Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jabby
Oct 27, 2010

To be honest it's got to the point where reducing strain on the NHS is just propping up a badly failing system that is rapidly becoming very unsafe. Between the new contract, the capping of locum pay and the mounting deficit something is going to give soon.

We've already reached the point where managers are regularly putting lives at risk by deliberately under-staffing to save money. Doing an on-call shift for a lot of doctors means doing your work and the work of the other doctor that should be there. But Trusts are at the point now where they would rather not have a doctor on-call than pay them the going rate, and just let patients take the risk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
A lot of the public services are being criminally understaffed, same with the police where some parts of Scotland are horribly overworked with too little people and some other places just have nothing to do apparently that they just close up early and call it a day.

It's almost like Britain needs new people who are actually good at their job like say, I dunno, people who aren't from Britain that are already trained and wouldn't be spending months to train? :confused:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

thespaceinvader posted:

Presumably he thinks there will be a large enough rebellion for a no confidence vote or for a supply bill to fail.

I'm not expecting a no confidence vote: I'm expecting an election due to the combination of the government's tiny majority, the enormous divisions within the party and the fact of David Cameron's upcoming retirement from being Prime Minister.

We've already seen in the Sunday Trading Act that the government's majority is too small to pass even the most mildly controversial legislation. Added to that is the looming EU referendum, the most divisive subject possible for the Conservatives and one on which most Tory MP's seem to disagree with the Cabinet view. Added to THAT is David Cameron's declaration that he'll be stepping down soon, which has triggered an arms race among the rivals to succeed him. Things are very, very much less stable than they may appear right now.

If the Out vote wins the referendum, I expect things to get incredibly messy and the government will disintegrate in a frenzy of recriminations and bitterness. Result: early election.

If the In vote wins, I expect Cameron will face a leadership challenge shortly afterwards (furious Eurosceptic MP's getting their revenge) and the winner will quickly go to the polls to affirm their legitimacy.

Either way, I fully expect a fresh general election within 12 months, which is kind of regrettable, because I don't think Labour's ready for it yet.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Yeah, I don't see an election any time in the next 2 years returning anything but another vote in favour of the Tories, or a tie at best. Major central government problems are still being blamed on Labour's legacy or on individual Tories, while many local problems that are still in fact Whitehall's fault are being blamed on councils.

Basically I think the Tories have successfully infected the voting public with this idea:

Praseodymi posted:

DOING SOMETHING IS BETTER THAN DOING NOTHING. TOUGH DECISIONS ETC.

It's strange how the government seems to try the same poo poo solutions to every problem. There was an Adam Curtis (?) documentary which drew parallels between our handling of the global financial crisis and Afghanistan, ie. rather than attempt to solve the systemic corruption that led to the problem, try to prop it up and hope it fixes itself.

Sure they're bad, but they're so close to fixing everything, honest! If you let Labour in now, they'll just drop the ball and then you'll be sorry. Can't even eat a sandwich etc

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Also: Corbyn.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
For the last time 'flaps, we don't want another Blair. I'd rather see this country burn than lock it in to a de facto one-party neoliberal hell.

e/ loving :laffo:, N E O L I B E R A L is on a word filter now? Thanks Lowtax.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Apr 2, 2016

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Blame the american election.

What's on the word-filter now then? I know that cuck and cuckservative are, and i think Jeb was at some point, neoliberal is a staple of this thread though I'm not sure how we'll survive without that

e: well that's confusing.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
hth

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
I'm a ne0liberal

Zephro fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Apr 2, 2016

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Luckily there is no racism in the UK, only common-sense reasonable concern about immigration's effect on hard working families and the purity of glorious british culture and the existence of our people and a future for white children, so talk of the "n-word" should have no ambiguity.

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

I'm so confused. Is there a list of filtered words now? Is the filtered word oval office?

Edit: I guess not

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

FinalGamer posted:

It's almost like Britain needs new people who are actually good at their job like say, I dunno, people who aren't from Britain that are already trained and wouldn't be spending months to train? :confused:

Unfortunately we cannot import our government from overseas.

