Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Wasn't "pretty poo poo" the conclusion someone playtesting one reached earlier in the thread

That was me. It was indeed pretty poo poo. Still excited for new zones and quests and stuff so i picked up the xpac anyways.

I would never have a shaman bhaalspawn but there is part of me that wants to jump into someones multiplayer game as one. RP as CHARNAMES special needs younger brother. The whole class seems to be made for gimmicky comic relief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
hahah there are two new character voice packs for each gender and they got david warner to do a mage soundset but he can't shake irenicus tones.

also, texture wise, SoD UI is miles better than the ugly blurry blue bullshit the EE had before.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 31, 2016

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

insanityv2 posted:

That was me. It was indeed pretty poo poo. Still excited for new zones and quests and stuff so i picked up the xpac anyways.

I would never have a shaman bhaalspawn but there is part of me that wants to jump into someones multiplayer game as one. RP as CHARNAMES special needs younger brother. The whole class seems to be made for gimmicky comic relief.

Isn't this just Imoen already

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
loving insane, i was able to import my goddamn highly modded BGT save after i had killed sarevok and it loaded fine. items vanished because certain mods are not installed but i can soon fix that. but all the npcs are there and with the equipment they had, minus mod ones. i was not expecting this. D:

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Vikar Jerome posted:

hahah there are two new character voice packs for each gender and they got david warner to do a mage soundset but he can't shake irenicus tones.

also, texture wise, SoD UI is miles better than the ugly blurry blue bullshit the EE had before.

Textures sure look a lot better yeah.

I only just started and where's all of Imoen's loot, game!? Bad enough you give me an inferior character to replace her, but she's gotta try matching up with an unenchanted Ninja-to and some generic Leather armor only?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Has anyone tried using the tweak pack with this yet? I ain't playing unless I can stack ammo & potions, goddamnit.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Vikar Jerome posted:

there's a dude converting the Pillars of Eternity hud into the game right now.

Yes, yes, yes!

Do I need to focus entirely on ranged in early IWD like in BG or is melee viable from level 1?

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 31, 2016

psudonym55
Nov 23, 2014
I can think of at least one encounter in the early game in IWD where having a lot of ranged power is very useful but it's a completely optional encounter. Other than that ranged is pretty drat powerful in early game iwd but i've done the whole early game with only melee with no real issue.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Arivia posted:

Isn't this just Imoen already
HEYA IT'S ME I SUMMONED A GHOST FOX! :kiddo:

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
have some keys

CC9MY-73CK6-VJKZA
35JNV-3E4ML-H2F93
BBC9L-0ZK24-5FDAH
YFJ8K-2F0AR-0D368
T7RIE-F9568-2LK9Y

sorry if you hate the game

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Wow, thanks dude, I was literally just about to buy it.

e: YFJ8K-2F0AR-0D368 is gone, I took it.

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

Kirk posted:

have some keys

CC9MY-73CK6-VJKZA
35JNV-3E4ML-H2F93
BBC9L-0ZK24-5FDAH
YFJ8K-2F0AR-0D368
T7RIE-F9568-2LK9Y

Thanks, you saved me $20. Took BBC9L-0ZK24-5FDAH.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I got the last one! :peanut:

Are swashbucklers OK as thieves if your only use for thief skills is lockpicking and trap detection? 15 points per level is not very much.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 31, 2016

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
The only thing Swashbucklers are good for is dual-classing if you don't care about losing Backstab, and you generally don't if you dual.

They can, theoretically, reach -25 AC and do some AC tanking (in BG2, but if you roll a Halfling or Gnome it might be possible in IWD as well). But then they still have Thief Saving Throws and Hit Points, so anything that their armor can't handle will hurt badly.
And they have no offensive output. Two attacks per round is all they ever get, and even with their bonuses to hit and damage that's not great.

