Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
Or you can just stamp down massive solar farms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If you keep up with a circuit network as an inventory tracker, you can hook it up to any number of readouts built so you always have one on screen in the base. The most common uses would be where buffer chests fit or where inventory already lives, so that would put coal, science, and rail unloading on the map. Just set up some lights, wire it in, and set your inventory warning.

Blueprints even save wiring and variable settings to just stamp it in any corner you would ever be looking at.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

memy posted:

Yeah, one you unlock them, get a factory or two pumping them out, and you really need accumulators to make it worth it. :v:

The wiki talks about using storage tanks as pseudo-accumulators, which makes no sense to me. Has anyone heard of this before or even tried it out?

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Since you can put hot water into a tank just as easily as oil or petrol, you fill it with hot water, then hook up the output pipe to boilers in case you need energy. Which sort of works because once water is heated, it doesn't stop being hot.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Its usefulness is kind of suspect, because the sum of the idea ends up being you end up with the same amount of steam engines as if you didn't have solar, but you can have less boilers. Oh boy I can save on boilers which are made of dirt and burn dirt.

You save pollution, sure. But you could also just put in battery making equipment before you overhaul your dirty gen system.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I think there are some mods that will alert you when a circuit condition is tripped, so you could set a buffer chest and attach the mod to that and when the buffer chest does X it could alert you that you're running low on coal.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

memy posted:

Power really isn't an issue when you start stamping out gently caress hyueg solar arrays tbh. Worst that'll happen is production slows down at night but never enough to completely brown out your entire factory. You'll be able to keep tabs on your accumulator output, if they dip below 25% I know it's time to either build a new solar array, or add a few more steam engines. I usually opt to do the former.

Also, having buffer chests at your boiler start (I use the red inserter method like that other user posted, where the first line of 14 boilers are fed, and then each parallel line behind that is fed from the first 14 boilers by red inserters [this has a really cool effect of seeing all your inserters mexican wave when they fill boilers up!]) is a surefire way to keep everything running long enough to fix any problems in power. If your coal mines dry up, you should notice due to lack of belt saturation, but hopefully still have plenty of coal in the chests to keep you chugging until you set up a new coal outpost. Solar arrays keep you going steadily in the day, and somewhat into the night.

I've only ever had power problems in my early games of factorio when I was noob. Once you know how to deal with them, it's easy peasy.

Maimgara
May 2, 2007
Chlorine for the Gene-pool.
Regarding the power chat, is there any mods that adds a higher tier power generation? Making all types of factories is fun and challenging, stamping out the same powerplant five more times is a bit boring. Id love a nuclear plant or some other fossil fuel system. I fear the random mods though, Im not looking for a hyper grindy (/GregTech) mod, but something sane.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
So I decided to do the math on burner inserters vs. regular inserters for fueling boilers. One piece of coal has 8 MJ of energy, and lasts for about 20 seconds in a boiler. I found some dude's numbers that say that a burner inserter will move 47 items on one bit of coal - which means an average power consumption of 8.5 kW when fueling a full-speed boiler. A regular inserter, which uses 13 kW for the 1.2 seconds it's actually moving, and 400 W otherwise, averages more like 1.2 kW. Even after taking the reduced efficiency of turning that coal into electricity, it's still more than three times as efficient as a burner inserter.

I guess maybe you could put a burner inserter on the 14th boiler (which doesn't run at 100%) and have it be more efficient? And maybe like the 12th and 13th as well, since you're typically not capping out your power consumption.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Maimgara posted:

Regarding the power chat, is there any mods that adds a higher tier power generation? Making all types of factories is fun and challenging, stamping out the same powerplant five more times is a bit boring. Id love a nuclear plant or some other fossil fuel system. I fear the random mods though, Im not looking for a hyper grindy (/GregTech) mod, but something sane.

The nuclear plant stuff isn't finished yet. The author hasn't put in fuel consumption so if you manage the pipe and pump orgy required to set it up and make one set of fuel rods you'll have 144MW for free forever. Would not currently recommend.

KS_Power is more interesting. It has early tech which really sucks (the wind turbine is particularly awful) but the late game diesel generator and oil burner are great. Combine with the Bergius process to turn coal to oil products on oil poor maps and you can squeak by.

That's about it really. The rest are childish BS or still in progress.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Ok, I get robots now. Thanks for the earlier responses. One question, though. I tried automating robots by having two smart inserters pull construction and logistics robots out of a chest if the amount of robots is under 100. However, robots don't actually go into logistics storage, so this would continue to create robots until the game crashes or the robots take over the world. Is there a way to automate robot construction, and keep the amount of robots in the network under a certain number? Or do I have to just manually disable the inserters so they stop pulling out new robots?

