Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Feenix posted:

Is Ronin Cran necessary? Anything good? I am loving HATING this torch-brand jumping from the Salt Alkemancy area. For some reason it's really picky about when I catch the ledge so I fall to my death a TON.

Cran is optional, but you can access him through the Red Hall. The Alkymancy I honestly don't even remember lol, wasn't that the one with suction tubes? It's smaller than it looks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Cran is optional, but you can access him through the Red Hall. The Alkymancy I honestly don't even remember lol, wasn't that the one with suction tubes? It's smaller than it looks.

Good to know. Yeah, no, right now the only way I know to get to him is to go up and to the right in the Alkemancy area and then outside to some hidden (torch) platforms. But for some reason I don't manage to latch onto them about 80% of the time so I'm just sick of wasting time and gold and falling to my death a ton. :p

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

victrix posted:

The endgame areas take such a dive in fun, the game went from 'this is cool to explore' to poo poo tier falling to your death constantly because the levels are all oriented downwards and you can't see far enough below to plan a fall and/or one slip results in instadeath. Lame poo poo.

I'm in the same boat.

The Crypt of Dead Gods was such a drop in area design quality that it's killed my desire to play through the game again.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Digirat posted:

Your progress does get reset to 1 if you leave the creed. I had to level up devora again when I accidentally left because they put the "join this creed" menu option in the same place where "level up" normally is when you're in another creed's sanctuary.

Oh weird! I was also under the impression that rewards from creeds would roll forward to NG+, but you could level up the devotion again to get more rewards. Is that not the case?

Apathetic Artist
Dec 23, 2010

poor life choice posted:

Oh weird! I was also under the impression that rewards from creeds would roll forward to NG+, but you could level up the devotion again to get more rewards. Is that not the case?

Only if you continue to stay with the creed you ended the game with. If you leave it at any time, you become an apostate and it resets to one. Anybody planning on doing NG+ should ensure they've gotten their chosen creed to 7 before finishing NG. It's really nice to almost immediately get 7 more items from your creed in NG+.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Irsh posted:

Only if you continue to stay with the creed you ended the game with. If you leave it at any time, you become an apostate and it resets to one. Anybody planning on doing NG+ should ensure they've gotten their chosen creed to 7 before finishing NG. It's really nice to almost immediately get 7 more items from your creed in NG+.

Awesome, thank you for the clarification. Any opinion on fire and sky or betrayer for mage/swords/heavy?

poor life choice posted:

Anyone have any input on Keepers of Fire and Sky vs. Order of the Betrayer for NG+? The former seems like it would have me casting spells more often. And yet, the flask of defilement... My guy is swords 4/heavy armor 5/staves 5, working on maxing wands then will either do shields or just pump magic.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I have just made it through the cavern, and looking at my transmutation recipes I have enough idols to make a class 3 axe (red guillotine) or a class 3 hammer (Barbarian's Cudgel or Cephalopounder). For whatever reason you can't buy class zero hammers so it looks like the choice is mutually exclusive there.

Does anyone have a recommendation between the three? They all have unexplained tags on the wiki as special effects too, and pretty similar scaling and base damage.

thanks

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
Am I missing something obvious or is it a bit of a weird design decision that you can't roll through enemies unless they're at a certain point of their animation? Considering the fact that there's only two ways to go, it seems weird.

Note what I mean is "what control combination am I missing that allows me to escape from being cornered by a boss"

THE PWNER fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Apr 1, 2016

Injun Greenberg
Sep 14, 2011

THE PWNER posted:

Am I missing something obvious or is it a bit of a weird design decision that you can't roll through enemies unless they're at a certain point of their animation? Considering the fact that there's only two ways to go, it seems weird.

Note what I mean is "what control combination am I missing that allows me to escape from being cornered by a boss"

I'm not sure it's anything to do with their animations. Are you sure you're close enough to them? If you touch the boss in a certain part of your animation for the roll (like halfway through) then you'll just bump against them.

So try running right next to them and then roll? It should just take you straight you through them (unless they're too big, which not much is). Getting naked also gives you a quicker/further roll.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

poor life choice posted:

Awesome, thank you for the clarification. Any opinion on fire and sky or betrayer for mage/swords/heavy?

Fire/Sky and Betrayer both give you access to the Dragonbreath spell - it's extremely powerful but almost literally broken with flasks of defilement. Toss one on a boss and set them on fire, basically nothing will survive for more than two seconds.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Finally getting around to playing this, any tips for a new player? I've played all the souls games if that matters.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

poptart_fairy posted:

Fire/Sky and Betrayer both give you access to the Dragonbreath spell - it's extremely powerful but almost literally broken with flasks of defilement. Toss one on a boss and set them on fire, basically nothing will survive for more than two seconds.

