Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

TOOT BOOT posted:

Same here. I'm not even sure I'd believe 40 hours.

A friend of mine is supporting his sister's studies and their sick father, and he's hitting fairly close to 100 hours a week.

e: Actually, now that I think about it, closer to 80, 100 hours is doing literally nothing else but locking yourself up in a room and coding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

my dad posted:

Actually, now that I think about it, closer to 80, 100 hours is doing literally nothing else but locking yourself up in a room and coding.

That's literally what Tarn is doing.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

my dad posted:

A friend of mine is supporting his sister's studies and their sick father, and he's hitting fairly close to 100 hours a week.

I'm just saying at the rate changes to get made to the game I think Toady just works when he feels like it which isn't anywhere close to 100 hours a week.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

TOOT BOOT posted:

I'm just saying at the rate changes to get made to the game I think Toady just works when he feels like it which isn't anywhere close to 100 hours a week.

Cool story, man.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
You heard him, he doesn't even use version control. No one's saying it's an efficient hundred hours.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
im imagining that actually looking at df code would be something rather terrifying to behold

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007

Tiler Kiwi posted:

im imagining that actually looking at df code would be something rather terrifying to behold

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I remember a goon mentioning that he checked out Liberal Crime Squad's code, and it was a absolute horror show.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

my dad posted:

I remember a goon mentioning that he checked out Liberal Crime Squad's code, and it was a absolute horror show.

Tarn's got vision but whatever he's doing to pursue it is the subject matter of a thousand software engineering textbooks.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
I'd be interested in seeing an ullillillia vs Toady code jam.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Anyone read the FOTF reply? The next big release sounds insane, apparently you'll be able to embark on a cosmic eggshell fragment with your procedurally generated race.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
having terrain be a literal giant cosmic eggshell wouldnt even be that difficult to implement since he already has obsessively put in material definitions for a lot of dumb poo poo already

Kallev
Nov 16, 2014

Tiler Kiwi posted:

having terrain be a literal giant cosmic eggshell wouldnt even be that difficult to implement since he already has obsessively put in material definitions for a lot of dumb poo poo already

That interviewer got Tarn on that, with the cactus density. It is kind of a weird area though really- a lot of the great old myths and stories involve weapons of some special material. Like, not just any sword can kill this guy, you need star metal or some junk. So the game has to know why that material is special I guess, and it makes sense that you include material properties for your run of the mill stuff too. Although it does lead to some pretty rad stuff like how adamantine would conduct sound at the speed of light, from what I recall. Someone on the Bay12 forums did a full :spergin: on adamantine properties.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

TOOT BOOT posted:

The game's updates carry the things that worked, not all the dead ends explored along the way. Nor is it easy to see existing things that have to be changed to support something new, but remain functionally the same themselves.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
It's not a good idea to peer too closely at sorcerers' workflows. See things unfit for decent people.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

Nor is it easy to see existing things that have to be changed to support something new, but remain functionally the same themselves.

This is really so freaking true.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Subjunctive posted:

Nor is it easy to see existing things that have to be changed to support something new, but remain functionally the same themselves.

Not an emptyquote.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

SniperWoreConverse posted:

It's not a good idea to peer too closely at sorcerers' workflows. See things unfit for decent people.

Well, based on The Wizard's Guide to Self Control that's sort of what I expected.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Wizards with self control?

I don't think they have any.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

IAmTheRad posted:

Wizards with self control?

I don't think they have any.
That's the joke; I don't have the image, but The Wizard's Guide to Self-Control is a short, but masterfully written, book concerning the worthlessness of self-control. Also summarized as "A Wizard's Guide to Self-Control: Don't."

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Its only passably written. :colbert:

Regardless, the dwarf that wrote it was just an rear end in a top hat that liked writing books on his values and challenging people to foot races.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

darthbob88 posted:

That's the joke; I don't have the image, but The Wizard's Guide to Self-Control is a short, but masterfully written, book concerning the worthlessness of self-control. Also summarized as "A Wizard's Guide to Self-Control: Don't."
Bookdump!

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Oh my god

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Such excellent poetry! Never before have better words been said! Painting an accurate depiction of image boards into somebodies mind!

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
I can't wait until dfhack is stable.

moot4king
Oct 9, 2012
Pillbug

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Kallev posted:

. Although it does lead to some pretty rad stuff like how adamantine would conduct sound at the speed of light, from what I recall. Someone on the Bay12 forums did a full :spergin: on adamantine properties.

Do you have a link to that? I would like to read that.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Just getting back into this after almost 2 years. Is there anyway to grow garden vegetables? I have some, but the only option I have is to cook them, which unless I'm mistaken doesn't supply seeds. The wiki only says something like "I guess I should add this info later"

Kallev
Nov 16, 2014

Johnny Aztec posted:

Do you have a link to that? I would like to read that.

Here you go. Later in the thread, Da Vinci gets into all sorts of material properties for just about everything, but that one post highlights the funny bits. For example, adamantine instruments would apparently produce vibrations that would sever your fingers when you played.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kallev posted:

Although it does lead to some pretty rad stuff like how adamantine would conduct sound at the speed of light, from what I recall. Someone on the Bay12 forums did a full :spergin: on adamantine properties.

What practical applications would this have for gameplay

could I have my dwarves bang morse code on adamantine tubes for long distance communcation

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Tunicate posted:

Bookdump!

I love that the game managed to generate a children's book. A pretty good one by the sounds of it, too.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
Wait so does the puke poem actually make people puke or was that something that just happened to happen?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

The sad truth is that the real cause was probably a bowl injury, yeah. Art can't do that.

Not yet.

I mean it, the magic system is going to be mad as balls.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

scamtank posted:

The sad truth is that the real cause was probably a bowl injury, yeah. Art can't do that.

Not yet.

I mean it, the magic system is going to be mad as balls.

Never eat food from a damaged bowl.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

I hope there is a magic spell that has someones teeth jump out of their mouth then try to kill them.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

counterfeitsaint posted:

Just getting back into this after almost 2 years. Is there anyway to grow garden vegetables? I have some, but the only option I have is to cook them, which unless I'm mistaken doesn't supply seeds. The wiki only says something like "I guess I should add this info later"

Garden vegetables only grow outside and will only grow if the biome allows it. You can tell if a biomes is proper for it if it has plants to forage. If you see a big plain of grass but no foragables the veggies wont grow.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
https://twitter.com/Bay12Games/status/716732334259642370

Some day, the elephants and carp of the past will return.

Some day. :smith:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Hihohe posted:

Garden vegetables only grow outside and will only grow if the biome allows it. You can tell if a biomes is proper for it if it has plants to forage. If you see a big plain of grass but no foragables the veggies wont grow.

But how do you grow them? Or is it simply a forage only thing?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

counterfeitsaint posted:

But how do you grow them? Or is it simply a forage only thing?

Put a farm plot in the proper spot (muddy soil, outside, correct biome) and they'll show up as options to plant just like anything else. The seeds can be obtained from any process besides cooking - eating, processing, pressing, whatever (each crop can have different things done with it) and I think they can also be bought from caravans. For the most part, they're not really any more useful than underground crops are though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
The benefit is pretty anemic once you have a legendary dining room, opulent bedrooms, artifacts everywhere, etc. Hey, Shithead #35 likes onions and this barf roast has onions in it to complement the barf and bat blood. But I understand the need to build gigantic expanses of walls to protect useless farms.