Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I'm the Google employee who was hired to work on April Fools' pranks for months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
You could just send a follow email explaining that google did something stupid as a april fools prank? As someone who's unemployed and struggling to find a job, I really want to sympathize. But it seems like it would be really easy undo the damage here.:shrug:

Raygereio has a new favorite as of 19:01 on Apr 1, 2016

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Wanamingo posted:

More specifically, they had replaced the send and archive button with it.

It's been known to bug out and attach the gif to the regular Send function. Specifically, if you press the gimmick button on a blank template, them back out, type an email, and attempt to send it the normal way.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Raygereio posted:

You could just send a follow email explaining that google did something stupid as a april fools prank? As someone who's unemployed and struggling to find a job, I really want to sympathize. But it seems like it would really easy undo the damage here. :shrug:

Yeah, but then you can't play the victim for internet attention points

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Raygereio posted:

You could just send a follow email explaining that google did something stupid as a april fools prank? As someone who's unemployed and struggling to find a job, I really want to sympathize. But it seems like it would really easy undo the damage here. :shrug:

It blocks any response emails, so how will you ever know?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Measly Twerp posted:

According to that twitter, blocks with no way to unblock, at the moment anyway.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Measly Twerp posted:

Ok, but the guy obviously knows because he's posting about it. He can still send a follow-up email to the person with a link to one of the MANY articles about it and apologize.

The bigger problem is that the job-seeker doesn't get any replies, so he'd have to have the hiring director send from a different email, or just create a new gmail account and have it sent there.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Measly Twerp posted:

It doesn't block them, it automatically archives them. You still get the followup emails but they don't appear in your normal inbox, which isn't a huge deal so long as you know to check.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Sounds like a lot of rationalizing for an idiotic implementation

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Someone who spams 50 friends and family members with a prayer request deserves whatever she gets.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
The worst (and most schadenfreude) was the one shown in the article of a funeral director sending the mic drop to a client.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Roro posted:

The worst (and most schadenfreude) was the one shown in the article of a funeral director sending the mic drop to a client.

You mean the funniest.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Snapchat A Titty posted:

You mean the fakest.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Simply Simon posted:

Balthasar, du Heide!

Wikipedia posted:

Ab dem 12. Jahrhundert wurde in der künstlerischen Darstellung einer der drei Könige zum Mohren mit dunkler Hautfarbe. Dabei wird meistens der jüngste König Caspar als Mohr dargestellt. Doch finden sich bereits in anderen frühen Quellen Melchior und mitunter auch Balthasar als die Vertreter Afrikas.
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heilige_Drei_Könige :colbert:

Possible Schadenfreude, or just :stare:
Otto Skorzeny, famous SS member and darling of Hitler, later became a hitman for the Mossad

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
An elephant decides It's Time To Put My Butt On Stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLwS5xq3r68

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.
Any man or woman who will type out they are "actually shaking" for anything short of their life being in danger is too much of a pansy to be in the workforce anyhow so eh, I think it worked out for the best.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
What about Michael J Fox?

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Trigger warning: cat cruelty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6LFPzymG_w

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

I Am Crake posted:

Any man or woman who will type out they are "actually shaking" for anything short of their life being in danger is too much of a pansy to be in the workforce anyhow so eh, I think it worked out for the best.

For someone not having been able to get an interview in months, that's probably not far from the truth...

e: VVVVVVV This is also the case, though. VVVVVVV

TheRagamuffin has a new favorite as of 17:38 on Apr 1, 2016

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

first of all call the future employer to explain what happened

second, none of this really even happened so

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Palpek posted:

second, none of this really even happened so

I dunno what the hell you're on about, funeral homes make first contact with grieving potential clients via email all the time :shrug:

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I dunno what the hell you're on about, funeral homes make first contact with grieving potential clients via email all the time :shrug:

Maybe it means, like, "Your father has dropped the mic on life, come see us for your funerary needs."

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Dude said that funeral home one was fake, he made it as an example of how this lovely prank could go wrong.

https://twitter.com/waxpancake/status/715783278473687040

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Yeah, the actual April Fools' here is people pranking Google with fake problems into removing their April Fools' joke. Pretty meta.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
The real April Fool is whoever uses gmail for business purposes.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

veedubfreak posted:

fo' real. I use yahoo.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

veedubfreak posted:

I live in a world where I have to email people with aol email addresses. Gmail would be a step up. I can reasonably believe the resume one, but again, a phone call or follow up email to explain would have helped instead of complaining about it on the internet.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

veedubfreak posted:

Google has Gmail for businesses and you get to use your own domain. I have no idea if this prank was on those as well. It would suck if it was since Google charges most businesses for hosting their email.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
My business uses Gmail for our @companyname.com email and I haven't seen anything minion-related today, fortunately.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
i wish i knew so little about the world that a bad april fools joke could upset me

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

fullroundaction posted:

My business uses Gmail for our @companyname.com email and I haven't seen anything minion-related today, fortunately.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Levitate posted:

Are we sure this isn't some kind of social art project/commentary at this point

I have family members that wont shut up about trump being a plant candidate to make hillary look good. They called him a manchurian candidate but i think that's about getting a candidate to destroy the country from the inside. Maybe they have a point after all . . . :tinfoil:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
One of the state agencies we deal with on a regular basis uses standard gmail and that poo poo is always blacklisted on our spam firewall. Constantly have to go in and white list it.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Lotish posted:

fo' real. I use yahoo.

Hells yea. When companies gets a resume from 10inchsexgod69@yahoo, they can't wait to interview me. :heysexy:

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I Am Crake posted:

Hey hi I know it is normal to have to explain emotions to people on the internet so I would like to point out that it is possible to shake with rage or desire in addition to fear and possibly there are other emotions or "feelings" that could cause a similar physical reaction.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
n/m

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

veedubfreak posted:

One of the state agencies we deal with on a regular basis uses standard gmail and that poo poo is always blacklisted on our spam firewall. Constantly have to go in and white list it.

Basically the entire Colorado state government uses gmail for government except like some of the schools and prisons.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

titties posted:

Hey hi I know it is normal to have to explain emotions to people on the internet so I would like to point out that it is possible to shake with rage or desire in addition to fear and possibly there are other emotions or "feelings" that could cause a similar physical reaction.

Calm your titties.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Atmus posted:

Basically the entire Colorado state government uses gmail for government except like some of the schools and prisons.

Heh, ya I was actually talking about CDPHE :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
what kind of a loving moron wold be 'upset' over losing his job?!?!