Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ninjew
Aug 3, 2004

mikeycp posted:

Here's another one. Whoever it is that actually owns the room should make a permanent one.

https://discord.gg/0u4xNK5cYx1QuCqC

https://discord.gg/0u4xNK5cYwzkmxCG this one should be permanent!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a good andriod app structured for learning Go? Also is there a separate app that people use to play go vs a good/maybe adjustable AI and maybe other people without a bunch of lovely ads (I will pay for it)?

Oh and since one of you nerds probably knows this all the same questions but for (duplicate) bridge.

I play the pokies but other than being able to see people playing Go or Bridge and know that they're playing Go or Bridge I don't know anything about either game.

Rama of Ra
Sep 7, 2005
~Where's Sitka? Right about the middle of your thumb.~

Dat rear end :captainpop:

This thread inspired me to take up the game. I've played like 150 games on the Igowin mobile app against the computer. I am now consistently in the 25k range (from 32). Am finally begun to recognize my mistakes, but I still don't feel like I get what I'm doing.

My question. Should I just start playing against humans and try to figure things out, or should I be studying? I am a poor and there is a dearth of mobile-available resources that I've found. The Igowin tutor really was barebones.

Does the KGS site work well on mobile?

Does anyone use PandaGo?

This is really fun and I've never screamed at a game like this since I was 12.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

you theoretically can play go on the online-go.com site on your phone. Or at least I can with Chrome. Not recommended, but possible.

I used GOdroid a lot to help me build up some 9x9 skills. The AI kind of breaks down in 19x19 in odd ways. Sometimes it makes fine moves, other times it's borderline suicidal. The AI plays 9x9 at about a 15k level I'd guess.

I also use tsumego pro to help with puzzles.

Play against humans. You can ask them questions. 150 games is a lot more than I've played, but because my games were correspondence games against humans I could take time to analyze stuff and learn a lot more than just spamming games against bots or in a blitz mode capacity.

Rama of Ra
Sep 7, 2005
I also feel like I play super fast because of how the ai instantly moves. How much time do you normally take to consider a move?

Admittedly, my thought process is limited to something like 'try to make a wall, try to make a wall, don't overextend, remember you need 2 eyes, gently caress ME HOW AM I BLOWING THIS'

I only have played 9x9 so far, since that's the only thing offered. I feel like that means I've only played like 25 real games.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Play tons and tons of fast games against real people on a 19x19 board

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Rama of Ra posted:

I also feel like I play super fast because of how the ai instantly moves. How much time do you normally take to consider a move?

Admittedly, my thought process is limited to something like 'try to make a wall, try to make a wall, don't overextend, remember you need 2 eyes, gently caress ME HOW AM I BLOWING THIS'

I only have played 9x9 so far, since that's the only thing offered. I feel like that means I've only played like 25 real games.

Depends on the game setup. Right now the goon mcmahon tournament has 1-week clocks banked and each move gives back 24 hours. So you could theoretically blow almost a full week on a single move if you wanted to. And sometimes it feels like some people do that.

Realistically? If you're in a live game maybe 10-90 seconds depending on the phase of the game and the complexity of the play at hand. In a typical correspondence I'll take between one minute for a simple move and an hour for a very complex move. The latter is only if I'm playing through entire chains of moves, trying to predict my opponent's responses and thinking up counters to them.

It's a substitution for reading experience. I'm trying to develop better instincts and gut, so I'm doing that a lot less at the moment, no more than 5-10 minutes for a move before I just say "fuckit" and go with what seems best after making sure it's not an obvious trap.

Rama of Ra
Sep 7, 2005

Pander posted:

In a typical correspondence I'll take between one minute for a simple move and an hour for a very complex move.

So. Since I have no concept of what a 'simple' vs 'complex' move is. (When I'm so dumb I get put into double Atari, I feel like the differentiation is pragmatically of little value). What does this mean for dumb-dumb level play?

When I was young I was strong at chess, and could play ahead. I don't get what 'strategy' in go means. I play tactics, and I get that I suffer for it. I have very little appreciation of 'a good shape'. Can I only progress with study/live play?

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
I've heard it said that low ranked amateurs should play fast all the time because they don't have a lot to think about, thus it's better to develop an instinct for shape and the general flow of the game, etc.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
My first win against a dan!!!

(I didn't count during the game)

Anyway I did some math and consider myself to be 1k now. It makes sense that KGS currently thinks I'm 1d because the difference in our calculations was that I included my unrated loss against fellow ITGOer impulse7.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Rama of Ra posted:

So. Since I have no concept of what a 'simple' vs 'complex' move is. (When I'm so dumb I get put into double Atari, I feel like the differentiation is pragmatically of little value). What does this mean for dumb-dumb level play?

When I was young I was strong at chess, and could play ahead. I don't get what 'strategy' in go means. I play tactics, and I get that I suffer for it. I have very little appreciation of 'a good shape'. Can I only progress with study/live play?
I got slaughtered my first 15 games or so. It happens. You don't really get things until it clicks. It just comes organically.

