Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

I take back every critical thing I've said, this is the show of the year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Next year's inside reference for New Yorkers, Pizzarat.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I'm wrapping up the season now and I definitely think the second half of the season is in decline compared to the first half. The first 4 episodes make a pretty solid Punisher arc, they could have been a mini-series themselves, and then the show kinda scuffles figuring out what to do next. Bernthal is great, he's captivating whenever he's onscreen, and its also a pleasure to see D'Onofrio back, as a Kingpin thats clearly beginning to enjoy himself a little bit more. The jail bits were great, and that fight in the cell block was definitely the most vicious thing they've done in the show so far.

But god. The ninjas. The ninjas are so lame, and the mystery around them and "The Hand" completely uninteresting and dull. I guess the stakes are supposed to be higher than last season but I can't be bothered to care. Maybe the world is ending but these faceless ninjas and their weird mythology, it just doesn't contrast well with the Punisher stuff. Ah well, I'll see how it wraps up but I'm not holding out hope.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Gyges posted:

I'm just charitably assuming people moving around without heartbeats is confusing Matt. I mean, Stick had to tell him to listen to their breathing which there's no way he couldn't already hear. So I guess Matt is a loving idiot who couldn't get past humunculi moving around without heartbeats until Stick gave him another method to see them as human?

I think it's because hearing them breathe, which, as you say, he probably already could do, is entirely different than tracking individuals via the extremely subtle differences in their breathing.

This is why fighting Nobu wasn't a problem despite Nobu also being dead: it was just Nobu.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I like the idea of Matt getting hit on all sides, with The Punisher and Elektra and The Hand all crashing into him at once.

But there's very little acknowledgement by Matt that he's involved in both stories simultaneously. It instead feels like two shows guest starring Murdock.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlG3oLyVcAc

Someone put the Kingpin/Murdock scene up on youtube so I watched it again. It's so dense with thematic and character info but at the same time reinforces the tension between the two. Just an amazing scene, one of the best from the whole season/series.

One thing I noticed was that Matt tells Fisk that he'll never be able to be with an exiled Vanessa, because he could never live away from NYC. At the end of the series, Matt told Elektra that he wanted to run away with her. So that makes me wonder if he was lying, knowing that he has to live in Hell's Kitchen, lying to himself, or if the writers just forgot.

Also, next season I can totally see them doing the Kingpin-ruins-Matt's-life-from-the-shadows plot from the beginning of Born Again. It's such a good arc in the comics that is full of weighty emotion and drama, and Fisk's speech to Matt in prison sets it up so perfectly. The only problematic thing is that part of the tension in the comics is that Matt doesn't know why this is all happening to him, I think MCU Matt would be pretty fuckin clear about what's going on. Either way I'd expect D'Onfrio to feature majorly in next season, and it's going to be awesome.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

zoux posted:

One thing I noticed was that Matt tells Fisk that he'll never be able to be with an exiled Vanessa, because he could never live away from NYC. At the end of the series, Matt told Elektra that he wanted to run away with her. So that makes me wonder if he was lying, knowing that he has to live in Hell's Kitchen, lying to himself, or if the writers just forgot.

Matt says Fisk could never live away from NYC, not him.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

Matt says Fisk could never live away from NYC, not him.

Nah, he says "You're like me, etc." Not to mention the thematic similarities between Fisk and Matt, how they're different sides of the same coin and so on.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Matt was saying that stuff to Elektra because they both thought they were certainly going to die. People lie to themselves all the time on their deathbeds.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

notthegoatseguy posted:

Matt was saying that stuff to Elektra because they both thought they were certainly going to die. People lie to themselves all the time on their deathbeds.

And Matt's theme this season is definitely lying to everyone he loves for his own self-satisfaction :v:

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
I love when Matt slaps the table. It (almost) covers up him calling out Fisk on his bullshit about the city being "out of his hands" for the time being, and it gives Matt a clearer view of the room and his surroundings before he brings up Vanessa. Everything about it screams Daredevil.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

zoux posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlG3oLyVcAc

Someone put the Kingpin/Murdock scene up on youtube so I watched it again. It's so dense with thematic and character info but at the same time reinforces the tension between the two. Just an amazing scene, one of the best from the whole season/series.

Agreed. That was a fantastic scene. Everything with D'Onofrio has kicked rear end in both seasons.

