Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
So how do women that need a half hour to get ready and have a bathroom full of toiletries live in Japan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

In normal residences, the toilet is in a separate room from the bath and sink. The family shares one bath.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
I honeymooned in glorious Nippon and the sink on top of the toilet thing is totally fine for washing your hands unless you are so fat / gangly / retarded that you couldn't straddle a toilet bowl with your feet slightly more than shoulder width apart. You could even AC Slater the loving thing if you were really lazy.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe
Random guy on Imgur standing in a dirt hole... you know this isn't going to end well

It turned out super cute and all, but drainage? Waterproofing? What the hell is that?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

It turned out super cute and all, but drainage? Waterproofing? What the hell is that?

Dunno about drainage, but he definitely thought about waterproofing.

quote:

Closing and sealing the structure was a great step forward - the previous work had taken a very long time to complete so to get a nice watertight hole was a great relief, especially as there had been a few water related problems early on.

The roof was again over engineered to keep moisture out and includes a variety of layered barriers which tuck right around the internal watertight pod created for the interior.

quote:

The corrugated iron was used to seal everything in and the panels were all seam welded from top to bottom once in position and then finished with plenty of waterproof barriers. The base concreted with waterproofer and finished with further waterproofing and finally a levelling compound so there was a lovely clean finish inside.

Taken from the companion tumblr - http://ukhobbithole.tumblr.com/

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

ulmont posted:

Dunno about drainage, but he definitely thought about waterproofing.

Uhh, that's wood directly on the dirt, before he applied any waterproofing. That thing is going to wick up any moisture and become a moldy mess.

It's a good thing the UK doesn't have termites...

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Dillbag posted:

I honeymooned in glorious Nippon and the sink on top of the toilet thing is totally fine for washing your hands unless you are so fat / gangly / retarded that you couldn't straddle a toilet bowl with your feet slightly more than shoulder width apart. You could even AC Slater the loving thing if you were really lazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6HMi3jHaCI

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Boogeyman posted:

What surprised me is the fact that the garden hose itself was fine, I would figure that if the ice could expand enough to blow out a section of copper, it should have busted the hose as well. She has learned her lesson, she'll be draining the hose and disconnecting it after each use from now on.

Repair the pipe with hose.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

kid sinister posted:

Uhh, that's wood directly on the dirt, before he applied any waterproofing. That thing is going to wick up any moisture and become a moldy mess.

I think that may be scaffolding. Look at the rest of the pictures.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

peanut posted:

This is the toilet room (2.5x5 feet) where we're staying now.

Why is there both a toilet and a urinal?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The 70s were crazy times

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

SynthOrange posted:

I had something similar in my basement when I moved in... except they took the time to solder on two hose faucets and use a garden hose between them. It was the oddest thing I've ever seen done.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

SynthOrange posted:

You're saying hose, but all I see is condom.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
From the China thread...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeLyr5hh9Uc

Even I can make better concrete than that.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

:stare: So uh... there's steel holding the building up, right?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I remember there was a medium earthquake in china few years ago and the death toll was pretty shocking for the magnitude of the quake (the same quake in japan would have 0 deaths generally). A big problem was nearly every school in the area turned to a pile of sand. The problem was of course so many of the buildings, specially anything built by the local government, was built out of barely or totally not reinforced "concrete" that was mostly sand. Kids were tunneling through walls of their school with pencils.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

`Nemesis posted:

From the China thread...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeLyr5hh9Uc

That's not concrete, that's loving sand

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

Ignimbrite posted:

That's not concrete, that's loving sand

Well... concrete with no water, which is a good portion of sand.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

`Nemesis posted:

Without trying, right?

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

Enourmo posted:

:stare: So uh... there's steel holding the building up, right?
It's probably that special steel alloy known as chinesium.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

xwing posted:

Well... concrete with no water, which is a good portion of sand.

How do you forget to add water?

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

spog posted:

They forgot that slide when they gave the migrant workers their printed instructions on how to make concrete

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

spog posted:

Pumping water up a tower to pour is expensive? No oversight? Don't give a crap? Lawsuits not an issue?