Node fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 2, 2016

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Jabor posted:

So I decided to do the math on burner inserters vs. regular inserters for fueling boilers. One piece of coal has 8 MJ of energy, and lasts for about 20 seconds in a boiler. I found some dude's numbers that say that a burner inserter will move 47 items on one bit of coal - which means an average power consumption of 8.5 kW when fueling a full-speed boiler. A regular inserter, which uses 13 kW for the 1.2 seconds it's actually moving, and 400 W otherwise, averages more like 1.2 kW. Even after taking the reduced efficiency of turning that coal into electricity, it's still more than three times as efficient as a burner inserter.

I guess maybe you could put a burner inserter on the 14th boiler (which doesn't run at 100%) and have it be more efficient? And maybe like the 12th and 13th as well, since you're typically not capping out your power consumption.

if you still feel like doing math, could you compare it with fast inserters? The common wisdom is that fast inserters use more power per movement than regular inserters, but since they move faster, it works out to less power consumed overall.

Node posted:

Ok, I get robots now. Thanks for the earlier responses. One question, though. I tried automating robots by having two smart inserters pull construction and logistics robots out of a chest if the amount of robots is under 100. However, robots don't actually go into logistics storage, so this would continue to create robots until the game crashes or the robots take over the world. Is there a way to automate robot construction, and keep the amount of robots in the network under a certain number? Or do I have to just manually disable the inserters so they stop pulling out new robots?

If you want to add robots to the network, you have to insert them into a roboport, not a chest. I'm not sure if it's possible to check the number of robots in the network for the purposes of using a smart inserter.
But since you never actually lose robots, barring a really bad biter attack, does it really matter? Add however many you want and just don't add more.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
There's a mod called Robotic Combinators which in theory outputs the number robots in your network to a circuit network, but it doesn't work properly, and will sometimes "freeze" and stop updating when you load a saved game.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I am uncharacteristically wasteful in that I usually just point the assembler output into a robot port and let it make logistics robots forever. If you're rate limited by robot frames in an assembler 1 its only one robot every 40 seconds.

A simple production run limiter using the circuit system is a fairly uncomplicated affair and I will probably do that for my color inside the lines game.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Node posted:

As a frame of reference, I have around four thousand robots and it's fine. Most of them are idle at any given point, but they swarm out for large projects and I have around 4-700 of them active moving ore most of the time.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

zedprime posted:

I am uncharacteristically wasteful in that I usually just point the assembler output into a robot port and let it make logistics robots forever.

Actually, you are doing things correctly, but chain a chest in there for extra buffer in case the port fills up.

e: do this for construction robots too

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
If you make 10,000 logistics robots and 10,000 construction robots you should be able to form Voltron for an alternate World Domination Victory

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Node posted:

If you make 10,000 logistics robots and 10,000 construction robots you should be able to form Voltron for an alternate World Domination Victory

I enjoy your views and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Moddington posted:

Actually, you are doing things correctly, but chain a chest in there for extra buffer in case the port fills up.

e: do this for construction robots too

Oh the horror! I play a game with 200 logistics and 300 construction (for the concrete spreading) thinking it's a vast robotic waste. I hope they put in robot upgrades sometime, you know, ones that move faster than an octogenarian with a zimmer frame ;)

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

5,000 of each is my initial target on a new map, you haven't hit the bigtimes until you're well into the six digits.

Seriously people, make lots of robots, their main ingredient is assembly time, and you'll never regret it.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Moddington posted:

5,000 of each is my initial target on a new map, you haven't hit the bigtimes until you're well into the six digits.

Seriously people, make lots of robots, their main ingredient is assembly time, and you'll never regret it.

Seems like a terrible waste though. WTF can you DO with thousands of bots? How many roboports eating power does it take to even store that many.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Well clearly you make hundreds of roboports backed up by tens of thousands of solar panels.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oh my loving god, I love the tank. Yes, it's exactly what I needed to take out all those goddamn hives. Blowing the poo poo out of worms before they are even close enough to hurt me and almost totally ignoring damage regular biters do, smashing through trees.

Now I just need to rearrange my spaghetti factory and try to find a more efficient way of making explosives and shells. Might need to heavily invest in logistics robots...

