Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

PerrineClostermann posted:

I have never heard of Coil Whine until I came into this thread. Is it really that big an issue?

If you have it, you will never ask this question again.

I've heard a card that had such comical whine that you wouldn't even be able to enter the room without wondering what the hell was going on.

Edit: (for reference, it was a Sapphire 7850, even after an RMA it was the exact same card, and yes, it was audible across the room).

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

I have never heard of Coil Whine until I came into this thread. Is it really that big an issue?

Its pretty obnoxious. Computers are getting quieter and quieter, some are moving to people's desks instead of the floor, and more people are being bugged by it than ever before if I had to guess about its surge in popularity. I've personally seen the same exact brand and model of card be very different in coil whine, there is no great way to avoid it on purpose. Certainly some models are more susceptible than others but finding that information is nearly impossible since almost nobody will have the sample size required to be accurate all in one place. There are some standout examples but for the most part you're rolling the dice. Framerate limiting (which I always encourage regardless) and OC'ing (and underclocking) are the only two things I've seen consistently change how coil whine behaves but they are hardly solutions.

Now that I've moved to a fanless mitx case I am far more sensitive to coil whine than I ever was with a standard mid tower.

I wish they'd just glue the stupid things at the factory or whatever needs to be done.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Yes, but the problem is caused by resonance so you do have to be unlucky in just the right ways to get it. I'm lucky that I've never had any noticeable coil whine except when running 3000fps menus.

It's mostly caused by small variances in manufacturing. It doesn't just affect GPUs though, for instance some 144hz monitors are known for having significant coil whine.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I want to believe

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Machinist here. Either fakes or first articles, intended for demo units, looking nice up on stage, looking nice under glass, or press units. Because from a production standpoint, your mass-produced versions will come out of the moulds with the lettering stamped and ready to go. It's cheaper that way.

I would note that these shroud bits appear to be metal, though, as opposed to previous ones made of plastic.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Machinist here. Either fakes or first articles, intended for demo units, looking nice up on stage, looking nice under glass, or press units. Because from a production standpoint, your mass-produced versions will come out of the moulds with the lettering stamped and ready to go. It's cheaper that way.

I would note that these shroud bits appear to be metal, though, as opposed to previous ones made of plastic.

The nvidia reference shrouds are aluminum not plastic.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

We've been waiting for the new NVIDIA cards for too long, so instead, we should clearly celebrate the release of 1080° Snowboarding

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 31, 2016

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Captain Hair posted:

Or get a small ups, they are pretty cool and super handy to have.

Yeah, everyone should have a UPS. The one thing to note is that not all UPSs support PSUs with Active Power Factor correction (which is basically anything recent). They will probably work most of the time but may drop your PC if they switch while under a load with a low power factor.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Buy a cyberpower signwave.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Don Lapre posted:

Buy a cyberpower sinewave.

That's what I use for my PC. It is a good UPS.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Same. Batteries aren't that expensive to replace when they eventually wear out, either.

dbcooper
Mar 21, 2008
Yams Fan

Don Lapre posted:

Buy a cyberpower signwave.

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

DrDork posted:

Same. Batteries aren't that expensive to replace when they eventually wear out, either.

How is the model's integration with Windows 7, Server 2012 and higher for automatic shutdown? Need to buy some UPSes for high-end workstations soon that will be running long data analysis jobs

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yeah, everyone should have a UPS. The one thing to note is that not all UPSs support PSUs with Active Power Factor correction (which is basically anything recent). They will probably work most of the time but may drop your PC if they switch while under a load with a low power factor.

Maybe if you live in a third world country, I can't remember the last time I had a power outage.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I live in a third world enough country to get a power outage every couple of months or so but I wouldn't spend money on a UPS for it. Someone made a good argument, I'm not sure in which thread, for how much you should spend on a UPS, which is figure out how much money you would lose from a random power failure and then put that much into a UPS. For most people, myself included, that's $0.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Unless you have hosed up wiring, which one time out of four will brick most components in your PC :downsgun:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I'm trying to convince a friend of mine to buy a UPS. The voltage monitor in her Alienware is claiming a 3.6v signal on +5V, and her +12V has been as high as a little over 16v. I convinced her to replace her 3+ year old Dell POS OEM PSU with an eVGA 750W Bronze that was on sale for a reasonable price, and the voltages haven't changed appreciably. At this point it's her wiring or the chip's reading the signal incorrectly. But, she chose to upgrade her graphics card first - the PSU was a hard sell.

