Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Cingulate posted:

Yeah, but as I said, I'm not a strong man myself. Aurini doesn't look obviously physically disabled, so I'm not saying I'm confident I could beat him.

He looks like he would slap at you ineffectually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Cingulate posted:

Stalin was like 5'4 and Aurini was in some form of military. I'm not a strong man.
Also we don't say "mental retardation" anymore and it's considered one of the most offensive words, we say "Intellectual disability" now.

Pretty sure Stalin was in some form of army. Lol at retard being "one of the most offensive ".

Cingulate, people would like you more, or at least not facepalm when you show up if you stuck to pedanting about things you care about, positive or negative. The whole "I just don't like people being hyperbolic " shtick doesn't work well and you come off as defending really heinous poo poo.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Pretty sure Stalin was in some form of army. Lol at retard being "one of the most offensive ".

Cingulate, people would like you more, or at least not facepalm when you show up if you stuck to pedanting about things you care about, positive or negative. The whole "I just don't like people being hyperbolic " shtick doesn't work well and you come off as defending really heinous poo poo.
Stalin was 5'4 and had a crippled arm, and his army training probably consisted of being given a gun and insulted a bit. I've totally taken this into account when scientifically estimating my chances of beating up various figures famous for their politically idiosyncratic or extreme views.

And https://web.archive.org/web/20070320214418/http://www.bbc.co.uk/ouch/yourspace/worstwords/
(Got this one from wikipedia.)
I'm actually really into political correctness, much unlike my disabled friends ...

Literally The Worst posted:

He looks like he would slap at you ineffectually
Yes, he is a pathetic man, a sissy, much unlike you, who would very effectively and in a masculine fashion punch people right on the nose. You're cool.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Cingulate posted:

Yes, he is a pathetic man, a sissy, much unlike you, who would very effectively and in a masculine fashion punch people right on the nose. You're cool.

actually, forums user dickeye has a different preferred mode of violent assault

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Cingulate posted:

Says the guy who proudly declared he could beat up an elderly woman and a crippled man:

Cingulate posted:

I'm very confident I could beat up: Ayn Rand, Stalin, Pol Pot, Hitler, Goebbels, Moldbug, Scott, Noam Chomsky.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

LordSaturn posted:

actually, forums user dickeye has a different preferred mode of violent assault

I mostly just yell at people about comics and threaten to pee on them I dunno what you're talking about

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007
I'd like to think that, as the Cathedral's agents devoted to extinguishing freedom and fun, that we could at least muster the standards not to say "retard" in earnest.

(Making fun of certain types for being weak nerds is funny and acceptable insofar as it's a way of making fun of their macho pretensions, but I'm quite certain Moldbug doesn't actually fall into that category.)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Who What Now posted:

Says the guy who proudly declared he could beat up an elderly woman and a crippled man:

To be fair Ayn Rand wasn't always an elderly woman.

Actually wait no I have no evidence of that, she looks weirdly old even in young pictures of her.

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007

Oligopsony posted:

I'd like to think that, as the Cathedral's agents devoted to extinguishing freedom and fun, that we could at least muster the standards not to say "retard" in earnest.

(Making fun of certain types for being weak nerds is funny and acceptable insofar as it's a way of making fun of their macho pretensions, but I'm quite certain Moldbug doesn't actually fall into that category.)

Now you might be asking, "by what authority do you make these arbitrary pronouncements?" Well, if you had read more Dark Lumineers, you would know that as a Puritan Brahmin of the Cathedral, I have the authority to pronounce fatwas.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Oligopsony posted:

:agreed:

Oligopsony posted:

I mean maybe not directly but he wants to be god-emperor-patriarch of the kingdom of cyber-america or whatever which I think qualifies him as a valid target for shoving in a locker and giving wedgies.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Who What Now posted:

I could beat up your mum.

Edit: multiple crippled men!

Oligopsony posted:

Seems sensible to me. Shades of grey, I like them.

I've changed my opinion. Literally The Worst, you have my blessing in calling out Aurini on lacking masculinity.

Cingulate has a new favorite as of 16:46 on Mar 31, 2016

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

:agreed:

I mean maybe not directly but he wants to be god-emperor-patriarch of the kingdom of cyber-america or whatever which I think qualifies him as a valid target for shoving in a locker and giving wedgies.
I think Moldbug probably rather fancies himself the Grey Eminence in the background, or the obscure writer who is quoted as literal inspiration by the guy who actually orders the slave trade to be reopened.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
For everyone's convenience, I've cherry-picked the quotes sounding the most offensive when taken completely out of context out of Scott's most recent post:

quote:

Should we round up everybody from the ghetto and stick them in prison? This policy would have a number of advantages. Many people in the ghetto are desperately poor and living in terrible conditions. Many die before their time. They often make middle-class people who come across them profoundly uncomfortable. And their crime rate is much higher than that of the non-ghetto population. All the advantages of institutionalizing the mentally ill also apply to institutionalizing people in ghettos.
So am I okay with this causing some people to freeze to death? Yes.
I think the solution in this case is to tell the ACLU to take a chill pill
I like hippie-bashing as much as anyone else
I’ve referred some of these people to involuntary long-term institutions ..., I don’t feel guilty at all, and in most cases I am pretty sure the general public would be pretty grateful to me if they knew the gory details.
Article is pretty okay, I've just forwarded it to my wife.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Cingulate posted:

I think Moldbug probably rather fancies himself the Grey Eminence in the background, or the obscure writer who is quoted as literal inspiration by the guy who actually orders the slave trade to be reopened.

Yeah, Moldbug's gimmick is "I'm a nice guy and wouldn't want to do this, but someone needs to take a firm hand and suppress/kick out all the degenerates."

