Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
henkman
Oct 8, 2008
https://www.livecap.tv/t/imaqtpie/ufiWFrrqE4l

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Hi I just started playing this game again a couple of weeks ago after playing Dota for a few years. I probably have a month's total experience in LoL. If anyone else in here has done this do you have any tips for learning the differences between the two?

Some things I've noticed:

-Range indicators on skill shots are decorative-looking and the range of the spell is actually a little shorter than the tip of the range indicator arrow. This could just be my imagination because:
-Champs will still cast skill shots in the direction you clicked even if the spot you clicked was out of the spells max range
-Most Champs seem to have a cheap, spammable spell that should be spammed during laning (I'm used to mana being a rare and hot commodity early-game)
-Gangplank is no longer a jolly pirate and this makes me sad

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

ThePeavstenator posted:

-Range indicators on skill shots are decorative-looking and the range of the spell is actually a little shorter than the tip of the range indicator arrow. This could just be my imagination because:

Some champions yes, but gently caress the range indicator on Sion Q which is clearly slightly shorter than the actual length of the spell.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I'm in the same boat, but replace Dota with HoTS. I was more hoping to see if anyone had a basic primer to all the heroes? Was playing with some sort of fish man and he kept eating me and enemies on such a low cooldown that like. That couldn't be his ult, right?

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

ThePeavstenator posted:

-Range indicators on skill shots are decorative-looking and the range of the spell is actually a little shorter than the tip of the range indicator arrow.

Generally speaking this is the opposite. Most line skill shots (naut/blitz hook, jhin ult, etc) actually hit a bit beyond their target range. It depends on champion/ability though

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Bogart posted:

I'm in the same boat, but replace Dota with HoTS. I was more hoping to see if anyone had a basic primer to all the heroes? Was playing with some sort of fish man and he kept eating me and enemies on such a low cooldown that like. That couldn't be his ult, right?

Tahm Kench can eat you when the fish indicator on you is filled up. It's filled up when he hits you 3 times with any combination of spells and auto attacks.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Bogart posted:

That could be Tahm

OR Fizz, whose ult and kit is on a bullshit low cooldown

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Bogart posted:

Since there's over 100 heroes, the best way to learn is to a) go into the client where you can see all the champs, sort them by Mage, Marksman, Tank, whatever and see which champs fall into what generic roles, and I guess b) play a lot of ARAM. That'll expose you to a toooon of different champs and you can get a general idea of who does what. Also play all of the free week champs each week too.

linall
Feb 1, 2007

ThePeavstenator posted:

-Champs will still cast skill shots in the direction you clicked even if the spot you clicked was out of the spells max range
-Most Champs seem to have a cheap, spammable spell that should be spammed during laning (I'm used to mana being a rare and hot commodity early-game)

Range indicators can be changed to a more utilitarian view, just check under UI settings and uncheck line missile display. I can't speak to them being more accurate, but there's certainly less ambiguity that way.

It used to be that some spells would force your champ to move until they were in range of the spot you clicked, but I believe there was a push to standardize cases to the the behavior you noted a few seasons ago. Not sure, but I think everything behaves this way now.

Mana is certainly more plentiful in League as I understand. Not everyone has a low cost ability to spam, but most champs can afford a few spell rotations before your mana is empty.

He caught a rework. No more denyplank because that is anti-fun. Not sure how AOE armor ignoring barrels are much better, but GP is definitely stronger afterwards.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

linall posted:

Range indicators can be changed to a more utilitarian view, just check under UI settings and uncheck line missile display. I can't speak to them being more accurate, but there's certainly less ambiguity that way.

It used to be that some spells would force your champ to move until they were in range of the spot you clicked, but I believe there was a push to standardize cases to the the behavior you noted a few seasons ago. Not sure, but I think everything behaves this way now.

Mana is certainly more plentiful in League as I understand. Not everyone has a low cost ability to spam, but most champs can afford a few spell rotations before your mana is empty.

He caught a rework. No more denyplank because that is anti-fun. Not sure how AOE armor ignoring barrels are much better, but GP is definitely stronger afterwards.

I don't care about the spells being reworked so much as the fact that he became dark and gritty and got a Batman-Pirate voice.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThePeavstenator posted:

I don't care about the spells being reworked so much as the fact that he became dark and gritty and got a Batman-Pirate voice.

He was tragically defeated where he returned more gritty and with a robot arm. I think someone with your avatar should know what that means. :colbert:

He's not the real Gangplank.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

I can't wait for them to re-re-work Gangplank where he'll be voiced by Kiefer Sutherland

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Bogart posted:

The fish man who's eating you and also eating enemies is Tahm Kench. He can passively mark enemies; if he gets three marks on them (where you build marks by autoattacking or using his Q, the tongue lash), then he can swallow them up, waddle a short distance, and spit them out. He can also swallow allies, as I'm sure you've noticed, but he doesn't need to stack marks on allies in order to swallow them.

His ult is a teleport, not the devour. However, the two can be used together; Kench can swallow an ally, and then ult somewhere else on the map, and his ally can pop out and they can both join a fight.

Alternatively, Kench can just swallow an ally to pull them out of danger; Kench is pretty tanky (and one of his skills lets him turn damage that he's taken recently into a shield that rapidly decays, essentially giving him two health bars in a pinch), so if he's being played as a support, he can save his ADC from getting all-inned by the opposing botlane.

Of course, he can also just swallow allies and spit them into enemy turrets to be a jerk.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Bogart posted:

that guy is tahm kench and is the motherfucker of league of legends. if you get attacked look at your character for a split second to see if you have anything appear on your guy to indicate if you get hit more something will happen because there are a few other characters that get extra damage if they hit you a few more times(vi, vayne, braum, to name a few) and other people do extra damage if they hit you after marking you with one of their abilities

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

ThePeavstenator posted:

Hi I just started playing this game again a couple of weeks ago after playing Dota for a few years. I probably have a month's total experience in LoL. If anyone else in here has done this do you have any tips for learning the differences between the two?

