Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

It took them long enough!

Interested to see about life-long pensions vs payout for disability. Gunner's Ear would only be a couple bucks a month I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Barrakketh posted:

It means the thread title is more relevant than ever.

Wondering when you guys will issue C1's again they look pretty snazzy and the Pattern 64/82 gear will make Canada stand out on the battlefield.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I think the C1s are gone mostly. Destroyed.

And good luck buying back all the '84 pattern stuff from the surplus stores, that poo poo's expensive now.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

MA-Horus posted:

I think the C1s are gone mostly. Destroyed.

And good luck buying back all the '84 pattern stuff from the surplus stores, that poo poo's expensive now.

This is Canada. The government will sole-source a company in Quebec to make it for 10x the market value.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

All i want is a set of unmolested '84 pattern pants for camping. Wish I had kept a pair.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I genuinely wish someone had kept C1's around as DMRs . The Americans put M14s to good use over the past 15 years.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

I genuinely wish x.

This is the CF, son. We gotta make do with mild yearnings.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
We Made Do with C7CTs, AR10s, and C3s. They've been trying to implement a 7.62mm scoped semi-auto for almost a decade now too but we all know how the procurement process is. They were "almost done" with it when I got out 5 years ago.

acumen fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 29, 2016

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Weren't the C1s just worn to poo poo by the time they were retired? I mean, the American DMRs were probably re-arsenal'd at some point or entirely new manufacture. We would probably just throw a lovely airsoft scope on a clapped-out C1 and say "welp have fun"

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

acumen posted:

We Made Do with C7CTs, AR10s, and C3s. They've been trying to inplement a 7.62mm scoped semi-auto for almost a decade now too but we all know how the procurement process is. They were "almost done" with it when I got out 5 years ago.
Yea my leadership were promising new troop carriers "any day now!" around the same time.

MA-Horus posted:

Weren't the C1s just worn to poo poo by the time they were retired? I mean, the American DMRs were probably re-arsenal'd at some point or entirely new manufacture. We would probably just throw a lovely airsoft scope on a clapped-out C1 and say "welp have fun"
The c1's were retired because we ran out of replacement parts. So not worn to poo poo so much as broken and unfixable

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I only wish they had done that with the BHPs too

No replacement parts? gently caress you!

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
No, gently caress you! The hi-powers are awesome. Not their fault your guys couldn't take care of the magazines. My regiment was super anal about pistol magazine care and it really paid off. Out of the dozen times I got to shoot them, I never had a stoppage

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

No, gently caress you! The hi-powers are awesome.

These are words being spoken my god

Did...did your unit have virgin BHPs or something? I had to share mine with 2 infantry regiments, sigs, medics and service. It was the most depressing jungle lane ever I'll tell you what.

"THE TARGET IS RIGHT THERE SHOOT WHAT THE gently caress"

*jamjamjamjamjamjamFUCKjamjamjam*

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
1 Horse had a stash of pistols for each battery(at the time, don't know if they still do) and our battery took really good care of the magazines(banged up mags are the main culprit for bhp jams according to the weapons techs) and had ordered a new batch of mags in 2010ish. Never had a hitch with them.

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

Nothing happen for nothing
Is the Sig Saur different? I've probably shot over 2,500 rounds through mine and the only time I've had issues with jamming is due to dirt after dropping empty mags on reload.. a little water usually fixes it.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

1 Horse had a stash of pistols for each battery(at the time, don't know if they still do) and our battery took really good care of the magazines(banged up mags are the main culprit for bhp jams according to the weapons techs) and had ordered a new batch of mags in 2010ish. Never had a hitch with them.

Confirmed. BHP's are good pistols, and most of the problems are due to clapped out magazines.

The pistols that got the mid-life upgrade with new mags in the 90's were pretty good reliability wise. Even the pistols with the old mags are fine if the mags are still good.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

I have a BHP of my own and it's good. The ones I used in the infantry during training were dogshit though, goddamn. Nothing like a stoppage after every round fired off.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
Best part of the BHP is running the qualification range, and after the 80 or so officers and SNCOs go through it's up to the Cpls and Mcpls to burn through (or I guess technically give back) the rest of the ammo. We were doing range rundowns from 50m with a pistol in each hand and 1 in the holster, desperado style. Our range finished at 1300 and we played with guns until 1700. Must have burned through 3000 rounds between 6 of us. Trying to hit a target with a gun in each hand is impossible though.

gently caress junior Lieutenants are easy to manipulate.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Yeah unmolested BHPs are good firearms because John Moses Browning makes Hiram Maxim look like a bitch in the "My designs have killed the most people" category and gives Kalashnikov a run for his money

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

MA-Horus posted:

Yeah unmolested BHPs are good firearms because John Moses Browning makes Hiram Maxim look like a bitch in the "My designs have killed the most people" category and gives Kalashnikov a run for his money

this is so right

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

Does anyone know exactly how APS posting messages are cut? After being cut - how are they delivered (I imagine through clerks and SSMs)?

Is there an actual timeline/deadline they all need to be delivered, or is it completely at the discretion of the CM/email chain?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Chief Clerk should know I think.