Fun, fun, fun as the Tory Exit campaign try to get the NHS on side by saying that paying the EU is why there's no money for the NHS, and not because Tories are repellent scum who would steal the last stale crust from a starving child if they thought they could sell it.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jedit posted:

Unfortunately we cannot import our government from overseas

Well we could, :hitler: had a jolly old try!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Green Wing posted:

I'm so confused. Is there a list of filtered words now? Is the filtered word oval office?

Edit: I guess not

Try quoting people's posts to see what the word-filter's concealing.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Pistol_Pete posted:

I'm not expecting a no confidence vote: I'm expecting an election due to the combination of the government's tiny majority, the enormous divisions within the party and the fact of David Cameron's upcoming retirement from being Prime Minister.

We've already seen in the Sunday Trading Act that the government's majority is too small to pass even the most mildly controversial legislation. Added to that is the looming EU referendum, the most divisive subject possible for the Conservatives and one on which most Tory MP's seem to disagree with the Cabinet view. Added to THAT is David Cameron's declaration that he'll be stepping down soon, which has triggered an arms race among the rivals to succeed him. Things are very, very much less stable than they may appear right now.

If the Out vote wins the referendum, I expect things to get incredibly messy and the government will disintegrate in a frenzy of recriminations and bitterness. Result: early election.

If the In vote wins, I expect Cameron will face a leadership challenge shortly afterwards (furious Eurosceptic MP's getting their revenge) and the winner will quickly go to the polls to affirm their legitimacy.

Either way, I fully expect a fresh general election within 12 months, which is kind of regrettable, because I don't think Labour's ready for it yet.

How else are you expecting an election to be called though? Unless there's a no-confidence vote that succeeds, or a supply bill that fails, the next election is in 4 years.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Not sure if anyone's heard these latest theories about Farage's post-referendum plans, supposedly wanting to do a Corbyn but for the right wing:

quote:

UKIP leader Nigel Farage says he is frustrated he cannot make sweeping changes to the way the party makes policy and recruits members.
He told BBC Radio 4's Today programme he wants to slash joining fees from £30 to £10 and let members vote online to decide policy.
Mr Farage said: "I'm frustrated that this idea which has been around for a long time hasn't been put into action.
"And frankly I don't have the power and ability to do this myself."
Leading figures in UKIP suspect he is set to rebrand the party after the EU referendum in June.
Some also believe he could try to launch a new political movement.

'Sense of grievance'

The UKIP leader is an admirer of the anti-establishment activist Beppe Grillo whose Five Star Movement has become a major force in Italian politics, driven in part by engaging with voters online.
Some of Mr Farage's colleagues suspect he could use voter data collected by the Leave.EU referendum campaign and funds from its backer Arron Banks to embark on a fresh political project.
Mr Banks himself has been quoted suggesting UKIP could be rebranded or disbanded.
One UKIP politician said: "That is clearly the strand of thinking at the top.
"They're not particularly interested in winning the referendum and they'd rather replicate the SNP scenario which is lose the primary objective of the party but create such a sense of grievance you win in the polls and do rather well."
Another said rumours of a move of this sort had circulated for months, and added: "It would be very interesting how UKIP supporters would take a view of Nigel planning to disband the party with a clickocracy."

Leadership contest?

A recent report suggesting there could be a secret post-referendum plan has prompted intense discussions between senior UKIP figures about the possibility of radical change.
Sources close to Mr Farage insist there are no such plans, but acknowledge the party's structure and direction is a constant source of debate.
His critics believe he is planning an upheaval to protect his position after the referendum, which will be held on 23 June on whether the UK will remain a member of the European Union or not.
They accuse him of seeking a flood of new members, like those who flocked to vote for Jeremy Corbyn during Labour's leadership election, to strengthen his support.
Many in UKIP, including some vigorous supporters of Mr Farage, think a leadership contest after the referendum is inevitable.
Internal tensions were heightened after the former deputy chairwoman Suzanne Evans was suspended.
Responding to the story, Ms Evans tweeted: "Policy can't be made at the click of a mouse. It's far, far more complex than counting a set of instant opinions."

