Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Dmitri Russkie posted:

Avatar - I heard this is like Dances with Wolves.

This is the only movie I've seen on your list, plus I'm curious how it comes across years removed from the pre-release hype. Go for it!

I just watched Akira. Loved the theme of simultaneous creation and destruction from the characters with powers and how it contrasted with the blunt destruction of the military. The fact that the movie opens with annihilation reminiscent of a nuclear bomb and text about World War III from a movie made during the Cold War, despite its being set/made in a country not in the epicenter of it, makes it simultaneously about recovery after the devastation of WWII and the looming threat of similar devastation from within. There's also a lot of criticism of government overreach and oppression with the student protests, counter-regime insurgency, and complete ineffectiveness of a military that nevertheless flexes its muscles constantly.

As for the visuals, I really liked the animation style. Obviously it's anime, but for the most part the animation feels more grounded than the stereotypical flashing lights and jerky movements (though both of those are occasionally present). The city and monster designs are impressive.

Finally, the score was cool. Some of the large-scale conflict scenes' tone changed drastically because they had kinda driving techno music behind them rather than a broad orchestral score, which is what you often hear in those kinds of scenes.

Updated list!

1. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (either one I guess earlier in the thread I said I'd watch both if someone picked it, so this is a twofer!) - a classic that I haven't gotten around to, even though I've referenced the pointing at someone and screaming scene at least once in my life. I think this'll be my horror slot (if Body Snatchers counts as horror? It seems like it would.) :siren: LIST VETERAN! :siren:

2. Lolita - replacing Eyes Wide Shut with another missing Kubrick!

3. La Grande Bellezza - more Italian cinema, this one obviously more recent. I meant to see it when it was out in Germany last year but never managed to.

4. Aguirre, The Wrath of God I love what Herzog I've seen (just Grizzly Man and Rescue Dawn so far) but I know I'm missing essential poo poo. This is one example.

5. Battleship Potemkin - I'm a trash person who hasn't seen this.

6. Come and See - HUNDU THE BEAST GOD told me to.

7. The Maltese Falcon - missing classic, not much of an anecdote here.

8. Nashville - :siren: NEW! :siren: there's been some borderline hyperbolic talk about this one in GenChat lately, plus I've never seen an Altman film despite hearing about his influence all over the place.

9. City Lights - I've only seen scattered bits of Chaplin.

10. Wag the Dog - my girlfriend recommended this to me so let's get to it!

Already watched:
A Nightmare on Elm Street, Upstream Color, The King of Comedy, Ikiru, Grease, Barton Fink, La Strada, Punch-Drunk Love, Magnolia, Hard Eight, The Night of the Hunter, Miller's Crossing, Shane, Bringing Out the Dead, Eyes Wide Shut, Stalker, Akira

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!
Mahlertov Cocktail, glad that my last pick for you seems to have gone down well, watch The Maltese Falcon, a classic that this thread also unshamed me of.

Dmitri Russkie gave me Taken.

Going into Taken I knew a little from what pop culture (and seemingly everyone else already seeing it) had told me about this film - Liam Neeson plays a former American Special Forces / Secret Agent whose daughter gets kidnapped while in Paris and Neeson, because he has some special skills, goes to hunt down the baddies that have "taken" his kid. And that was correct. That's all there is to it. And thankfully that's all there is to it, there's very little setup and it gets going pretty quickly. What little scenes there are before the action begins are fairly brief and really blatantly put out the backstory and characters.

Oh but also: shitloads of racism! One of the main reasons I'd never bothered to watch this was the plot sounded like some kind of racist power fantasy story, a white American girl gets kidnapped by evil foreigners and Western ubermench stops and kills them all single handedly. and that is indeed the premise but the evil foreigners are specifically Albanian! I'd always wondered about them being generic Europeans since this film is a French production but them being a specific group of immigrants is indeed the racism you would expect from a dumb action movie. Oh and some generic Arabic bad guys too!

But apart from the overall dumbness and racism... it's a quick little action movie and Neeson makes a very good action hero here, despite his weird accent (which watching it now is frequently his performance as Bad Cop from the great Lego Movie) he goes through the motions but doesn't ham it up and except for the ridiculous premise and secret agent stuff, the action is pretty grounded.

List of Shame:

1 - Achilles and the Tortoise - final film of Kitano's 'surrealist autobiographical trilogy'... [Catching up with Kitano 2/4] (over a year on this list)

2 - Silence - Long intrigued by this film, now I need to catch it before the Scorsese version comes out next this year...

3 - In America - It was talked about a lot on its release but not heard much about this since, word was it was good. [Irish Film Slot]

4 - The Great Yokai War - Takeshi Miike does a kids film, one I've long intended to catch.

5 - Starman - Another notable John Carpenter film, yet to see one of his early films I didn't really like.

6 - Citizenfour - An interesting subject and Chili spoke highly of it earlier in the thread. [Documentary Slot]

7 - Dancer in the Dark - I started watching this years back but the rented DVD was broke, apparently a tough watch so haven't rushed back.

8 - Mad Max 2 - Assumed I'd watched this when young but its good reviews in this thread suggest it's worth seeing for definite.

9 - Annie Hall - I don't think I've ever seen a Woody Allen film, unless Antz counts? This is apparently a good place to start.

10- The Tale of Princess Kaguya - new - Again catching up with Studio Ghibli, this comes highly rated.

Shame No More: [79] [top ten] Psycho | The Third Man | The Long Goodbye | Harakiri | The Silence of the Lambs | Pi | Jaws | Panic Room | Black Swan | Star Trek II | The Brothers Bloom | Hugo | Badlands | Shame | LA Confidential | The Right Stuff | The Evil Dead | Hanna | The Master | The Untouchables | Glengarry Glen Ross | The Seventh Seal | The Apartment | The Player | Ronin | The Grand Budapest Hotel | Glory to the Filmmaker! | Frank | Dreams | Paths of Glory | Assault on Precinct 13 | Haywire | Escape From New York | 13 Assassins | A Prophet | Stand By Me | Blackfish | Pumping Iron | The Thin Blue Line | It's A Wonderful Life | What Richard Did | The Bicycle Thieves | Youth of the Beast | Once Upon A Time In The West | The Raid: Redemption | The Babadook | Calvary | The Host | Samurai Rebellion | Poltergeist | Days of Heaven | The Room | Nightcrawler | Cars 2 | Enter the Dragon | Stalker | Casablanca | M | The Maltese Falcon | The Secret World of Arrietty | Bad Lieutenant | Blazing Saddles | Mad Max: Fury Road | From Up On Poppy Hill | In The Heat Of The Night | Noah | The Wind Rises | The Exorcist | An American Werewolf in London | The Fog | The Graduate | The Black Power Mixtape 1967-1975 | The Killing | La Dolce Vita | Scarface | Gone Girl | The Sting | Rope | Taken

GMEEOORH
Mar 12, 2012

Chewy Bitems posted:

6 - Citizenfour
Just watched this today. Interesting doc about a pretty vital subject.

