Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Rabbit Hill posted:

There was a woman at my workplace who, for 20+ years, had shown up drunk to work, and twice in just the past year(!) was taken away in handcuffs by the police after she had a screaming drunken meltdown in public view. She was also in a position that gave her about maybe 5 hours of actual work a week, and instead of helping out in other departments or initiating projects to take on, when she wasn't drunk, she browsed the web or read at her desk all day and outright verbally refused to do any of that, and no one could/would make her. She was also deeply unpleasant and many of my coworkers were afraid to talk to her, because she could be loudly nasty. She was also nasty to patrons, who had complained about her to administration many times.

I also used to work in a library and while much of that poo poo sounds crazy I'm pretty sure that being deeply unpleasant to coworkers and nasty to patrons is just part of the job description, or at least common enough behavior (especially in the case of anyone who had worked there for over a decade) that I would be surprised if it were remotely fireable, unions or no

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Ras Het posted:

your 👏 bosses 👏 interests 👏 are 👏 not 👏 your 👏 interests 👏

I mean, we are both trying to get money. Not sure about the the smoking trees or loving bitches part. I assume some of them are down with that.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.
I heard this second-hand, but at my old job there was a guy who worked remote and had had poor performance and slow responsiveness for about a year. He then stopped doing any work all together. It turned out he had started a job at a different company, but never put in a notice that he was leaving. It took his (former) manager six months to get HR to "fire" him and stop sending him paychecks.

Someone who had been a manager explained that the HR process for poor performance took about a year of paper work, performance reviews, and meetings to finally bring about D-Day. On Decision Day, the employee was sent home and told to think about whether or not they wanted to keep working there. They could just decide to come back the next day and it started the whole one-year timer all over.

The company was non-union. A bad HR process, is a bad HR process.

On the other hand, they immediately fired the guy who was caught stealing sausages from the cafeteria.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I'm trying to remember a word but can't find it via definition or synonym for it.

The word is used to describe something which is a commonly-referred to word or phrase used by society time and again to explain a bigger or more complex idea or concept. For example, an iceberg refers to something being a lot deeper below the surface than what you can normally see; 'plugging a finger in a leaking dam' refers to desperately hoping something will hold but will eventually break down and flood everything; etc.

I think the word sounds similar to eponymous or apocryphal but it's definitely neither of those words. It's driving me crazy because this is a word I've enjoy using in the past but I'm drawing a complete blank on trying to remember it. :(

Example sentence: the _________ iceberg, the ________ finger in the dam, etc

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Proverbial?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Yes, thank you!

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Epoch?

Edit: beaten and wrong, like a ginger stepchild

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Is there a way to disable Chrome's tab discard feature, but only for specific tabs?

I like the idea of saving memory and it works fine most of the time, there's just a few tabs I keep open in the background that I'd like to stay persistent.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Has anyone here used a Pavlok before? It sounds interesting and potentially useful, but I'm still having a hard time buying its efficacy. The idea is that you shock yourself when you do something you don't want yourself to do: e.g. biting your nails, drinking alcohol, eating ice cream, etc. I think it would help me do things like stop sleeping in and avoid getting into a negative thought spiral, but I wanted to know if anyone else has used it before. Is this actually as useful as it seems? I feel like you could just not zap yourself, and the entire point gets ruined. It's easy to nullify, which worries me.

edit: Plus, you know, the whole "lizard brain" thing. I'm not convinced that shock therapy is that deeply ingrained into our brains.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 31, 2016

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Ras Het posted:

your 👏 boss's 👏 interests 👏 are 👏 not 👏 your 👏 interests 👏

Yeah, this.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

edit: Plus, you know, the whole "lizard brain" thing. I'm not convinced that shock therapy is that deeply ingrained into our brains.

I think the idea is that pain is ingrained into our brains, not shock therapy specifically, but then you can just slap yourself in the face for free instead of spending $150 on that thing

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Pollyanna posted:

Has anyone here used a Pavlok before? It sounds interesting and potentially useful, but I'm still having a hard time buying its efficacy. The idea is that you shock yourself when you do something you don't want yourself to do: e.g. biting your nails, drinking alcohol, eating ice cream, etc. I think it would help me do things like stop sleeping in and avoid getting into a negative thought spiral, but I wanted to know if anyone else has used it before. Is this actually as useful as it seems? I feel like you could just not zap yourself, and the entire point gets ruined. It's easy to nullify, which worries me.

I can't find it right now but I'm pretty sure I skimmed a paper from a bunch of years back that reported on negative reinforcement being highly ineffective if it was voluntary. If you're the one controlling the zaps, it probably won't work.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What sort of electronic device/tool/whatever would run on 500mA of AC power? I'm trying to identify what a AC/AC adapter (which is just a wall transformer I guess) goes to. Output is 12VAC @ 500mA

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Danger Mahoney posted:

What sort of electronic device/tool/whatever would run on 500mA of AC power? I'm trying to identify what a AC/AC adapter (which is just a wall transformer I guess) goes to. Output is 12VAC @ 500mA

Speakers, some old game systems/accessories, clocks, radios, massage pads. It could be a ton of things really. You can do a lot with 6 watts.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Am I allowed to do an "Ask me" thread on my account for someone else?

