Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Grey, when it comes time to name Gary Grigsby's Grey Hunter Jr. please make sure to have your wife double check your spelling of whatever you name you put on the birth certificate.

Always good advice for anyone, really.

pthighs fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arraxis
Jul 10, 2012
Finally caught up. Glad to see that the Kumano hasn't been horribly damaged yet and is just having fun picking on freighters with her buddies. It was also really nice to see the Kido Butai annihilate a few things. Now we just need a decisive battle against America and the war will be over by Christmas.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

There are multiple ineffective raids on our ships in Palembang.

This worries me for a second, but we manage to bring all three down by the combat replay.

The Kido Butai have one last going away present.

As does the mini Butai.

Makkasar is now ours.

Changsha continues to take lives.

We do a lot of damage on the coast – they can't hold out long here.

We are making some good advances now, I'm still behind schedule, but at least we're going forward.

This should trickle up – we did some good damage to that force.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Those Greek boats are a long way from home.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Any plans to advance in Burma? According to historical timetables you have a month to reach Mandalay, and there's a lot of jungle to get through just to reach the Salween river from Thailand, and then it's still a long march to the bases on the Irrawaddy.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The Kido Butai find a passenger liner. Its loaded with troops and its not going to make it to a safe port with that much damage.

The enemy make some more fruitless attacks on our ships.

We hit Batavia, but the men need to rest and reorganise.

We do take another base though.

Sigh, time to rest here again.

The coastal clean up continues.

Another day of minor advances.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
As I mentioned in chat, please put the monthly updates into OP.

Thanks.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Grey when those planes on the Kido Butai are damaged as well as any other planes on carriers are damaged, do they remain damaged until the ships go into port or are they repaired at sea. I am guessing on land they get repaired but I am wondering what it is like for carrier planes?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

koolkevz666 posted:

Grey when those planes on the Kido Butai are damaged as well as any other planes on carriers are damaged, do they remain damaged until the ships go into port or are they repaired at sea. I am guessing on land they get repaired but I am wondering what it is like for carrier planes?

Damaged planes do get repaired while underway, though I guess there's a chance for each damaged plane to get destroyed instead. Carrier repairs are effectively free, but they only happen on relatively undamaged ships.

Also, Grey, to call back to my previous post - can you outline your strategic thinking for the immediate future? What is there to achieve for you now?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

At this time, I'm going to secure the oil of Java and Sumatra, I've got more troops incoming to Singapore, but we won't see them for weeks, as they have to land at Johore, then march south.

Once Singapore falls, That force will be shipped up to Rangoon region - I'm hoping to have taken Moulmien by then.

In China, its a job of pushing the Chinese forces north and holding the line, I'm clearing the areas out with massive force - its not going to be a quick war, but I don't want to leave odd units behind - I'm going to take and hold the whole country.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The Mitchells get a hit today.

I love finding random Allied convoys.

I chase down another of those annoying stacks in central China – its a heavy days fighting, but most of our losses are damaged while most of the enemy are destroyed.

Its going to be hard for the Chinese to replace this many destroyed squads.

Chinese losses are mounting once more. Ships are moving troops to their next wave of minor bases, as well as more support for the invasion of Java.

That ship must have been damaged a good while ago.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
What are the ingame forces that are stopping Grey, or any IJN player, from simply abandoning Burma as a whole, and simply arranging a larger naval invasion and landing in what would be Bangledesh? Wouldnt that solve the issue of supplies and logistics across the mountains?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Gaj posted:

What are the ingame forces that are stopping Grey, or any IJN player, from simply abandoning Burma as a whole, and simply arranging a larger naval invasion and landing in what would be Bangledesh? Wouldnt that solve the issue of supplies and logistics across the mountains?

I guess it's technically possible to make a salient this way... But you won't be able to do an amphibious assault against a major base, and without that you won't be able to steal enough supplies to keep your troopers alive and going forward. I don't think you can pull off an amphibious invasion of Bengal without being able to capture Calcutta.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The RAF planes in and around Calcutta would have a field day.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Palembang was lightly defended, is that normal? I know human players can cheese Palembang and build up lots of forts and hold it a long time with it's native supply, but does the AI decently defend it?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Grey Hunter posted:

At this time, I'm going to secure the oil of Java and Sumatra, I've got more troops incoming to Singapore, but we won't see them for weeks, as they have to land at Johore, then march south.