I really enjoyed The Night of The Hunter. Robert Mitchum's fantastic as a demented preacher and the film is full of amazing shots. Pretty unbelievable that it was made in 1955.

Throne of Blood - Really like the other Kurosawas I've seen, especially Ran. So another Shakespeare adaptation seems like a good idea.

Man with a Movie Camera - Often shows up on lists of great films and everything about how it was made and how that's incorporated into the film sounds really interesting.

American Psycho - Thought the book was great. Movie's supposed to be real good too, if a bit different.

Thief - Other Mann movies I've seen were good, need to watch this one.

Nightcrawler - Didn't manage to see this in the cinema last year, but everything about it seems extremely my poo poo.

Chungking Express - I've only seen ''in the mood for love'' from Wong and I should change that.

F for Fake - Saw an EFAP video a while ago that made this look interesting.

Strange Days - Picked this up at a thrift store a year or so back and I've been close to watching it about a dozen times.

Spider - Went to a big Cronenberg exhibition last year and I've slowly been going through all his films. This one is next.

Elephant - I wonder what the chances are that this will be tragically relevant due to current events when it gets picked.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

GMEEOORH posted:

F for Fake - Saw an EFAP video a while ago that made this look interesting.

Try this next.

Chewy Bitems posted:

(also is House on your list the 1977 Japanese film... or the 1986 American one?)

I'm almost sure 1977. It gets mentioned way more frequently around here than the 1986 film (and its sequels).

The Bad Sleep Well - A cynical look at the neverending corporate corruption that's in every country and every time. The revenge aspect of the story shared a few parallels with The Punisher (2004).

It was also a little different in that a lot of the typical high points/conflicts in a film were skipped over and the characters were left to talk about the aftermath.

Way too much exposition for my tastes. There was so much that I felt like I was listening to an old time radio program rather than a film at times.

Also watched:

Woman in the Dunes - Digging Sand: The Movie.

This one left a stronger impression with its memorable setting. The premise felt like something right out of an episode from The Twilight Zone. An entomologist (bug studier) away from home is tricked into a going into a sand pit and becomes trapped like a bug himself. He and his newfound girlfriend must remove sand continuously so that the village is not overtaken by sand.

The predicament, the strained relationship with the woman and the ultimate fate of our bug studier was a fresh experience.

Procrastination (207 completed):

#202 Gangs of Wasseypur - Part 1 - This one keeps jumping on and off the IMDb 250. 11/5/15

#204 Manila in the Claws of Light - Heard this was good. 12/8/15

#208 Queen - IMDb CCL. 1/14/16

#209 The Hour of the Furnaces AKA La hora de los hornos - There are around a dozen films I've recommended ITT to someone that I haven't seen. This is one of them. 2/4/16

new #212 Strange Days - I'm reminded that I should see this. It's been on my watch list for only ~15 years. I remember reading a synopsis/summary and thinking I'd like to see it at some point. 3/9/16

James Bond versus Godzilla:

Golden Raspberry Award for Worst Picture (24/39 completed):

new 2015 Fifty Shades of Grey - This award ended in a tie this year. This must be a contentious one. 3/9/16

2015 Fantastic Four - I don't believe this has many fans. 3/2/16

1993 Indecent Proposal - A rich man offers your wife $1,000,000 American dollars for a one night tryst. What do you do? 10/9/15

1992 Shining Through - Something about WWII. 11/30/15

1990 Ghosts Can't Do It - Can't do what? 2/24/16

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!
Zogo - I'll go with the only one on your llist I've seen and worth a watch too - Strange Days, 15 years is a nice amount of time for an unshaming.

GMEEOORH gave me Citizenfour.

Which was very interestest and a very well made documentary. I had chosen added this to my list both for its importance and because I wanted to know more about this overall situation. But what this film is instead is an inside look at how Edward Snowden released the information he had. The film's director, Laura Poitras, is an integral, though unseen, part of the process - she exists in voiceover and in chat transcripts that play out onscreen but it is through her eyes that we see Mr Snowden's encounters with journalists, and it by her hands that this entire process happened. An intriguing film but perhaps you won't learn much if you paid much attention to this story when it broke, other than the occasionally shocking piece which you might have forgotten/not heard first time around. But the film isn't trying to be a detailed overview of the NSA, America's legislation regarding spying on its own citizens, drone strikes, or any other aspect of this story - but many of those details are here and they come directly from the source that made the story public, and in that it is very captivating to watch. Quite eager to see some more of Poitras' work.

List of Shame: (from oldest on list to newest)

1 - Achilles and the Tortoise - final film of Kitano's 'surrealist autobiographical trilogy'... [Catching up with Kitano 2/4] (over a year on this list)

2 - Silence - Long intrigued by this film, now I need to catch it before the Scorsese version comes out next this year...

3 - In America - It was talked about a lot on its release but not heard much about this since, word was it was good. [Irish Film Slot]

4 - The Great Yokai War - Takeshi Miike does a kids film, one I've long intended to catch.

5 - Starman - Another notable John Carpenter film, yet to see one of his early films I didn't really like.

6 - Dancer in the Dark - I started watching this years back but the rented DVD was broke, apparently a tough watch so haven't rushed back.

7 - Mad Max 2 - Assumed I'd watched this when young but its good reviews in this thread suggest it's worth seeing for definite.

8 - Annie Hall - I don't think I've ever seen a Woody Allen film, unless Antz counts? This is apparently a good place to start.

9 - The Tale of Princess Kaguya - Again catching up with Studio Ghibli, this comes highly rated.

10- Amy - new - A quite recent release but one I'm keen to catch. [Documentary Slot]

Shame No More: [80] [top ten] Psycho | The Third Man | The Long Goodbye | Harakiri | The Silence of the Lambs | Pi | Jaws | Panic Room | Black Swan | Star Trek II | The Brothers Bloom | Hugo | Badlands | Shame | LA Confidential | The Right Stuff | The Evil Dead | Hanna | The Master | The Untouchables | Glengarry Glen Ross | The Seventh Seal | The Apartment | The Player | Ronin | The Grand Budapest Hotel | Glory to the Filmmaker! | Frank | Dreams | Paths of Glory | Assault on Precinct 13 | Haywire | Escape From New York | 13 Assassins | A Prophet | Stand By Me | Blackfish | Pumping Iron | The Thin Blue Line | It's A Wonderful Life | What Richard Did | The Bicycle Thieves | Youth of the Beast | Once Upon A Time In The West | The Raid: Redemption | The Babadook | Calvary | The Host | Samurai Rebellion | Poltergeist | Days of Heaven | The Room | Nightcrawler | Cars 2 | Enter the Dragon | Stalker | Casablanca | M | The Maltese Falcon | The Secret World of Arrietty | Bad Lieutenant | Blazing Saddles | Mad Max: Fury Road | From Up On Poppy Hill | In The Heat Of The Night | Noah | The Wind Rises | The Exorcist | An American Werewolf in London | The Fog | The Graduate | The Black Power Mixtape 1967-1975 | The Killing | La Dolce Vita | Scarface | Gone Girl | The Sting | Rope | Taken | Citizenfour

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Chewy, glad you enjoyed Rope, now let's go with a real classic: Annie Hall. I'm not a big fan of Allen, but this is quite good.