Simple vs complex is subjective I guess. I view it as "how much brainpower I need to put into my next move to make drat sure I don't screw it up." I'm borderline SDK (single-digit kyu, newish but not entirely wet behind the ears) and I still don't *get* early game fuseki stuff, like when to approach or enclose or split or how to make a framework. Instead I kinda stumble around drunkenly early game until mid-game, where my better sense of direction of play help me figure out more concrete 'good moves' instead of more abstract framework building. So for me, "simple" would be taking a knight jump approach to a 4-4, or taking the 5-4 after someone takes the 3-4. Complex is when I'm counting liberties to determine if my opponent's group is dead, and if/if not how best to exploit it for maximum gain.

poo poo look at me talking like I know anything. The gist is you can just play however you feel most comfortable. If you like to go to sensei's library to see how moves typically shake out, you can. I like to do that, and then go one step further, figuring out why the moves work and the general theory behind them. But you don't have to, you can just play moves and if you play enough and are okay with losing enough you'll 'get' why moves work after a while, especially if your opponent can teach you.

Rama of Ra
Sep 7, 2005
I think I need to understand more of the words being used around here and just what they look like on the board. I still am barely grasping what live and dead groups 'look' like, and completely rely on the ai to count points.

I feel almost like I win by luck no matter if it's by 1.5 points or 24. Sometimes the game ends and I lose by 80 points and I finally realize that we weren't tied. I dunno.

So I guess I'll start playing people and try to ask questions. This thread is really good and I'm glad I found it, even though 90% of the posts are still unintelligible to me. Maybe I'll go to the library tomorrow and look for a book but I'm doubtful they'll have anything.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I've been going through Graded Go Problems For Beginners (http://senseis.xmp.net/?GradedGoProblemsForBeginners) after buying them on the Go Books app for iPhone. I skipped volume 1 because it's mostly simple problems like where do you play after atari, but it does contain the basics of life and death. I really like the Go Books app, it gives good feedback if you make wrong moves, and you have the ability to play out variations in the app itself.

I'm still trash at go and haven't played many human matches, but I at least feel like I can see life or death situations better after doing these problems.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
i think i have reached the end of my improvement at ~5-8k or so, since i dont really have time to play a lot of games and read more than a book here and there. I dont really care though, the game is still fun.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
I wanna hit 1D. if I eat sleep and breathe go for a year maybe I can reach it

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Rama of Ra posted:

I think I need to understand more of the words being used around here and just what they look like on the board. I still am barely grasping what live and dead groups 'look' like, and completely rely on the ai to count points.

I feel almost like I win by luck no matter if it's by 1.5 points or 24. Sometimes the game ends and I lose by 80 points and I finally realize that we weren't tied. I dunno.

So I guess I'll start playing people and try to ask questions. This thread is really good and I'm glad I found it, even though 90% of the posts are still unintelligible to me. Maybe I'll go to the library tomorrow and look for a book but I'm doubtful they'll have anything.

Nobody knows what anything means at first, don't sweat it.

Hit me up for a non-ranked game on online-go.com sometime! Username should just be Pander.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Pander posted:

Nobody knows what anything means at first, don't sweat it.

Hit me up for a non-ranked game on online-go.com sometime! Username should just be Pander.

If this is an open invitation I may do this tonight, I played 4 games against a homie yesterday and in at least half of them I had "uhhhh so now what should I do?" moments, hah.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

sure. My schedule isn't amazing, but in a correspondence game with long deadlines it's not a problem.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Apparently earlier this month, wms gave up on KGS HTML client, created and documented a JSON API, and released a java program (without source code) that translates the JSON into KGS-intelligible binary.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Is there a major difference between the first and second editions of The Second Book of Go? The second edition is $90 on Amazon, while the first edition can be had for $20 on half.com.

Ninjew
Aug 3, 2004

Xom posted:

Apparently earlier this month, wms gave up on KGS HTML client, created and documented a JSON API, and released a java program (without source code) that translates the JSON into KGS-intelligible binary.

Yeah I saw this the other day. Whenever a discussion about KGS comes up I think its important to note that wms posts on google+ still.

As long as he still refuses to open source any of his stuff, KGS development will be stagnant. Nobody is going to bother working on it.

elementc
Dec 2, 2015
Rama, you would be better served playing against actual people at your level. Correspondence games won't do you any good at this point either. If you'd like help, teaching, reviews, explanations, whatever you want to call it... you should hang out on KGS in the ITGO room or even just ask random people on KGS for help. Muddling your way through the game is possible up to a point but takes a ridiculously long time and generally results in stagnation without at least some minimal guidance.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

HummedExplosions posted:

Is there a major difference between the first and second editions of The Second Book of Go? The second edition is $90 on Amazon, while the first edition can be had for $20 on half.com.

Amazon is overpriced for everything go related.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Pander posted:

sure. My schedule isn't amazing, but in a correspondence game with long deadlines it's not a problem.

I didn't get to this last night but I'm gonna do it tonight!

AdorableStar posted:

Amazon is overpriced for everything go related.