Once Singapore falls, That force will be shipped up to Rangoon region - I'm hoping to have taken Moulmien by then.

In China, its a job of pushing the Chinese forces north and holding the line, I'm clearing the areas out with massive force - its not going to be a quick war, but I don't want to leave odd units behind - I'm going to take and hold the whole country.

No Australia or India or Ceylon? Oh well.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

CannonFodder posted:

Palembang was lightly defended, is that normal? I know human players can cheese Palembang and build up lots of forts and hold it a long time with it's native supply, but does the AI decently defend it?

Not really. The AI doesn't know enough to do the proper concentration of forces that would make trying to take Palembang difficult.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

It does take planning to fortify Palemborg. Normally the troops are scattered, so it doesn't happen much with the AI.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Gaj posted:

This happens in PvP quite a bit. Really it depends on how the Allied player has extended their forces and what resources the Japanese player devotes.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

How far into India can a player get before those reinforcement hellarmies spawn? You know, the same ones Australia gets if you get too close to Sydney, or the US gets if you land in California.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

We bomb Changsha to keep the pressure up.

We smack the Chinese around some more.

Just surrender already!

These guys hold out by dint of fortifications alone – tomorrow they are shock attacked!

Dull day, but things are moving.

Our damaged ships seem to be randomly sinking. Well, not randomly, but they are all succumbing to damage at the same time.

I'm ordering fresh troops to Singapore to help win the battle, but it will take time, as they have to land at Johore Batau and march along – all other routes take them through the bloody Singapore minefield!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

This little git has been disrupting my task force pathing, so I hunt him down.

The carriers find a couple more ships to sink.

We land at another Sumatran base.

The shock attack takes Bandoeng.

A small task force arrives in the New Hebrides, the Allies don't like this.

We see the B-26's for the first time.

They can't stop the invasion of Luganville.

A couple more nice invasions, but the Allies have ships out in the Dutch East Indies, and my invasion fleets are getting panicky.
The Allied base points drop by a good amount, lets see if this is a minor blip or not.

Another kill!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hey there, Myoko, I recognize you from various bote-based vidjagames.

I hope the Furutaka is staying safe.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

We pick off another enemy ship.

There are only few defenders at Luganville, so I'll shock attack them tomorrow.

I wish these smaller units would hurry up and just surrender.

Okay, maybe this was overkill.

Another base falls to our troops.

The Luganville battery is effective.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The M1917/8 (GPF) was the predecessor to the M1A1 Long Tom. I assume they've mashed them together for simplicity. Pretty big guns for shooting little ships.

The Luckenbach line is having a rough week.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You should send the carriers out to do some hunting while there is still time, imo.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

You should send the carriers out to do some hunting while there is still time, imo.

Yeah, their on a refuel mission - I took Pelembelang and other bases just the wrong side of their fuel limits annoyingly.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

We land more troops at Tarakan, but our ships take a few hits from the defensive guns. Those bloody 120mm's!

A Dutch sub sallies forth and torpedoes one of our ships.

I moved some planes down to Palembang – they show that the allies are still reinforcing Singapore. The bastards.

We continue to attack at Batavia.

Tarakan finally falls, but its cost us a good few ships and some time.

Our ships take hits at Luganville as well.

The battle for Changsha grinds on.

We took another base!

Moving on! Nothing to see here!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That's without the sub hit either.

Stop getting all your boats sunk already, jeez.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
So, to someone who's not acquainted with the mechanics of this game, how is the battle of Changsha looking for Grey? Good, bad, pyrrhic victory? Can the chinese last another few weeks, months?

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 31, 2016

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Frionnel posted:

So, to someone who's not acquainted with the mechanics of this game, how is the battle of Changsha looking for Grey? Good, bad, pyrrhic victory? Can the chinese last another few weeks, months?