Witness for the prosecution: This was okay. I was expecting it to be mind blowing, based on the praise it gets. Certainly not as good as the rest of Wilder's movies. I disagree with Marlene Dietrich's method of acting where shouting=good. The main character was good. The plot twists were fun. But I just wasn't that engaged.

Shadow of a Doubt (1943)- Haven't seen a Hitchcock in a long time

Through a Glass Darkly- Same with Bergman, I've even had time to actually learn swedish since I last saw one of his films

Donnie Darko- I should probably watch this one at some point.

Wages of fear- One of the greats apparently?

Ordet-Sounds good I guess.

Dersu Uzala-The best Kurosawa I've yet to see. Based on amount of lists it is on in Icheckmovies, not the best metric I know.

House (japanese movie)-I think I bought this DVD a few years ago because of all the CineD buzz. Make me watch it.

Cars-Let's keep the Pixar train (car??) going. Maybe this is the worst Pixar movie? (4 to go)

[b]Barry Lyndon[/b: I haven't seen a 3 hour long movie in a long while, make me do it!

Seen so far: Life is beautiful, Brave, Witness for the prosecution

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Mr. Nemo posted:

Donnie Darko- I should probably watch this one at some point.

Try this one next.

Strange Days - Whoa. I'd heard this was good but I was still surprised. It's a cyberpunk/noir and one of the many precursors leading up to the Matrix.

Throughout the movie there's a perpetual riot going on. It's the dawn of Y2K and the world is full of wireheads (people who experience others realities through Sony MiniDiscs). Not too dissimilar from our iPhone/Youtube/Internet world of today. These experienced realities play a major part of the films aesthetic.

Lots of references/connections to films like:
The 6th Day, Total Recall, Avatar, Die Hard, Minority Report and Sex, Lies, and Videotape.
But it's completely its own film with two stories for the price of one.

This could've been a radio single in 1995:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKnlo7sLfa0

-Ralph Fiennes plays a good jealous ex-boyfriend.

-MiniDiscs are all over this film. It was a 90s technology that never gained much popularity.

-James Cameron/Kathryn Bigelow tapped into police suspicion a lot in their films and it's the same thing here. Definitely like Hitchcock was doing decades earlier.

Also watched:

Fifty Shades of Grey - A hotshot billionaire businessman of some sort finds his newest infatuation. We get an inside look at a repetitively long extended date between a robotic stalker and his sex slave. At times (helicopter/plane rides) Anastasia is mesmerized by magnate Christian Grey but is ultimately turned off by his increasingly violent sexual appetite.

Astoundingly bareboned and clinical for the subject matter. The film makes sex bland and alien. Then throw in a few odd legalese scenes about their sordid sex contracts.

It obviously has its fan but I found it unappealing and dysfunctional. Besides the two leads the whole rest of the cast felt pointless. The ending was an open-ended thud so I I'm sure there are another two coming.

Procrastination (208 completed):

#202 Gangs of Wasseypur - Part 1 - This one keeps jumping on and off the IMDb 250. 11/5/15

#204 Manila in the Claws of Light - Heard this was good. 12/8/15

#208 Queen - IMDb CCL. 1/14/16

#209 The Hour of the Furnaces AKA La hora de los hornos - There are around a dozen films I've recommended ITT to someone that I haven't seen. This is one of them. 2/4/16

new #213 Dersu Uzala - Something about a hunter. 3/16/16

James Bond versus Godzilla:

new Ebirah, Horror of the Deep - Godzilla wants Red Lobster for dinner. 3/16/16

Golden Raspberry Award for Worst Picture (25/39 completed):

2015 Fantastic Four - I don't believe this has many fans. 3/2/16

1993 Indecent Proposal - A rich man offers your wife $1,000,000 American dollars for a one night tryst. What do you do? 10/9/15

1992 Shining Through - Something about WWII. 11/30/15

1990 Ghosts Can't Do It - Can't do what? 2/24/16

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Zogo posted:

Try this one next.

Strange Days - Whoa. I'd heard this was good but I was still surprised. It's a cyberpunk/noir and one of the many precursors leading up to the Matrix.

Throughout the movie there's a perpetual riot going on. It's the dawn of Y2K and the world is full of wireheads (people who experience others realities through Sony MiniDiscs). Not too dissimilar from our iPhone/Youtube/Internet world of today. These experienced realities play a major part of the films aesthetic.

Lots of references/connections to films like:
The 6th Day, Total Recall, Avatar, Die Hard, Minority Report and Sex, Lies, and Videotape.
But it's completely its own film with two stories for the price of one.

This could've been a radio single in 1995:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKnlo7sLfa0

-Ralph Fiennes plays a good jealous ex-boyfriend.

-MiniDiscs are all over this film. It was a 90s technology that never gained much popularity.

-James Cameron/Kathryn Bigelow tapped into police suspicion a lot in their films and it's the same thing here. Definitely like Hitchcock was doing decades earlier.

Strange Days has my favorite screen kiss of all time (though obviously I have plenty of vast holes in my film experience). It's not the kiss itself (which is kind of lousy) but the buildup.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/9751832/strange_days_1995_the_end_scene_fall_in_the_light_celebration/

Graham Revell's music is gorgeous here, too.

Wizchine fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 16, 2016

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I haven't seen any of yours, Zogo, so I'll give you the one that's been on your list longest, which looks to be Indecent Proposal.

I was given Adaptation. While flawed, I enjoyed this one. The script is really clever, and combined with the unusual direction of Spike Jonze, does a good job of intertwining reality, fiction, different times, and different stories into a coherent, thought-provoking whole. It could have been a real drag, but the script also has a good sense of humor, especially with Donald Kaufman's goofy cliched script ideas. Speaking of Donald, I have to recognize the acting, especially Nicolas Cage, because his turn as both Kaufmans is fantastic. He manages to play twins so they are similar in the way brothers tend to be, while also doing each different enough so you never mistake who is who. The film has a really nice flow to it so it never bogs down in super-heady metafictional concepts. The major gripe I have is with the general idea of a self-deprecating screenplay that helps the author become a better person. For as much mockery as the film gives cliched story ideas, it still openly acknowledges its self-indulgent nature, which makes it more self-indulgent. Still, I liked this one overall.

My list (sorted by time on my list, with longest at the top):

1) The Game - I really like David Fincher's stuff, let's see how his follow-up to Se7en is

2) A Zed & Two Noughts - The only Greenaway I've seen is the excellent The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover, and this one comes highly recommended

3) Under The Skin - ScarJo is something something sci-fi/horror? CineD raves about it, so I might as well watch it.

4) Tremors - the horror comedy classic, with a side of Bacon

5) High Plains Drifter - More westerns, with the first Eastwood directed. Just jealous it's the Beastie Boys.

NEW 6) Nashville - Nonsense... this is an election year.