My cousin is a MP at 101 and keeps getting prime gigs in embassy security. Is there a way to get in on close protection / security without an OT?

e: Without speaking Arabic/Lithuanian preferably.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Frosted Flake posted:

Chief Clerk should know I think.

My cousin is a MP at 101 and keeps getting prime gigs in embassy security. Is there a way to get in on close protection / security without an OT?

e: Without speaking Arabic/Lithuanian preferably.

Embassy security and Air Marshal time are two of the jammiest gigs in the trade. The year I spent in Kabul wasn't exactly a game-changer career wise but I made a bit of coin, had a lot of fun and met some seriously solid human beings (the Afghans and civi staff obviously; not my own supervisors).

If you aren't an MP, the only way you're getting a CP job is to join the unit that does CP, but the downside of that is having to live in Carleton Place.

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

flakeloaf posted:

Embassy security and Air Marshal time are two of the jammiest gigs in the trade. The year I spent in Kabul wasn't exactly a game-changer career wise but I made a bit of coin, had a lot of fun and met some seriously solid human beings (the Afghans and civi staff obviously; not my own supervisors).

If you aren't an MP, the only way you're getting a CP job is to join the unit that does CP, but the downside of that is having to live in Carleton Place.

Stittsville and Kanata aren't bad either.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I've read this three times and I'm still uncertain what the policy is. Whose job is it to decide what combat is?

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/politics/defence-chief-combat-mission-1.3455375

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

The term "combat mission" should never have been used as a descriptor for anything, and arguing over its definition is stupid semantic nonsense. Sounds more like the opposition are flailing around trying to paint the libs as warhawks or something I dunno.

The CDS' assertion that PSO and self defence while actually under attack aren't "combat missions" is fine with me. If they were, working in a recruiting centre could be a "combat mission" because soldiers were attacked and defended themselves with force :haw:

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Our SF is obviously getting into it when training and it amazes me that people think a few F-18s are in more "combat" than CSOR/JTF2 are/were.

The way it is, it's partially appealing to all sides of the argument and I'd even agree that what we're doing is the best option. We

a) are spending less by not constantly flying fighter jets
b) are still providing our (best, no less) troops with combat experience
c) pretending to be conducting a happy mission for the hippies
d) training the locals to do their own thing since we all know the quagmire of trying to institute democracy and western beliefs in that part of the world
e) are still shooting ISIS jerks

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
The only thing that should constitute combat is when our troops are put in harms way. Bam, done, I'll take the CDS' pay cheque for the month tyvm.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

What is the best way to find out who my VAC person is?

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Call the veterans affairs office and ask whoever answers. They'll let you know right away. Probably even transfer you to them.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Frosted Flake posted:

What is the best way to find out who my VAC person is?

Call 1-866-522-2122 and ask to speak to your case manager. All you need is your service number but if you haven't made initial contact or don't have a name for your case manager you might not be assigned one yet. Did you meet with someone from VAC during your release appointments?

They're ridiculously swamped with veterans and it's a mission to get a hold of my case manager and I've been in the system for several years now.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

I was told that my own pension transfer would take years to sort out, and in the meantime i just have to accept that my public service pension statements are gibberish.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

MagicCube posted:

Call 1-866-522-2122 and ask to speak to your case manager. All you need is your service number but if you haven't made initial contact or don't have a name for your case manager you might not be assigned one yet. Did you meet with someone from VAC during your release appointments?

They're ridiculously swamped with veterans and it's a mission to get a hold of my case manager and I've been in the system for several years now.

If you call up the local veterans office, you have a better chance of speaking to your case manager

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Thanks, I'll call them and try to sort things out on Monday.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

If you call up the local veterans office, you have a better chance of speaking to your case manager

Eh, not mine at this point. Two random days a week she's at the ASU, 2 random days at the VAC office, and 1 day a week on home visits.

I have her office number, cell, and everything, but it's still a pain to get in touch. I was supposed to have a 3 month visit set up for April about 2-3 weeks ago. Halfway through April and I still haven't heard anything. Not a big deal though as I'm spending most of time learning French through the program.

Even though they're overburdened I have zero complaints with my case manager and the medical and vocational rehab program. She's very nice and helpful and the program has been really good to me.

The VRAB on the other hand . . .

MagicCube fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 13, 2016

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Another day, another article about funding delays, but I hit gold incentive level on my PT test this week so I feel pretty good :toot:

Can't shake the feeling that the MLVW replacement project will include tying a burnt out chassis to strapping young soldiers selected for their ruggedness after being identified by the new fitness system, though :canada:

e. Also I realized I left my boxers in my car on the way to the shower but didn't feel like going back for them so I freeballed in a flight suit the rest of the day, felt pretty good.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 20, 2016

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Wait there's incentive levels on the PT tests now?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Eventually yes. Right now they're running the numbers to evaluate how much of an impact they could have at promotion boards assuming the promotion freezes haven't manifested, scores, etc.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

$5000 in prizes you guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Frosted Flake posted:

$5000 in prizes you guys!

That's a lot of Timmies McDonald's coffee.