Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

veedubfreak posted:

That's the v10 though right? From what I gathered it's only an issue on the 2.0l.

Nope, it's the 3.0 v6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BlackMK4 posted:

Nope, it's the 3.0 v6.

Yup. The V10 TDI was only available in the Toureg around 2006-2008, if it went that long.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Thanks! But yeah, can I do both kinds of suits? Does joining a class action somehow preclude me from filing an individual suit?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Anyone with a mk7 the obdeleven vagcom thingy can adjust soundactor now

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Don Lapre posted:

Anyone with a mk7 the obdeleven vagcom thingy can adjust soundactor now

Eh, I unplugged mine about a week after I bought the car. I do need to order one though. Debating on having the resonator cut out.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Pretty sure VW can just submit this as EXHIBIT A and then have the case summarily dismissed or should I say BUSTED!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQzpsBmGeNs

Goodtime Pancreas
May 31, 2007
I'm going to be looking at 2 volkswagens tomorrow, a 2006 jetta and a 2007 rabbit, both with the 2.5 pzev.

Is there anything I should be on the lookout with these? Do these engines still have the issue with Condensation in the crankcase?

The jetta has 67000 miles and they are asking 5900 and the rabbit has just under 100000 and they are asking 5500.

Reliability is my main concern, is a volkswagen a bad idea?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Dealer or private sales? The Rabbit, at least, sounds overpriced for private sales in my area. I suspect the Jetta would be, too.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
PZEV is EU I assume. In the US those prices are waaaaaay too high for 9/10 year old cars.

Which engine do they actually have? Look for maintenance records, signs of accidents, that sort of thing. You can usually tell if a car has been taken care of or abused. 67k Miles in 10 years is going to lean towards either lots of not being driven, or lots of short trips.

Which trim is also important
KBB says 6280 is pretty much the max for a perfect condition Jetta GLI with that mileage.
Rabbit comes up with 5200 are the value for a perfect condition rabbit with 100k on the clock.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 1, 2016

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

veedubfreak posted:

PZEV is EU I assume. In the US those prices are waaaaaay too high for 9/10 year old cars.

It's actually a California thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partial_zero-emissions_vehicle

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Ya, I saw that when I did the KBB on the Rabbit. kbb.com is your friend when looking at used cars.

Goodtime Pancreas
May 31, 2007
Those are dealer prices, and I live in Norfolk, which has horribly inflated car and housing prices. The ads say pzev, but I'm not sure.

I'm going to take a look at them tomorrow, and if they impress me I will pay for a carfax if they don't provide them.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Oy. Fuel cap light on my 2008 GTI stays on. Can it be anything else aside from the actual fuel cap? I'm gonna order a new one online, but wondering what could make that happen.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Did you clear the code and it comes back on?

Alabamarama
Aug 22, 2013
Is it bad that my URS6 does this?

https://youtu.be/iyPsAVd6a0k

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Alabamarama posted:

Is it bad that my URS6 does this?

https://youtu.be/iyPsAVd6a0k

Yes. Yes it is. Stop it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Installed a JB1 today on my mk7 gti and holy moly. Coming from the land of n/a where $400 gets you 4hp this poo poo is amazing.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Don Lapre posted:

Installed a JB1 today on my mk7 gti and holy moly. Coming from the land of n/a where $400 gets you 4hp this poo poo is amazing.

Hah. Yes. Now add a DP. 300whp, no bullshit.

A tune will pull harder up top where the JB1 falls off, too.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

BlackMK4 posted:

Hah. Yes. Now add a DP. 300whp, no bullshit.

A tune will pull harder up top where the JB1 falls off, too.

Maybe in a few years. Got the JB1 so i could remove it for warranty. Probably the only perf modification i will make.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That's why I've stuck with the JB1+DP, as well. 10k miles so far.
Remove your clutch delay valve, if you haven't yet. World of difference and you won't destroy your clutch early.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

BlackMK4 posted:

That's why I've stuck with the JB1+DP, as well. 10k miles so far.
Remove your clutch delay valve, if you haven't yet. World of difference and you won't destroy your clutch early.

Did it this weekend. Feels great now.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
Mk7 GTI here...what's going to be the difference in removing the clutch delay valve vs leaving it in ?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

The clutch is a lot more predictable. The delay valve imagine you let off or apply the clutch, well it slows down the clutch actually letting out or being applied.

Mr Yuck
Jun 5, 2005

She was your regular kinda dame.. Then she put me into a deep beta freeze..
Hey guys, I'm potentially ready to be indoctrinated into the VW world, but just had a couple questions before I plunk down some cash on a car.

I come from mostly a Honda family, having driven a '97 Civic for ten years and a '91 CRX before that that's now living in my dad's garage [albeit on the other side of the country]. Mom, dad and grandparents have had other models here and there. Just from reading through the last 15-20 pages here and elsewhere online, I should probably expect having more mechanical/electrical problems, right? I'm not scared of doing some work myself, but I just don't want to be spending a significant amount of money that needs constant attention every 15,000 miles. Is that an attitude I'd have to ditch, or am I just seeing a lot of isolated incidents?