Unshamed: Royal Tenenbaums, 8 1/2, Crimes & Misdemeanors, Pan's Labyrinth, Schindler's List, The Holy Mountain, Boogie Nights, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, The Exorcist, Days of Heaven, Inland Empire, The Hidden Fortress, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Naked Lunch, The Seventh Seal, Manhunter, Lolita, The Last Temptation of Christ, Sunset Boulevard, Once Upon a Time in the West, Suspiria, North by Northwest, Alien3, Badlands, Stagecoach, The Manchurian Candidate, L.A. Confidential, My Darling Clementine, Bringing Out the Dead, Starman, The Rules of the Game, Frankenstein, Malcolm X, Zardoz, Antichrist, The Sound of Music, Thief, Prisoners, Paris Texas, The Descent, El Topo, Adaptation

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!
X-Ray Pecs go with The Game, doesn't get talked about that much but definitely solid Fincher.

Mr. Nemo gave me the classic Annie Hall.

Which was really great. I was always reluctant to watch a Woody Allen film (appropriately shameful behaviour) as I always assumed they would be somewhat silly comedies about self absorbed people. Which this basically was but that wasn't a bad thing. Just cause you accurately judge a book by its cover doesn't mean that is a negative. The film was actually funny at various different parts and would have been funnier if many of the jokes hadn't been ripped off/paid homage by later stuff and the relationship drama was interesting and quite deep considering this film leaps all over the shop. The direction was really brilliant and interesting, the camerawork and editing isn't particularly flashy but what is done is just fantastic constantly changing to suit the film and to provide comedy.

I'll come back to this film as it's still very fresh in my head and I'm kinda too impressed by the filmmaking to really get through to the depth of what the film is saying about its subject matter - beyond what it explicitly states - the film feels almost slight as it's playing for comedy rather than melodrama but there's depth and heart to the characters.

The more I think about it the better this film becomes, totally understand why it's regarded so highly.

List of Shame:

6 - Dancer in the Dark - I started watching this years back but the rented DVD was broke, apparently a tough watch so haven't rushed back.

7 - Mad Max 2 - Assumed I'd watched this when young but its good reviews in this thread suggest it's worth seeing for definite.

8 - The Tale of Princess Kaguya - Again catching up with Studio Ghibli, this comes highly rated.

9 - Amy - A quite recent release but one I'm keen to catch. [Documentary Slot]

10- The Wanderers - new - One of those films that gets mentioned often enough but don't know much about, something about a gang?

Shame No More: [81] [top ten] Psycho | The Third Man | The Long Goodbye | Harakiri | The Silence of the Lambs | Pi | Jaws | Panic Room | Black Swan | Star Trek II | The Brothers Bloom | Hugo | Badlands | Shame | LA Confidential | The Right Stuff | The Evil Dead | Hanna | The Master | The Untouchables | Glengarry Glen Ross | The Seventh Seal | The Apartment | The Player | Ronin | The Grand Budapest Hotel | Glory to the Filmmaker! | Frank | Dreams | Paths of Glory | Assault on Precinct 13 | Haywire | Escape From New York | 13 Assassins | A Prophet | Stand By Me | Blackfish | Pumping Iron | The Thin Blue Line | It's A Wonderful Life | What Richard Did | The Bicycle Thieves | Youth of the Beast | Once Upon A Time In The West | The Raid: Redemption | The Babadook | Calvary | The Host | Samurai Rebellion | Poltergeist | Days of Heaven | The Room | Nightcrawler | Cars 2 | Enter the Dragon | Stalker | Casablanca | M | The Maltese Falcon | The Secret World of Arrietty | Bad Lieutenant | Blazing Saddles | Mad Max: Fury Road | From Up On Poppy Hill | In The Heat Of The Night | Noah | The Wind Rises | The Exorcist | An American Werewolf in London | The Fog | The Graduate | The Black Power Mixtape 1967-1975 | The Killing | La Dolce Vita | Scarface | Gone Girl | The Sting | Rope | Taken | Citizenfour | Annie Hall

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Chewy Bitems posted:

You gotta watch this one

I don't feel shame about watching movies, so these are just some movies I got for super cheap at a used movie sale

Deadball - I got it for cheap at a used movies sale

Jonah Hex - I got it for cheap at a used movies sale

Cop Land - I got it for cheap at a used movies sale

End of watch - I got it for cheap at a used movies sale

The Birds - I got it for cheap at a used movies sale

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Pfft, that's no fun.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Chili posted:

Pfft, that's no fun.

You should watch the Informant, it's real good

Cakebaker
Jul 23, 2007
Wanna buy some cake?
boomx3, watch End of Watch. Everyone here loves it.

-----

Ok so I've finally watched Rocky. Never realized just how modest the first one was. Doesn't exactly feel like one of the classics of cinema, but it doesn't really have to. It's just really well made, small-scale movie about a guy dealing with everyday problems. A good movie to watch when feeling down.

Like I said, I haven't seen any of the others, but I almost feel like leaving it at this, because it really suits the story to end it there.

Cakebaker posted:

The Wild Bunch - I'll keep this as a western slot.

La Dolce Vita - Saw 8½ and I can't say I really enjoyed it, but I should probably give Fellini another chance.

2046 - Might as well follow up In the Mood for Love with this one.

Cries and Whispers - Haven't seen a bad Bergman yet.

Tetsuo: The Iron Man - I have a note on my desk saying I should see this. Is the note correct?

Contempt - Loved Breathless.

The Conformist - Looks beautiful from what I've seen.

Andrei Rublev - Maybe I should watch som Tarkovsky?

Raging Bull - Saw Rocky, might as well keep going with the boxing.

Tokyo Story - Only one in TSPDT top 10 I haven't seen.

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!
Cakebaker, I'm glad you seem to have liked Rocky, I guess with that out of the way, this time I will give you Tetsuo: The Iron Man - good luck!

boom boom boom was kinda missing the point of this thread (it's not about feeling shame watching a film, it's about feeling shame that you've yet to see films), butgave me Takashi Miike's The Great Yokai War.

I remember watching a trailer for this film when it was released in Japan (back in 2005!) thinking that a kid's film made by Takashi Miike (him of such family friendly films as Ichi the Killer and Visitor Q) would be an interesting spectale, as his films always are, even if they're not the best. But thankfully this is a decent quite enjoyable film.

The story of a young boy that gets chosen to be a token protector figure during a village festival and then when a vengeful force starts causing problems, various ghouls, goblins, and sprites of Japanese folklore (the Yokai of the title) seek the boy's help to overcome evil and save the day. Which is all standard kid's movie stuff, much less kid's movie stuff is the elements that Miike helps bring to this film - the opening scene features a newborn calf with a human face which states that a war is coming before dropping dead - I imagine that would scare the poo poo out of kids and brilliantly so - I'm a big fan of kid's films being a bit scary, there's nothing wrong with that and I imagine there's plenty of Japanese teenagers today that recall getting freaked out by this flim in a few spots.

