Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Don't forget that list that went 9-0 at a store champ and got popular over the past few weeks. It's super slow, defense oriented and kind of boring to play, but they are viable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Is that the Martell banner NW deck? The one that focuses on the boneway and the wall?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

No, it's a fealty deck. Fealty is pretty important for helping their econ problems. It's the deck on the homepage on thronesdb.com, but the site seems to be down at the moment.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

I know it's not FFG, but has anyone played the new VS System? That game was hugely popular in my group of friends back in the day. I loved it and was sad it got scuttled. An LCG format sounds like it would be awesome but I haven't met anyone yet that's actually tried it.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

TheHoosier posted:

I know it's not FFG, but has anyone played the new VS System? That game was hugely popular in my group of friends back in the day. I loved it and was sad it got scuttled. An LCG format sounds like it would be awesome but I haven't met anyone yet that's actually tried it.

I haven't heard anything about the gameplay changes but I've heard complaints about printing and card quality. Which is a shame because I also was a Vs. addict back in the day.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

TheHoosier posted:

Got it, didn't seem great in the one game of it I played. Cards had very little board permanency. I don't remember the game from beyond playing the video game form that came out for PC and Gameboy, but this felt like they made it more hearthstone-ish and there was less synergy with having your characters constantly generate effects and more with them hitting the board, doing their thing for a turn, and dying. Because of that, one I managed to get a character advantage my opponent had no comeback and victory snowballed.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

JoshTheStampede posted:

I haven't heard anything about the gameplay changes but I've heard complaints about printing and card quality. Which is a shame because I also was a Vs. addict back in the day.

PaybackJack posted:

Got it, didn't seem great in the one game of it I played. Cards had very little board permanency. I don't remember the game from beyond playing the video game form that came out for PC and Gameboy, but this felt like they made it more hearthstone-ish and there was less synergy with having your characters constantly generate effects and more with them hitting the board, doing their thing for a turn, and dying. Because of that, one I managed to get a character advantage my opponent had no comeback and victory snowballed.

Sad. I loved all the crazy decks people built in the old system. The game had a bad power creep issue, but for every tournament-winning JLA deck, there was that sly bastard running Kangbang, GL Willpower, or Doom In Hell. And Warpaint. poo poo that deck was amazing...

I guess they're two different games sharing the same name, but that's still kind of disappointing. Maybe it will grow into something better.

TheHoosier fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 1, 2016

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Upper Deck's components are worse than WizKids. Those cards are such poo poo printing and paper I'm almost mad I bought Legendary Alien, even at a big discount.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Yeah the Vs game isn't all that good. It has some similarities with the old one, but it's been dumbed down a lot, for lack of better term. It's also went to a mechanic where instead of attacking the player, each person has a superhero that they choose and needs to be killed. They also made the bizarre decision to add a system similar to mana, which kinda goes against one of the things that made the old vs. system so great (basically no real mana screw).

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Yeah, I think I'm going to ditch this "2pcg" crap and just grab a bunch of stuff off eBay and make a few balanced decks.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

PaybackJack posted:

Yeah, I think I'm going to ditch this "2pcg" crap and just grab a bunch of stuff off eBay and make a few balanced decks.

I still have all of my old VS stuff. Maybe i'll get the guys together with a 12-pack and we'll see who gets pissed first :D I had a Spider-Friends/Heralds of Galactus deck that could easily lock down the board every turn until Big G visits on Turn 9. Bonus points if I get to play Silver Surfer, Harbinger of Oblivion on Turn 8

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bottom Liner posted:

Upper Deck's components are worse than WizKids. Those cards are such poo poo printing and paper I'm almost mad I bought Legendary Alien, even at a big discount.

I've not had any problems with Legendary Encounters apart from a single missing card from LE: Predator which was replaced no trouble.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

FFG has some spoilers for Called to Arms, the second pack after Wolves of the North:

Reserve value gonna be super important after the deluxe, it looks like. I like how plot types are really starting to become a valid strategy as well.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Greyjoy winter deck with Fishwhiskers is going to be my jam!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I don't know how I feel about the summer/winter theme being tied to plot card traits. That's such a crap shoot way to build a deck that depending on your opponent's to have ornnot have specific things. The reserve stuff is cool though, I want to see more of that kind of design.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Bottom Liner posted:

I don't know how I feel about the summer/winter theme being tied to plot card traits. That's such a crap shoot way to build a deck that depending on your opponent's to have ornnot have specific things. The reserve stuff is cool though, I want to see more of that kind of design.