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Prince John posted:

quote:

UKIP leader Nigel Farage says he is frustrated he cannot make sweeping changes to the way the party makes policy and recruits members.
He told BBC Radio 4's Today programme he wants to slash joining fees from £30 to £10 and let members vote online to decide policy.

I can foresee no problems with this suggestion.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

KayTee posted:

Manifesto McManifestoface

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
The most disappointing thing about that poll was the old farts that set it up not appreciating that RRV RRS It's Bloody Cold Out Here would have made a much better and more inspirational hook than whatever dead Arctic explorer they'll inevitably name it after.

Clearly no Banks fans on the NERC.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
Hey, guy in thread (sorry, terrible with names) who went to the Civil Service assessment centre, how did it go? Did you get the results yet?

I kinda feel sorry for the Civil Service. Judging by how my assessment was, what the exercises were and what questions I was asked, as an institution it's pretty left-leaning. Maybe it's difficult to be right-leaning if you actually have to calculate the effect on people of Tory policies, write reports on it, then see them be brushed aside. I think I couldn't handle the job of actually implementing Tory policies.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

namesake posted:

Manifesto McManifestoface

That reminds me of this incredibly vacuous article in GQ Magazine - Corbyn is Labour's Boaty McBoatFace.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
GQ Magazine is everybodies toilet paper.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

KayTee posted:

Hmm do you think people might take advantage of a low cost membership fee and an open leadership vote to lumber that party with a bad leader?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

OwlFancier posted:

I once had a kid tell me his dad was bob marley and that he was assasinated by the government.

Yeah that's bullshit we all know Danny Baker killed Bob Marley

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Someone on the BBC news this morning described Osbourne's budget as "[being] creepily obsessed with punishing disabled people" :drat:

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

I kinda feel sorry for the Civil Service. Judging by how my assessment was, what the exercises were and what questions I was asked, as an institution it's pretty left-leaning.

You say that, my dad works in Visas and Immigration and is the most right-wing Thatcherite tory I've ever met, bearing in mind he's an immigrant himself. though he's from Australia, so that probably explains the right-wing part

e: actually you're right, apparently everyone else in the office is old-labour or green

DarkMalfunction fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Apr 2, 2016

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Pissflaps posted:

Hmm do you think people might take advantage of a low cost membership fee and an open leadership vote to lumber that party with a bad leader?

quote:

and let members vote online to decide policy.

quote:

policy

The answer to your question is no

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

The answer to your question is no

So UKIP won't be lumbered with a bad leader in the same way as Labour were?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Change the record. You are loving boring

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
UKIP will be lumbered with a bad leader due to being a mishmash of people from all over the political spectrum whose only uniting features are being anti-establishment, then chasing a good part of the left half away by making public statements that the gays cause flooding.

Allowing online voting on policies won't make their leader any worse. It will probably make them the party that wants to bring back hanging and allow shops to put up 'no coloureds' signs again though. Even though Farage is anti death penalty he has said that he'd bow to democratic pressure from his membership on it if they said so.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Serotonin posted:

Change the record. You are loving boring

I'd be concerned if you found me interesting.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Prince John posted:

That reminds me of this incredibly vacuous article in GQ Magazine - Corbyn is Labour's Boaty McBoatFace.

Incredibly popular and a winner despite the intentions of the person/s who nominated him?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

GQ Magazine is everybodies toilet paper.

Naaah. Too glossy. Not enough friction.

Firos posted:

Someone on the BBC news this morning described Osbourne's budget as "[being] creepily obsessed with punishing disabled people" :drat:

Any guesses on where I might find that clip?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

That didn't happen on a scale to make a significant difference in the result.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Prince John posted:

GQ decided that Osborne was the politician of the year. GQ is the last place you should go for political insight.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Gonzo McFee posted:

That didn't happen on a scale to make a significant difference in the result.

Hmm so you don't blame them for the selection of a bad leader I see.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Hmm so you don't blame them for the selection of a bad leader I see.

They didn't elect a bad leader. They elected Jeremy Corbyn.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Gonzo McFee posted:

They didn't elect a bad leader. They elected Jeremy Corbyn.

And you people call me a pedant.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

And you people call me a pedant.

Jeremy Corbyn is a good leader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Pissflaps posted: