Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Since you bring up the Void Lords, what is the current status of Sargeras? Is he trapped in the Twisting Nether or anything? What's to stop him just flying over to Azeroth and cleaving it in two with his big sword?

For anyone not up to date on Warcraft lore, Azeroth the planet was a super powerful unformed Titan. The Void Lords are some interdimensional horror who sent the old gods there to corrupt it so they could use the power to break through into reality. The Titans thought that Azeroth was the great hope for the universe, but Sargeras disagreed and thought it was too dangerous, so he killed all the Titans and then went round destroying all the planets so the Void Lords have no chance of corrupting them. By now Azeroth the Titan is stillborn, but a piece of his spirit lives on in the living creatures that inhabit it, so that's why your 90 gnome warrior is so special.

BTW Sargeras looks like a giant Dark Templar with a Runeblade. He is distilled Metzen.

CJ fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Mar 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I think the thing stopping Sargeras from cutting Azeroth in half is that he is a really, really long way away. He wants to be summoned because it's faster than just moving on his own power. Basically he's just lazy, maybe lost because lots of space looks like other parts of space.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 199 days!
I thought his avatar was laying in the Tomb of Sargaras, and that he can potentially return from it under the right conditions?

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
If Titans take a long time to move through space, why was everyone so worried about that Algalon thing? I thought they had like a mass relay to travel around the galaxy or something.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

CJ posted:

If Titans take a long time to move through space, why was everyone so worried about that Algalon thing? I thought they had like a mass relay to travel around the galaxy or something.

E: Loken died, so the Algalon was sent to Azeroth to assess the situation. If he decided the planet needed to be wiped out, Uldum would have been activated to complete the process.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Mar 31, 2016

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
This all sounds terribly convoluted.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Applewhite posted:

This all sounds terrible

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

CJ posted:

BTW Sargeras looks like a giant Dark Templar with a Runeblade. He is distilled Metzen.

Question about the runeblade: conventional logic would suggest that the purpose of runes is to invoke the intercession of a higher power to bless the blade. What's the point of having runes when you're a literal god?

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Applewhite posted:

Question about the runeblade: conventional logic would suggest that the purpose of runes is to invoke the intercession of a higher power to bless the blade. What's the point of having runes when you're a literal god?

They're like flame decals, or truck nuts.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Craft love not war

Yeah, I personally hope the movie stays away from the puppet-master villain angle. It's fine for vidyah games, where each new release reveals the TRUE bad guy who corrupted the previous one, like an endless matryoska doll, but that would be pretty lame for movies. Well, it's kinda funny, maybe it would work

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Even though they've run it into the ground I think Arthas' story would make a decent movie. It might be kinda fun to see his descent into madness in movie form.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hodgepodge posted:

I'm not sure if this is :thejoke:, but everything in Warcraft is the Old Gods' fault these days anyhow.

And the Old Gods themselves have recently been revealed to just be disposable minions of the Void Lords.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Cythereal posted:

And the Old Gods themselves have recently been revealed to just be disposable minions of the Void Lords.

I'm going to spend the rest of today thinking about the lovely names of the gods who will inevitably be revealed as controlling the Void Lords.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
When was this Void Gods thing come out? Aren't we between expansions at the moment?

I don't mind the change, though, because I've kinda like the idea of undercutting the Lovecraftian entities in WoW.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

When was this Void Gods thing come out? Aren't we between expansions at the moment?

I don't mind the change, though, because I've kinda like the idea of undercutting the Lovecraftian entities in WoW.

They released a book of retcons lore.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 199 days!

Grendels Dad posted:

I'm going to spend the rest of today thinking about the lovely names of the gods who will inevitably be revealed as controlling the Void Lords.

The Vacuum Princes
The Omega Masters
The Quantum Jerkfield
The Douchebags from Beyond
The Uberdarkness

I also like how Sargeras is basically the avatar of Metzen's desire to wipe the slate clean and write his own story from scratch.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

They released a book of retcons lore.

Yep, complete with a grand updated cosmology that wouldn't be out of place in Dungeons and Dragons. You've got the normal world at the center of the cosmos, surrounded by the five elemental planes (the usual four plus spirit), then the Emerald Dream and Shadowlands as more or less heaven and hell, then the six cosmic forces and their exemplars, each opposed by another: Life and the Wild Gods, opposed by Death and the Undead. Light and the Naaru, opposed by The Void and the Void Lords. Order and the Titans, opposed by Chaos and the Legion.

Incidentally arcane magic is also retconned as not being addictive or corruptive anymore, it's the fundamental magic of Order and the Titans. Speaking of which, Elune is strongly implied to be a Titan.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Hodgepodge posted:

write his own story from scratch.