But it's not like the cards are bad on their own. Both of those plots seem perfectly playable, if Summer is a bit better.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I don't mind the summer/winter them as long as it remains neutral. Right now Star Wars is doing and Endor theme and the Scum faction is completely ignored which is making their stuff very insular and not able to cross pollenate with the other new decks that are built around the Endor theme. It's extremely frustrating, and if the Summer/Winter thing ends up with one side being strong and the other side just being meta to it, it's going to be really bad if certain factions are able to take advantage of that more than others.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

It's certainly better than that raven business.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

PaybackJack posted:

I don't mind the summer/winter them as long as it remains neutral. Right now Star Wars is doing and Endor theme and the Scum faction is completely ignored which is making their stuff very insular and not able to cross pollenate with the other new decks that are built around the Endor theme. It's extremely frustrating, and if the Summer/Winter thing ends up with one side being strong and the other side just being meta to it, it's going to be really bad if certain factions are able to take advantage of that more than others.

Well they balance each other out, which is actually really smart in terms of game design. And different factions will obviously lean more towards one or the other as well, which will also encourage diversity in deck building.

Deviant posted:

But it's not like the cards are bad on their own. Both of those plots seem perfectly playable, if Summer is a bit better.

This is a good point, they're pretty solid plots on their own and the agendas are probably worth it even if they only trigger the bonus effect ~50% of the time.

Also, that art on the plot cards looks out of place in this game (but still good). Are there any other cards with that style?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

TheHoosier posted:

FFG has some spoilers for Called to Arms, the second pack after Wolves of the North:

Reserve value gonna be super important after the deluxe, it looks like. I like how plot types are really starting to become a valid strategy as well.

Just an FYI. Called to Arms is a long way off. There's 2 more sets yet in the Westeroes cycle and Called to Arms in the second pack in the 5 kings cycle. Wolves of the North should actually be out this upcoming week. So these plots/agenda will not be out for about 4 months.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

The Black Stones posted:

Just an FYI. Called to Arms is a long way off. There's 2 more sets yet in the Westeroes cycle and Called to Arms in the second pack in the 5 kings cycle. Wolves of the North should actually be out this upcoming week. So these plots/agenda will not be out for about 4 months.

Oh I know, was just postin' for discussion. Luckily I don't have to tear apart my Targ fealty or Bara fealty decks yet. NW, on the other hand...

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I know this is the longest of long shots but I'm going to be in Seattle for a week starting tomorrow, are there any GoT2.0 events happening in the area? Should I pack my decks?

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

PaybackJack posted:

This is kinda what happened during 1.0. Winter was generally considered much stronger, and the factions that had winter cards/stuff that played off of winter benefited heavily. Also anything that was punished by summer was generally going to be stronger just because summer was so much weaker.

Deviant posted:

Also, they're not the only Summer/Winter plots that are around. Calm Over Westeros is summer I believe, and obviously First Snow of Winter is a winter plot.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Some stuff from the Stark box. That 7 gold plot looks really good. Sacrifice a character when revealed, but that will have a lot of synergy with some of the new Stark cards.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

7-7-1-7??? :allears:

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Pinwiz11 posted:

7-7-1-7??? :allears:

You have to sac a character you control on reveal. Still good.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

JoshTheStampede posted:

Refresh my memory on "sacrifice" in agot? Can I throw away a duplicate?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Deviant posted:

Refresh my memory on "sacrifice" in agot? Can I throw away a duplicate?

Nope, sacrifice doesn't allow saves.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

JoshTheStampede posted:

oh no my reducer whatever shall i do... :woop:

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Pinwiz11 posted:

oh no my reducer whatever shall i do... :woop:

Or my dude who has a power that procs on sacrifice, or the chud I dropped Lightbringer on last turn because I didn't have another Rhllor, etc etc

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
What's the event on the top left read?

e: Found it.

Tithe
Neutral Event, 0 Gold
Action: Kneel a neutral character to gain 2 gold.

AMooseDoesStuff fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Apr 3, 2016

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The obvious synergy with that 7 gold one is Ward. Marched works too. Looking forward to my god round of First Snow, playing Ward, followed by a Matched the next round.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

There are tons of synergies with it. Targ can run it to trigger Viserys, etc.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Does anyone else think people are way overreacting to First Snow? To hear facebook/cardgamedb tell it, every single deck has been rendered unplayable by it.

My main deck right now is Tyrell Crossing knights/ladies, which everyone says is dead now, but it seems...fine? Like, just don't blow any Roses on small guys and don't Tourney for the King until after the Snow hits. It maybe slows it down a turn but Roses on Arbor Knights and early Tourney turns were greedy and risky already anyway. Now you just have to wait to be in striking distance (which in that deck is like...7-9 power away from winning) before you blow your wad.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

JoshTheStampede posted:

Does anyone else think people are way overreacting to First Snow? To hear facebook/cardgamedb tell it, every single deck has been rendered unplayable by it.

My main deck right now is Tyrell Crossing knights/ladies, which everyone says is dead now, but it seems...fine? Like, just don't blow any Roses on small guys and don't Tourney for the King until after the Snow hits. It maybe slows it down a turn but Roses on Arbor Knights and early Tourney turns were greedy and risky already anyway. Now you just have to wait to be in striking distance (which in that deck is like...7-9 power away from winning) before you blow your wad.

I think it's good, but it's nowhere near as good as people are making it out to be if they're claiming its something super amazing. IMO, good decks thrive on being able to push out some weenies to be able to take heat off of your heavy hitters. It's a double edged sword. It's a good plot, but I haven't integrated it into many of my decks because for almost all of them I can see how it would hurt me just as much.

The Black Stones fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Apr 3, 2016

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

JoshTheStampede posted:

My Targ deck obviously hates it, but I can probably just Call the Banners the next turn and put out 2/3 Dragons (Probably Rhaegal and Viserion). It sucks to essentially waste a turn to redo my setup, but it doesn't bounce Dany or Drogo or anything. It's not as bad as it seems. I imagine some decks would hate it more than others. I haven't faced it with my Bara deck but off the top of my head I can't see where it would really damage me too much.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The only deck it affects for me is Tyrell/Stark Knights/Ladies, but as mentioned, it usually affects the opponent a lot as well. I think it's more of an alternate Wildfire than anything.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

TheHoosier posted:

My Targ deck obviously hates it, but I can probably just Call the Banners the next turn and put out 2/3 Dragons (Probably Rhaegal and Viserion). It sucks to essentially waste a turn to redo my setup, but it doesn't bounce Dany or Drogo or anything. It's not as bad as it seems. I imagine some decks would hate it more than others. I haven't faced it with my Bara deck but off the top of my head I can't see where it would really damage me too much.

Well yeah, the idea against Targ is to bounce your dragons and weenies and then win a military, so you have to kill either Dany or Drogo to claim. It makes military a bigger deal, which is fine since I was getting to the point where military challenges didn't even matter unless you could do multiples or needed a Put to the Sword or needed to make 3 challenges for Crossing or something. With no board clears and ample weenies/dupes, it was just not very impactful compared to intrigue/power.

E: but it doesn't say no saves, so you can dupe your dragons anyway, same for really important 3-drops like Margaery.

JoshTheStampede fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 3, 2016

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

JoshTheStampede posted:

Well yeah, the idea against Targ is to bounce your dragons and weenies and then win a military, so you have to kill either Dany or Drogo to claim. It makes military a bigger deal, which is fine since I was getting to the point where military challenges didn't even matter unless you could do multiples or needed a Put to the Sword or needed to make 3 challenges for Crossing or something. With no board clears and ample weenies/dupes, it was just not very impactful compared to intrigue/power.

E: but it doesn't say no saves, so you can dupe your dragons anyway, same for really important 3-drops like Margaery.

I will clutch that Dracarys dearly if I feel a FSoW coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
So if I want to play somewhat casually, what's my best bet for a LCG? LOTR I'm guessing because of the co op? If I wanted to get something fighty would Game of Thrones be my best bet?