Like you ask the questions, I ask her and type replies?

She's fully rear end blind with a dog.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

504 posted:

Whatever the rules are, the mods will make an exception for this as long as the OP includes pictures of the dog.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
What's the action movie where one of the characters is really self-aware about the tropes he fits where he's going to die? Like he's a day away from retirement as a police officer, just bought a boat, etc.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

Jewel Repetition posted:

What's the action movie where one of the characters is really self-aware about the tropes he fits where he's going to die? Like he's a day away from retirement as a police officer, just bought a boat, etc.

Lethal Weapon? Mellow Danny Glover being teamed up with psycho Mel Gibson.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

504 posted:

I''m fairly certain that there have been a few past Ask me threads that were second hand. As long as you state upfront that the you're asking someone else a question. For all the worries about the mods around this place, they're actually fairly lenient If you follow the rules.

Worst case scenario, there's another thread in another subforum about the same thing, or goons goon it up, poo poo the bed and the mods have to toxx a lovely thread. Neither of which seem particularly likely given the subject matter.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Apr 1, 2016

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Jewel Repetition posted:

Loaded weapon 1

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

504 posted:

What's rear end blind.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

504 posted:

Pretty sure there have been several threads where people did "ask my grandparents about serving in ww2" using that method without getting into any kind of trouble

That said I'm also pretty sure there are several fully blind people who have their own accounts here and just use the forums themselves, given that braile keyboards and text-to-voice etc. are a thing

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
There is/used to be a blind guy who posted in TFR. He could work on guns by feel and poo poo.

SeaWolf
Mar 7, 2008
Today while walking to mail an important document it slipped out of my pocket and I've completely lost it.
It has my full name, address, social security number, and account information on it.

I've already called the bank and froze the account.
I've called the 3 credit bureaus and placed security freezes on my information.

What else do I need to do, and what else do I need to look out for?

I'm freaking the gently caress out and I can't calm down.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

SeaWolf posted:

Today while walking to mail an important document it slipped out of my pocket and I've completely lost it.
It has my full name, address, social security number, and account information on it.

I've already called the bank and froze the account.
I've called the 3 credit bureaus and placed security freezes on my information.

What else do I need to do, and what else do I need to look out for?

I'm freaking the gently caress out and I can't calm down.

Freezing your bank account was probably unnecessary. I have my bank account setup to text me whenever my account is charged.

Also, most people are honest. Whoever picks a random piece of paper up off the street is more likely to throw it away than decide this is their opportunity to get started in the exciting field of identity theft.

SeaWolf
Mar 7, 2008

Gobbeldygook posted:

Freezing your bank account was probably unnecessary. I have my bank account setup to text me whenever my account is charged.

Also, most people are honest. Whoever picks a random piece of paper up off the street is more likely to throw it away than decide this is their opportunity to get started in the exciting field of identity theft.

It's not my only account so I'm not hosed as in i don't have access to cash so that's good.
And you're right about most people being honest... but if I didn't have bad luck I wouldn't have any kind of luck at all, so things generally don't turn out in my favor... I'd rather not take the chance.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
How do you remove greasy food smell from a backpack?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Kurtofan posted:

Cook spicy food next to the backpack. Spicy and greasy smells cancel each other out.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Kurtofan posted:

IDK, have you tried a washing machine and detergent?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

kedo posted:

What's rear end blind.

It's a terrible affliction where you can't tell heads from asses.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I thought it was where you couldn't find your own rear end with both hands and a flashlight.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
Are marriages performed by ships' captains legitimate, and do airline pilots have the same credentials, and if not why not?

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

Van Dis posted:

Are marriages performed by ships' captains legitimate, and do airline pilots have the same credentials, and if not why not?

My favorite question.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Van Dis posted:

Whether a ship's captain can actually legally marry you depends on the country the ship is registered to, because they set the laws that will be followed when you're at sea. So for instance, a lot of cruise lines have their ships registered in Bermuda now, and the Bermuda laws say the captains can legally perform marriages.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
Follow-up: can the commander of a spaceflight mission perform a divorce. Please respond quickly.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Is there a way to search a tumblr for all the "asks" made by one person that have been responded to?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Van Dis posted:

Follow-up: can the commander of a spaceflight mission perform a divorce. Please respond quickly.

Depends whether you're operating under Earth or moon jurisdiction.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Do Bluetooth speakers ever pickup random fragments of broadcasts?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Van Dis posted:

Ship captains are given the ability to do a number of thing because every ship has a captain, and ship voyages can take years.

Which means to only way to keep a child from being born illegitimate (which in different times and places carried some serious repercussions, such as never legally existing) is if a captain can perform marriages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
This is a long shot, but all the information I've found so far is at best unclear and at worst contradictory so I figured I'd try here.

Does anyone know if I would have to pay VAT on a gift package sent from Sweden to Romania? I've found information that indicates that I do if it's worth more than 45 euros (it is) regardless of origin, I've also found people saying there's no taxes if it's from somewhere in the EU because that's the point of the EU.