I just got the YMI 0.4" 9x9 bamboo board for like 16 bucks, that seems pretty sweet to me? The book prices do vary a lot more, you're right.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
I got my :10bux: cheapo stones off Amazon (five years ago).

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Let me change that to "go book" then.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Johnny Truant posted:

I didn't get to this last night but I'm gonna do it tonight!

I just got the YMI 0.4" 9x9 bamboo board for like 16 bucks, that seems pretty sweet to me? The book prices do vary a lot more, you're right.

I just noticed your post history for this thread. I find it kinda amusing you had made the same introductory post twice, only separated by 8 years.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Pander posted:

I just noticed your post history for this thread. I find it kinda amusing you had made the same introductory post twice, only separated by 8 years.

every time I thought I was out... THEY PULL ME BACK IN

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Symbolic Butt posted:

every time I thought I was out... THEY PULL ME BACK IN

Eve online

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Pander posted:

Oh my god that's great, I didn't even realize that!

At least I'm consistent, right?

Fake edit: is it more normal for the board to be more expensive than the stones, or vice versa?

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.

Pander posted:

This is probably a dumb question, but how do you check someone's post history in a specific thread?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

sunaurus posted:

This is probably a dumb question, but how do you check someone's post history in a specific thread?

Press the little question mark below to the person's avatar.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Johnny Truant posted:

Fake edit: is it more normal for the board to be more expensive than the stones, or vice versa?

This depends on the board and stones. If they're of similar quality or however you'd compare that, the board should be more expensive.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Pander - just sent you an online-go challenge! Prepare to beat me so badly that you might even be embarrassed...

impulse 7 effect
Jun 2, 2011

Rama of Ra posted:

Just had my first blue screen while trying to do this so all again:

Play more games, yes. Maybe no more than 5x30s/move. Find one thing you think is definitely a mistake and never do it again :)

There is a decent android app called ElyGo which has loads of tsumego in it. It starts real simple and progresses up through five levels. The cool thing is that a technique introduced in one problem will now reoccur throughout the later ones.

Any basic L&D go book is going to be helpful. It is possibly more beneficial to do lots and lots of easier problems quickly than only struggle through harder problems. You then get harder books and do the same again. You also get bonus mileage from the books in that you can turn them upside down/90' and do it all again and again. It will help massively when you come to a game and say 'hang on a second, i know this'. Or even better, 'stop doing that, it won't work'.

In the Beginning is a pretty cool Go book because it shows you some basic patterns you can start applying. There's another one from much latter and different series called something like 100 problems for baduk players vol 2. The second one has all the standard corners and side positions you will know and love.

Find an opening you like and stick to it. If you don't have one you like then go with 3-4s. Find a few joseki and stick with them. Then when it comes to your games you will again rapidly recognise the 'thats worth a few extra points' or even 'you just gave me a huge side and a target to attack in sente'. You can always learn more, later.

Good luck

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i have done it. i have reached zen go. a while ago i managed to stop caring about my rank, but only in as much as i didnt care what the number was exactly, but i still was very worried about improving. now i dont care about improving anymore. i could be 8k forever and be fine with it.
now i am truly free to enjoy go. yay me.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
So now that AlphaGo has ruined the game forever, I was curious if there existed any interest in variants online.

When you read a list of Go variants,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_variants
It mostly sounds like god-awful gimmickry. Maybe Tetromino-Go could be interesting, but not as interesting as actual Tetris-Go. Now, MarGo is a variant that allows you to slither over a barrier, but it seems like a lot more moves to play a game on the same size board.

One game that has an intriguingly simple premise is Oust by Marke Steere. Since there’s no Ko rule, the rules are arguably even simpler than the rules of Go:
1. You cannot grow a group (not even from one stone to two) without making a capture.
2. Captures are made when your group is larger (after your move) than some enemy group that it’s touching (after your move). All such smaller enemy groups are captured by that move.
3. If you make a capturing/growing move, you move again.

This is the best demo I could find of it being played: http://lifein19x19.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=5635

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I see lots of bots at the 27k and 20k level on kgs, but are there any higher? I'm new and like to take my time between moves, so either bots or correspondence would be best. If anyone else new would like to play me hit me up, I usually play 13x13.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Booyah- posted:

I see lots of bots at the 27k and 20k level on kgs, but are there any higher? I'm new and like to take my time between moves, so either bots or correspondence would be best. If anyone else new would like to play me hit me up, I usually play 13x13.

They go up to at least 1d (there might even be higher). However, all of them are extremely busy and not all of them put up open challenges in the Computer Go room. I think these ones tend to pick up your automatch challenges. I believe you can untick all but the bots box and get an appropriate strength bot when one is free.

But you should be playing humans. If time limits are your thing, just make a custom match in KGS and put a lot of time in there.

For correspondence, try OGS. There are always tons of correspondence games to pick up there.

EDIT: I feel like new players play bots because they're in some way ashamed of losing to a human. Losing to a human has about 1000 times the value as losing to a bot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
sometimes i want to play a bot because im at work and i can play a correspondence game and have them respond instantly, but i dont have to respond instantly. but yeah the ogs bots have been pretty much non functional for a while now. overloaded by the new people.