Grey will win, but it may take a few weeks, as he has to rest his troops regularly and can't attack every day to keep fatigue and disruption manageable. A big determiner is something that is not immediately available for us to see - how much supply the Chinese troops have. If they run low they will be overrun within a few days. Otherwise they can probably last awhile, since they get some benefits for defending a city (I can't remember the exact terrain type of Changsha) and from their forts. Further attacks will reduce their forts though, especially if Grey has some combats engineers in his forces.

Grey is also bleeding his forces a bit by shock attacking when the enemy is still in no immediate danger of being overrun.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Drone posted:

How far into India can a player get before those reinforcement hellarmies spawn? You know, the same ones Australia gets if you get too close to Sydney, or the US gets if you land in California.

From memory the trigger line runs E-W one hex south of Karachi so basically all of it.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Saros posted:

From memory the trigger line runs E-W one hex south of Karachi so basically all of it.

This link says it's at Delhi.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Aren't you supposed to run a huge positive K/D in China to just break even as Axis?

Loggie
Apr 29, 2009

Bip Roberts posted:

Aren't you supposed to run a huge positive K/D in China to just break even as Axis?

If by KD you mean destroyed combat squads then yes you need to destroy a to of combat squads. But that's mostly a function of how few replacements for combat squads that the allies get in the Chinese theatre because Chinese supply is garbage.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

So I've never used replenishment TFs although this time around I might need to until Australia gets enough fuel. How exactly do they work? Do I just load oilers with fuel and have them in the same hex as the TFs I want fueled?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Bip Roberts posted:

Depends on how you mean it. Points wise, Chinese squads are worth half the points value of the Japanese.

In terms of being able to replace and sustain casualties - the Chinese have a very low replenishment rate of six new squads added to their pool each day, which can be easily outpaced by the Japanese. However -the Chinese get a free replacement division every time one of theirs gets destroyed in the field. So if the Japanese destroy many divisions, they will probably lag behind the Chinese in terms of army reinforcements, paradoxically. Unfortunately it's not always possible or practical to avoid wiping out Chinese units. On the other hand, in my experience the Chinese are very bad at bringing their reinforcements to battle.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

More troops land in Java.

We take another base I have no chance of spelling! This one produces oil though!

The Allies send in wave after wave of planes over Luganville.

We see our first Liberators as they bomb our troops.

We take another minor Chinese base after weeks of marching.

Time to advance on Naning.

Two more bases fall, but they are all minor ones.

Yeah! Its time to see how far behind I am!

Well, yes. I want to be the yellow line, I and the blue line. Then again, this graph only really matters in three years time....

Although the rate is picking up a bit now, we are still behind here.

This is where the problem is. The fact that I have troops tied down in Singapore means that I've not taken a very valuable base, and I've not been able to push north to Rangoon, taking that. Basically, Singapore is holding be back! Aprils plans are to take the base, but it'll take most of the month to move the troops to the right area.

Lets get onto the good stuff! Although the attacks on Singapore cost me some planes, we're still well bellow the losses of the last game.

The top pilots chart hasn't changed much.

Amazingly, we still have a good pool of aircraft! This is a good thing, and will really help me later on. As the allies, I was quite often dry of the important things.

And here is the cause of death.

I've not hurt the Allies as much as I could, but then again, this is me and my aggressive attacks of the last game.

Guess what, the AI has lost a lot less ships than I did. But then again, the fog of war is the opposite way around, and a lot more Japanese ships are still afloat.

Me no Pearl Harbor good.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
yo this is a fun LP to read, well organized and such.

is there a good summary of some of the game mechanics in play? not so much how combat and stuff works, but just the weird simulationist stuff that gets mentioned like the huge torpedo dud rate or the "california death stacks" or other scripting behaviors like how the USSR/China behave and how the game reacts to absurdities like "oh Japan conquered India what the gently caress" or what have you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Java is going down. Of course, now I think about it, some of these troops could have helped at Singapore. They are getting their own wave, but its still on the way. Oh well.

The RAF come out in force. They get no hits though.

Merak falls quickly to our men.

Batavia holds out, but it can't hold out like this for long.

These guys were supposed to have pulled back.

The Kidobutai has refuelling and is nearly ready to head out again.. Shame Palembang is to far upriver for carriers to reach!
I realise I have a ton of political points, and reassign some commanders. Singapore, Java and Changsha all get better leaders.