I mean, when someone tells you - it doesn't matter what you do to your computer if the power that's used to run it is 'poisoning' it. And I get back "well, I've got a really good surge protector." :v:

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
There's definitely something messed up with that voltage monitor, the ATX spec tolerances are 5% and 10%. I'd have to imagine being several volts off is definitely in the "let the smoke out" territory.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

dbcooper posted:

How is the model's integration with Windows 7, Server 2012 and higher for automatic shutdown? Need to buy some UPSes for high-end workstations soon that will be running long data analysis jobs

Itll work fine, either install the ups software or use the built in windows poo poo.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Unless you have hosed up wiring, which one time out of four will brick most components in your PC :downsgun:

A consumer UPS wont do anything for hosed up wiring. You arn't running on battery unless power is cut. If you have hosed up wiring dont plug expensive poo poo into it till its fixed. Wiring is not that complicated.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, that's just the monitor being bad. It's a strangely common thing to the point where you wonder why they bother to even include it if they're cost cutting when it's so well known that poor monitor implementations read out meaningless values.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

craig588 posted:

Yeah, that's just the monitor being bad. It's a strangely common thing to the point where you wonder why they bother to even include it if they're cost cutting when it's so well known that poor monitor implementations read out meaningless values.

Yea, dell psus arn't even that bad. They are mostly delta units.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

MaxxBot posted:

There's definitely something messed up with that voltage monitor, the ATX spec tolerances are 5% and 10%. I'd have to imagine being several volts off is definitely in the "let the smoke out" territory.

Well, regardless, she was going from SLIed OEM GTX 555s (only OEM cards) to a 970. 750W is overkill for that, I know, but it was well-priced and well-reviewed as well as being semi-modular.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

Gwaihir posted:

That's not true at all- In 2010 the GTX 470 launched at 350$, 20$ more than the 330$ GTX 970. The main difference is back then the halo performance cards were the lovely dual chip SLI in a single slot versions like the 4870x2, GTX 295, or GTX590 vs the better single chip huge die monsters we have at present.

Sure, but those weren't rebrands like in AMD's case. Also that's US prices, as internationally the prices of GPUs has been going up and up (partly due to the exchange, partly because they know they can get away with it).

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Pretty sure the criticism is that now the 970 is the crop of the second to top chip, not the crop of the biggest chip like the 470 was, rather than the pricing of the same number within a generation has gone up.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Well, regardless, she was going from SLIed OEM GTX 555s (only OEM cards) to a 970. 750W is overkill for that, I know, but it was well-priced and well-reviewed as well as being semi-modular.

Yeah a good quality PSU is always a good investment since you can carry it over to a new system.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

HalloKitty posted:

We've been waiting for the new NVIDIA cards for too long, so instead, we should clearly celebrate the release of 1080° Snowboarding

I thought I was in the iOS games thread for a minute and was super pumped that game was being released again :(

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

HalloKitty posted:

This brings back memories of my 11-year old self thinking really long and hard about how many rotations 1080 degrees is.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'm trying to convince a friend of mine to buy a UPS.....I mean, when someone tells you - it doesn't matter what you do to your computer if the power that's used to run it is 'poisoning' it. And I get back "well, I've got a really good surge protector." :v:
A UPS is best but if they don't want to spend the money for one of those or worry about replacing the batteries every so many years how about just a standalone automatic voltage regulator? They're lots cheaper than a good UPS, do power surge protection too, usually last a hell of a lot longer than your common cheapo MOV based surge protector that most have, and usually do a good enough job of keeping voltages stable if you've got a lovely power company.

They'll just need a power strip to plug into one if they want more sockets.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

A UPS is best but if they don't want to spend the money for one of those or worry about replacing the batteries every so many years how about just a standalone automatic voltage regulator? They're lots cheaper than a good UPS, do power surge protection too, usually last a hell of a lot longer than your common cheapo MOV based surge protector that most have, and usually do a good enough job of keeping voltages stable if you've got a lovely power company.

They'll just need a power strip to plug into one if they want more sockets.

It's definitely another option, but the 1000VA Cyberpower occasionally kisses the $100 mark. She doesn't need something that'll give her uptime, but she says she wants to move to an SSD, and I can't in good conscience allow her to do that without a UPS, since consumer SSDs with built-in battery backup are rare, or in the case of the Intel 730s, becoming antiquated.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
The one I linked is 1200VA rated and goes for $50 new though.

If they don't mind ebay or pawn shopping you'll find them used for $20-ish easily. They last a hell of a long time too so even one that was 5yr old will be fine.

edit: duuurrr somehow misread your comment about SSD reliability, yea if you can't get one with a BBU built in then UPS it is in which $100 isn't bad for a good one.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Apr 1, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Yeah, this is what her voltage IC is showing:

+3.3V 3.312 V
CPU CORE 1.376 V
VIN2 2.320 V
VIN3 1.305 V
+5V 3.826 V
+12V 16.192 V
VIN6 3.344 V
VSB3V 3.312 V
CMOS BATTERY 3.264 V

Pretty sure if her +12V was putting out 16.192V her system would be dead, and that's around the same figure she was getting with the original PSU. The undervoltage on the +5V line would be trivial in comparison. Considering she's running a 3820 non-K (so no overclock), 1.376V VCore is concerning as well, seeing as my 2500K does 4.4Ghz at ~1.05V, typically.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Apr 1, 2016

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'm trying to convince a friend of mine to buy a UPS. The voltage monitor in her Alienware is claiming a 3.6v signal on +5V, and her +12V has been as high as a little over 16v. I convinced her to replace her 3+ year old Dell POS OEM PSU with an eVGA 750W Bronze that was on sale for a reasonable price, and the voltages haven't changed appreciably. At this point it's her wiring or the chip's reading the signal incorrectly. But, she chose to upgrade her graphics card first - the PSU was a hard sell.

I mean, when someone tells you - it doesn't matter what you do to your computer if the power that's used to run it is 'poisoning' it. And I get back "well, I've got a really good surge protector." :v:

Mobo voltage monitoring taps are notoriously bad, if there's no other symptoms and you have a relatively new+reputable power supply then pay no attention to it.

If you really seriously want to do this, then wire the PS_ON pin to GND, and measure between ground and any given voltage on the PSU's output pins.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Apr 1, 2016

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Schiavona posted:

I thought I was in the iOS games thread for a minute and was super pumped that game was being released again :(

Well now I feel bad :(

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-HVAzkk1hc

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 1, 2016

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!
I would seriously buy that. I'd much rather put $ towards slowly upgrading to a 980Ti than plunking down the full price all at once.

Like if I could pay $300 for 970ish performance and then $350 or whatever 6 months from now, that would be awesome.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
pesky details

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

pesky details

K well, not at that price point but the idea still stands. I would really be interested to know how something like this would actually sell. How many people upgrade from a 970 to a 980Ti? Or even better question, how many people that upgrade stay with the same vendor?

I guess this is kinda like the evga step up program without the inconvenience of actually shipping hardware. It seems like the real risk would be to the manufacturer if somebody figured out how to unlock the card without paying for it.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

It's an April Fools joke though, right?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Dave Angel posted:

It's an April Fools joke though, right?

Nah, read more and pre-order on their site

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
That's actually A Good Joke because it's a meta commentary on how NVidia artificially cripples the 980ti itself for purposes of market segmentation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Fatal posted:

K well, not at that price point but the idea still stands. I would really be interested to know how something like this would actually sell. How many people upgrade from a 970 to a 980Ti? Or even better question, how many people that upgrade stay with the same vendor?

I guess this is kinda like the evga step up program without the inconvenience of actually shipping hardware. It seems like the real risk would be to the manufacturer if somebody figured out how to unlock the card without paying for it.

It's a solid idea seen all over the, well "computer industry" in terms of software and hardware too with CPU's and so on. However the cost difference between wafers that a 980ti forms out of and a 970 is pretty significant from what I understand. I'm not sure they could even produce that many (in this hypothetical if they made every "970" really a 980ti) since in general they grow these things and separate them later based on capability. It would mean they would have to simply throw away a lot of GPU's.

It's a funny vid poking fun but you're right its not even a bad idea. But I don't think its doable unfortunately

Zero VGS posted:

That's actually A Good Joke because it's a meta commentary on how NVidia artificially cripples the 980ti itself for purposes of market segmentation.

There's another GPU company that does the same thing lol