Speedball fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Apr 2, 2016

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

IME the bottleneck on explosives is that you need sulfur for sulfuric acid, robots won't help much. That said, you don't need shells on the scale that you need chips, that should help.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Solumin posted:

if you still feel like doing math, could you compare it with fast inserters? The common wisdom is that fast inserters use more power per movement than regular inserters, but since they move faster, it works out to less power consumed overall.

Fast inserters are just straight-up better. While they have a higher peak power consumption, they also move faster, to the point where the actual energy-spent-per-item-moved is lower by about 15%.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
What's everyone's favorite world generation settings? I've been stuck in a cycle of restarting for good initial setups for a while :negative:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Eh, I've been working with default settings. Without RSO mod I have had to reset a number of times before I'm satisfied with my starting location. However I'm also working towards speed this time around so certain resource deposits don't quite work for me (no big iron nearby or big coal deposit = automatic restart). With RSO I've been happy with whatever it gave me.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Usually:
  • Iron: Increase frequency, increase size, max richness
  • Copper: Increase frequency, increase size, max richness
  • Coal: either slightly larger or slightly richer, occasionally both.
  • Stone: keep default settings
  • Crude oil: Slightly larger, max richness (don't touch frequency, it'll make oil appear everywhere)
  • Alien hives: Increased richness
Everything else -- water size, terrain segmentation, etc. -- I leave the same. These are kind of "easy mode" settings, but it suits my playstyle and I still have lots of fun, so why not?

A better option would be RSO, of course! I'll try it out sooner or later...

Usually the only factors for choosing a good starting point are: is there iron, copper, coal and stone, all relatively close to each other? Great! Is one of those missing/really far away? Try again. Water will always be nearby so whatever, and nearby trees are basically a new useful bonus.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Jabor posted:

All furnaces use exactly the same amount of energy per unit smelted.

Burner furnaces are 100% efficient, and use all of the joules in the fuel for smelting. The Boiler->Steam Engine chain is 50% efficient, and only turns half the fuel energy into electricity.

That said, don't forget that you can also put efficiency mods into electric furnaces, which makes them superior, energy-consumption-wise.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Electric furnaces feel side gradey until you run out of space in your conventional layout for more coal and are living off of solar power anyway.

I'm 21 hours into my third test game, and at about 40% rocket. The rocket launch part of the game is incredibly tedious. By the time I got it to 10% the game was basically unlosable save by me suicide charging alien nests (which I did with gusto). I kind of understand that it gives you time to play around with your shiny late game toys (destroyers rule), but really I'm just going to leave it open in the background for the next couple hours.

That said I'm still the "blue science is too hard" guy. I managed to get six running, which felt pretty comfortable for tech pace for most of the game, but it was a real struggle to get the whole thing to work smoothly.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

I've never used log bots before and I have the ingredients for blue science packs dumping out at opposite ends of my base, how do I get these jerks to collect poo poo and dump it into factories?

Pound_Coin fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Apr 2, 2016

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Okay, I understand I'm about to make a very bad post by saying what I'm about to say but it's worth trying considering there are a couple smart cookies in this thread and perhaps, just maybe, someone would want to pick this up. I'm not bothering to post this on Factorio's forum because I'd trust a goon before I trust a greg.

I've got a mod idea that I want to say shouldn't be too hard to implement but I honestly don't know. I feel like my biggest problem with the multiplayer in Factorio is that there's not really a good way to do competitive in such a way that 1: a person can't lose hours of work, get mad, and rage quit and 2: handles the persistence of a server that anyone can log into and out of at any moment to play and thus completely gently caress over someone else while they're gone. I think I've got a good idea for how to handle this way better but it will take some work. I can get into more details but I don't want to waste my time typing it all out if there's literally nobody interested in giving it a shot and I am, after all, just making a bad post.

In summary, however, the idea is simply a matter of building your factory to gain resources which you can, in turn, spend to spawn your biter armies inside an "arena" of sorts. Think of it being like Battle Bots but your bots are budgeted by how many resources you're willing to divert away from factory maintenance/improvement and towards winning scheduled battle bot arena matches. In the end, nobody sees or interacts with each other's factory but everyone watches the arena battles. Winners could get resource rewards or just victory points, whatever, we'll figure that out later because the important part is that if you can set up a kind of "proxy war" that your factory is supporting, it sets up for a "meta game" that you can play in multiplayer without requiring actual direct battle which, to me, seems like a competitive type of multiplayer that should be in the final game.

I do dabble in programming (python/bash primarily for work though I've also worked with LUA making SA:MP and JC2:MP mods) but I really don't have the time to pick up and figure out the modding for Factorio. That said, I'd be more than willing to work with someone else to get my idea into production. As far as numbers, balancing, flow (all the design doc bullshit) don't worry, I can take care of all of that (I've done it for actual-released games before.)