The film is 2 hours long but moves along at a decent enough pace, there's a mix of scary scenes, action, and a little comedy (which generally falls flat but not to the point where it's offensively bad). The main negative I have for the flim is the CGI - the various Yokai are mostly all played by actors in makeup or puppets with some small bits of CGI to show powers etc. - but there are large mechanical monsters that pop up throughout the film, as well as fully CGI locations, that look hideously dated and would've done so when the film was released as they wouldn't look out of place in a PlayStation game from the mid-late 90s (some of it looks like the pre-rendered backgrounds you'd see in Final Fantsy VII).

List of Shame (from oldest to newest):

4 - Starman - Another notable John Carpenter film, yet to see one of his early films I didn't really like.

5 - Dancer in the Dark - I started watching this years back but the rented DVD was broke, apparently a tough watch so haven't rushed back.

6 - Mad Max 2 - Assumed I'd watched this when young but its good reviews in this thread suggest it's worth seeing for definite.

7 - The Tale of Princess Kaguya - Again catching up with Studio Ghibli, this comes highly rated.

8 - Amy - A quite recent release but one I'm keen to catch. [Documentary Slot]

9 - The Wanderers - One of those films that gets mentioned often enough but don't know much about, something about a gang?

10- Kotoko - new - Always interested in Shinya Tsukamoto's films, I've a few to catch up on, this seems interesting.

Shame No More: [82] [top ten] Psycho | The Third Man | The Long Goodbye | Harakiri | The Silence of the Lambs | Pi | Jaws | Panic Room | Black Swan | Star Trek II | The Brothers Bloom | Hugo | Badlands | Shame | LA Confidential | The Right Stuff | The Evil Dead | Hanna | The Master | The Untouchables | Glengarry Glen Ross | The Seventh Seal | The Apartment | The Player | Ronin | The Grand Budapest Hotel | Glory to the Filmmaker! | Frank | Dreams | Paths of Glory | Assault on Precinct 13 | Haywire | Escape From New York | 13 Assassins | A Prophet | Stand By Me | Blackfish | Pumping Iron | The Thin Blue Line | It's A Wonderful Life | What Richard Did | The Bicycle Thieves | Youth of the Beast | Once Upon A Time In The West | The Raid: Redemption | The Babadook | Calvary | The Host | Samurai Rebellion | Poltergeist | Days of Heaven | The Room | Nightcrawler | Cars 2 | Enter the Dragon | Stalker | Casablanca | M | The Maltese Falcon | The Secret World of Arrietty | Bad Lieutenant | Blazing Saddles | Mad Max: Fury Road | From Up On Poppy Hill | In The Heat Of The Night | Noah | The Wind Rises | The Exorcist | An American Werewolf in London | The Fog | The Graduate | The Black Power Mixtape 1967-1975 | The Killing | La Dolce Vita | Scarface | Gone Girl | The Sting | Rope | Taken | Citizenfour | Annie Hall | The Great Yokai War

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Ok tonight I watched End of Watch. It Starts out as a found footage movie, but almost immediately starts including shots that are impossible in universe. And not just in the "he wouldn't hold the camera out like that for that long" or "that camera couldn't take footage that nice" way all Found footage movies do. And it's not like, found footage segments then regular segments like District 9 or whatever. It changes from shot to shot. And it constantly draws attention to it. There's a s driveby shooting where two of the people in the car are filming, that hits a random conversation where two of the people are filming, and there's still shots that aren't from any of those cameras. They crammed four goddamn cameras in to a scene where there's no real reason to have that many cameras, and it's still not enough cameras. Towards the end it finally completely drops the found footage stuff, and goes several minutes without any "in-universe" footage, and that part was enjoyable, until they started getting weird again, with the final shoot out having one black and white shot, and one night vision shot, for no apparent reason. It drove me crazy through out the whole thing.

I do like that Jake Gyllenhall, though. And the central relationship is really good. Crazy death worshiping Mexican cartels are always a plus. Overall, it's a movie I would've enjoyed a lot if it was a regular movie. But the hosed up presentation kept kicking me right out.

All y'all do number scores so I'm gonna say End of Watch gets a 4/10

Chewy Bitems posted:

You gotta watch Achilles and the Tortoise, it sounds cool

gonna edit my list to be more in the spirit of the thread

Deadball - Japanese movie about deadly baseball, I think, plus I got it for cheap at a used movies sale

Jonah Hex - people said it's bad, but nobody said it's terrible. crazy western, could be good. Plus, I got it for cheap at a used movies sale

Cop Land - I literally bought this because of a joke in a RedLetterMedia review about a movie called CopCop that used an edited version of the Cop Land poster, and it was cheap at a used movies sale

The Manchurian Candidate - For some reason a movie about a evil presidential candidate trying to destroy America from the inside seemed appropriate this year, dunno why. I got it for cheap at a used movies sale

The Birds - Never seen a Hitchcock, and this one was cheap at a used movies sale

Cakebaker
Jul 23, 2007
Wanna buy some cake?
boomx3, sorry about the last recommendation. I guess it wasn't to your taste. It was the only one I've seen on your list so this time I'll just go with the one I think sounds most interesting so you get to watch The Manchurian Candidate

-----------------------------------------

Ok so I've finally watched Tetsuo: The Iron Man. Never realized just how modest the first one was. Doesn't exactly feel like one of the classics of cinema, but it doesn't really have to. It's just really well made, small-scale movie about a guy dealing with everyday problems. A good movie to watch when feeling down.

List:

La Dolce Vita - Saw 8½ and I can't say I really enjoyed it, but I should probably give Fellini another chance.

Battleship Potemkin - Always thought this one looked interesting.

Andrei Rublev - Maybe I should watch some Tarkovsky?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

boom boom boom posted:

Jonah Hex - people said it's bad, but nobody said it's terrible. crazy western, could be good. Plus, I got it for cheap at a used movies sale

Then let me be the one to say that it is indeed terrible.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Cakebaker posted:

Ok so I've finally watched Tetsuo: The Iron Man. Never realized just how modest the first one was. Doesn't exactly feel like one of the classics of cinema, but it doesn't really have to. It's just really well made, small-scale movie about a guy dealing with everyday problems. A good movie to watch when feeling down.

Hahaha, I almost hope this wasn't a copy-paste error.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
The Manchurian Candidate is good. It's got a badass fist fight in it. You don't expect great fight scenes in old movies, but you could put that fight in a modern movie, and the only thing out of place would be that the camera is held steady. The dream sequence owns too.

It also reminds me that modern movies all suck, because none of them have black and white close ups of a guy's sweaty face. I don't know why that's always so great, but it always is.

The Manchurian Candidate 8/10

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Cakebaker posted:

boomx3, sorry about the last recommendation. I guess it wasn't to your taste. It was the only one I've seen on your list so this time I'll just go with the one I think sounds most interesting so you get to watch The Manchurian Candidate

-----------------------------------------

List:

Battleship Potemkin - Always thought this one looked interesting.

Andrei Rublev - Maybe I should watch some Tarkovsky?

don't worry about it bro, eveybody's got their own taste. no telling what somebody will or won't like. I saw Battleship Potemkin years back, it's a sold flick. Now you gotta watch it

Deadball - Japanese movie about deadly baseball, I think, plus I got it for cheap at a used movies sale

Cop Land - I literally bought this because of a joke in a RedLetterMedia review about a movie called CopCop that used an edited version of the Cop Land poster, and it was cheap at a used movies sale

Scarface - never saw it because I figured if I liked it I'd have to hang up a poster of it in my dorm room, and I don't got a dorm room. I got it for cheap at Dollar General

The Birds - Never seen a Hitchcock, and this one was cheap at a used movies sale

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Hey Chewy Bitems, for totally, non-creepy related reasons, can you e-mail me? It can be anything, even just to say Hi Fwend :buddy:

Thanks!

thecontraryson@gmail.com

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

boom boom boom posted:

Gotta pick the master when I see him come up.

Casino has a bunch of great pieces scattered throughout, albeit I can't say the sum is greater than the parts. First thing is it's a visual marvel, and I can't really expect anything less from Scorsese. It's also got a really good cast with the principal three characters all being really great. Lots of good supporting performances scattered throughout also. It does an amazing job of explaining the relationship with Vegas, politics, and organized crime. My biggest complaint of course is it being 3 hours long. The obvious comparison for this movie is Goodfellas and even during its long runtime, every scene held an important weight to it. This feels like it could've been trimmed down a bit, but not necessarily all that much since the movie didn't feel its runtime, just bits and pieces dragged. I will end with saying when things got brutal, I was wincing in pain.

New List:

1. Hard Boiled - 26 Mar 2016 - I do love me some action.

2. Notorious - 3 Mar 2016 - I have yet to dislike a Hitchcock.

3. The Magnificent Seven - 3 Nov 2015 - We're getting a remake here soon, so might as well watch the original (well not really original).

4. 8 1/2 - 28 Jan 2016 - La Dolce Vita's companion piece.

5. Once Upon a Time in America - 8 Feb 2016 - Highest rated imdb movie I've yet to see.

6. Anatomy of a Murder - 23 Feb 2016 - Always been a fan of Mr. Stewart.

7. Gosford Park - 7 Mar 2016 - I'm keeping this slot a 97-03 slot since I seem to be lacking in this area. Only Altman I've seen is Nashville which I enjoyed.

Best Picture Bonanza (63/89)

8. Out of Africa - 10 Dec 2015 - I'm just so tired of all this traffic, I just can't wait until I can get Out of Africa

9. The English Patient - 6 Jan 2016 - The most recent best picture I haven't seen. Insert Seinfeld joke here.

10. The Best Years of Our Lives - 3 Feb 2016 - 12 of the 26 BPs I haven't seen are from pre 1950, so I'll just reserve this slot for that era.

Watched Count 147: Last 5 - Citizenfour, Children of Men, Scarface, Requiem for a Dream, Hard Boiled

GMEEOORH
Mar 12, 2012

marioinblack posted:

2. Notorious - 3 Mar 2016 - I have yet to dislike a Hitchcock.
This shouldn't change that. I remember Notorious being a real good one.

Zogo gave me F for Fake and I really enjoyed it. It's great to see a real master's take on this kind of video essay. Between the layers of trickery and its criticism of the art market I think it would make a pretty good double feature with Exit through the gift shop.

Throne of Blood - Really like the other Kurosawas I've seen, especially Ran. So another Shakespeare adaptation seems like a good idea.

Man with a Movie Camera - Often shows up on lists of great films and everything about how it was made and how that's incorporated into the film sounds really interesting.

American Psycho - Thought the book was great. Movie's supposed to be real good too, if a bit different.

Thief - Other Mann movies I've seen were good, need to watch this one.

Nightcrawler - Didn't manage to see this in the cinema last year, but everything about it seems extremely my poo poo.

Chungking Express - I've only seen ''in the mood for love'' from Wong and I should change that.

Strange Days - Picked this up at a thrift store a year or so back and I've been close to watching it about a dozen times.

Spider - Went to a big Cronenberg exhibition last year and I've slowly been going through all his films. This one is next.

Elephant - I wonder what the chances are that this will be tragically relevant due to current events when it gets picked.

Watched: The Night of the Hunter, F for Fake

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
GMEEOORH, go for the beautiful yet surprisingly metal Throne of Blood.

I was given The Game. A taut thriller playing on the paranoia and fear of the moneyed losing everything, The Game is David Fincher firing on all cylinders. It's over 2 hours, yet only feels around 90 minutes. I've like Fincher's other works partially due to his excellent editing, and this one is no exception. Scenes move incredibly fast, one right into the other, giving the viewer barely any time to breathe or catch up, save about 20 minutes in the film's second half. It feels right that this came inbetween Se7en and Fight Club, as it plays with the big ambiguous mysteries of the former while hinting at the anti-corporate themes of the latter. It almost doesn't come together thematically until the last 5 minutes, when a lot of its thoughts on the nature of wealth and the paranoia inherent in acquiring and keeping large amounts of it. The script is pretty good too, constantly throwing things at the audience and Michael Douglas, so you can never quite tell what's real and what's fake, and it has some dashes of dark humor. If you're looking for a good thriller, try this on for size.

My list (sorted by time on my list, with longest at the top):

1) A Zed & Two Noughts - The only Greenaway I've seen is the excellent The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover, and this one comes highly recommended

2) Under The Skin - ScarJo is something something sci-fi/horror? CineD raves about it, so I might as well watch it.

3) Tremors - the horror comedy classic, with a side of Bacon

4) High Plains Drifter - More westerns, with the first Eastwood directed. Just jealous it's the Beastie Boys.

5) Nashville - Nonsense... this is an election year.

NEW 6) Serpico - How does Charlie Kelly compare to the Al Pacino/Sidney Lumet classic?

Unshamed: Royal Tenenbaums, 8 1/2, Crimes & Misdemeanors, Pan's Labyrinth, Schindler's List, The Holy Mountain, Boogie Nights, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, The Exorcist, Days of Heaven, Inland Empire, The Hidden Fortress, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Naked Lunch, The Seventh Seal, Manhunter, Lolita, The Last Temptation of Christ, Sunset Boulevard, Once Upon a Time in the West, Suspiria, North by Northwest, Alien3, Badlands, Stagecoach, The Manchurian Candidate, L.A. Confidential, My Darling Clementine, Bringing Out the Dead, Starman, The Rules of the Game, Frankenstein, Malcolm X, Zardoz, Antichrist, The Sound of Music, Thief, Prisoners, Paris Texas, The Descent, El Topo, Adaptation., The Game

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The Game makes obscene wealth look better than any movie I can think of, at least visually

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Ok so tonight I watched The Birds. All I knew about it was a blonde lady hides from seagulls in a payphone booth. So I wasn't expecting the first 50 goddamn minutes to be a romance. Seriously, 50 goddamn minutes with only a single gulling. That's a long time to think about how fake rear screen projection looks.

Once it gets going, though, it's really good. Almost enough to make you forget how loving long it took to get there. All the bird scenes were great. Well, maybe not the one where the birds come through the chimney and the family flails around, menaced by a two-dimensional plane of birds 10 feet away, but aside from that. The playground and ending sequences were especially great. I also really liked the scene in the bar, with everyone sharing their bird opinions. Plus all the actors had those great old movie voices nobody has any more.

One big problem, though, is what's not in the movie. There's no scene where people attempt to escape the birds by going underwater only to be attacked by penguins, no ninja humming birds, and, perhaps most egregiously, nobody gets kicked apart by a emu! How do you do a bird attack movie with no emus?

Also, all the blood looked like red paint

The Birds 7/10, not enough birds

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

X-Ray Pecs posted:

3) Tremors - the horror comedy classic, with a side of Bacon

Tremors loving owns. watch it

Scarface - never saw it because I figured if I liked it I'd have to hang up a poster of it in my dorm room, and I don't got a dorm room. I got it for cheap at Dollar General

The Evil Dead 2 - supposedly it's Evil Dead 1, but with a budget?

The Birds 7/10, End of Watch 4/10, The Manchurian Candidate 8/10

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

boom boom boom posted:

Ok so tonight I watched The Birds. All I knew about it was a blonde lady hides from seagulls in a payphone booth. So I wasn't expecting the first 50 goddamn minutes to be a romance. Seriously, 50 goddamn minutes with only a single gulling. That's a long time to think about how fake rear screen projection looks.

Once it gets going, though, it's really good. Almost enough to make you forget how loving long it took to get there. All the bird scenes were great. Well, maybe not the one where the birds come through the chimney and the family flails around, menaced by a two-dimensional plane of birds 10 feet away, but aside from that. The playground and ending sequences were especially great. I also really liked the scene in the bar, with everyone sharing their bird opinions. Plus all the actors had those great old movie voices nobody has any more.

One big problem, though, is what's not in the movie. There's no scene where people attempt to escape the birds by going underwater only to be attacked by penguins, no ninja humming birds, and, perhaps most egregiously, nobody gets kicked apart by a emu! How do you do a bird attack movie with no emus?

Also, all the blood looked like red paint

The Birds 7/10, not enough birds

I haven't seen The Birds, but I have seen Birdemic, and it's funny how that review could almost work for either movie.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Jurgan posted:

I haven't seen The Birds, but I have seen Birdemic, and it's funny how that review could almost work for either movie.

Except The Birds is a great movie and Birdemic is incompetent at best.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Does Birdemic have a lot of rear screen projection?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Let's just say Birdemic's bird effects wouldn't look out of place on a Geocities site.

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!
boom boom boom, go with Evil Dead 2 - in some ways it is very much "Evil Dead 1, but with a budget", but it's much more than that too. Enjoy!

And boom boom boom, thankfully, gave me the film that was on my list the longest, Takeshi Kitano's Achilles and the Tortoise.

Which was only alright though fairly interesting. The life story told in three stages or a life dedicated to creating art. The film begins showing a young boy who is constantly drawing and painting, at the urging and support of those around him, as he suffers misfortune, the film then picks up his life as a young man trying to learn about and create art and then the film moves on to show him in middle age, still constantly creating art in the hope of getting the approval of others.

The first segment of the film is quite slow with just a few hints at what will influence the main character but the film gets much better and more enjoyable as it progresses. The third section of the film, featuring Kitano himself in the lead role, feels quite a bit different from the first two sections - it's got a good number of funny moments but it also feature some very dark parts. While the earlier 2 sections (and the film feels roughly evenly split between the three) add to the backstory the third section is the most interesting and engaging part, it's almost a shame the entire film wasn't just focusing on this.

In the context of a Kitano film, and the final part of his apparently "surrealist autobiographical trilogy" along with Takeshis and Glory to the Filmmaker! - the film doesn't lean on Kitano's previous films or celebrity like those 2 do and I imagine this is a much more personal film particularly since it delves into the childhood and early life of a character later played by Kitano but there isn't much that's obvious, though the film is absolutely full of his artwork, though the pieces here are much less impressive or impactful than those seen in other films but that's probably the point with much of the artwork seen in this film.

Now on to an apparent return to normality and form for the Kitano slot on my list...

List of Shame:

1 - Silence - Long intrigued by this film, now I need to catch it before the Scorsese version comes out next this year...

2 - In America - It was talked about a lot on its release but not heard much about this since, word was it was good. [Irish Film Slot]

3 - Starman - Another notable John Carpenter film, yet to see one of his early films I didn't really like.

4 - Dancer in the Dark - I started watching this years back but the rented DVD was broke, apparently a tough watch so haven't rushed back.

5 - Mad Max 2 - Assumed I'd watched this when young but its good reviews in this thread suggest it's worth seeing for definite.

6 - The Tale of Princess Kaguya - Again catching up with Studio Ghibli, this comes highly rated.

7 - Amy - A quite recent release but one I'm keen to catch. [Documentary Slot]

8 - The Wanderers - One of those films that gets mentioned often enough but don't know much about, something about a gang?

9 - Kotoko - Always interested in Shinya Tsukamoto's films, I've a few to catch up on, this seems interesting.

10- Outrage - new - Takeshi Kitano back making Yakuza films. I can't wait. [Catching up with Kitano 3/5]

Shame No More: [83] [top ten] Psycho | The Third Man | The Long Goodbye | Harakiri | The Silence of the Lambs | Pi | Jaws | Panic Room | Black Swan | Star Trek II | The Brothers Bloom | Hugo | Badlands | Shame | LA Confidential | The Right Stuff | The Evil Dead | Hanna | The Master | The Untouchables | Glengarry Glen Ross | The Seventh Seal | The Apartment | The Player | Ronin | The Grand Budapest Hotel | Glory to the Filmmaker! | Frank | Dreams | Paths of Glory | Assault on Precinct 13 | Haywire | Escape From New York | 13 Assassins | A Prophet | Stand By Me | Blackfish | Pumping Iron | The Thin Blue Line | It's A Wonderful Life | What Richard Did | The Bicycle Thieves | Youth of the Beast | Once Upon A Time In The West | The Raid: Redemption | The Babadook | Calvary | The Host | Samurai Rebellion | Poltergeist | Days of Heaven | The Room | Nightcrawler | Cars 2 | Enter the Dragon | Stalker | Casablanca | M | The Maltese Falcon | The Secret World of Arrietty | Bad Lieutenant | Blazing Saddles | Mad Max: Fury Road | From Up On Poppy Hill | In The Heat Of The Night | Noah | The Wind Rises | The Exorcist | An American Werewolf in London | The Fog | The Graduate | The Black Power Mixtape 1967-1975 | The Killing | La Dolce Vita | Scarface | Gone Girl | The Sting | Rope | Taken | Citizenfour | Annie Hall | The Great Yokai War | Achilles and the Tortoise

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
OK, tonight I watched Evil Dead 2. I knew it was going to be sillier than the first one. Just from cultural osmosis I knew about the chainsaw hand and "groovy". I didn't expect it to be a full-out slapstick comedy.

There's a lot to like. The special effects are great. the puppets and miniatures are outstanding. Linda's headless body, the laughing sequence, the end boss, all great. The movie oozes energy and charm and inventiveness. I can absolutely see why it's got such a devoted cult following.

But I wasn't crazy about it. too silly. 6/10

Also, what the gently caress is up with the names? The first movie is The Evil Dead, the sequel is Evil Dead 2, and the remake is Evil dead. What are they gonna call the sequel to Evil Dead, The Evil Dead 2?

What a mess!

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRcPA7Fzebw

my list

Nightcrawler - There's a Nightcrawler movie starring Jake Gyllenhall! "Yay, that sounds awesome!" but he's human colored, can't teleport, and never teams up with Colossus. "boo, gently caress that movie"

The Birds 7/10, Evil Dead 2 6/10 End of Watch 4/10, The Manchurian Candidate 8/10

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

boom boom boom posted:

Have a Coke and a smile.

I think the most impressive thing about Hitchcock is his ability to create tension with just the way the camera is angled. Notorious is really well shot, and the people in front of the camera do a pretty good job from there. Claude Rains jumped out moreso than the others with the hopelessness on his face as he confronts his situation toward the end. It's not my favorite Hitchcock, but he keeps finding a way to produce something entertaining. This movie isn't bogged down by heavy plot, it takes simple to understand concepts, uses great performances to drive the story, and uses camerawork decades before its time.

New List:

1. Hard Boiled - 26 Mar 2016 - I do love me some action.

2. Throne of Blood - 31 Mar 2016 - Might as well rotate legendary directors in this slot.

3. The Magnificent Seven - 3 Nov 2015 - We're getting a remake here soon, so might as well watch the original (well not really original).

4. 8 1/2 - 28 Jan 2016 - La Dolce Vita's companion piece.

5. Once Upon a Time in America - 8 Feb 2016 - Highest rated imdb movie I've yet to see.

6. Anatomy of a Murder - 23 Feb 2016 - Always been a fan of Mr. Stewart.

7. Gosford Park - 7 Mar 2016 - I'm keeping this slot a 97-03 slot since I seem to be lacking in this area. Only Altman I've seen is Nashville which I enjoyed.

Best Picture Bonanza (63/89)

8. Out of Africa - 10 Dec 2015 - I'm just so tired of all this traffic, I just can't wait until I can get Out of Africa

9. The English Patient - 6 Jan 2016 - The most recent best picture I haven't seen. Insert Seinfeld joke here.

10. The Best Years of Our Lives - 3 Feb 2016 - 12 of the 26 BPs I haven't seen are from pre 1950, so I'll just reserve this slot for that era.

Watched Count 148: Last 5 - Children of Men, Scarface, Requiem for a Dream, Casino, Notorious

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Since you didn't specify which version definitely watch the original 1932 version of Scarface it's much better than the remake.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

boom boom boom posted:

OK, tonight I watched Evil Dead 2. I knew it was going to be sillier than the first one. Just from cultural osmosis I knew about the chainsaw hand and "groovy". I didn't expect it to be a full-out slapstick comedy.

There's a lot to like. The special effects are great. the puppets and miniatures are outstanding. Linda's headless body, the laughing sequence, the end boss, all great. The movie oozes energy and charm and inventiveness. I can absolutely see why it's got such a devoted cult following.

But I wasn't crazy about it. too silly. 6/10

Also, what the gently caress is up with the names? The first movie is The Evil Dead, the sequel is Evil Dead 2, and the remake is Evil dead. What are they gonna call the sequel to Evil Dead, The Evil Dead 2?

What a mess!

I think "Army of Darkness" couldn't have "Evil Dead" in the title because of something to do with licensing rights.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Marioinblack, watch 8 1/2. I don't know that I'd call it a companion piece to La dolce vita. Fellini is certainly coming from the same period of his life, but he takes a much more surrealistic tone with this one to create something spellbinding.

The Testament of Dr. Mabuse was given to me back in February. I've only seen about a quarter of Fritz Lang's works but I can safely say he is one of my favorite directors. He was a master of the conspiracy crime story and Testament is a pillar of the genre. There's doses of the supernatural which, like the first film in the series, I wish Lang engaged in more, but those tastes are enough to became the lasting images of the movie. Quick paced and witty, I love love love this kind of filmmaking.

My List:

The Avenging Conscience (1914) - Griffith's last film before The Birth of a Nation. (Added 2/15/2015)

Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key (1972) - Helluva title. I'm actually not a big fan of Dario Argento so I'd like to see a non-Argento Giallo for once. (Added 9/27/2015)

Flooding with Love for the Kid (2010) - A guy adapted First Blood (yes, as in Rambo) and filmed it in his 220 square foot New York apartment on a budget of $96 with a cast consisting of himself in every role. It's apparently really good. (Added 9/27/2015)

The Life of Juanita Castro (1965) - An Andy Warhol deep cut. Several actresses sit cramped in a room all facing the same direction enacting a drama about the Castros and Che Guevera during the Cuban revolution. I really dig Warhol's minimalist factory films. (Added 11/1/2015)

The Hour of the Furnaces (1968) - A sprawling 260 minute documentary that is thankfully broken up into three parts. However, while little plot description exists beyond "a unique film exploration of a nation's soul" it's supposedly one of the tentpoles of radical activist 60s filmmaking. (Added 11/5/2015)

The Most Dangerous Game (1932) - It's man. (Added 12/12/2015)

Soylent Green (1973) - It's people. (Added 12/19/2015)

Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (1999) - I've never seen the prequels. With Star Wars mania in the air they've been coming up in conversation a lot more lately so hopefully I can finally join the hate parade. (Added 12/25/2015)

Surname Viet Given Name Nam (1989) - Don't wear it out. :frogc00l: (Added 2/5/2016)

Passages from James Joyce's Finnegans Wake (1966) - Mary Ellen Bute's underground, feature length adaptation of Joyce's inscrutable novel. I've never even tried to read it, but I'll give the movie a shot. (Added 4/1/2016)

Watched: Fort Apache; Damnation; Ran; Ordet; Purple Rain; Häxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages; Napoléon; Yi Yi; Faces; The Blood of a Poet; The War Room; Sanjuro; The Testament of Dr. Mabuse (TOTAL: 13)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Ok I’ll join this.

TrixRabbi watch Phantom Menace, the only movie on your list I've seen. It's not that bad compared to the others that follow.

List List List, with arbitrary genre distinctions!

Horror Slot: Suspiria: This looks so cool, and weird horror is the best.
Sci-Fi Slot: Ex Machina: Everyone so far has told me it’s really good, pensive sci-fi, but it’s also long. 
Action Slot: 300. Fascist propaganda or biting satire? How can I tell without having seen it?
Western Slot: Pale Rider. Clint Eastwood, presumably pale, on a horse? Probably good???
War Movie Slot: Thin Red Line. Will it teach me that war is….bad?
Comedy Slot: 22 Jump Street. The first one was hilarious, this probably is too.
Classic Slot: Citizen Kane. I heard it’s the Citizen Kane of movies so it must be good.
Contemporary Artsy Slot: Tree of Life. Is it the biblical or biological metaphor that’s referenced? Does it matter?
Older Artsy Slot: Solaris (Tarkovski version): Loved the book, can’t go wrong with the movie then, right?