Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
Repair shops can actually get a certification from Apple?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
well like here in NZ there are no apple shops so yeah

Hemick
Mar 4, 2007

trilljester posted:

They're Apple Authorized Service Providers, but yeah. In *most* cases they're only swapping devices but there are some that actually do real work. Like every Best Buy is considered an AASP but hosed if they actually do anything but mail an iPhone out. I know there are definitely ones that can do Screen Repairs and Calibration and Touch ID replacement stuff.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Hemick posted:

I watched the video, none of it surprised me, because the iPad in question was used primarily by a child and dropped and damaged. It's _extremely_ likely that there was some liquid inside of the device, even if the LCI's aren't lighting up. The only actual defect we can prove here is that the underfill was missing on the power management chip, and this is assuming the customer that sent her the device actually received the replacement from Apple and not a device insurance company like Asurion. Most people seriously *do not know* the difference, or don't think it matters.

Speculation aside, her information was sound, and if she found an instance where as a third party repair technician she found that Apple had provided water damaged components on a replacement unit, guess what, stop the video there. Give that information to her customer and send them back to Apple with video proof that Apple hosed it up. I'd even say still post it on the internet, because that's an effective way to get people in power to listen and investigate why they hosed up.

But she kept talking and started bitching about fanboys and "new to you" and how Apple views INDEPENDENT repairs as inferior, and I read her video description and all it did was poison everything she had just displayed. She's right on all of the technical matters, and _nothing the gently caress else_ and even the biggest idiot that's ever worked at an Apple Authorized Service Provider would know that she's only pissed because if she does a repair on an iPad and a customer takes it in for an official repair later, they'll be told "sorry, we aren't touching it".

e: tldr gently caress I tilted on something dumb that I shouldn't give a gently caress about, leaving this up in shame.

i didnt watch the video and i agree

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

my steve phone is here. it's so loving fast holy poo poo. truly it is blessed by the spirit of Steve

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

also I think it looks better without the shiny edges tbqh

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

:horse:
Apple TV remote now correctly controls the volume of Bluetooth audio devices. you should all grab a cheap Bluetooth receiver on Amazon so you can get wireless headphones

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

lol @ using headphones in your own home. run your hifi at a thunderous volume and never turn it down.

Hemick
Mar 4, 2007

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

Apple TV remote now correctly controls the volume of Bluetooth audio devices. you should all grab a cheap Bluetooth receiver on Amazon so you can get wireless headphones

tvOS 9.2 also fixed the HDMI-CEC controls (and the part where it sometimes triggers at random). It turns my TV on, moves my HDMI switch to the right input, my TV to the HDMI switch input when I bring it out of sleep or AirPlay to it, instead of "roll 2d3 and do those two things".

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
nice now I just need to find where the child has hidden the remote

Hemick
Mar 4, 2007

ahmeni posted:

nice now I just need to find where the child has hidden the remote

Where we're going we don't NEED remotes

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/remote/id284417350?mt=8

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

idk if the SE has taptic but the vibration does feel different from the 5s, more like the 6/6+

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

SE is in my bag but I can't use it yet because work doesn't have wifi and I can't restore from backup

truly, life is suffering

Hemick
Mar 4, 2007

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

SE is in my bag but I can't use it yet because work doesn't have wifi and I can't restore from backup

truly, life is suffering

make sure you update it to 9.3.1 so you don't get dat safari bug.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

ifixit says they added rubber gaskets to the buttons like on the iPhone 6 (but not as extensively waterproofed as the 6s)

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
man iPhone SE isn't really hyping up the apple crowd

it might be the new Apple Watch

https://www.twitter.com/Stefan_Hajek/status/715573642399232002

although the iPhone phablet is still the best

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

you don't need to line up for iphones anymore because you can just order them. and they have lots in the store

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

ironically this requires the remote to setup initially

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

the SE is good

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

THC posted:

the SE is good

the SE are good :eng101:

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
9.3.1 update out

fixes freezing in safari and other apps

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

love apples qc

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

nice! audio quality is markedly improved vs the 5s

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat
anyone get the new iPad Pro Jr.?

I'm still on the original air and it still works fine. But I would like more speakers I must say

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

can i just like, walk into an apple store and buy the stebe edition? or do you need to order it

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

fart simpson posted:

can i just like, walk into an apple store and buy the stebe edition? or do you need to order it

with the lukewarm response so far, go for it

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i guess ill just try it out. im only in america for like a week so it's my only option

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
taylor swift apple music ad

like 8 touches and swipes before any music comes out

lo
ma
rf

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

stevephone 2016 review: good

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
Apple Music is confirmed good https://instagram.com/p/BDqGp0JDvPa/

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

trilljester posted:

unless they changed things from the way it was years ago, they always could but it requires that the person on staff actually has all the apple certifications for anything they're going to repair. if apple hasn't actually given a person the go ahead to open an iphone, all they can do is mail it off. when i worked at an apple certified repair place forever ago it was broken up by product line. some places could repair imacs but not macbooks etc.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

who hates cardio

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my wife was telling a guy how she doesn't like the OS and I was like "the hardware is lovely though" and then she reminded me it was out of service for almost two weeks within owning it for 2 months and well I didn't really have a comeback

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PleasureKevin posted:

who hates cardio

I do. it's the worst. I hate that it's also important

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Steve Edition

Apr 7, 2003

Steve Expired

Apr 7, 2003

Sexually Explicit

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
System Expansion

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
http://hackaday.com/2016/04/01/apple-introduces-their-answer-to-the-raspberry-pi/

im pretty sure a joke, but wow the detail they put into it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah

• Locked thread