Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

taqueso posted:

I was having a good time playing a single AC10 blackjack and saw a ridiculous dual AC10 blackjack build with ~60 armor on mechspecs. I thought it would be fun to play a real dual-AC10-capable mech. I ended up going with the WHM-6R. It is pretty good fighting at range, and actually not horrible super close as you can use the backup lasers to whittle people down and drop the ACs whenever an easy shot lines up.

I swapped to dual LB-10X last night for a couple rounds before I went to bed and that was a blast, too. Like playing doom 2 with the super shotgun.

Here are my (probably not completely accurate) notes:
code:
ebon jag    65t/87.1kph   No Quirks (high mounts) (hand mount) 9ammo
JM6-A       65t/84.4kph   range 20%, vel 35%, cool 5% Bal.; struct +10  (high mounts) (hand mounts) 6ammo
CTF-IM      70t/84.6kph   cool 10%,vel 25%,range 25%; struct +7 (low mounts, wide torso) (2 hand 1 torso mnt) 8ammo
WHM-6R      70t/84.6kph   vel 20%, cool 5%; struct +16 (torso mount) 8ammo
WHM-BW      70t/84.6kph   vel 10%, cool 10%; struct +14 (torso mount) 8 ammo
Rifleman    60t/84.2kph   RFL-LK: cool 15%; struct +7 // RFL-3C cool 10%,range 20%; struct +10 // RFL-3N cool 20% // RFL-3N cool 20%; hand mounts, 5ammo
Speeds are maxed XL w/ speed tweak. Ammo comments are how many tons are left with max armor, max-size XL engine and 2 AC10s.

I've had good success with the Rifleman 3C version, but it's not a mech for everyone. You can't brawl worth a poo poo in it, but it shines when you're acting as fire support for brawling mechs, especially Atlases since they sandpaper off most mech's armor in a shot or two, allowing you to plant a pair of accurate (the arms are at cockpit level) 10 damage shells right into the internals from 300-450m away every 2 or so seconds.

The Ilya Muromets version however, doesn't rely on an XL-Engine if you don't want it to, allowing you to be a bit more durable. The main downside being the low mounted arms.

I want warhammers to go C-Bill, so I can binge on them and try this sort of thing on those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Murdermets with 3ac10 :)

The dire doesn't twist for poo poo, don't even bother. If you get in to a bad situation, press O and just keep shooting, you're going to die either way. Also, if you use the trial dire, make sure to get the autohotkey script that lets you use gauss without having to hold/release.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I'm not bothering with it. I don't think assaults are for me. I just hate being so slow. Considering most teams will leave you in the dust, you're left on your own for the most part.

Gotta know your strengths and my jam are mediums. Bought another Shadow Cat because those things are fun as gently caress.

Lord Kinbote
Feb 27, 2016

Stringbean posted:

I need a new heavy. I'm thinking Grasshopper, Black Knight orrrrrrrr Quickdraw....

Also the Ice Ferret is my spirit animal, I'm convinced. I've lost one match in it out of I have to say... 30 matches or so.

Go for the QuickDraw 5k xl300 and 4 large lasers,great for pugging or in a group and has nice quirks.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
So here's the thing about the Dire -- it is both the most powerful robbit on the field and the most fragile. you have to have your team on board

it has to be both the centerpiece of your team and never, ever right on the front

if you go with the dual gauss/laservom build, for example, that is an 80-ish point pinpoint alpha. if you put that in the right place it will utterly ruin an enemy robot's day

so think of it like this -- you gotta pick an area and deny the other team that area. You also have to be about 5-600 meters away from that area so you're out of range of Black Knights and SRMs. the rest of your team needs to take care of the rest

Some robots push with armor and do so up close. Some robots push with guns and do so farther away. Dire Wolf is the latter.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Lol at people that need 1k+ damage to kill 5 dudes. Learn to aim/let pubs do the dirty work.

Steak kills all day.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
For the first time I went up on top of the ring on HPG in my SHC. Just lol at the people who keep turning around to see what's hitting them, and lol again at those whiffing shots at my last position.

Are Novas any good? They look a little wide but can also ECM.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Stringbean posted:

For the first time I went up on top of the ring on HPG in my SHC. Just lol at the people who keep turning around to see what's hitting them, and lol again at those whiffing shots at my last position.

How the heck did a hunchback with zero jump jets get up there? How the heck?