I already got Dragonbreath from the House of Splendor, it owns bones. I ended up throwing in with Fire/Sky because the Betrayer aesthetic is just too hilariously grimdark.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

poor life choice posted:

I already got Dragonbreath from the House of Splendor, it owns bones. I ended up throwing in with Fire/Sky because the Betrayer aesthetic is just too hilariously grimdark.

The Order of the Betrayer is unambiguously the best Creed in the game, but it comes at the terrible cost of making you feel like you're standing outside a Hot Topic for all eternity.

Apathetic Artist
Dec 23, 2010

poor life choice posted:

As said above, Betrayer is the best creed for probably every build. Hitting any boss with a flask of defilement will let you melt them in seconds with almost any damage type.

For any build using magic, I'd say the Fire and Sky creed is second best since they have some nice items that help you regain focus. Early in the game, I also liked Devara's Light for my arcane sword mage. They'll give you an item to put holy damage on your weapon and a consumable to restores health and focus simultaneously.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

The Order of the Betrayer is unambiguously the best Creed in the game, but it comes at the terrible cost of making you feel like you're standing outside a Hot Topic for all eternity.

At blacksmith rank 7 you unlock the Black Tee w/ Ironic White Text.

Irsh posted:

As said above, Betrayer is the best creed for probably every build. Hitting any boss with a flask of defilement will let you melt them in seconds with almost any damage type.

For any build using magic, I'd say the Fire and Sky creed is second best since they have some nice items that help you regain focus. Early in the game, I also liked Devara's Light for my arcane sword mage. They'll give you an item to put holy damage on your weapon and a consumable to restores health and focus simultaneously.

Yeahhh if I try a new character after NG+ I'll probably just go all out in the dexterity tree for a daggers/whips, pistol and light armor build and choose Betrayer.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Any tips on the Dragon boss in the Cave of the Gods or whatever?

Also: I had a Headtaker greataxe but decided it was really slow and stuff so I made a Jaws of Death greatscissor. Was that a solid choice?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Feenix posted:

Also: I had a Headtaker greataxe but decided it was really slow and stuff so I made a Jaws of Death greatscissor. Was that a solid choice?

Jaws of Death is the best slashing-type weapon in the game, so well done, you.

Abuse the Strong attack whenever possible, it's two hits for the price of one and eats up most anything not strong against Slash.

Apathetic Artist
Dec 23, 2010

Feenix posted:

I haven't used great swords myself, but reading this thread makes me think they are quite powerful and one of the easier weapons to get through the game with. Really, just go with whichever feels more comfortable for you. Also, try using the charm that speeds up your attack with the greataxe. That might change your opinion on the slow weapons. I couldn't use any other charms with my two-hand axe/hammer wielder because the attack speed feels off otherwise.

As for that Dragon, I think I generally stayed close and rolled through him to avoid most of his attack. There were a couple that required you to keep rolling well past him to avoid, the trident lightning and firebeath, but I usually made my way right back to him before he started his next attack.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
How long is this game taking people to complete?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
If this is your first souls type game, I would say 40 hours.

If you know what you are doing, 10 to 20 hours.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
But ignore the in-game counter because it seems to count up while suspended. Mine said 170 hours at the end which I think is every hour since it released, minus a handful spent on other games.

Injun Greenberg
Sep 14, 2011

Feenix posted:

Getting naked means you can pretty much roll straight through him and a lot of his attacks leave him very open from behind.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So is the Dried King resistant to magic? He's the first enemy I encountered that doesnt seem to take much damage from it.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Random Hajile posted:

I'm in the same boat.

The Crypt of Dead Gods was such a drop in area design quality that it's killed my desire to play through the game again.

It's quite short at the very least, particularly once you know where to go. I just sort of wish the last area had a Sanctuary so you didn't have to backtrack through the Crypt if you decide to go back to look for more poo poo.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So is the Dried King resistant to magic? He's the first enemy I encountered that doesnt seem to take much damage from it.

Funny you should say that cause I swear one of the posters in the thread dropped a video of him completely destroying the boss with the flame barrage spell. Like, half to two thirds of the boss's health in one blast from the spell. Of course, he may have been part of the betrayer covenant, which apparently supplies a flask that lowers enemy defense.

That said, my magic was in the forties when I fought him and while I didn't trivialize the boss I still nailed it on my first attempt, using a channeler's staff IV and flame barrage or whatever it's called.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
This game totally looks like my jam, but dammit DS3 is coming out in like 2 weeks and I don't game enough that I could beat this in that much time. :argh:

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

So does the Stone Mage just not stock spells until I rank up my creed?

