last Chance posted:

google has some minions thing on their send button for april fools

yeah, lolhttps://twitter.com/waxpancake/status/715752594551869440

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/flashman/status/715758837312176133

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Last Chance posted:

Well, that and the fact that a table/list view for that sort of data would look much nicer and be easier to read than a three column tile thing.

ALWAYS THREE COLUMNS

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

:wtc:

whose idea was this?

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

oh my god i hope thats real

what a retarded company

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Wheany posted:

:wtc:

whose idea was this?

this is the company behind G+, it doesn't have to be any one person's idea. This kind of poo poo that disregards users' experience is an integral part of their company culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

cremnob posted:

oh my god i hope thats real

what a retarded company

it's real in the sense that gmail has a button that attaches a minion dropping the mic and then archives the thread without confirmation. i tried it.

i don't know if the part is real where people have been fired because they clicked on it, but considering how many users gmail has, probably.

• Locked thread