I particularly enjoyed how Matt didn't fight back, acted scared and the subtle way they played it. At first, I was like "why doesn't Matt kick his rear end?" and then seconds later realized it was to protect his identity, but it wasn't overstated. Same way they played Frank sort of kind of recognizing Matt's voice and knowing who he was but not hitting you over the head with it. It's great writing and very well acted.

I also like the way that Wilson goes from insecure man baby, to puppet master who's in control at all times, to sophisticated gentleman eating his prime rib with plastic utensils and drinking his vintage wine in a plastic cup to angry hulking lunatic all in the blink of an eye. The writing and the acting for Kingpin is probably the best part of the show for me. He's scared but he's not and the show does a great job illustrating his inner conflict, his insecurities and the lengths he goes to mask them by projecting strength.

I even noticed that occasionally they frame shots and use perspective tricks to portray Fisk as small and weak and then big and strong all in the same scene, depending on what they're trying to convey and the dynamics of the scene. They do this when Fisk meets the Punisher and, to a lesser extent, when he meets Matt. At times, he looks really small and un-intimidating but often, in the same scene, the way they frame the shot makes him look bigger, stronger and scarier.

Like, if you watch that scene again, it starts out with Matt and Wilson exactly the same size, facing each other at opposite sides of the table - totally equal except for the guy hanging out behind Matt's back - but every time the tables turn, one figure is larger or more tightly framed depending on who has the upper hand in the discussion. Even when Matt is being choked, his strength comes out because he's framed so tightly and appears larger.

It's really good film making; from acting, to the writing and the directing.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 1, 2016

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
April 1st is my least favorite day of the year but this looks legit: Jessica Henwick cast as Colleen Wing for IF.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

April 1st is my least favorite day of the year but this looks legit: Jessica Henwick cast as Colleen Wing for IF.

It'd be hilarious if everyone they cast was from GoT.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Other than Kingpin and Bullseye I don't really know any of Daredevils villains. What others are there?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i bet theres some bad guy with an angel theme, so the good devil can fight the bad angel? idk

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zzulu posted:

Other than Kingpin and Bullseye I don't really know any of Daredevils villains. What others are there?

The biggest in terms of "they'll probably show up in Season 3" is like Typhoid Mary or something. Elektra, The Hand, Bullseye, Kingpin and Punisher are the cream of the crop in that regards.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

BiggerBoat posted:

Agreed. That was a fantastic scene. Everything with D'Onofrio has kicked rear end in both seasons.

I particularly enjoyed how Matt didn't fight back, acted scared and the subtle way they played it. At first, I was like "why doesn't Matt kick his rear end?" and then seconds later realized it was to protect his identity, but it wasn't overstated. Same way they played Frank sort of kind of recognizing Matt's voice and knowing who he was but not hitting you over the head with it. It's great writing and very well acted.

I like that they actually had Matt throw one punch. If I remember right, he throws his arms up to break Fisk's hold and tags him in the mouth. Fisk slams him back down and says something like "Ah, that's right, son of a boxer!"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

10 Beers posted:

I like that they actually had Matt throw one punch. If I remember right, he throws his arms up to break Fisk's hold and tags him in the mouth. Fisk slams him back down and says something like "Ah, that's right, son of a boxer!"

The delivery of that line was so good.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Zzulu posted:

Stilt Man! The Toad!

Yeah, DD has a pretty lame rogues gallery for sure. Punisher and Electra count. Typhoid Mary, The Owl, Purple Man, The Jester, Gladiator...The Hand, Mr. Fear. Turk.

DD is at his best when he's just busting up regular mooks.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
There was a pretty obvious partial pair of stilt-pants sitting there when he's talking to the costume guy too. Probably just a joke though.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

BiggerBoat posted:

Stilt Man! The Toad!

Yeah, DD has a pretty lame rogues gallery for sure. Punisher and Electra count. Typhoid Mary, The Owl, Purple Man, The Jester, Gladiator...The Hand, Mr. Fear. Turk.

And just for reference, Owl, Gladiator, and Turk have all appeared already. Owl was the finance guy in S1, Turk is the recurring arms dealer/informant who had the ankle monitor in S2, and Gladiator is Melvin the guy who builds Daredevil's armor and weapons.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
There's Mr. Slaughter the weapons dealer, the least subtle name in all of fiction. Way to go Frank Miller.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Inkspot posted:

I love when Matt slaps the table. It (almost) covers up him calling out Fisk on his bullshit about the city being "out of his hands" for the time being, and it gives Matt a clearer view of the room and his surroundings before he brings up Vanessa. Everything about it screams Daredevil.

AW poo poo, I didn't catch that at all, that's loving radical!

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Best thing about the season?

At no point does anyone demand to be put in Supermax. That loving episode...if it wasn't for the amazing Kilgrave scene in the police station, that ep would be completely unwatchable.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

ImpAtom posted:

The biggest in terms of "they'll probably show up in Season 3" is like Typhoid Mary or something. Elektra, The Hand, Bullseye, Kingpin and Punisher are the cream of the crop in that regards.

I bet that season three of Daredevil will make do with just Fisk and Bullseye. A villain like Typhoid Mary is more likely to be seen on a season two of Jessica Jone because she doesn't seem to have a rogues gallery and it makes sense to put a superpowered villain against a superpowered hero rather than the more 'grounded' Daredevil.

SnipeShow
Nov 7, 2009

That dance wasn't as safe as they said it was.

10 Beers posted:

That one punch will come back to haunt Matt in season 3. Fisk connected the dots and wanted more information on Matt.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I just realized that Daredevil is the ONLY character in the MCU with the anti-killing obsession where as non-cinematic DC won't shut up about it.

For gently caress's sake, even Captain America has flat out wasted people when it's called for.

ED: The fact they don't cram it down everyone's throats (outside of just Daredevil) makes it feel way more reasonable though. Outside of kill-crazy types like the Punisher they usually avoid it if they can, but like I mentioned.. some dude whips out a minigun on a city street, Cap is putting him down for good; yet he'd still try to avoid killing the same person if possible.

These hyper "NO KILL NO MATTER WHAT EVER" characters end up going off the deep end in the other extreme and even MORE people die because of it, though interestingly on the show itself, it seems to be aware it's not a perfect philosophy and doesn't try to parrot JUST Matt's POV.

Hell the only reason Jessica Jones didn't just murder the gently caress out of Kilgrave immediately was trying to help other people, not out of some "I cannot harm a life," bullshit.

I mean I'm not saying "Oh man everyone should be like the Punisher!" just that nobody's going to blame someone for killing a kill crazed murder ninja zombie.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Apr 2, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blazing Ownager posted:

I just realized that Daredevil is the ONLY character in the MCU with the anti-killing obsession where as non-cinematic DC won't shut up about it.

... Spider-Man?

Also DC has a lot of characters that kill. Like Jason Todd, the Red Hood, is an ongoing character with his own book where he kills people. The Green Lanterns kill on a regular basis. Most non-Batman/Superman heroes are okay with killing and just prefer not to do it as opposed to Never Kill Ever.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Apr 2, 2016

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Blazing Ownager posted:

For gently caress's sake, even Captain America has flat out wasted people when it's called for.

ED: The fact they don't cram it down everyone's throats (outside of just Daredevil) makes it feel way more reasonable though. Outside of kill-crazy types like the Punisher they usually avoid it if they can, but like I mentioned.. some dude whips out a minigun on a city street, Cap is putting him down for good; yet he'd still try to avoid killing the same person if possible.

These hyper "NO KILL NO MATTER WHAT EVER" characters end up going off the deep end in the other extreme and even MORE people die because of it, though interestingly on the show itself, it seems to be aware it's not a perfect philosophy and doesn't try to parrot JUST Matt's POV.

Hell the only reason Jessica Jones didn't just murder the gently caress out of Kilgrave immediately was trying to help other people, not out of some "I cannot harm a life," bullshit.

I mean I'm not saying "Oh man everyone should be like the Punisher!" just that nobody's going to blame someone for killing a kill crazed murder ninja zombie.

Pretty sure the Daredevil fixation on not killing pretty much comes down to him realizing that he enjoys beating the living poo poo out of people on a regular basis and moving into killing them will pretty quickly undo any and all good will he's developed. That and massive, massive amounts of catholic guilt and anxiety regarding sin. Because beating someone into a coma and breaking half the bones in their body, leaving them unable to support their family and causing a miserable life of homelessness and further crime is A-OK, just don't kill 'em. The catholicism is a huge part of his character, after all.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
nvm

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Finished up last night. What an amazing show, and an amazing season.

I almost squealed when Melvin gave Matt that "gift" though, I was waiting 12 episodes for it!

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

Blazing Ownager posted:

To be fair, Cap's a soldier that fought in World War II. It'd be weirder if he DIDN'T have some kills in his history.

ImpAtom posted:

... Spider-Man?

Also DC has a lot of characters that kill. Like Jason Todd, the Red Hood, is an ongoing character with his own book where he kills people. The Green Lanterns kill on a regular basis. Most non-Batman/Superman heroes are okay with killing and just prefer not to do it as opposed to Never Kill Ever.

I don't read a whole lot of DC and never really have, but I'm pretty sure Wonder Woman, at least the modern version, kills the gently caress outta people swinging around that sword and shield nowadays

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

ImpAtom posted:

The Green Lanterns kill on a regular basis.
Unless the Nu52 changed more than I thought, this is misleading. Members of the GLC being allowed to kill is a very big deal and almost always depicted as a bad thing. Guy Gardner is the only main GL who would willingly kill, and even then he's mostly talk.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Well that sucked compared to season 1. Having two completely unrelated, season long plotlines is fine as long as at least one of them actually goes somewhere.

The Hand were fine in season 1 as a minor, mysterious background element, but so much time is wasted on them this season and we learn nothing substantial about them whatsoever, except that they have even more mysterious plots than before. :ohdear:

The Punisher story had a lot of potential but after the halfway point the focus had well and truly shifted and he basically didn't need to exist any more. Either they started writing a season for The Punisher but realised they didn't have enough of an antagonist to make it interesting so shoved The Hand in, or they started writing it for The Hand but realised that it wouldn't have any recognisable characters (other than Electra) to market so they shoved The Punisher in.

stev fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 2, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Steve2911 posted:

Well that sucked compared to season 1. Having two completely unrelated, season long plotlines is fine as long as at least one of them actually goes somewhere.

The Hand were fine in season 1 as a minor, mysterious background element, but so much time is wasted on them this season and we learn nothing substantial about them whatsoever, except that they have even more mysterious plots than before. :ohdear:

The Punisher story had a lot of potential but after the halfway point the focus had well and truly shifted and he basically didn't need to exist any more. Either they started writing a season for The Punisher but realised they didn't have enough of an antagonist to make it interesting so shoved The Hand in, or they started writing it for The Hand but realised that it wouldn't have any recognisable characters (other than Electra) to market so they shoved The Punisher in.

A mess of a narrative with a lot of cool scenes is how season 2 ended up.

It really is the worst part of the season. Season 1 was so tight and was non-stop "Move, counter-move. Move, counter-move," and we spent almost as much time with the villains as the heroes. It made for some compelling stuff. One of the most mixed seasons of TV ever for me with super high highs and no real super lows, but an overall disjointedness.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Also I love that Karen spent months being slowly trained to be an investigative journalist because she has good instincts etc, and at the end it turns out she can't write for poo poo. I can just imagine Ellison's face after reading that fanfic quality draft.

zoux posted:

Also, next season I can totally see them doing the Kingpin-ruins-Matt's-life-from-the-shadows plot from the beginning of Born Again.

I just checked the plot summary of this on Wikipedia. Holy poo poo I hope they end up taking Karen's character in that hosed up direction.

stev fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 2, 2016

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
I think the second season suffers from being largely set-up for future storylines. It's simultaneously a Punisher origin story, establishing some kind of law firm story for Foggy/Hogarth possibly related to Iron Fist or the Defenders, an Elektra origin story, spending two episodes establishing Fisk's new criminal kingpin existence in prison, and establishing Karen Page's journalism career/mysterious past. They cover a lot of ground without actually finishing much.

It's kind of weird to realize that the two big villains that are defeated are Nobu and The Blacksmith, both really thin characters with no backstory or well-established motives. Even minor villains like Wesley or Madame Gao were far more intriguing. Nobu was basically a fighting-mook with cool scars, and The Blacksmith was barely even a character. What was up with that?

The last episode feels like they suddenly realized "oh poo poo, we're at episode 13, uh... okay everybody gets kidnapped offscreen, lets wrap this poo poo up!" I thought it was really great up until the last episode.

Periodiko fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 2, 2016

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

BiggerBoat posted:

Stilt Man! The Toad!

Deathstalker would be cool, also Mr. Hyde but they used him on AoS, Tarantula, Anger (also AoS), the Enforcers (Montana, Ox, and Fancy Dan), Bushwacker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
The recent media manipulating Jester would go well with Kingpin and Bullseye and secret identity drama.