Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Antifreeze Head posted:

Apparently there are still eight or nine episodes to go this season? Have we met the group that is going to get genocided yet? Or will Clarke turn on her own people and demolish all of Arkadia with an apocalyptic killdozer?

She's going to genocide the hell out of the City of Light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I hope the show addresses the ridiculously short lifespan of the commanders. Titus said he served 4 commanders before(including?) Lexa and he doesn't look that old. The AI chip probably has a ton of stupid teens in it.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I hope the show addresses the ridiculously short lifespan of the commanders. Titus said he served 4 commanders before(including?) Lexa and he doesn't look that old. The AI chip probably has a ton of stupid teens in it.

Shorter then average lifespans? Though line of work? :shrug:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I imagine Commanders get murdered a lot.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Spergatory posted:

I imagine Commanders get murdered a lot.

By Titus! No wonder he has seen a few.

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

Pike just seems like a horribly written and forced antagonist. Wish they kept Chen around instead of the lame death he got in season 1. Would have been the perfect poo poo stirrer for an arc like this.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Who?

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.
Chen was the head of Security on the Ark who appeared to be an ally of Kane but was actually working for that lady who died in the Ark ship. Can't remember how he died but he was the guy who handed Bellamy the gun to shoot Jaha.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Robutt posted:

Chen was the head of Security on the Ark who appeared to be an ally of Kane but was actually working for that lady who died in the Ark ship. Can't remember how he died but he was the guy who handed Bellamy the gun to shoot Jaha.

He died from being stabbed by his commander lady for reasons I can't quite remember. BETRAYAL KILL.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Spergatory posted:

He died from being stabbed by his commander lady for reasons I can't quite remember. BETRAYAL KILL.

They were covering up who had set off the bomb on the Ark, he was a good patsy.

Joachim1167
Feb 24, 2014

Xoidanor posted:

Shorter then average lifespans? Though line of work? :shrug:

Side effect of the AI interaction?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I think a lot of my issue with the Pike storyline is that there doesn't seem to be a strong #2 for Pike, so I just keep wondering who would take over if Pike died.

I don't buy Monty's mom as a leader. It's not going to be some random soldier. It seems like Bellamy might have been the direct replacement even though he's never been good at being the #1 leader. But that would be good for the Kane faction as Bellamy could be a puppet. Ultimately it just feels like Kane is the only person who would want to step into the job.

Even though a majority of the unseen population somehow voted for Pike, would they really riot if Pike turned up dead one night? With the doctor in the Kane camp, it sure does seem like the smart thing would be to kill Pike and then have the doctor say, "Whelp, he died of a heart attack in his sleep.", and that would be the end of it. It's not like they are against killing Pike since they were willing to give him to Trikru.

I'm guessing that is what they are setting Bellamy up to do. He'll get his rear end kicked by Octavia for getting Lincoln killed and then get all pissed off at Pike for doing it. Then he'll come back and kill Pike and Kane will end up back in charge.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
the ratings last night were godawful, can't really blame that on basketball anymore

will be interesting to see what happens :munch:

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I quite enjoyed last nights episode - yeah its sad to see another cool character go but overall I'm now pretty happy with where each of the storylines seems to be heading.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Troposphere posted:

the ratings last night were godawful, can't really blame that on basketball anymore

You really hope this show is cancelled, don't you?

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Astroman posted:

You really hope this show is cancelled, don't you?

I wouldn't be sad about it. especially cause it'd free up Eliza Taylor to go on and do new things because I love her :swoon: and with the ratings it's getting I wouldn't blame the network for pulling it.

I'm also entertained by watching it go down in flames. maybelline pulled their sponsorship and I wouldn't be surprised if more sponsors followed. the gross way they killed Lincoln has pissed even more people off and it's all trending on Twitter constantly. I've never seen a series continuously shoot themselves in the foot like this and it's more fun than watching Pike do stupid poo poo and Bellamy cry because he's just so sad he keeps murdering people

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

its already been renewed for season 4

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

its already been renewed for season 4

yeah they renewed all their shows. if the backlash keeps up, the ratings stay as comically low as they have been and sponsors keep dropping out I wouldn't be surprised if next season was a short and final one

at least now we probably know what Isaiah Washington wrote a letter to the head of the network about. shooting one of the main black characters graphically execution style while he was chained up was super classy

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

Troposphere posted:

shooting one of the main black characters graphically execution style while he was chained up was super classy

Maybe I'm about to out myself as super unaware mega-racist and I should probably just keep my mouth shut but doesn't the outrage over Lincoln's death seem just a little nitpicky to you at all? I get it, people are rightfully angry about Lexa's death and about Rothenberg and want to see the show burn but with Lincoln, all the other characters that were slated to be executed would have died in the same manner had they not escaped. And he was shot by a black guy.

