Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

:staredog:
Don't mind me, gents. I'll see myself to the door.

I notice that all 3 down stairs and two of the three upstairs are in that room. Actually going back upstairs immediately seems kind of pointless, as nobody would follow me and I'd eat a few kicks to the teeth coming downstairs if I don't pick the one that is in this room. I have to come back here eventually to go down further. Do I just fire off an AoE, run back upstairs and hope to kite them somewhere I can fight one at a time, rinse and repeat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
If you are playing trunk, they auto map which stairs connect to which if you seen both sets. I would think that is the case because you are missing the asterisk on the other up stairs.

Go back up and use the down stairs that is still unknown, clear the rest of the floor and hope for a hatch down? Or dig into afterwords if that is an option.

EDIT: Just noticed the .18(whatevers) at top of screen shot, so yeah, go back up and the only downstairs you ain't taken would lead to outside of that horrible room.

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Mar 30, 2016

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Zaodai posted:

:staredog:
Don't mind me, gents. I'll see myself to the door.

I notice that all 3 down stairs and two of the three upstairs are in that room. Actually going back upstairs immediately seems kind of pointless, as nobody would follow me and I'd eat a few kicks to the teeth coming downstairs if I don't pick the one that is in this room. I have to come back here eventually to go down further. Do I just fire off an AoE, run back upstairs and hope to kite them somewhere I can fight one at a time, rinse and repeat?

You're playing 0.18a0 so I'm going to guess it's also a recent build, in which case the (relatively) safe down-staircase on the previous floor will be the only one marked [*] since you've seen two up-stairs on this floor.

edit: ha.

Bad thing about retreating upstairs is going to be that Psyche will get ~3 actions before your next turn, so you may be paralyzed or banished or just plain dead depending on what weapon she has and how hard the RNG is laughing right now.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Mar 30, 2016

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Oh God, they do follow you up the stairs. I thought if you came down the stairs and immediately went back up, you got a "free" turn and they wouldn't follow you. So now I'm up a level but still completely surrounded. :gonk:

I'm sort of tempted just to read some unID scrolls. Blink would get me out free. Fear would presumably be fine. I might be dead by the time teleport goes off. My other option is trying to bash my way through an orc priest wizard and funnel them into a choke. Hm.

[EDIT] Found Fear! Didn't affect Psyche or the Orc Wizard (who both went invis), but it bought be breathing room to kill them. that was intense as hell.

Zaodai fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Mar 30, 2016

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Also, it turns out all three sets of stairs from the previous level are apparently in that room, it just lists the one I was standing on separately. So that level is just a brutal rear end-gently caress you can't avoid. That's not particularly enjoyable.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Oh poo poo, didn't notice the upstairs the orc was standing on, so yeah, sorry for bum advice.

That don't seem right. Wondering if that is a bug because I have never had a whole floor that was that small and condensed.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

LordSloth posted:

you'll need enough firepower to take down a hydra whether it is an unstoppable undead army, bolt of draining, agony, or entirely other skillset

Is agony really an anti-hydra option? I haven't really played necromancy guys but I know from playing En that they have pretty high MR for lair.

World Famous W posted:

Oh poo poo, didn't notice the upstairs the orc was standing on, so yeah, sorry for bum advice.

That don't seem right. Wondering if that is a bug because I have never had a whole floor that was that small and condensed.

Yeah it definitely looks like a level gen bug or something if all six stairs are in there. If you identify ?mapping try to head back to that floor to use one, see what's up.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

World Famous W posted:

No harm on the advice. I didn't really have many options and I didn't realize all three stairs were there myself. I did manage to survive it, though I admit it was mostly luck and prayer. Of both the "Makhleb, kill these bastards!" and the "OH GOD, OH GOD, SOMEONE SAVE ME!" varieties.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Yeah it definitely looks like a level gen bug or something if all six stairs are in there. If you identify ?mapping try to head back to that floor to use one, see what's up.

Happened to have it identified because it was my second most common scroll. Here you go:

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Ayep, that looks like a bug.

On a different subject that is still linked to that image, how many here kill Pikel's slaves after he is dead just so you don't have annoying neutral characters wandering around and getting in your way? Cause I slay those bastards every time, lack of exp gain be damned.

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Mar 30, 2016

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

I leave them be, sometimes they even help fight my enemies if they're around (I may be imagining that, am I imagining it?).

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Unimpressed posted:

I leave them be, sometimes they even help fight my enemies if they're around (I may be imagining that, am I imagining it?).