So, yeah, I just made a lovely "I have ideas! Someone else make them!" proposal except I'm willing to contribute to the code; I just need someone who can scaffold. Any takers?

Or just do this VV

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Apr 2, 2016

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I want modded huge seas, turning factorio's world into an archipelago with ships (that can have factories, etc) on them with multiple decks that can sail around on the seas using different propulsion methods (steam engine, diesel engine, eventually nuclear propulsion)
plus I want engines (steam engines etc) to provide 'shaft torque' and you have to direct this shaft torque into dynamos or electric generations etc or into the shaft on your ship
THEN I want a system like the train stops for the ships so you can tell them where to go

THEN I want pvp multiplayer where the weapons are things like cannons and such so people sail up beside enemy islands and broadside them etc and fight at sea with broadsides blowing the hell out of the other guy's ship

anyhow someone make this plesase.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Baloogan posted:

I want modded huge seas, turning factorio's world into an archipelago with ships (that can have factories, etc) on them with multiple decks that can sail around on the seas using different propulsion methods (steam engine, diesel engine, eventually nuclear propulsion)
plus I want engines (steam engines etc) to provide 'shaft torque' and you have to direct this shaft torque into dynamos or electric generations etc or into the shaft on your ship
THEN I want a system like the train stops for the ships so you can tell them where to go

THEN I want pvp multiplayer where the weapons are things like cannons and such so people sail up beside enemy islands and broadside them etc and fight at sea with broadsides blowing the hell out of the other guy's ship

anyhow someone make this plesase.

Ships would be cool as hell. I wouldn't mind bridges for my transport belts and trains either, I've had a few instances where those would come in handy. Plus, then we get water aliens! Destroyers! Cruisers! Battleships!

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I want pirate raids, where you sneak onto someone else's island and steal a bunch of high tech products from them, like red and blue circuits

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Ratzap posted:

Once you have advanced oil processing, build 2 small pumps, some storage tanks and a couple of bits of red/green wire. Put a pump on the output of your heavy and light storage tanks, click the wire on the tank then on the pump. Click the pump and set the wire condition to heavy or light oil depending on which tank you're doing and > 500 (or some other arbitrary number). Then attach all your cracking factories to the pump output and nowhere else. Walk away because you now never need to come back. Heavy will still go to make lubricant but it it builds up over the number you set it gets cracked. Light gets cracked over the number you set. If you have sufficient cracking capacity (1 heavy 6 light I think it was for 5 refineries) the only time it will back up is when the LPG tanks are full.

you can directly monitor liquids using the circuit network? :psyboom:

I've been filling barrels with liquid , then emptying them back into storage - If the full barrels back up, then storage is full so stop producing the thing.

I generally don't use red/green wire unless I want less than a full stack of something produced (modules, turrets, power suit bits). Are there any other non-smart chest features of the wires?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Zetsubou-san posted:

I generally don't use red/green wire unless I want less than a full stack of something produced (modules, turrets, power suit bits). Are there any other non-smart chest features of the wires?

Right now, circuit networks only interact with smart chests, smart inserters, fluid tanks, electric pumps, combinators and lights, as far as I know. Patch 13.0 will bring in interaction with trains and the power network.
Edit: Apparently offshore pumps can be hooked up as well. I do not know under what circumstances you would ever want to not pump water.

I've mostly only used the networks and combinators to balance out where outputs go, eg turning my stone bricks into concrete, stone walls and electric furnaces at a 100:10:1 ratio, or to set up my oil crackers to only go when there's more than 1k or so of that type of oil (or less than 1k or so petroleum).

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Tenebrais posted:

Right now, circuit networks only interact with smart chests, smart inserters, fluid tanks, electric pumps, combinators and lights, as far as I know. Patch 13.0 will bring in interaction with trains and the power network.
Edit: Apparently offshore pumps can be hooked up as well. I do not know under what circumstances you would ever want to not pump water.

I guess you could use it to switch on/off your steam engines based on how your accumulators are holding up, instead of wiring up a dozen smart inserters to conditionally put coal in the boilers. That's about all I can think of though.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

Node posted:

Ships would be cool as hell. I wouldn't mind bridges for my transport belts and trains either, I've had a few instances where those would come in handy. Plus, then we get water aliens! Destroyers! Cruisers! Battleships!

Giant factory ships and archipelago style maps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
If I hear the red alarm siren one more time I will kill myself.

One more time. I will embrace the sweet release of death and end my life.