Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Any suggestions of where I could learn practical information about mechanical components like gears? I took design of mechanical components in college and it was crazy technical and I learned almost nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

huhu posted:

Any suggestions of where I could learn practical information about mechanical components like gears? I took design of mechanical components in college and it was crazy technical and I learned almost nothing.

You could get one of those short Mechanical Engineering 101 books.

Obviously it will cover a lot more than gearing, but if you're looking for information on statics and dynamics, material strength, etc it might be helpful.

You may or may not want a calculus-based one, but for most things (like statics) you pretty much have to know basic trig.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

huhu posted:

You mean the math behind designing components or the design of power transmitting systems? If it's the latter, you're better off just building something.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
Mechanical Design of Machine Components by Ansel Ugural is a big overview of all kinds of components and what governs their designs. This is the book I'm familiar with, but any textbook on machine components should get you what you're looking for.

neibbo
Jul 18, 2003

Yes, mein Fuhrer... I mean.. Mr. President

huhu posted:

This is a great book about mechanical components that addresses the topic at a much lower level of technical detail than a college course but is still quite useful and interesting. I think it was originally created as a reference for US Navy sailors. Also quite cheap. One of the many books I wished I had read before studying mechanical engineering at university.

http://www.amazon.com/Basic-Machines-How-They-Work/dp/0486217094?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

neibbo posted:

This is a great book about mechanical components that addresses the topic at a much lower level of technical detail than a college course but is still quite useful and interesting. I think it was originally created as a reference for US Navy sailors. Also quite cheap. One of the many books I wished I had read before studying mechanical engineering at university.

http://www.amazon.com/Basic-Machines-How-They-Work/dp/0486217094?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

This looks like exactly what I want. Just ordered a copy.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
This is from freshman year but was really good.

http://store.elsevier.com/Introduction-to-Marine-Engineering/D-A-Taylor/isbn-9780750625302/

I think there was also one for aux. machinery that also covered components but that was 15 years ago.

I can't find it, I think Marine Aux. Machinery would cover it. It's all for a marine propulsion plant but that just means you get to cover every single piece of equipment to make a ship move and provide habitation.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 2, 2016

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Days like today keep me entertained. One of my clients wants to improve compliance for storing Class 4.2 hazardous materials. They must have something pretty serious stored in there, so it's an interesting diversion from my usual design work.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
4.2 is a catch all for stuff that can combust including oily rags and cotton, it's fairly common.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
4.2 covers solids that ignite on contact with air or is self heating. Stuff that spontaneously combusts if not handled correctly.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Sorry, poor description. It has a bunch of fun stuff but the majority of it isn't going to be all that big a deal is what I meant.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there a Spice-like circuit simulator for iPad?

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I met a few navy recruiters at a conference this past week who talked about a job as a Naval Reactor Engineer. Can anyone weigh in on this particular job? As far as I can tell it's the navy version of the NRC, but it seems like a weird sort of setup compared to the rest of the navy and I'd like more data. I suppose it's relevant that I'm finishing a master's in nuclear engineering, hopefully by the end of the summer. Assuming my thesis doesn't explode.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Apr 6, 2016

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Don't you have to go through ROTC to get into the military as a commissioned officer? How does that work if you're just going in as av recent graduate?

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

notZaar posted:

Don't you have to go through ROTC to get into the military as a commissioned officer? How does that work if you're just going in as av recent graduate?

Staff officers chosen specifically for their prior training, like engineers, doctors and lawyers, do a short officer training course before they assume their positions.

The Chairman fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Apr 6, 2016

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Olothreutes posted:

I met a few navy recruiters at a conference this past week who talked about a job as a Naval Reactor Engineer. Can anyone weigh in on this particular job? As far as I can tell it's the navy version of the NRC, but it seems like a weird sort of setup compared to the rest of the navy and I'd like more data. I suppose it's relevant that I'm finishing a master's in nuclear engineering, hopefully by the end of the summer. Assuming my thesis doesn't explode.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3283345

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

notZaar posted:

Anyone can go to Navy OCS with at least a bachelor's degree.

If you have a masters it doesn't make a lot of since to me to fall back to at least a few years of grunt work unless they're paying off your loans or something. I have a cousin who did the Nuke officer route and eventually got a PhD paid for, but he went in with a bs in aero

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

You would go to OCS and additional nuke training, not ROTC. It's a challenging, stressful, and demanding career path but there are some excellent benefits. You should post in GiP if you want more detail though.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

GiP is usually pretty good at turning away potential nukes. The ones that don't heed the warning live on as a warning to the rest.

Are you talking about trying to be a nuclear officer or working at Naval Reactors?

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there a Spice-like circuit simulator for iPad?

I haven't followed its development, but I was using iCircuit for a while and it was usable.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

KetTarma posted:

GiP is usually pretty good at turning away potential nukes. The ones that don't heed the warning live on as a warning to the rest.

Are you talking about trying to be a nuclear officer or working at Naval Reactors?

Naval Reactors Engineer, it's a support officer so I'd be permanently in Washington DC, barring a need to go on a sea trial or something like that. The other option they offered is becoming a power school/prototype instructor.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Olothreutes posted:

Naval Reactors Engineer, it's a support officer so I'd be permanently in Washington DC, barring a need to go on a sea trial or something like that. The other option they offered is becoming a power school/prototype instructor.

I cant tell you anything about being a NR engineer. In 9 years on nuclear ships, I never saw one.

I can tell you that the power school instructor is a dead end posting as you have to lateral transfer to another officer community to stay in past the initial tour. You go through power school to learn the Navy version (coloring book and crayon version) of teaching nuclear theory then turn back around and teach what you just learned back to 18 year old high school grads. The actual work is super easy. It's considered the easiest posting in the nuclear community. As a warning, Direct Input Limited Duty Officers as they're called are not considered actual "nukes" nor are they treated as officers as they're not really a normal community... Instead, they're called what the acronym spells out. Super cake posting as your only possible assignment comes at the cost of no one taking you seriously. If you wanted to do military-lite for 3 years, it's not a bad way to go. Also, Charleston is amazing. I would strongly consider doing this job if I didn't already have a good job.

Prototype instructor duty is a 7 day workweek with 2 days off. You come in for 9-10 hours for 7 days in a row on one shift then get between 1.5 and 4.0 days off. On each off day set, you rotate from 2nd shift to 3rd shift and back to 1st shift. The work environment is the control room of a 60 year old nuclear submarine. Temperatures are about 80 degrees in the control room, 100 degrees outside. You wear a button up and tie. I did this for 3 years as an enlisted instructor and can answer whatever questions you have. Upside: Lucrative pay. Downside: Rotating shiftwork on a brutal schedule+zero work-life balance. If they offered double my current pay to go back to what I was doing, I would not do this job.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad

Olothreutes posted:

Go for it. In my opinion, other than the NR program and its contractors the only other interesting nuclear work is terrapower.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

KetTarma posted:

I cant tell you anything about being a NR engineer. In 9 years on nuclear ships, I never saw one.

I can tell you that the power school instructor is a dead end posting as you have to lateral transfer to another officer community to stay in past the initial tour. You go through power school to learn the Navy version (coloring book and crayon version) of teaching nuclear theory then turn back around and teach what you just learned back to 18 year old high school grads. The actual work is super easy. It's considered the easiest posting in the nuclear community. As a warning, Direct Input Limited Duty Officers as they're called are not considered actual "nukes" nor are they treated as officers as they're not really a normal community... Instead, they're called what the acronym spells out. Super cake posting as your only possible assignment comes at the cost of no one taking you seriously. If you wanted to do military-lite for 3 years, it's not a bad way to go. Also, Charleston is amazing. I would strongly consider doing this job if I didn't already have a good job.

Prototype instructor duty is a 7 day workweek with 2 days off. You come in for 9-10 hours for 7 days in a row on one shift then get between 1.5 and 4.0 days off. On each off day set, you rotate from 2nd shift to 3rd shift and back to 1st shift. The work environment is the control room of a 60 year old nuclear submarine. Temperatures are about 80 degrees in the control room, 100 degrees outside. You wear a button up and tie. I did this for 3 years as an enlisted instructor and can answer whatever questions you have. Upside: Lucrative pay. Downside: Rotating shiftwork on a brutal schedule+zero work-life balance. If they offered double my current pay to go back to what I was doing, I would not do this job.

