Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It seems like something has happened recently to kick VMware into making non-poo poo ways of managing their products

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Thanks Ants posted:

It seems like something has happened recently to kick VMware into making non-poo poo ways of managing their products
Now if only they could make one for managing licenses and keys that actually works and is online more than 50% of the time

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Vulture Culture posted:

Now if only they could make one for managing licenses and keys that actually works and is online more than 50% of the time

If Cisco made a somewhat not-lovely SMARTnet portal, maybe there's hope for VMwawre.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Maybe this is super obvious but why does VMware use E1000 as a default NIC for W2012 VMs? Is it just because its detected OOB? I always install VMware Tools and it installs the VMxnet3 drivers anyway. Should I be using E1000 over VMxnet3 for some reason or is it really no big deal either way?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Martytoof posted:

Maybe this is super obvious but why does VMware use E1000 as a default NIC for W2012 VMs? Is it just because its detected OOB? I always install VMware Tools and it installs the VMxnet3 drivers anyway. Should I be using E1000 over VMxnet3 for some reason or is it really no big deal either way?

Unless something has changed, you should be using VMXNET3 for all Windows deployments. The E1000 adapter is an old emulated Intel gigabit NIC (which is why it works without VMware tools). VMXNET3 is a virtualized 10gbe NIC optimized for for VM performance.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Moey posted:

Unless something has changed, you should be using VMXNET3 for all Windows deployments. The E1000 adapter is an old emulated Intel gigabit NIC (which is why it works without VMware tools). VMXNET3 is a virtualized 10gbe NIC optimized for for VM performance.

Yeah that's what I do, it's just been a while since I deployed a Windows machine so I was slightly surprised that it was the default for a Windows 2012 VM as suggested by vSphere 6 :v:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think the defaults are aiming at the highest compatibility rather than the 'best' configuration.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Thanks Ants posted:

I think the defaults are aiming at the highest compatibility rather than the 'best' configuration.

This.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Historically, despite the better performance, there have also been a number of bugs that have only manifested in the paravirtual network adapters and not the emulated ones.

e: This one was a doozy: http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2006277

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
The vast majority of my VMware environment is E1000 and most of the linux servers don't even have VMware Tools / open-vm-tools installed.

:negative:

You should never use E1000, and I think VMware should make vmxnet3 standard going forward.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Vulture Culture posted:

Historically, despite the better performance, there have also been a number of bugs that have only manifested in the paravirtual network adapters and not the emulated ones.

e: This one was a doozy: http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2006277

We're having issues with virtual network adapters just randomly not passing traffic or only passing some type of traffic. Been on the horn with HP VMware, they've seen it happen, and their reaction is pretty much :shrug:

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Well I'd love to read the article, but the VMware KB site is (yet again) down.

Maybe that's the problem with the VMware KB, they run on vmxnet3 NICs :colbert:

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
https://imgur.com/OzGVKD2.jpg

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

Wicaeed posted:

Well I'd love to read the article, but the VMware KB site is (yet again) down.

Maybe that's the problem with the VMware KB, they run on vmxnet3 NICs :colbert:

It may actually just be that you've gotten the cookie of death from their website. I find that sometimes it'll tell me its down and clearing my cache or a different browser sorts it out.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Got bit by this one over the last 3 months, finally figured it out a few weeks ago and it hasn't happened since: https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1028373

Any vm that got rebooted had a small chance of networking not coming up, ddn't matter what host, vnic type, os, etc. I finally found an event viewer entry that pointed me in the direction of a mac address conflict, we traced it down to a cisco switch on the other side of the building that had an ancient version of ios on it. Updated to the latest ios and it hasn't happened since. I really wanna murder the prior director/sysadmins that had a segmented network and brought it back to a flat layer 2 for our entire corporate office. :catstare:

Not worth fixing right now, we're moving servers to a colo in the fall and potentially a new building in '17.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
The audio over HDMI in my virtual machine crackles and pops, what's the best way to mitigate that? The DPC latency is quite high.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

devmd01 posted:

I really wanna murder the prior director/sysadmins that had a segmented network and brought it back to a flat layer 2 for our entire corporate office. :catstare:

Ok, this is hilarious. The layer 3 fad has passed.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Moey posted:

Ok, this is hilarious. The layer 3 fad has passed.

I mean, people spend so much time and money implementing layer 2 overlays, why not just tackle the problem at the source and get rid of layer 3 entirely!?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Less than 10 years ago we ran the entire network on a single /13 netmask. Worked great, lets go back to that.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Less than 10 years ago we ran the entire network on a single /13 netmask. Worked great, lets go back to that.

That is impressive. The largest broadcast domain in all the lands!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

And everything used multicast! Because we only had hubs.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

We recently acquired another financial institution that had outsourced all of their IT operations. The MSP network guys were telling me that when they came on all of this banks branches (7) ran a single broadcast domain across comcast metro ethernet for all of their servers, networking equipment, client workstations, printers, and phones. They did not specify if they used seperate layer 3 networks on the l2 broadcast, but I am guessing not. According to them, at times they saw 15mbps of broadcast traffic.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

We had a dedicated router in each building on the network, but they were configured to do broadcast forwarding so everyone saw every single broadcast packet on the network barring filtered stuff like DHCP. Absolute mess.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

We had a dedicated router in each building on the network, but they were configured to do broadcast forwarding so everyone saw every single broadcast packet on the network barring filtered stuff like DHCP. Absolute mess.