Some things I've noticed:

Some of the stuff you may have caught onto already, but:
-Vision is like, WAY different. Trinkets let you spit wards for free or clear wards. Gem doesn't exist. It makes things play out quite differently to the point that I don't really have a handle on the repercussions.
-Spell cast times are shorter, turn speed is instant, attack animations are largely really snappy. Combined with Flash it can make plays occur in very short periods of time, with small windows to react to it. Also it's possible to cancel ranged autoattacks while the projectile is in the air so don't do that.
-Flash is God. It's hugely influential and whether or not you have it up and what you use it for is enormous.
-Lanes are defined. 99% of games or more will be the usual 1/1/2 + J setup.
-No courier means you have to base to grab poo poo. When you do this matters. If you do it so you miss minimal exp and gold you're good (eg. when your creeps are crashing their tower). If you have to back and miss waves it's pretty bad. Doing this right lets you get a big step up on people who don't.
-The account levelling experience sucks dick, but it's better than it was.
-The jungler is kind of like the wild card that can influence all the lanes early on. That said, it's your job to play your lane and it's not his fault you're 0/5. Just pretend your jungler is never gonna show up.

That's what I can think of off top.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Yeah I like to play junglers because the laning stage lasts forever and it's harder to kill during it so I'd rather play a guy that gets kills early and often.

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
The more you quote me, the worse I post :smug:
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I DON'T NEED TO READ TO PLAY LEAGUE OF LEGENDS
Can I get some opinions on Sejuanni? I just played her 4v5 for the first 15 minutes of a game because our mid wouldn't connect and managed to win by getting our topkali a kill + double kill by level 7. I'm not quite sure how to build her but her CC seems to be a nightmare to get away from, and tankiness? I solo'd a SION under HIS tower at level 14.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
She scales well but sucks really hard pre-6. Q flash + glacial prison is probably the best initiation in the game along with Malphite ult.

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
The more you quote me, the worse I post :smug:
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I DON'T NEED TO READ TO PLAY LEAGUE OF LEGENDS
I actually managed to gank at level 4 after clearing bottom (red side: gromp, blue wolves) into red and top, got a flash out of it with the red slow and W E combo.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
I like frost pig

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

the funny thing was that this guy was super nice for the entire game despite playing badly from 8 min through to 35 or so

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Cool, thanks for the advice, all. It was Tahm Kench. I mostly wanted to know cause dude was RIPPIN poo poo UP as him and I thought he was rad.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
http://plays.tv/video/56ff036c9062bf5e66/84-flat-arpen-vi?from=user

all arpen vi is pretty fun.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Bogart posted:

Cool, thanks for the advice, all. It was Tahm Kench. I mostly wanted to know cause dude was RIPPIN poo poo UP as him and I thought he was rad.

If you want to play support, top, or jungle (does he still jungle?), you can consider him. He's super-fun and just got a new skin today that makes him look like a manatee. :3:

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I like frost pig

Fire bear is cool but have you ever tried pantheon

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Darth Windu posted:

Fire bear is cool but have you ever tried pantheon

My bad, I actually exclusively ride comrade fire bear, never tried pantheon! Should I press him?

anti-magic
Sep 9, 2012

We've come up in the ram-raiding business, Owl.
It's all high class now.
No more baby seats.

Super Librarian posted:

Well I've mostly just been jungling him because top lane is scary and I need jungle practice anyway, though it seems like most people still take him top lane. It honestly feels pretty straightforward since I normally only play tanky idiot junglers anyway.

His sustain with his passive and grasp of the undying makes laning him super easy. Pros have been throwing an RoA on top of that making it literally impossible to push him out of lane.

He can jungle fine and has a great, safe clear but his W range is kind of short so you pretty much need to rush swiftness boots or find someone horribly out of position.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Just gonna say I really loving hate Zed's and Zed players in general.

If you are a Zed player you are a butt.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

As a Lux player I get giddy when I see I am laning against a Zed because they are usually trash

Radiantweasel
Aug 10, 2013

Fluffdaddy posted:

As a Lux player I get giddy when I see I am laning against a Zed because they are usually trash

As Morgana I like seeing Zed too... as long as I remember to take exhaust.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I play Tf a lot and do not enjoy seeing zed

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Zed...is good

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Is there still a non-full goon whatever (club)?

ThePeavstenator posted:

I can't wait for them to re-re-work Gangplank where he'll be voiced by Kiefer Sutherland
GODDAMIT!!!

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

anti-magic posted:

His sustain with his passive and grasp of the undying makes laning him super easy. Pros have been throwing an RoA on top of that making it literally impossible to push him out of lane.

He can jungle fine and has a great, safe clear but his W range is kind of short so you pretty much need to rush swiftness boots or find someone horribly out of position.

Yeah I ended up giving him a shot in top lane and it was way easier than I expected despite my being really terrible at top lane!! A+++ would play with kitties again

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Yeah, if there's a lovely silvers goon club or something I'd like to join up.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

NTT posted:

Zed...is good

Unlike your posting (not April fools)

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I will never be free of anime

NTT posted:

Zed...is good

Ye pls nerf

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
man i dont remember gold v ever being this hard to get out of

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

im pretty sure the combination of plat players getting reset down from placements and people queuing with their friends has made gold a total shitshow, its like a gutter that collected a bunch of different skill levels. i finished going through gold a few weeks ago but it was honestly a lot harder than it was when i did it late last season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stump collector
May 28, 2007

awesome

• Locked thread