Yeah neutral monsters will definitely fight other monsters. Elyvilon would be a lot worse if they didn't.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

dungeon_encompass_fuckuyo

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Zaodai posted:

Happened to have it identified because it was my second most common scroll. Here you go:

Come back with wands of digging/disintegration and tunnel out some sweet pixel art.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Four manuals of long blades in a single shop O_O

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

mitztronic posted:

Guess you're a samurai now.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

I am Otis posted:

Guess you're a samurai now.

If only they weren't 1700 gold each...

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Is agony really an anti-hydra option? I haven't really played necromancy guys but I know from playing En that they have pretty high MR for lair.

Not especially, nope. Yes, pretty high MR for lair, but not unstoppable with a necromancer that has doubled down with kiku. The real problem is that it can't kill anything anyways, and the somewhat unpredictable gifts of kiku. In the (second to) worst spell scenario but the best tactical situation I would try to land two successful agonies, then unload wands and finally have the zombies fight. If it's anything like wands, it shouldn't be impossible to work it up to 40-50%.

On review, it looks like
Agony or excruciating wounds
Bolt of draining or simulacra or death channel
Animate dead is guaranteed to necro and kiku both.

While Hydra MR is nasty, especially at lair 1&2, it is still only at 60, not a huge obstacle to overpower once you get further on.

Edit: For example, with some random wizmode character I quickly created a hydra to test. Agony, 10 int, 6 spellcasting, and 13 necromancy is giving me a 70% chance to affect a four-headed hydra. That doesn't strike me as a hard standard to exceed.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 30, 2016

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

So anyone ever got both the pandemonium portal orc endvault and the hell portal lair one in the same game?

Try and get all runes before entering the depths.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
i love this game

i hate this game

i hate myself

guess i'll play another

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

mitztronic posted:

If only they weren't 1700 gold each...

You could always go zag

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

resistentialism posted:

So anyone ever got both the pandemonium portal orc endvault and the hell portal lair one in the same game?

I've had both of those in one game. I didn't try for all runes before depths because I was a casting cat and those guys need hells of exp for killing poo poo on top of my having to change my targeted level nine spell halfway through the game because sometimes 15 fire skill makes Veh think you want Shatter. I might have tried for it if it was a tourney game.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

mitztronic posted:

Was it an L alphashop?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

resistentialism posted:

I got them both last tournament, I can't remember if I actually won that game though

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Nicolae Carpathia posted:

Was it an L alphashop?

Those are good shops. I had an N shop with a book of Necromancy, the Necromonicon, and three manuals of Necromancy.

And a scroll of Noise.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

You will now automatically eat food if you are about to starve to death. Pretty good quality of life change that I would rank up with not letting people step into deep water/lava to die, even if death cobs hadn't already been changed.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
That's a good rear end change

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

Darox posted:

Those are good shops. I had an N shop with a book of Necromancy, the Necromonicon, and three manuals of Necromancy.

And a scroll of Noise.

I'm debating making a change so the shops will only have one of each given item, mostly to cut down on so many manuals, but maybe there's other ways to fix that, if it's even a problem.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

They should just silently removed hungerdeath in a patch disguised like that one, so that hunger only affects spellcasting and berserk ability (and ghouls and vampires and basically no one). No one will notice for months.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think being at starving also gives you a large slaying penalty or something similar

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

cheetah7071 posted:

I think being at starving also gives you a large slaying penalty or something similar

It should give you a bonus, but only for Bite attacks.

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
Thoughts after coming back and getting a guy who didn't die on the first few floors:

* Qazlal is a lot of fun, except every level gets played like the last floor of vaults. Stair dance :v
* First time I've played with ziggurats, what a great addition to the game
* The invoke elemental items (lamp of fire, fan, etc.) are super powerful/useful/fun
* Reflect on a shield is awesome and picked me up a ton of kills
* Webtiles is really high quality

Some questions:

* Is GDA still awesome or should I be looking for something else in end-game melee armour?
* Is the only way to deal with smiters still 'break LOS' and 'hope RNG means I don't take 100 damage'?
* rCorr seems pretty unnecessary now, right?
* Is there a general rule to know I should be strong enough to do post-game stuff (ex. pips, AC) instead of just ending at a 3 rune run?