:crossarms: I'm not sure that's how Christopher Vincent Metzen works anymore.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Cythereal posted:

Yep, complete with a grand updated cosmology that wouldn't be out of place in Dungeons and Dragons. You've got the normal world at the center of the cosmos, surrounded by the five elemental planes (the usual four plus spirit), then the Emerald Dream and Shadowlands as more or less heaven and hell, then the six cosmic forces and their exemplars, each opposed by another: Life and the Wild Gods, opposed by Death and the Undead. Light and the Naaru, opposed by The Void and the Void Lords. Order and the Titans, opposed by Chaos and the Legion.

Incidentally arcane magic is also retconned as not being addictive or corruptive anymore, it's the fundamental magic of Order and the Titans. Speaking of which, Elune is strongly implied to be a Titan.

Just post the pic.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Well they needed more material for expansions.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

CJ posted:

Just post the pic.

Seems like the positions of order and disorder should be swapped.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Hodgepodge posted:

The Vacuum Princes
They would make even the bravest Worgen lose his courage.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

CJ posted:

Just post the pic.

Imagine making a real-life bronze version of this and taking it back in time to medieval times or whatever. Do you think anybody would use it as a basis for their worldview or would even the people back then recognize it as bullshit?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Applewhite posted:

Imagine making a real-life bronze version of this and taking it back in time to medieval times or whatever. Do you think anybody would use it as a basis for their worldview or would even the people back then recognize it as bullshit?

From what I gather that sort of cosmo/theological chart seems to be more of an early modern thing but I think people would probably understand the general gist of it but I doubt anyone would be very convinced.

Some examples from history:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

man they really ruined all their franchises didn't they.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Oh boy, the great wheel from the worst versions of DnD finally made it into WoW.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

CJ posted:

Since you bring up the Void Lords, what is the current status of Sargeras? Is he trapped in the Twisting Nether or anything? What's to stop him just flying over to Azeroth and cleaving it in two with his big sword?

Last time I checked Sargeras was still Physically stuck in the Twisting Nether/Pocket dimension from when he tried to get to Azeroth through a Huge portal that slammed shut on him. Though apparently he can still travel around and mess with people with his mind/spirit/whatever.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Oh boy, the great wheel from the worst versions of DnD finally made it into WoW.

Funny, those don't look they were from a 3.5 book.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Bob Quixote posted:

Funny, those don't look they were from a 3.5 book.

Ha, fair enough.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

All these universes starting to look alike.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Oh man, that just reminded me of the 3D Superman comics Grant Morrison wrote.
"To be continued"

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

wyoming posted:

Oh man, that just reminded me of the 3D Superman comics Grant Morrison wrote.
"To be continued"

One of my favourite Superman bits ever, it's great.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I bought that book because of this thread, drat you people.

I've always been a sucker for Warcraft's lore, so I'm biased as hell, but honestly the (re)codifying of the various pantheons isn't as drastic/shocking as you'd think. Sure, it's obviously a case of "poo poo, we've got all these various things going on", but it works well enough. Now the Well of Eternity is the result of a Titan going "gently caress this battling through proxies poo poo" and just trying to get rid of an Old God by the root.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

nah dude anything post 2 is dumb as poo poo and it's hilarious how it gets dumber with each iteration. wc3 was still a good game tho.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Warcraft lore sounds like the comic Spawn when I stopped reading.

In this issue.. GOD!!

In this issue... GODS BOSS!!!!!

In this issue GODS BOSSES BOSS!!!!

Next week in Spawn.. Who is the mysterious person Gods bosses boss is taking orders from?

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

504 posted:

Warcraft lore sounds like the comic Spawn when I stopped reading.

In this issue.. GOD!!

In this issue... GODS BOSS!!!!!

In this issue GODS BOSSES BOSS!!!!

Next week in Spawn.. Who is the mysterious person Gods bosses boss is taking orders from?

It's all so very Gurren Lagan.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Groovelord Neato posted:

nah dude anything post 2 is dumb as poo poo and it's hilarious how it gets dumber with each iteration. wc3 was still a good game tho.

Dude, it's always been really dumb.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah but back then it was just goofy orcs come through portal from craggy mushroomland and humans fight em. there wasn't some ridiculous cosmology with space gods being controlled by other space gods.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah but back then it was just goofy orcs come through portal from craggy mushroomland and humans fight em. there wasn't some ridiculous cosmology with space gods being controlled by other space gods.

So your metric for dumbness is complexity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

uh yes? it's a lot worse when something is both dumb and convoluted.

• Locked thread