Basically, just play a Fighter/Thief if you want a Thief that can hold his own in melee without backstabbing, or Mage/Thief if you really want the Thief to tank.

e: Also, don't Swashbucklers get the full 25 skill points?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Not with my mod set, they get 15 like Assassins. I think Might and Guile did this in exchange for a couple extra fightery benefits.

E: Might and Guile caused that change, to balance Assassins being able to get High Master proficiency in one-handed blades and a couple of unique talents of dubious utility. So I guess an Assassin is almost literally a multiclass fighter/thief with that mod.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Apr 1, 2016

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
If extra benefits means more attacks per round they might be okay, idk.

Vanilla Swashbucklers are pretty terrible unless you use them for dual-classing, that's all I can say.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man
Still no cross platform steamcloud saves?

Boo.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

OK, reading straight from the kit description:

Pros:
* -1 to AC and THAC0, with another -1 every 6 levels
* May achieve High Master (++++) proficiency in long swords, short swords, scimitar/wakizashi/ninjato, daggers, and darts
* Begin with one proficiency point in Single Weapon Style, may add one more
* Begin with one proficiency point in dual wielding, may add two more (up to +++)
* May use the per-rest skill Swashbuckling, which halves movement rate and gives an AC bonus of -1 every two levels, for a maximum of -10 (this sounds like it sucks, by the time you're level 20 a swashbuckler will have to compete for tanking with warrior classes who will beat your swashbuckling AC just by having better armor than you, will move much faster than you, and will have a poo poo-ton more HP). The idea seems to be that you can whirl around like Zorro to deflect attacks but this is just bad and a paladin, fighter, or cleric with red dragon scales or plate of Balduran is a much better idea than this.
* Swashbucklers get +1 to saves against breath weapons every 5 levels.

Cons:
* Cannot set traps
* 15 thief points per level
* Reduced power backstabs
* CANNOT DUAL CLASS TO FIGHTER

It sounds workable for someone who wants a lock/trap slave who can dish out serious DPS and take a bit in return but I can't say I'm very excited about it especially since the kit is compromised as a lock/trap slave.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 1, 2016

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
So far I've only barely started the opening dungeon of Siege of Dragonspear, and I like it for dungeon-crawliness at least. Already found one puzzle and solving it gave me a note with a hint for another puzzle in a different place altogether. Pretty fun so far!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Finished Spellhold. I've never gone in without persuading the other guys before, that you just immediately die is something that I thankfully didn't discover in an ironman!

psudonym55
Nov 23, 2014
I always just have Minsc talk to the pirate lord. It's some of my favorite dialogue in the game.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
First Dragonspear impressions:

I got a quest from a mummy, so that's cool.

The health bars are way too big, but I like them anyway.

Half my party is openly talking about desertion. :v:

e: And just now I found another Wand of Fire, my fourth one thanks to apparently not blowing all the charges throughout the BG1 game I imported. As if I hadn't been incinerating this whole dungeon anyway.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 1, 2016

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
It's like Christmas morning. :dance:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

its weird how the blackout lines on character sprites look better than they do in regular bg1 and bg2 areas. they don't look mess in this starting tomb.

also starting tomb is throwing all kinds of poo poo at me.

oh and there's a bug already, if you try to start a new game and then import a character, that character starts with no equipment for some reason. new characters get a few bits of end game gear and imported save games keep everything but containers but games carried on from the end get to keep everything. i dont think the container thing is a bug, just engine bullshit if i recall with how containers work.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Kirk posted:

have some keys

CC9MY-73CK6-VJKZA
35JNV-3E4ML-H2F93
BBC9L-0ZK24-5FDAH
YFJ8K-2F0AR-0D368
T7RIE-F9568-2LK9Y

I wanted to love it but that UI was so so bad. I actually liked the EE version before and would insta buy the xpac if there was a toggle to change back to it. Otherwise it a "wait for a sale" deal.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I like this UI mockup from a few years ago and I hope someone makes it real:

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Damm, I would pay $10 just for that.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

You can actually tell spell icons apart, it's amazing.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
The custom portrait thing almost drove me to madness. Instead of a dropdown list, you have to click through every drat one (believe me, I have a lot) until you find the one you want.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

who the gently caress is Korlasz suppose to be? the game and everyone is acting like she was some missing plot hole from the original game but i can't remember her at all?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Woolie Wool posted:

I like this UI mockup from a few years ago and I hope someone makes it real:

wont be long:

these are not mock ups btw, it's in-game. its super loving easy to build ui's now, the 2.0 pdf has all the details. (tho, i'm not 100% sure if you can do the spells like PoE but i'm sure someone will figure it out)

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 1, 2016

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
The patch has broken a lot (all?) of my mod contents. Text and options are coming up as "Invalid". You can still select them, but it just says "Invalid XXXXX".

Ah, found the reason

quote:

The update will clear your override folder and reset your dialog.tlk file. If you're in the middle of a playthrough with mods, I recommend at least backing up your installation so you can finish that playthrough.

I've tried reinstalling BG1NPC mod but it looks like it's failing to install/won't install/uninstall is stuck. :( Gets to the end "Copying and Patching 2000+ files..." and stops.

Looks like the BG NPC mod is dead. There's also a tweak to allow swords to be used 1 and 2 handed thats dead. Other mods give errors but don't crash the installer.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Apr 1, 2016

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Woolie Wool posted:

I got the last one! :peanut:

Are swashbucklers OK as thieves if your only use for thief skills is lockpicking and trap detection? 15 points per level is not very much.

Half-Orc Cleric-thief is great because you take two classes that you wish weren't mandatory and then you only use one character slot for both of them. Plus 19 strength with a sling is almost as much damage as two shots with a bow. But again, if you use kits and dual wielding and such the game is going to be stupid easy.

psudonym55
Nov 23, 2014

Washout posted:

Half-Orc Cleric-thief is great because you take two classes that you wish weren't mandatory and then you only use one character slot for both of them. Plus 19 strength with a sling is almost as much damage as two shots with a bow. But again, if you use kits and dual wielding and such the game is going to be stupid easy.

Backstabbing with a 19 strength quarterstaff also does a surprising amount of damage.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
So, I actually like Corwin. And Glint is surprisingly tolerable, I was expecting to hate him.
Not really warming up to Safana's new VA, though, which is a shame because she's always been one of my favorite companions in BG1, partially because her NPC Project writing is legit good.

Oh yeah, and can someone tell me what you do with those levers/the strange machine in the Korlasz family dungeon? In the end I just left because there was no journal entry for them, but I feel I must have missed something.

psudonym55 posted:

Backstabbing with a 19 strength quarterstaff also does a surprising amount of damage.
Righteous Magic backstabs are a beautiful thing.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
They made a bizarre change that makes multiplayer a lot more frustrating - you can no longer drag items out of other player's inventories. I know you always couldn't change their equipment, but now you can't even access their backpacks. Item management is a much bigger hassle now. I don't suppose there's any way to change it back? I don't see any option for it at all.

edit: Containers are broken for players who aren't the host. They can put gems and potions and scrolls into the appropriate bags, but can't get them back out again.

Mzbundifund fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Apr 1, 2016

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
BG1NPC mod is competently broken.

At least one of the other mods I'm trying to install stops the game loading at all, but I don't know which one.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Patches will completely gently caress over your mods, it's just a thing that happens when the game updates. If you run a modded copy you should have it outside of your Steam folder. I learned this the hard way!

If you have no backup, delete your installation, reinstall, and apply your mods from a clean installation.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Apr 1, 2016

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
Can you use eekeeper to add a kit to a multiclass?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

gender illusionist posted:

Can you use eekeeper to add a kit to a multiclass?

Yes. You can also do it to a dual class. It's been a year since I've done it to my Kensai / Swashbuckler, so I don't remember the details. But it's pretty straightforward. What I don't think you can do is make both classes have a kit at the same time.