Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Don't buy HoT, imo

Pop in for a few days and play through Super Adventure Box if you want, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

I'm not sure if you're loving with me or not so uhhhh okay. That said, I've heard pretty negative things about FF14 from friends and none of them will play it with me, so I won't be going that route.

I'm purely speaking from a raiding perspective, the rest of the game is dog poo poo and has dull combat but also moogles so it balances out.

If you can get HoT for $20 go for it, you can also log in and muck around in SAB without it.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

I'm not sure if you're loving with me or not so uhhhh okay. That said, I've heard pretty negative things about FF14 from friends and none of them will play it with me, so I won't be going that route.

if you're starting out in FFXIV just now you're going to be pretty loving miserable because you have to slog through literally all the story content, and there's a LOT of filler

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
If you don't go through every piece of content in ff14 you'll be totally lost when ff15 comes out

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Man I'm so glad they brought back SAB, was so nice playing it again tonight. Thanks Tivac.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Alright, so, thinking about getting back into this but don't know if I want to drop $50 on an expansion because I wasn't too totally excited about the base game. So, quick question before I buy.

Basically I'm a WoW raider but just like the first time I played GW2, raiding had been boring and we had a long time to go before it would be interesting again. My main complaint about GW2 was that there was no real endgame, other than the same dungeons that now gave different cosmetic gear and such. Has that changed at all? I really liked GW2s combat and lack of trinity -- a lot -- but I just found myself super bored.

If you didn't get that into GW2 base, HoT probably won't do much for you. The "endgame" is basically running mapwide meta events, running fractals (basically dungeons somewhat gated by a grind), and raids (which as was said, don't have a lot of meat yet). No one really does dungeons anymore because they gutted the gold rewards for them. Beyond that there's a bunch of stuff you can do (collections, challenges/cheevos, legendary crafting, etc.) but I get the feeling that's not what you're looking for.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one

Kessel posted:

if you're starting out in FFXIV just now you're going to be pretty loving miserable because you have to slog through literally all the story content, and there's a LOT of filler

That's exactly the negative stuff I've heard, yeah. That sounds horrible so I'm passing up on it.

Generic Octopus posted:

If you didn't get that into GW2 base, HoT probably won't do much for you. The "endgame" is basically running mapwide meta events, running fractals (basically dungeons somewhat gated by a grind), and raids (which as was said, don't have a lot of meat yet). No one really does dungeons anymore because they gutted the gold rewards for them. Beyond that there's a bunch of stuff you can do (collections, challenges/cheevos, legendary crafting, etc.) but I get the feeling that's not what you're looking for.

Yeah, the mapwide meta event thing didn't totally thrill me when I was doing in in vanilla GW2, and I always wanted to get into fractals but could never find a group for it. Raiding would be a dream for me with GW2s combat/class system (I really do love it), but yes I'm the type of MMO player who wants a reward for doing stuff. I'm not really looking for grinding out challenges or collections, no.

Thanks for the honesty! Definitely going to pass on this then.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Yeah, the mapwide meta event thing didn't totally thrill me when I was doing in in vanilla GW2, and I always wanted to get into fractals but could never find a group for it. Raiding would be a dream for me with GW2s combat/class system (I really do love it), but yes I'm the type of MMO player who wants a reward for doing stuff. I'm not really looking for grinding out challenges or collections, no.

GW2's raids are fun and mostly well-designed, but the gear grind in them is basically non-existent. They don't reward any items with higher stats than what you can already make, barring some more exotic stat allocations, and the only real unique rewards from them are minis and weapon/armour skins.

It's just not that kind of gearscore game. The fights are fun though.

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.
IT'S ABOUT GODDAMN TIME ANET.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
Never Forget

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60TCwX11PVw

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Alright, so, thinking about getting back into this but don't know if I want to drop $50 on an expansion because I wasn't too totally excited about the base game. So, quick question before I buy.

I didn't grab HoT until I found a box copy for $20 at Walmart. You should probably try to find a similar deal.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
I would buy a box copy of SAB for $20 in a heartbeat.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/4cwnu4/datamining_upcoming_features_from_the_march_31/

Lonk fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 1, 2016

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Not sure why that would be for Aprils fools.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
April 1st patch note:

quote:

Fixed a bug that prevented players from entering Super Adventure Box on live servers.

ExHumus
Aug 30, 2006

BOOM BOOM!!

Yeah, it's not a joke, though. SAB is back!

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall

A Leeroy Jenkins joke in 2016. That's that patented anet humor we all know and love.

ahahahaha it's so funny how certain aspects of our game are really bad because we don't work on them ever! lmbo XD

check out my Youtube fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 1, 2016

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Someone didn't play enough GW1

Also would actually like to try out the scrapper and necro stuff, at least for a day

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

ExHumus posted:

Yeah, it's not a joke, though. SAB is back!