I dunno, maybe I'm dumb.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Robutt posted:

Maybe I'm about to out myself as super unaware mega-racist and I should probably just keep my mouth shut but doesn't the outrage over Lincoln's death seem just a little nitpicky to you at all? I get it, people are rightfully angry about Lexa's death and about Rothenberg and want to see the show burn but with Lincoln, all the other characters that were slated to be executed would have died in the same manner had they not escaped. And he was shot by a black guy.

I dunno, maybe I'm dumb.

it was pretty tone deaf and gratuitous in the context of the current political climate especially considering the behind the scenes bullying Ricky Whittle went through...which he says he's going to completely bring to light soon now that he's off the show which should be enlightening

also protect poc characters is trending on Twitter right now so you can always go see people's viewpoints on it there

Troposphere fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Apr 2, 2016

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Troposphere posted:

yeah they renewed all their shows. if the backlash keeps up, the ratings stay as comically low as they have been and sponsors keep dropping out I wouldn't be surprised if next season was a short and final one

at least now we probably know what Isaiah Washington wrote a letter to the head of the network about. shooting one of the main black characters graphically execution style while he was chained up was super classy

Good luck with your quest to be the change you want to see in discrimination in tv by hoping evil shitlords get their comeuppance.

I for one enjoy this show and will continue to enjoy it. This season has been great so far.

Troposphere posted:

it was pretty tone deaf and gratuitous in the context of the current political climate especially considering the behind the scenes bullying Ricky Whittle went through...which he says he's going to completely bring to light soon now that he's off the show which should be enlightening

also protect poc characters is trending on Twitter right now so you can always go see people's viewpoints on it there

You mean the current climate where black people are killing other black people? :v:

So if we protect all the poc and lgbt characters from death, only white males can die? Or can white women die in tv shows too?

Perhaps if we have a solid next decade where only white people die on tv, then we can get a good start in reversing centuries of systematic racism in media. :rolleyes:

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Astroman posted:

Good luck with your quest to be the change you want to see in discrimination in tv by hoping evil shitlords get their comeuppance.

I for one enjoy this show and will continue to enjoy it. This season has been great so far.

You mean the current climate where black people are killing other black people? :v:

So if we protect all the poc and lgbt characters from death, only white males can die? Or can white women die in tv shows too?

Perhaps if we have a solid next decade where only white people die on tv, then we can get a good start in reversing centuries of systematic racism in media. :rolleyes:

if you think people are saying only white men can die you are failing to grasp the point, congratulations

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

Troposphere posted:

I'm one of those backwards troglodytes who never got into Twitter so I'll take your word that the outrage is real and prevalent. I'm too uninformed/dumb to comment on it in the context of wider TV but the whole "protect poc/lgbt" characters things seems a little silly in the context of this specific show - a post-apocalyptic grimdark future where a genocide happens once (or twice!) a season and everyone roughly has a pretty equal chance of biting the dust.

I would definitely agree with tone deaf for Lincoln's death - the imagery certainly wasn't pleasant. All I meant to really say is that I felt, unlike Lexa's death, Lincoln's end was pretty true to the character and I'm not sure it's yet another example of the writers being incompetent bigots.

It will be really interesting to see what Whittle has to say about all this.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Lincoln's death wasn't supposed to be pleasant, or noble, or fair. It was, in story, a horrible end that the good guys will want to avenge. It's supposed to make you hate Pike and everything he stands for--which, btw, is racism, ignorance, and hate.

Troposphere posted:

if you think people are saying only white men can die you are failing to grasp the point, congratulations

Well what are they saying, when they rail against the deaths of minority characters, and get histrionic over every single one, and try to postulate that it's part of an overarching systemic plan to hurt said minorities? What does the hastag "protect poc" mean if not "protect poc characters from death"?

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
it's not about not ever killing minority characters, it's about recognizing harmful trends in media, calling them out and telling the networks it's not okay and people are tired of it, and hopefully inspiring show runners and writers to think more carefully about these issues in the future

Javier grillo-marxuach, the man who wrote the episode where lexa died, has been really great about this whole thing, has left the show and earned back the fanbase's trust and has promised to handle things differently as he takes the helm for the new Xena series. I think that's all that people really want.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Am I seeing things or did they leave all the Grounder bodies lying around outside the fences?