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

GDA is still really great, but super heavy. It's best feature is that it's the best armour you can reasonably expect to find. You'll probably be able to make one on vaults:5, or if you get unlucky you can still find one in zot.
Still need to back into corridors with orc priests, basically.
Corrosion is a tactical threat instead of strategic one. You'll run into yellow/grey entropy weavers that will pretty quickly make your armour and weapons pretty pitiful. rCorr helps a bit with them.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

atastypie posted:

* Is GDA still awesome or should I be looking for something else in end-game melee armour?
* Is the only way to deal with smiters still 'break LOS' and 'hope RNG means I don't take 100 damage'?
* Is there a general rule to know I should be strong enough to do post-game stuff (ex. pips, AC) instead of just ending at a 3 rune run?
GDA is better than it has been, the only problem is finding it at a useful time on an appropriate character. You've passed that point so just keep enchanting it.
You can smite them right back with Qazlal.
rCorr is mostly useful in Slime, but there are other corroding enemies so it can be useful to swap to elsewhere.
Hard to say a general rule, just be prepared for the place where you're going. Most characters that can win can get more runes.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

kaschei posted:

They should just silently removed hungerdeath in a patch disguised like that one, so that hunger only affects spellcasting and berserk ability (and ghouls and vampires and basically no one). No one will notice for months.

Honestly, give Starving a negative effect roughly comparable in severity to hitting 0 in a stat, and remove death by starvation altogether.

Then put a goofy Breatharian challenge banner in the next tourney that's just "literally never eat any food. Ever" and rank 1 requires reaching Lair, rank 2 requires a win, and rank 3 requires 15-runing.

e: mummies and vampires need not apply, obviously, and porridge potions count as food

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Apr 1, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Gozag recommend rubbing coins all over your body for nutrition instead.

apple
May 18, 2003

The only problem with no starvation deaths is that I'm sure developers want you to die somehow for sitting in one place for too long. Otherwise you can contemplate exhausting OOD spawns on a floor to get some extra experience, so starving would have to have such a lethal effect you may as well just be insta-dead upon hitting 0 satiation, so I'm not sure how you would change that in a meaningful way.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

apple posted:

The only problem with no starvation deaths is that I'm sure developers want you to die somehow for sitting in one place for too long. Otherwise you can contemplate exhausting OOD spawns on a floor to get some extra experience, so starving would have to have such a lethal effect you may as well just be insta-dead upon hitting 0 satiation, so I'm not sure how you would change that in a meaningful way.
On the other hand, Mummies and Vampires exist

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

atastypie posted:

Some questions:

Sort of. Still need to focus on breaking LOS, but there are a good set of options for that. Scrolls of Fog are rather handy in extended, for instance.
More importantly, rCorr. Shrikes, Weavers, and Acid Bolt spells. In the short term corrosion is a LOT more scary. If you're tab happy, you could end up with -20 AC/Slaying easy. The temporary effect is a lot scarier in the short term, you can't ignore rCorr just by having artifact armor. But the long term impact of corrosion is negligible (carefully managed, panicked escapes burning consumables, or death depending on how long it takes you to notice and stop tabbing).

Seriously, treat Shrikes as assholes of the highest order. They're easy to underestimate for looking like birds, but I fear them more than Executioners, Dragons, Orbs of Fire, and Ancient Lichs. At least on heavy armor tanks. Outside of Slime Pits and Shrikes, acid isn't so much a lethal threat as a serious tactical issue. It generally doesn't pile on fast enough that you can't compensate even without rCorr, esp. since you can just rest it off as long as you're not cornered and the source of it usually can't outrun or outlast you. That said, corrosion can still get quite scary in the Slime Pits even WITH resist corrosion, so DO slow down when you see it show up in more normal situations. Tabbing will lead to your death by something as silly as say yaktaurs when you could have just walked away a few turns and a few dozen AC earlier.

apple
May 18, 2003

kaschei posted:

On the other hand, Mummies and Vampires exist

As someone who's dabbled in mummies and vampires fairly often, their lack of food clock is open to pretty scummy play, but I've only had success Xomscumming and not abusing OOD spawns for extra XP. Even with massive starving penalties though, unless it's basically "I may as well be dead" you could probably do the same Xomscumming with other races. If you can spot a OOD monster, run away, eat and fully recover you could probably use better races to give OOD monsters a better fight.

Then again, would it really matter? This would be extremely time consuming anyway and as the saying goes: "The DevTeam has arranged an automatic and savage punishment for pudding farming. It's called pudding farming."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Isn't the main point of xomscumming the occasional benemuts he throws at you? Those ain't gonna stick to a mummy or a bloodless vampire.

• Locked thread