Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
When some gets up from a knock-down and I try to grab them, usually the glowy light around us will turn orange and I'll get hurt/knocked back. What is happening?

Also, how do I not get instantly destroyed every time I am knocked down and they stroll over to me for a grab?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Bass Bottles posted:

When some gets up from a knock-down and I try to grab them, usually the glowy light around us will turn orange and I'll get hurt/knocked back. What is happening?

Also, how do I not get instantly destroyed every time I am knocked down and they stroll over to me for a grab?

In both scenarios, the answer is "attack button is being mashed"

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Bass Bottles posted:

Grabs are beaten out by normals, that is what is happening.

Counters beat normals, grabs beat counters, normals beat grabs. it's like pokemon starters water/grass/fire weakness triangle

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Bass Bottles posted:

You're protected from grabs when you're in the animation for a normal (meaning not a counter/blue flash) attack. The red flash means that the opponent is using a normal attack and whatever grab move you just used is negated. A lot of things that aren't really attacks can negate grabs like Mewtwo's teleport. Counters, no matter where in the animation you are, are vulnerable to grabs.

e;

IronicDongz posted:

Counters beat normals, grabs beat counters, normals beat grabs. it's like pokemon starters water/grass/fire weakness triangle

They're even the corresponding colors! Normals (Red/Fire) beats grabs (green/grass) beats counters (blue/water) beats normals

dromer fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Mar 29, 2016

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

IronicDongz posted:

Grabs are beaten out by normals, that is what is happening.

Hmm, okay. I thought maybe it was a specific type of attack because I swear that never works for me :(

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*
There are a couple of weird exceptions to the attack triangle: the one that comes to mind right now is that mewtwo spiral attack that is actually a counter, but is colored as an attack.

Other than that/depending on the character you play/the character they play, if you're knocked down you want to block meaties if they commit to an attack animation, attack if you think they're going to throw (or do it on reaction), and block/throw a counter.

Obviously if you get a knockdown on a character with a ranged throw (like gengar's hypnosis) or projectile counter you've got better oki options than if you're weavile (ice block shenanigans/empty jump dive kicks are all i've really got as him in my arsenal), so it's good to experiment with what you have :)

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Bass Bottles posted:

Hmm, okay. I thought maybe it was a specific type of attack because I swear that never works for me :(

Some attacks have more startup than others. You can get caught before a heavy attack with a grab because the attack hasn't "initiated" yet.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Bass Bottles posted:

Go to the training town, go to the practice dojo, pause the game and bring up your move list. It'll list Attack, Grab and Counter labels next to all of your normals and specials, and you can see what all of their individual properties are and know what they beat.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Mewtwo tips for self and potentially others:

- Some moves use up your synergy gauge (all your Pokemon moves do.)

-During synergy burst, your elemental punches (your down Pokemon moves) give defense debuffs so your burst does even more damage.

-Your high stance in duel mode recharges your synergy gauge.

-You can change the trajectory of your hyperbeam by holding left or right in field mode.

-Psystrike (your up Pokemon move in duel phase) does more damage if you time the button press for the second and third phase of the attack instead of mashing it. You'll flash and hear a "ding" if you do it right. The timing is the middle of the first hit (when you activate, is incredibly lenient) and immediately as you hit them with your tail (in the second phase, is incredibly tight). The different is 136 damage (perfecting the timing) versus 73 (just mashing), so you nearly do twice as much damage.

-All your field phase attacks that wind up with you homing towards your opponent can be canceled with guard into a dash.

-Your forward ranged attack in field is also a counter on top of being a normal.

-Your high stance strong attack makes you invincible to grabs on warmup.

-You can modify your forward weak combo in duel phase by pressing strong attack instead of weak attack for the second hit. Doing this makes your opponents able to block, but it's a combo if you land a charge counter attack first before going into your modified weak combo.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
So now that I'm over a thousand matches into ranked I have strong opinions on the strength of each character.
Here is my lovely unofficial tier list. Within tiers leftmost name is strongest.