This is good to know. I live in the desert now and I want out of the heat. Prototype seems out, and I'd rather not end up being not a "real nuke" with a masters. I guess that leaves NR proper who are, to my knowledge, the naval NRC. NRE is much like the instructor position in that you have to lateral transfer out, there isn't a way up. That's one of the drawbacks, but I'm not sure that I'd really want to do more than that anyhow. Now I just have to figure out how much they'll actually pay me to do said job.

Hollis Brown posted:

Go for it. In my opinion, other than the NR program and its contractors the only other interesting nuclear work is terrapower.

If I thought for a second that I was getting a Terrapower job I'd show the navy my favorite finger as I walk into the sunset. I'm trying, but they're less thirsty than the navy is. NuScale would be neat, but Corvalis is basically nowhere, and after that you get into either weird fusion startups like General Fusion or the monsters like Westinghouse.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad

Olothreutes posted:

This is good to know. I live in the desert now and I want out of the heat. Prototype seems out, and I'd rather not end up being not a "real nuke" with a masters. I guess that leaves NR proper who are, to my knowledge, the naval NRC. NRE is much like the instructor position in that you have to lateral transfer out, there isn't a way up. That's one of the drawbacks, but I'm not sure that I'd really want to do more than that anyhow. Now I just have to figure out how much they'll actually pay me to do said job.

If I thought for a second that I was getting a Terrapower job I'd show the navy my favorite finger as I walk into the sunset. I'm trying, but they're less thirsty than the navy is. NuScale would be neat, but Corvalis is basically nowhere, and after that you get into either weird fusion startups like General Fusion or the monsters like Westinghouse.

There is also Bechtel marine propulsion corporation for the NR contractor jobs in upstate NY and Pittsburgh. I haven't looked recently but there should be opportunities.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

So I was reading up on the PE for shits and giggles, and saw they have some EE ones now that are not only about power-transmission and engineering. Was debating going to take it cold just to test my skills, and then decided to see if I could actually get my PE.

In WA state, I guess my BS counts for 4 years, and my MS counts for another year -- on top of that, I've got 6 years of full-time experience. It looks like though, I'm completely and utterly SOL if I do not have a single a PE at my company (which I don't), and I guess there's no way around that, is there? I'd like to freelance and do more consulting work and while I think my experience supports itself, having a PE couldn't hurt and the exam is pretty cheap.

I don't want to really "scam" the system, I just wish there was another way to prove I could do the work for my specific sub-field; if they offer the exam in that area, how the gently caress did the initial batch of embedded-systems / computer engineering PEs get licensed?

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
Just get the MEP engineer that designed the building's fire alarm to sign that for that. It meets the letter of the application.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

You'll need to ask your state board for advice on this. However, generally for fields like EE, where companies aren't required to have any PEs on staff, they'll give you some flexibility in who you name as your references. Some combination of your immediate engineering supervisors, PEs from outside firms who are familiar with your companies' work, and your staff engineer co-workers should be sufficient. You'll really want to thoroughly overdocument everything you've done, and have an explanation and a backup plan ready if the board initially rejects your slate.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Question for people who've obviously done this before: I just graduated with my degree in Mechanical Engineering. It's be heavily suggested that we take the FE exam as soon as possible (the Uni I went to also used to require it for graduation before being told that was super against ABED or something). How long should I take to study before taking the FE and what types of study materials should I use to prep including or instead of the book they push to use?

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
Take it as soon as possible. You want to take it while that broad spectrum of information is still fresh, since a vast majority will never be relevant again.
The only real study material you'll need is the book that is provided at test time, since it has every equation you'll need for the test. Knowing where everything is located in the book and being time efficient is key. Read through it, if you don't understand an equation or topic, then study up on them. Most of the people I talked to struggled the most with the economics/cost-analysis portion, since it wasn't a required course. Basic cost-analysis is quick and easy, but can be very tough if you've never used the equations or tables before, so make sure you're comfortable with that section. Don't psych yourself out, the test isn't as hard as many of the prep books make it out to be.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TheLastManStanding posted:

Take it as soon as possible. You want to take it while that broad spectrum of information is still fresh, since a vast majority will never be relevant again.
The only real study material you'll need is the book that is provided at test time, since it has every equation you'll need for the test. Knowing where everything is located in the book and being time efficient is key. Read through it, if you don't understand an equation or topic, then study up on them. Most of the people I talked to struggled the most with the economics/cost-analysis portion, since it wasn't a required course. Basic cost-analysis is quick and easy, but can be very tough if you've never used the equations or tables before, so make sure you're comfortable with that section. Don't psych yourself out, the test isn't as hard as many of the prep books make it out to be.