I doubt they forgot, probably negligence. There's no one there to perform a slump test that cares.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
We just moved into a rental sight-unseen and it is an unholy mismash of solid and spectacularly crappy construction. There's the usual suspects: uninsulated addition, original 40s wiring (no new-fangled overhead lighting for us!), etc. Then there's the extra-special touches: painted cardboard covering the old air-return in the hallway instead of drywall, the overlapping outlet covers in the addition because two outlets were placed too close together, the sink that is not flush with the wall behind it which is also partially undrywalled and has plumbing running on an uninsulated exterior wall in a place where temperatures are still not above freezing.

But the piece de resistance is the front door. At some point, someone decided they wanted to have glass panels in their front door. Rather than get a new door, they cut out two sections of the original wood door and put in two glass panels, held in place by molding. However, the molding was way too short to fit. So they filled in the quarter-to-a-full-inch gaps at the corners with caulking, then covered the whole thing in joint compound and tried to paint it.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Brennanite posted:

moved into a rental sight-unseen

Were you desperate?

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

NancyPants posted:

Were you desperate?

My brother (who tells people "you can take that wall down, but it's going to cost you $X to reroute all the plumbing" for a living) checked it out and said it was fine.

My brother is no longer allowed to talk to me.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Brennanite posted:

My brother (who tells people "you can take that wall down, but it's going to cost you $X to reroute all the plumbing" for a living) checked it out and said it was fine.

My brother is no longer allowed to talk to me.

Sounds like he should no longer be allowed to talk to his clients

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Brennanite posted:

original 40s wiring (no new-fangled overhead lighting for us!)

I've seen my fair share of knob and tube overhead fixtures. So it was a thing, just maybe not in your house/area.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

spog posted:

The thing with dry concrete is that it has a shelf life. Given enough time, it will wick enough moisture out of the ground or humidity out of the atmosphere and set. I've heard of people relying on that for fence posts. Dig a hole, put in the post, pour in the dry concrete, wait.

Setting time estimates may vary for multistory Chinese shanties though.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

kid sinister posted:

The thing with dry concrete is that it has a shelf life. Given enough time, it will wick enough moisture out of the ground or humidity out of the atmosphere and set. I've heard of people relying on that for fence posts. Dig a hole, put in the post, pour in the dry concrete, wait.

Setting time estimates may vary for multistory Chinese shanties though.

Yeah, I've done that myself.

But building a sandcastle skyscraper and hoping for high humidity is a slightly different league

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

I remember there was a medium earthquake in china few years ago and the death toll was pretty shocking for the magnitude of the quake (the same quake in japan would have 0 deaths generally). A big problem was nearly every school in the area turned to a pile of sand. The problem was of course so many of the buildings, specially anything built by the local government, was built out of barely or totally not reinforced "concrete" that was mostly sand. Kids were tunneling through walls of their school with pencils.

You're thinking of the 2008 Sichuan earthquake which was an 8.0. Chinese people referred to those collapsed schools (among other casualties) as "tofu dregs buildings" because of the shoddy quality of the construction and materials used.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
Maybe they thought if the buildings were so weak and lovely, less people would get hurt as they fell apart!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

They tried.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

They tried.

I'm going to assume those are just foot-flush urinals? The only failure I see is that only one has a paddle instead of the usual handle, but even then, that seems like a pretty cool setup.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Boat posted:

I'm going to assume those are just foot-flush urinals? The only failure I see is that only one has a paddle instead of the usual handle, but even then, that seems like a pretty cool setup.

Yeah, that was the main problem I saw with it.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

They're blatantly assuming that all men are right-foot dominant, which is discriminatory, and I'm triggered.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Your right-footedness privilege is showing, by assuming that the flusher under the urinal corresponds to that urinal, rather than that the flusher to the left a urinal controls it. Now I am also triggered.

Vulcan
Mar 24, 2005
Motobike
Last time I was in a restroom like this some dude flushed me midstream by hitting the wrong pedal, the pedals were kind of in the center between urinals- must have been one of those liberal lefties like you.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Vulcan posted:

Last time I was in a restroom like this some dude flushed me midstream by hitting the wrong pedal, the pedals were kind of in the center between urinals- must have been one of those liberal lefties like you.

What a sinister act.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Well yeah, the water can splash down your back when you're trying to take a dump