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

This game sounds like something I would like, but god drat the art style is hideous to me. Backgrounds are fine, even though they look odd to me I could get over it. The characters however look like something out of a lovely webcomic. It really bothers me.

Its too bad, since I would love a 2D souls game, but I can't enjoy something if it looks ugly to me.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

NotAnArtist posted:

Funny you should say that cause I swear one of the posters in the thread dropped a video of him completely destroying the boss with the flame barrage spell. Like, half to two thirds of the boss's health in one blast from the spell. Of course, he may have been part of the betrayer covenant, which apparently supplies a flask that lowers enemy defense.

That said, my magic was in the forties when I fought him and while I didn't trivialize the boss I still nailed it on my first attempt, using a channeler's staff IV and flame barrage or whatever it's called.

I was using flame barrage myself. I think I missied a bunch of areas getting to this Ziggurat though, I might just be underleveled.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

The Skeleton King posted:

This game sounds like something I would like, but god drat the art style is hideous to me. Backgrounds are fine, even though they look odd to me I could get over it. The characters however look like something out of a lovely webcomic. It really bothers me.

Its too bad, since I would love a 2D souls game, but I can't enjoy something if it looks ugly to me.

Same, but for me it was really about the cartoonish faces and literally all the helmets I used obscure them completely, so it was fine soon enough. I feel like I was incredibly overleveled somehow despite doing no grinding other than a loving three hour stint hunting mages for a single amber idol. After the first few bosses I just facetanked boss attacks munching on hearty rolls while hitting them on the head with a great big sword. Never once equipped a shield. Rolling got me killed more often than not I think, fat roll is garbage, but then again it's supposed to be. Put on an elemental resistance ring, with good armor you're fine.

I loved the game, I don't play souls games for the gameplay. I like the mystery and the ambiance. Salt and Sanctuary got that just so, for me, so I will forgive the kinda lacklustre second half of the game, gameplay wise. Some general (mostly negative) thoughts:

Weapon progression is very strange. I eventually got the Scharfrichter because I felt like there had to be something better than that chitin sword thing I was using, it was a legit downgrade for a while only outperforming it once I could get my hands on the far more difficult to aquire upgrade items transmuted weapons use. All in all it was maybe a sidegrade, or it would have been, but there's no such thing cause the movesets are identical.

I found that hammering square outperforms any combo you might try to do. The triangle button seems to provide variety simply for variety's sake.

Some of the creed stuff is infuriating. Nobody wants to farm an early game enemy that won't drop poo poo for hours. Bonus points for there only being like 3 of them in the entire game.

Mysterious cleric can charge whatever he likes, money is completely loving useless anyway.

Your inventory fills up with garbage pretty drat quick.

Is there a point to the broad by the tree who says she's not born of salt? The only player note said praise egg.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.
Pitchwoods are basically making me quit this. These death drops stink of fake difficulty.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

NT Plus posted:

Pitchwoods are basically making me quit this. These death drops stink of fake difficulty.

Pitchwoods in general and that hellish platforming section in particular are all optional. The path to the boss in the Pitchwoods is almost entirely flat (though it has some nasty enemies on the way) and the only thing waiting at the end of that Megaman gauntlet is a Creed.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

:psyduck: Okay I think I missed a brand somewhere. I'm at the fort beyond the beach or whatever and there's a red wall I can't get past. I thought Bitchwoods was where I get that.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

NT Plus posted:

:psyduck: Okay I think I missed a brand somewhere. I'm at the fort beyond the beach or whatever and there's a red wall I can't get past. I thought Bitchwoods was where I get that.

Nope, you get the Hardlight brand at the end of the Mire of Stench. Continue past where you fought That Stench Most Foul and there should be a short platforming section that'll drop you down to a little platform sticking out from the wall above the exit. The Brand NPC is there.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

I never ran into that boss.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

NT Plus posted:

I never ran into that boss.

Well, better go run into him then!

The Mire's not that hard to navigate, just keep trying to head up and you'll eventually reach a switch that opens the way to the boss.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

I still havent found the mire. I don't really know where to go. I guess its near um... that blue cave place?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

NT Plus posted:

I still havent found the mire. I don't really know where to go. I guess its near um... that blue cave place?

Correct. The Mire of Stench is past the door the boss of Hager's Cavern unlocks.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

I feel like I've turned this place upside down and havent found the boss though. Sorry I suck at these metroidvanias.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Any tips for someone starting out? I've beaten the Queen of Smiles and got to the Alchemist but it really feels like I'm missing something.

• Locked thread