So take it asap and get an FE book before the test so I can know where everything is.

It's been a while (a year) since I did engineering econ with it largely done in excel so I'll keep that in mind. As far as difficulty, one of our professors showed us an example question which was literally just pick the option with the right units

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

huhu posted:

Audel Millwright & Mechanic's Guide 5th ed.

If you want to follow that up with a vast excess of specs for every single component that has ever been described by a dimensional standard anywhere on the face of the earth, Machinery's Handbook.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 30, 2016

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
Do you need an FE for design work at big defense companies?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
No, no one cares if you have an FE/EIT unless you will need a PE eventually. Which you will not at big defense companies, generally.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Xelkelvos posted:

So take it asap and get an FE book before the test so I can know where everything is.

It's been a while (a year) since I did engineering econ with it largely done in excel so I'll keep that in mind. As far as difficulty, one of our professors showed us an example question which was literally just pick the option with the right units
Some questions are like that. In my experience, I felt pretty drat sure I got about 40% of the answers correct, felt about 50/50 for about 30%, educated guesses for 15%, and completely random guesses for about 15%. Good enough to pass I guess.

What got me was spending time on economics as mentioned, and I'd actually taken a course that involved some basic calculation of interest. It's just something that's best fresh, not trying to remember ancient homework. The other thing that murdered me were the number of problems that relied on concepts I'd never studied before. I didn't take any classes that dealt with impact mechanics, so every time there was a bending beam question I was hosed. It felt like there were an inordinate number of questions on how much an impact could deflect beams and such.

That was just my weakness though. Try to figure out what general concepts you're weakest at and shore them up with the book as an aid. The FE didn't seem that hard to me, and I put literally no prep work into it. A little effort should guarantee success as long as you take it not long after graduating and actually legit passed your engineering curriculum.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

The Royal Scrub posted:

Do you need an FE for design work at big defense companies?

No. PEs are so rare in defense that I've had trouble finding signatures for my PE exam. If you're thinking of starting your own place or not staying in defense forever it might be valuable for you.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

antiga posted:

No. PEs are so rare in defense that I've had trouble finding signatures for my PE exam. If you're thinking of starting your own place or not staying in defense forever it might be valuable for you.

So is the "work under a PE for 5 years" thing used loosely?

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

The Royal Scrub posted:

So is the "work under a PE for 5 years" thing used loosely?

One of the state licensing guys that I talked to at a IEEE event said that for people in my situation (anyone in aerospace where PEs are unheard of), they usually just accept letters of recommendation from management. He said the most important thing was to document everything to make a strong case. He said I should keep a log that I regularly upload to some website on either my state licensing board's site or NCEES. Cant quite remember.

On that note, has anyone taken the EE/Power PE exam? I'm thinking of taking it in between 6 months and a year.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

KT just make an NCEES Record. It is the best way to keep everything up to date and if you get licensed in multiple states it is much easier to get everything filled out and taken care of.

On that note...don't get licensed in multiple states. it is very annoying. I have 4 license and it is a pain in the rear end to keep everything sorted.

For the FE question just get the equation book and a set of practice problems. You will be all set. My college had a 10 week review course that was free so I did that as well. I left that test and literally would have liked my score back because I think 100% was close to achievable, I studied too much.

For people who don't have PE's at their company, get in close with PE's through IEEE, ASCE, or whatever society you have. if you work with other consultants that have PE's hit them up as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

The NCEES Record is fantastic. It took me a while to compile all the documentation and another month or so for them to process it, but once I got it, I've gotten two additional state licenses (MO and AL) with a turnaround of under a week.