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Troposphere posted:

Can't wait to see you invent a new "controversy" every episode for as long as this show lasts :allears:

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Can't wait to see you invent a new "controversy" every episode for as long as this show lasts :allears:

yes I am the one inventing controversies and single handedly trending on Twitter worldwide and making the ratings go down. it was me, troposphere, the whole time. I am powerful.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Lincoln's death was horrible and John Wilkes Booth has a lot to answer for!

That Jerk Steve
Oct 18, 2011
can we please stop talking about twitter seriously? goddamn

Also, where can I find these ratings that went down? I want to compare the last few episodes.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Troposphere posted:

yes I am the one inventing controversies and single handedly trending on Twitter worldwide and making the ratings go down. it was me, troposphere, the whole time. I am powerful.

I didn't say you made them up, I said you're going to, because I don't think you'll be able to watch this show without finding something to bitch about

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

That Jerk Steve posted:

can we please stop talking about twitter seriously? goddamn

Also, where can I find these ratings that went down? I want to compare the last few episodes.

Ratings were up for the latest episode. Some people just want to keep the outrage train rolling.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Troposphere posted:

You are intolerable without all that, don't worry.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
The show got a 1.23 Thursday night, which is only slightly above the series low of 1.20 set by the previous episode and well below their pre-dead-lesbian series low of 1.32, with a 0.4 in the demographic.

I think there might be a problem here.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
lol, there are actually people who take Twitter seriously and think there are "Twitter controversies"? Sad!

Also can making GBS threads up a thread about a TV show with Twitter drama while there are new episodes be a bannable offense?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Spergatory posted:

The show got a 1.23 Thursday night, which is only slightly above the series low of 1.20 set by the previous episode and well below their pre-dead-lesbian series low of 1.32, with a 0.4 in the demographic.

I think there might be a problem here.

Yeah, it's not a very popular show which had a very poor start of its new season (the first couple of episodes was a honest to God clusterfuck) and seems to be pretty clearly deviating from the straightforward thesis of the previous seasons, expressed in its name, that sold it to the audiences. Personally I don't mind, but I think it's no wonder why the show isn't doing better.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

The main problem right now is Troposphere's tumblr/twitter demographic actually did turn out to be a sizeable number of the fanbase that the show not only catered to, but pandered directly to, which did end up turning into this shitstorm that's going on now. This is the kind of fanbase (CW, see Supernatural) that stalks married men and threatens their wives, and of course actively calls out for the cancellation of a show because their pet warrior princess gets offed. The lesson here should be, don't pander to crazies.

Still greatly enjoying this show even if the whole Arkadia plot is way too rushed and Pike is an unsympathetic, badly written villain and I just want it to be over so we can focus on the AI on AI battle that's being built up.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I would say the biggest problem with the season so far is the one-note, unsympathetic villains. Pike and now this ice nation night blood are introduced as the villain and not much more, it would have been really helpful to have that farm station flashback episode suggested earlier in the thread.

Looking back on it, what made season 2 so compelling was the character work that went into Dante, Cage and Mount Weather in general. Personally I ultimately did find them less sympathetic but all that character work made everything mean more and the whole situation much more tragic.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

They live in a tribal warrior society with no technology or advanced medicine where you kill your way to the top, and up until 3-4 months ago they were up against a rival society that did have technology and advanced medicine and targeted them specifically as lab rats.

What makes you think the leader in this situation is going to ever live a long, fruitful life?

Robutt posted:

Looking back on it, what made season 2 so compelling was the character work that went into Dante, Cage and Mount Weather in general. Personally I ultimately did find them less sympathetic but all that character work made everything mean more and the whole situation much more tragic.

Are you kidding, the bad guys in season 2 were way more cartoony and schizophrenic than anyone so far this season.

raditts fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Apr 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Robutt posted:

I would say the biggest problem with the season so far is the one-note, unsympathetic villains. Pike and now this ice nation night blood are introduced as the villain and not much more, it would have been really helpful to have that farm station flashback episode suggested earlier in the thread.

I see Pike portrayed as an out of touch leader who seriously believes that grounders are a problem and is trying to protect his people within the rules that he's known his entire life: the exodus charter, where punishment by death was a necessity to have enough food/oxygen for everyone else. I don't think he's been ever shown as a power hungry tyrant or corrupt or anything, he's just enforcing the rules. The execution scene even went out of the way to have him say that even though he can't free the grounder prisoners (because they are prisoners of war, and they are currently at war) he'd take care of them until a later time when the war is over and they can be handed off or whatever.

• Locked thread