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Patrick Spens posted:

Yeah, Moldbug's gimmick is "I'm a nice guy and wouldn't want to do this, but someone needs to take a firm hand and suppress/kick out all the degenerates."

I always interpreted that the same way I interpret the whole "hitler never gave the explicit verbatim order "kill all the jews" so it's not his fault!" thing

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I always interpreted that the same way I interpret the whole "hitler never gave the explicit verbatim order "kill all the jews" so it's not his fault!" thing
He reminds me much more of a Speer or a Goebbels. He's really not very similar to Hitler. He's not the guy to order, but rather the guy who draws up the plan and provides the moral justification.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Cingulate posted:

I could beat up your mum.

Edit: multiple crippled men!

I wish I could hand wave away hypocrisy half as easily as you do.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

I love Private Eye

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

TinTower posted:

I love Private Eye

That reads like distilled schizophrenia.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Cingulate posted:

Stalin was like 5'4 and Aurini was in some form of military. I'm not a strong man.
Also we don't say "mental retardation" anymore and it's considered one of the most offensive words, we say "Intellectual disability" now.

Stop it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Who What Now posted:

That reads like distilled schizophrenia.

It's a parody, but it's remarkably close to the real thing.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What do women have to do with the government? Does that guy just live in super-poverty because he hates taxes?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jack Gladney posted:

What do women have to do with the government? Does that guy just live in super-poverty because he hates taxes?

Again, it's a parody (Private Eye is a satirical paper - kind of like the Onion, but with actual serious political coverage), but the rugged, chaste independence fetishised by MenGoingTheirOwnWay gels very well with libertarian ideology. Plus, they think they're living in an oppressive matriarchy, which would logically make the government part of that.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Jack Gladney posted:

I believe the idea is that the government's generous subsidies for unwed mothers and free slut pills (citation needed) make it so that women don't need to be economically dependent on men quite so badly, which of course means if you're an rear end in a top hat, you can't have the hope of holding your money over someone.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That's not what hypergamy means :arghfist::science:

Cingulate has a new favorite as of 21:53 on Mar 31, 2016

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Cingulate, are you British? That'd explain so, so much about how you post.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cingulate posted:

That's not what hypergamy means :arghfist::science:

Have no fear, when I threatened to beat up your mum, I was in fact just joshing.

It's what hypergamy means to anyone who actually uses the word 'hypergamy' in conversation. Seriously, try Googling it.

To be honest, it's not vastly separate from the dictionary definition (the act of marrying someone of a higher social status). You know, by Internet hate group standards. It's just a very cynical interpretation.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Peztopiary posted:

Nope!

Darth Walrus posted:

It's what hypergamy means to anyone who actually uses the word 'hypergamy' in conversation. Seriously, try Googling it.

To be honest, it's not vastly separate from the dictionary definition (the act of marrying someone of a higher social status). You know, by Internet hate group standards.
Okay, on further reflection I admit you're correct on both counts.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
http://thefederalist.com/2016/03/30/the-intellectual-case-for-trump-i-why-the-white-nationalist-support/

Posting this mainly because the last sentence is hilarious (h/t to Popehat):

Mytheos Holt posted:

Otherwise, the people damaged by multicultural, leftist attacks on Western civilization will be thoroughly justified in sneering at us as proverbial “cuckservatives” forever mentally masturbating with our own empty universalism while barbarism rapes Lady Liberty.

George Orwell posted:

People who write in this manner usually have a general emotional meaning—they dislike one thing and want to express solidarity with another—but they are not interested in the detail of what they are saying.

Also, that final metaphor makes me think of Kelly's cartoons from the Onion.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

What kind of stupid-rear end name is Mytheos Holt?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That's the man who looks like a fat 12-year-old dressing up in his dad's suit by stuffing newspaper in the shoulders.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Jack Gladney posted:

That's the man who looks like a fat 12-year-old dressing up in his dad's suit by stuffing newspaper in the shoulders.

Oh that guy! Scott got really angry that people made fun of his appearance and it was hilarious.

http://slatestarcodex.com/2014/11/23/links-1114-i-link-therefore-i-am/

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Cingulate posted:

Like, I'd murder Hitler in a fair fight. No contest. I could probably beat up Scott and Hitler at the same time.

Nobody can beat me in a fair fight. Fair fights are for suckers.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Peztopiary posted:

He's German, which is even worse imo

Caveatimperator
Oct 30, 2012

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Oh that guy! Scott got really angry that people made fun of his appearance and it was hilarious.

http://slatestarcodex.com/2014/11/23/links-1114-i-link-therefore-i-am/

And his source is the Daily Caller. Of course it is.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I forgot just how much that guy looks like Biff from the bad 1985.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
He just looked like a wax figure in that one pic with the cigar.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Peztopiary posted:

No, but he often hunts in Berkshire.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So here's a shitshow.

ClarkHat made an Indiegogo to "save" LambdaConf from being politicized... by raising money for an obviously political group (Status 451) to sponsor the conference.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/save-lambdaconf-and-an-open-society--3#/

They've already fleeced $16,000 from idiots so far. Now I guess LamdaConf can be saved by having a political organization that has nothing to do with functional programming sponsor it in order to make a point against politicization.

https://twitter.com/ClarkHat/status/716242082696921088
https://twitter.com/ClarkHat/status/716242267028193280
https://twitter.com/ClarkHat/status/716242401682132992
https://twitter.com/ClarkHat/status/716242669345882112

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Is 16,000 even close to what LambdaConf would need to recoup the loss from their sponsors leaving in droves?

I'm guessing no but I'm curious about the operating costs for a convention like that, seeing how I just found out about them a week or so ago