Oh, I'm aware. That implication that SAB was only closed due to a bug is just great. :)

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

All fine and masterwork gear now comes in blister packs. Blister packs must be triple-clicked to open and have a chance to inflict bleeding.

Ok that one got a chuckle out of me.

And I can't tell if the lack of druid in those jokey patch notes is some sort of joke or not.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Fractals
In order to streamline the experience of Fractals of the Mists, every fractal has been replaced with Swampland.
Removed all terrain and environment assets from the Mossman encounter. Players will now engage the Mossman in a featureless, gray, circular room, and this is why we can’t have nice things.
Fixed a bug that allowed ascended boxes to drop from fractal daily chests.

:v:

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Man, compared to WoW's and even Smite's fake patch notes these are rather low effort and kind of speaks to the state of the game as a whole. Not even any ranger jokes :(

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Rangers being ignored is fairly standard though.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
This just goes to show that Anet actually knows what is wrong with their game, specifically the changes they made just to piss me off personally, and is just too lazy and stupid to do anything.

Even the things that aren't in the notes that I imagined make me angry. I can't believe Anet would do this to me.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Leave it to Nilgoow to keep his hyperbole train going over april fools patch notes. :ughh:

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Alteisen posted:

Leave it to Nilgoow to keep his hyperbole train going over april fools patch notes. :ughh:

i'll knock the anti-psychotics right out yo mouf

HUG ME FOREVER
Dec 6, 2006

Gay for TF2! :love:

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Rangers being ignored is fairly standard though.

Yeah I understood that to be the joke itself.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
Thought they were good, they know whats wrong with the game atleast.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

HUG ME FOREVER posted:

Yeah I understood that to be the joke itself.

I didn't realize ranger was ignored. :sweatdrop:

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

I'm happy the notes have been relatively well-received, although I do wish we had done something in addition to the notes (discounting SAB, of course). We had a big ol' list of ideas internally and there are more than a few that were hysterical that didn't make the cut. But a few of mine did!

Baron Von Pigeon posted:

A Leeroy Jenkins joke in 2016. That's that patented anet humor we all know and love.

Like this one. :ssh:

Pseudoscorpion fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Apr 2, 2016

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

Visidan posted:

Thought they were good, they know whats wrong with the game atleast.
they didn't acknowledge the company as a whole in the notes though??

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.
Just bought and started playing GW2 yesterday, enjoying it so far, not sure what the status of the game is on the forums, I usually frequent the star citizen thread to dump on it so it would be a nice change of pace if this game was actually liked here.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I've deleted the game,

Same, very cathartic.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Goobs posted:

Just bought and started playing GW2 yesterday, enjoying it so far, not sure what the status of the game is on the forums, I usually frequent the star citizen thread to dump on it so it would be a nice change of pace if this game was actually liked here.

Goons whine and bitch and moan about absolutely everything, especially videogames they don't even play. GW2 is still good, don't worry. Especially if you're just starting, there's soooo much content for you to experience.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Goobs posted:

You are in the wrong place if that's what you're looking for. This is the Guild Wars 2 Shitposting Thunderdome.

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall

Goobs posted:

Yeah gw2 is pretty good and I like it. I complain about it constantly because it is my Satanic given right to do so and also under all of the bizarre and baffling design decisions there is still a good game with no sub fees.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

CLAM DOWN posted:

Goons whine and bitch and moan about absolutely everything, especially videogames they don't even play. GW2 is still good, don't worry. Especially if you're just starting, there's soooo much content for you to experience.

Yeah I'm having fun levelling, the game is still gorgeous and the sound/music is great. After reading up on anet and gw2 though I can see why people are upset about it, especially HoT. The recent decision to cancel legendary weapons must still sting a bit =/

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

Goobs posted:

Yeah I'm having fun levelling, the game is still gorgeous and the sound/music is great. After reading up on anet and gw2 though I can see why people are upset about it, especially HoT. The recent decision to cancel legendary weapons must still sting a bit =/

I've sunk way, way too many hours into this game to pretend it's not good. The problem is when you start running out of reasons to play and all you can do is deadpan stare at Arenanet for months straight while they talk about maybe releasing a thing, no promises. For now, though? Enjoy, it's great to just explore and putz around in for a good long while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Pesterchum posted:

I've sunk way, way too many hours into this game to pretend it's not good. The problem is when you start running out of reasons to play and all you can do is deadpan stare at Arenanet for months straight while they talk about maybe releasing a thing, no promises. For now, though? Enjoy, it's great to just explore and putz around in for a good long while.

Yeah WoW is like that for me right now, I'm not even sure i'll go back (To WoW) when the expansion hits. I like GW2's no sub and im hoping they shape up before the next expansion drops or else I don't think a lot of people will come back to it if they've taken a break.

• Locked thread