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Krinkle posted:

How the heck did a hunchback with zero jump jets get up there? How the heck?

wat

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I can accept that with enough jump jets anyone can get anywhere but I observed after death a hunchback up on the ring. How did he do it?

There's a walking path up there but there's not really ever a good time to go exploring you gotta go fight for the center so where's the hiking trail?

Also should anyone but a clan ER large laser light even bother?

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Apr 1, 2016

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Krinkle posted:

I can accept that with enough jump jets anyone can get anywhere but I observed after death a hunchback up on the ring. How did he do it?

There's a walking path up there but there's not really ever a good time to go exploring you gotta go fight for the center so where's the hiking trail?

Also should anyone but a clan ER large laser light even bother?

You sure it wasn't an IIC HBK? Those guys can mount a few.

I'm not sure if there is a way to walk up there. Maybe there is, but I don't know of any other way then JJ

Plain Jane LLas can hit the center. I used dual CLPL up there it was boatloads of fun.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Well I could ask but when I was yelling over voip "no, seriously, how the gently caress did that hunchback get up there" people responded with "there's a walking path up there, it's hard to find but it's there" and not "that's a IIC and it has jumpjets". I don't remember it being a IIC. I don't know if I was being hosed with, now.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

You can walk up from outside the wall close to the map boundary.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

If you spawn on the other side can you also get up there? Is it an equal opportunity glitch path?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

It looks like there are hills on two, possibly four, sides on the battlemap, but I don't want to walk all the way over there.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Krinkle posted:

If you spawn on the other side can you also get up there? Is it an equal opportunity glitch path?

Yes, you can get up from either side without Jump Jets.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
OKay, I jumped on Training mode.

E7:

(between the dark spots on the cliff wall is easy to climb)
and G7 from which taqueso already showed off

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Stringbean posted:

Are Novas any good? They look a little wide but can also ECM.

Novas can't ECM, and their wide bodies are an issue because all of your weapons are in your arms. You are also slower than the Stormcrow. They can SPL boat drat effectively, and I have fun with a PPC+ML variant, but they aren't for everybody. I also have a stupid complex build, but after the heat changes it doesn't really work anymore.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Oops must have had them confused with a different clan mech. Good to know

e: April Fools Patch Notes are up. I like the mech "fixes"

'Mech Fixes and Changes

• The Move Left Module is now required in order to move left.
• All 'Mechs within 1000m of an active Warhorn will now be placed into a new dance-off mechanic. Whichever 'Mech is able to generate the highest volume of whooping and hollering from the audience will emerge the victor, and will be awarded with an all-expenses-paid trip to Las Vegas where they will compete in the first inaugural Inner Sphere Idol competition.
• Plot Armor is now available for purchase by whichever Unit has the most amount of fan fiction posted in the forums.
• The phrase "IIC" in all applicable 'Mech names has been changed to "The Second - See".
• Awesome (all variants): Now 12% more awesome (approximate value).
• Blackjack (all variants): All weapons now deal exactly 21 damage.
Black Knight (all variants): The Black Knight will continue to survive after losing all four limb components.
• Cicada (all variants): Every 13 or 17 years a Cicada can unlock access to a Sonic Attack Consumable Item.
• Dragon (all variants): Can now grant wishes if all Memory Cores are united.
• Executioner (all variants): Now known as the Koala.
• Executioner (all variants): Now powered by copious amounts of eucalyptus leaves.
• Gargoyle (all variants): Turns into stone during the daytime.
• Griffin (all variants): Piloting a Griffin now requires a successful Skill Check (Handle Animal).
• Hellbringer (all variants): Now brings forth the apocalypse.
Highlander (all variants): Can now only be defeated through decapitation.
• JagerMech (all variants): Can now perform a special Jager Bomb stun attack (on itself).
Jenner (all variants): Five Jenner 'Mechs of any variant can now form into a unique Atlas variant.
• Locust (all variants): Will now receive a boost to XP earnings when the new Statue of a Bizarre Creature Cockpit Item is equipped.
• Raven (all variants): A bust of Pallas Athena now occupies and is locked to the Standing Cockpit Item slot.
• Stalker (all variants): Now receives a bonus to Info Gathering when hiding in the bushes.
• Wolverine (all variants): Adamantium internal structure can now be equipped.
• Wolverine (all variants): Performance and abilities are now variable depending on who is piloting the 'Mech.
• Wolverine (all variants): Can now equip a Healing Factor Module that auto-repairs armor at a rate of 1 per second.