Specifically, there's a 2015 Golf GTI at the local dealership with 19k miles for $21,000 (not certified pre-owned, unfortunately). I haven't seen it in person and would want a PPI before going for it, but it seems like it might be a good deal on a practical and sporty car that would last me another 10-plus years.

I also don't have any issue with an older model and have been looking at MKVIs to save some money. I've got $15k in cash and don't particularly want a car payment unless it's worth it. Any help y'all can give is appreciated.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Gti what? If it's an s you could prob get a new one for almost that much.

Mr Yuck
Jun 5, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

Gti what? If it's an s you could prob get a new one for almost that much.

They claim it's an Autobahn, but it's got the plaid seats only available on the S, not to mention lacking dual climate control. It's supposed to have the performance package, too, but who knows if that's true.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
That seems kind of high for a car with 19k on the clock and not a CPO.

Huh, maybe not. KBB says that's at the low end of a dealer price for a PP GTI S. Stick or DSG? Options?

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Apr 6, 2016

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Mr Yuck posted:

They claim it's an Autobahn, but it's got the plaid seats only available on the S, not to mention lacking dual climate control. It's supposed to have the performance package, too, but who knows if that's true.

Yea, plaid seats is an S all the way. No way is it an autobahn. The GTI badges will be red if its a PP.

Mr Yuck
Jun 5, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

That seems kind of high for a car with 19k on the clock and not a CPO.

Huh, maybe not. KBB says that's at the low end of a dealer price for a PP GTI S. Stick or DSG? Options?

It's a stick and as base model as you can get. Like I said, it's supposed to have the performance package, but I won't know if that's true until I can see the car's papers in person. Mostly, I'm trying to figure out if there are ways to tell if those 19k miles were hard driving and the dude just dumped it or what, since it's not a CPO.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I suggest you price a brand new one with the SCCA membership.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Mr Yuck posted:

It's a stick and as base model as you can get. Like I said, it's supposed to have the performance package, but I won't know if that's true until I can see the car's papers in person. Mostly, I'm trying to figure out if there are ways to tell if those 19k miles were hard driving and the dude just dumped it or what, since it's not a CPO.

Even a CPO won't tell you that. If you have a photo look at the gti badge. If it's red then it has pp unless someone replaced the badges which is unlikely.

I still wouldn't buy it. There are new 16s in the 21-22k range

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
:argh:

gently caress California roads! In the 8 months I've had my S3 I've already had one flat, and over 10 rocks pummel my windshield on the way to work (~40 mile commute)

Today on the way home I somehow managed to blow out TWO tires at once, and am finally home after waiting 2 hours for a tow :argh:

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Wicaeed posted:

gently caress California roads! In the 8 months I've had my S3 I've already had one flat, and over 10 rocks pummel my windshield on the way to work (~40 mile commute)

Today on the way home I somehow managed to blow out TWO tires at once, and am finally home after waiting 2 hours for a tow :argh:

You haven't memorized the pot holes on your commute yet?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Kramdar posted:

You haven't memorized the pot holes on your commute yet?

I'm still dodging this one pot hole on my way to work that they filled in three weeks ago.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Wicaeed posted:

Running 20s with 30 series tires? Or just don't have the ability to dodge?

If you want potholes, try driving where it snows, thaws, refreezes, snows again, and then the plows yank out foot deep holes in the road.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

Running 20s with 30 series tires? Or just don't have the ability to dodge?

If you want potholes, try driving where it snows, thaws, refreezes, snows again, and then the plows yank out foot deep holes in the road.

Nah, 19s with 35 series, but I feel you.

It's not so much the potholes as it is the blue collar work trucks that don't give two fucks to secure their loads properly.

That and the invisible people chucking rocks as my windshield :colbert:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I've got a Carista bluetooth ODB2 adapter coming so I can clear my misfire CEL change around a few settings. Anyone have one? I keep on thinking about getting a VAG-COM but I'm getting rid of the GTI in a year or so and it seems like overkill.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Residency Evil posted:

I've got a Carista bluetooth ODB2 adapter coming so I can clear my misfire CEL change around a few settings. Anyone have one? I keep on thinking about getting a VAG-COM but I'm getting rid of the GTI in a year or so and it seems like overkill.

There is also the OBD11 that is only 60 bucks for the full version. It lets you do everything a vag-com can.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

veedubfreak posted:

There is also the OBD11 that is only 60 bucks for the full version. It lets you do everything a vag-com can.

I looked at that but I have no android devices. Are there any super cheap ones that'd work? Still, it'd be kind of nice not to have another gadget cluttering things up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Residency Evil posted:

I looked at that but I have no android devices. Are there any super cheap ones that'd work? Still, it'd be kind of nice not to have another gadget cluttering things up.

People buy new phones every year, you should be able to get a used one for next to nothing.