S: Shadow Mewtwo
A: Pikachu, Gardevoir, Mewtwo, Braxien
B: Pikachu Libre, Chandelure, Weavile, Sceptile, Suicune, Gengar, Charizard
C: Blaziken,Garchomp, Machamp

S:Broken as all hell, should be banned due to block/hit infinites.
A:Otherwise top tier characters that don't have infinites
B:Characters with solid kits that are more than playable, you just have to work harder
C:Missing something, low damage grabs and lack of an invincible wakeup option coupled with mediocre zoning and risky offence. Still playable.

After some consideration I am placing Machamp in C tier. His position as the worst character in the game has not changed however.

The Gorp fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 1, 2016

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

I rarely see sceptiles or charizards online. I can't remember the last time I played against a Blaziken, either.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

someone tell me how to deal big damage with braixen because im getting really sick of putting in a ton of work to get my opponent to 1 hp and then dying in two hit confirms

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

sharrrk posted:

someone tell me how to deal big damage with braixen because im getting really sick of putting in a ton of work to get my opponent to 1 hp and then dying in two hit confirms

I made a post in the thread previously with some combo paths that utilize the Farfetch'd assist to get big damage off starters that otherwise wouldn't let you do as much, including neutral X and d+X. In general, though, the idea in Duel Phase seems to be ending combos in something that lets you tap B to get Sunny Day after (usually u+A Flamethrower) and then triggering the second level of the buff right away by releasing the A button that you've held from inputting the special. You can do this in neutral situations, too, like doing Fire Blast with b+[A],B and then releasing A when you're sure they've blocked it for the second boost.

Even one level of Sunny Day opens up some more combo options, though, since you now get the ability to follow up off of f+A Fire Spin and midair A or u+XX Flame Charge. Getting the second level of the boost gives you attack up though so it's worth getting used to getting both levels back to back off those specials that let you.

Reznor
Jan 15, 2006

Hot dinosnail action.

The Gorp posted:

So now that I'm over a thousand matches into ranked I have strong opinions on the strength of each character.

Machamp is a hero but he deserves his own tier for the sole reason that he should never win against a competent Shadow Mewtwo player, ever.

It is weird, I play him a bit and I can't tell but it feels like at any moment I am three hard predicts from victory.

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

The Gorp posted:

C:Missing something, low damage grabs and lack of an invincible wakeup option coupled with mediocre zoning and risky offence. Still playable.

What are a few examples of invincible wakeup options for the other characters?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

What if Nia got more competitive the higher your rank is

Like early on she does her usual "The most important thing is to have fun" but if you're at the top she's like "Yo pull the plug if it looks like you'll lose who cares about Pokedollars winning is literally all that matters"

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired

dromer posted:

What are a few examples of invincible wakeup options for the other characters?

Gangar as an example has up y, which is generally the move for it.
People like lucario and pikachu have up A which is flashier and more damaging but also more punishable on block.

To Reznor, I agree and would normally place him in the same bracket as the other two, but he can be completely locked out of opportunities against Shadow in addition to the fact that the higher up you go the more familiar and experienced people are with the champ. He's got some outright great matchups against otherwise solid characters like Libre, but a smart braixen or other devoted zoner knows how to hold Machamp back beyond simply spamming projectiles.

The Gorp fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Mar 30, 2016

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

What if Nia got more competitive the higher your rank is

Like early on she does her usual "The most important thing is to have fun" but if you're at the top she's like "Yo pull the plug if it looks like you'll lose who cares about Pokedollars winning is literally all that matters"

That would be the coolest

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Pikachu's up-A isn't invincible, it's a Counter-property move. The move list in training states the properties and special traits of every move and is worth reading.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
You cant grab it or do anything else through it, but fine.
I mean you can hold counterattack through it but that doesn't make the move less "invincible".

The Gorp fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Mar 30, 2016

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

If anyone here is playing Gardevoir, this dude's channel has some good content, including this short video of a pressure/lockdown pattern with the Quagsire support:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0S6-H4cpdY

I messed around with Gardevoir for a bit earlier, and it seems like it's almost always worth it to give up some damage at the end of a juggle and set up either a d+A or a b+A,X on the opponent's wakeup. b+A,X seems good to get out whenever possible just because having b+A charges stocked to make f+A better is always a good thing, too.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
as a blaziken main i agree with tossing him in c tier, but less because of the reasons given (its true though) and more because a good 50% of his attacks do recoil damage to him (hi jump kick, brave bird, i think even enhanced blaze kicks does it and thats probably his fastest move)

you can theoretically heal it all back since its all green health, but you're one hit away from losing it. he can take someone down from full to nothing in a few hits but one missed read and its hard to recover

i can appreciate that blaziken's A breaks counters though, i'm not sure if there are many attacks that can do that

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Just encountered someone with over 1000 games played and only 2 wins. They didn't move the entire match.

Are they randomly matching a second Wii U with people online hoping to eventually get matched up on their main account.... so they can grind rank in Friendly Match????

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Bass Bottles posted:

Just encountered someone with over 1000 games played and only 2 wins. They didn't move the entire match.

Are they randomly matching a second Wii U with people online hoping to eventually get matched up on their main account.... so they can grind rank in Friendly Match????

He's doing a pacifist run to A rank.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Bass Bottles posted:

Was it TwitchPlays?

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Broseph Brostar posted:

Was it TwitchPlays?

No it was just some guy

Didn't move at all, even when I ran around them in a circle for 30 seconds

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

A couple more Gardevoir things:

- Wall combo off the basic string: YYYY, b+A,A for 199 + 30 from the wallsplat

- Wall combo off f+X: f+X, full charged A+X, u+Y, YYY cancel 4A is 241 + 30 and leaves Gardevoir in the Calm Mind state during the Phase Shift. If you delay the press just right, this lets you throw the 4A,X Psychic projectile to chase them off the wallbounce.

The combo can also be started with YY cancel f+A as long as you have no Calm Mind stocks stored for 148 + 30 damage (Edit: This one is causing Phase Shift on Pikachu for me now so I'm not sure what's up).

If you start with f+Y, omit the u+Y for 221 + 30 damage. This combo path doesn't seem to work on Charizard since you need the tiniest of walks to connect the charged A+X which makes Charizard fall too low for the third hit of YYY later on.

- Ending the previous combo with the charge and release A move (held from the charged X+A previously) is 3 more damage but doesn't go straight into the Calm Mind.

- For pure damage at the wall, f+X, immediate midair A, charged u+Y works for 266 + 30 damage. You can instead end in the YYY cancel 4A thing for 246 + 30, five more than the other combo with the same ender. This one works on Charizard, too, but it's just a bit harder in general. Also, if your timing is off, the charged up+Y won't hit fully on smaller characters.

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 30, 2016

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired

Rafza posted:

i can appreciate that blaziken's A breaks counters though, i'm not sure if there are many attacks that can do that

Lots of moves have this property.

A fully charged Charizard Jumping Y.
Blazikens jumping A (hold button)
Chandelures up A
Other fully charged counters

These are moves that break counters and not ones that just beat counters. There are plenty of moves that last so long that they outright beat counterattacks unless they are invincible all the way to the end in the case of say Charizards megapunch or Garchomps back A.

Two examples of these type of moves are Machamps flurry of punches or Charizards jumping down A.

The Gorp fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Mar 31, 2016

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

The Gorp posted:

Lots of moves have this property.

A fully charged Charizard Jumping Y.
Blazikens jumping A (hold button)
Chandelures up A
Other fully charged counters

These are moves that break counters and not ones that just beat counters. There are plenty of moves that last so long that they outright beat counterattacks unless they are invincible all the way to the end in the case of say Charizards megapunch or Garchomps back A.

Two examples of these type of moves are Machamps flurry of punches or Charizards jumping down A.

oh neat, i haven't played against any charizards so i have no idea what he can do really, i should probably pick him up

on a different note: blazikens YYY into A (Hold) is completely safe, and if it hits its a free atk down + combos into down+y, down +y ; then you can rotom or y into blaze kicks to finish the combo. i want to play around more with victini instead of rotom though, since crits/hp seem super good on such a snowball-y character and extra synergy never hurts, since arguably blazikens burst mode is the best or one of the best in the game

a friend also showed me that you can cancel his duel phase Up + X (overhead kick) into air dash/kicks and its also safe; its not fast enough to dodge projectiles, but its an option

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm having difficulty breaking out of blockstrings from Pikachu and Pickachu Libre. After which moves should I try to counter or hit back?

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

dromer posted:

I'm having difficulty breaking out of blockstrings from Pikachu and Pickachu Libre. After which moves should I try to counter or hit back?

i could be wrong, but im pretty sure that every pokemon can be countered after Y Y and before their third Y hit. it requires decent timing but you can shift from block to counter and get them off of you

libre in particular is susceptible to counters, pikachu is just really good at all ranges

what I would do is hop into training, pick libre/pikachu and then your main as the CPU, set your main to permablock and grab on reaction, and throw things at him until you find what isn't safe

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:stare: I'm going to guess that online battles are meant for people who have already beaten the game? Even at E5, I'm getting my rear end kicked at something like a 12.5% win rate. My "One Every 1,000 Years" title is looking pretty bullshit now.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired

dromer posted:

Pikachu is bullshit, the unfortunate reality is they you need to play perfectly to stand a chance. One thing that is not commonly thought of is dashing forward when pikachu jumps as to avoid thunder or punish a wiffed jump attack.
Pika libre is actually pretty weak to counterattacks, most libres don't grab as often as they should because their pressure oddly enough doesn't support a solid grab game.
He's also vulnerable to invincible moves like the ones listed above that beat anything besides blocking - something Libre isn't commonly doing.

Among these two problems, pikachu is way harder to deal with - focus on Libre as much as that sort of thing is possible with random online opponents.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm going to revise my statement - single player is just extremely easy. I have a 90+% win rate in the League up to Red. :downs: So I'm guessing I haven't actually gotten any better. That's reassuring.

Weavile tips would, of course, be appreciated :ohdear: Characters like Charizard and Machamp destroy me.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Single player is always pretty bad for practicing fighting games. Just use it to unlock stuff and see what moves do what.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired

Pollyanna posted:

I'm going to revise my statement - single player is just extremely easy. I have a 90+% win rate in the League up to Red. :downs: So I'm guessing I haven't actually gotten any better. That's reassuring.

Weavile tips would, of course, be appreciated :ohdear: Characters like Charizard and Machamp destroy me.

Just because weaviles ideal location is at point blank doesn't mean he should be there.
Machamp and charizard are way better than you if you let them in or break the distance - the balancing factors of those characters is that they suck at breaking distance.

Learn how to play the game from a few character widths apart as weavile or pick a character with a simpler toolkit. While I hate to say "people shouldn't play X character" weavile is super hard and not beginner friendly at all.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Pollyanna posted:

:stare: I'm going to guess that online battles are meant for people who have already beaten the game? Even at E5, I'm getting my rear end kicked at something like a 12.5% win rate. My "One Every 1,000 Years" title is looking pretty bullshit now.

It's 'one win every 1000 years'

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

NTT posted:

It's 'one win every 1000 years'

Now it all makes sense!

also, "Ceil"

The Gorp posted:

Just because weaviles ideal location is at point blank doesn't mean he should be there.
Machamp and charizard are way better than you if you let them in or break the distance - the balancing factors of those characters is that they suck at breaking distance.

Learn how to play the game from a few character widths apart as weavile or pick a character with a simpler toolkit. While I hate to say "people shouldn't play X character" weavile is super hard and not beginner friendly at all.

:( But I like Weavile. I have been meaning to try out other characters too, though...

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Apr 1, 2016

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
PSA - lucario is fun as hell.
Guess im going back to C rank learning him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i really dont like fighting lucario but it might just be because im not yet used to him. i always think im out of his range but then he suddenly spawns a bone and hits me, and it hits above him too.

• Locked thread