Also...

New Cockpit Items

• Twerking Urbie (Standing Item)

I wish this were a real thing.

Stringbean fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 2, 2016

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Why is no one shotting robutts with us?

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

veedubfreak posted:

I'm listening to the town hall...trying too. The Nova is getting a significant de-buff, because apparently after it is shrunk the mediocre structure quirks it has is going to make it the most powerful mech in the game. Also the Decal system is apparently so difficult to implement that it's being pushed back. I think I'm done with the Town Hall.

The Repo Man fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 2, 2016

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
https://mwomercs.com/mwowc2016/

well that's something

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

My Guess

They are talking a little bit about competitive leagues in the Town Hall, so that could be what is being announced on the 5th, and also because that's what that site is hinting at. There isn't much they could announce that would be that big, unless it's talking about CW Phase 3.

\/\/ Yeah. In other news, the April Fools update is actually kind of funny in a few places. It's schlocky, but in an alright way..

"Plot Armor is now available for purchase by whichever Unit has the most amount of fan fiction posted in the forums."
"Blackjack (all variants): All weapons now deal exactly 21 damage."
"Highlander (all variants): Can now only be defeated through decapitation."

The Repo Man fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 2, 2016

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

The Repo Man posted:

They are talking a little bit about competitive leagues in the Town Hall, so that could be what is being announced on the 5th, and also because that's what that site is hinting at. There isn't much they could announce that would be that big, unless it's talking about CW Phase 3.

I mean MWOWC is probably MechWarrior Online World Championships

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe
It's a good time to launch the MWO World Championships, now that the cheaters have all been removed from the game because there really aren't that many of them.

On a different note, did anything of substance happen in the Fool's Town Hall?

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Lonjon posted:

It's a good time to launch the MWO World Championships, now that the cheaters have all been removed from the game because there really aren't that many of them.

On a different note, did anything of substance happen in the Fool's Town Hall?

Russ is, at this moment, talking about how all mechs should be bracket builds and that selecting different mechs, even within weight classes during the voting screen, is stupid and blah blah. He also addressed why they won't add Pink to the game as a color. MWO is built around being a hardcore shooter, therefore adding pink would sully it's good name. That's...that's his real answer. I actually can't listen to any more of this.

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

veedubfreak posted:

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I can honestly understand why choosing a mech at the voting screen would be dumb. At that point you may as well just make every map heat neutral because you'd never see hot builds on heat maps or LRMs on Crimson Straight.

The no pink is just loving dumb.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

My theory is that no-one knows how to add a color to the selector.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

The Repo Man posted:

He also addressed why they won't add Pink to the game as a color. MWO is built around being a hardcore shooter, therefore adding pink would sully it's good name.

Wow, so it was homophobia! I'm surprised he admitted it.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

The Repo Man posted:

He also addressed why they won't add Pink to the game as a color. MWO is built around being a hardcore shooter, therefore adding pink would sully it's good name. That's...that's his real answer. I actually can't listen to any more of this.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

One of the other guys in the call addressed this too, but Russ still said it was too silly, or something like that. I just...don't even know, man.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Fun Shoe

We can't have pink colored things because this is a serious shooting game that people take seriously.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
isn't the Heavy Metal, which you can buy for real money, already pink?

also this is the next 'mech, with another 'mech announced mid-month

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Viper_(Dragonfly)

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Fun Shoe
I think you are on the very edge of discovering the True Meaning of Mechwarrior Online.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

It's a piece of poo poo, don't buy it. 8 locked Jump Jets and no ECM. It's an Ice Ferret but worse.

It is a 45 ton `Mech withs 8.5 free tons for you to turn into weapons.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's a piece of poo poo, don't buy it. 8 locked Jump Jets and no ECM. It's an Ice Ferret but worse.

It is a 45 ton `Mech withs 8.5 free tons for you to turn into weapons.

the official art is all about those JJs

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

All of these are serious enough for mwo

heavy metal pink

Not actually pink, its one of the purples

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Fun Shoe

I've been playing this thing tonight. I'm taking this game very seriously, as you can plainly see by my color selections. If I had pink available to me my Mechwarrior Online gaming experience would have suffered irreparable harm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Serious enough for MWO.

But actual bright pink? Oh man. I didn't realize how badly that would ruin my gameplay experience.

It's not like there's any canonical units that have a pink paint scheme or anything.

• Locked thread