Okay, I'm a rank newbie and even that doesn't make a lick of sense to me.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'll bite. Why?

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Did you work at VMware?

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

KillHour posted:

I'll bite. Why?

Ghetto windows domain-without-dcs probably.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord

Moey posted:

That is impressive. The largest broadcast domain in all the lands!

My first real job was at a small rural wireless ISP. When I started there, the whole customer wireless network was a half-dozen /24s and everything was a bridge. I think our broadcast domain covered most of a thousand square miles.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Oh, someone plugged in a computer. I'm going to lunch while spanning-tree does it's thing

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Bhodi posted:

Oh, someone plugged in a computer. I'm going to lunch while spanning-tree does it's thing

Like they would use any kind of loop prevention.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I've tried the whole day trying to get GPU pass-through to work on Linux Mint 17.3/Ubuntu 14.04 and I give up. I can't get the UEFI/OVMF stuff to work.

I actually got the nvidia card detected properly in the VM but the versions of libvirt/qemu didn't support hidden kvm so I had to get something newer and I lost kind of track.

I used libvirt 1.2.8, qemu 2.1.2 from here https://launchpad.net/~jacob/+archive/ubuntu/virtualisation?field.series_filter=trusty

I tried compiling newer ones but I don't actually know what I am doing besides entering make so it had a few issues.

On the upside, I figured out blacklisting nouveau solves a few issues in Linux Mint like not being able to add keyboard layouts for switching.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I've kind of given up on GPU pass through with my current equipment and started hoping virgl gets done sooner than later.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Riso posted:

I've tried the whole day trying to get GPU pass-through to work on Linux Mint 17.3/Ubuntu 14.04 and I give up. I can't get the UEFI/OVMF stuff to work.

I actually got the nvidia card detected properly in the VM but the versions of libvirt/qemu didn't support hidden kvm so I had to get something newer and I lost kind of track.

I used libvirt 1.2.8, qemu 2.1.2 from here https://launchpad.net/~jacob/+archive/ubuntu/virtualisation?field.series_filter=trusty

I tried compiling newer ones but I don't actually know what I am doing besides entering make so it had a few issues.

On the upside, I figured out blacklisting nouveau solves a few issues in Linux Mint like not being able to add keyboard layouts for switching.

What's wrong with ovmf and UEFI?

Can we start there? Troubleshooting those problems is the best starting point, since stubbing out legacy is frankly a clusterfuck.

For compiling from source, make && make install might be OK on Mint. I've never tried it. But there's probably also a ppa with newer packages you can use.

cliffy
Apr 12, 2002

Riso posted:

I found specifying the qemu command-line directly easier in the long run than fiddling with libvirt. Libvirt is a layer of abstraction that's not necessarily needed.

Did you try using the current version of the UEFI/OVMF BIOS? There's current RPMs here: https://www.kraxel.org/repos/jenkins/edk2/

It took me days to get everything running smoothly, but seems stable and performs nicely now.

cliffy
Apr 12, 2002

evol262 posted:

... stubbing out legacy is frankly a clusterfuck.

Yeah this a million times, I could not get VGA passthrough working without using UEFI for the VM. It became apparent from looking at the kernel logs that the VGA arbiter stuff was not behaving well.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

HPL posted:

I've kind of given up on GPU pass through with my current equipment and started hoping virgl gets done sooner than later.
VirGL in Windows? Hope you got mad patience.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Combat Pretzel posted:

VirGL in Windows? Hope you got mad patience.

There's not a lot that I do in Windows that's GPU-dependent, so as long as it gets done within some reasonable timeline, I'm good.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

cliffy posted:

I found specifying the qemu command-line directly easier in the long run than fiddling with libvirt. Libvirt is a layer of abstraction that's not necessarily needed.

Yes/no. libvirt isn't necessary (though it can make stuff like iscsi volumes a lot easier), and it basically just wraps qemu for local VMs. But once you have the qemu options you want, finding the appropriate libvirt stanzas and saying "start this VM on boot every time, give me easy snapshots, etc" is much easier in the long run than invoking qemu-kvm every time you reboot or writing your own service which is a bad version of libvirtd.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

evol262 posted:

What's wrong with ovmf and UEFI?

Can we start there? Troubleshooting those problems is the best starting point, since stubbing out legacy is frankly a clusterfuck.

For compiling from source, make && make install might be OK on Mint. I've never tried it. But there's probably also a ppa with newer packages you can use.

The ppa is what I linked.

In short, qemu rewards me with a black screen instead of the efi shell despite directly giving it the two ovmf fds in the cli. Virt-manager doesn't even think libvirt has uefi support, giving me ye olde yellow triangle on the option when I want to use it.

I was using the pure ovmfs I fished out of the Ed2k rpm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Riso posted:

The ppa is what I linked.

In short, qemu rewards me with a black screen instead of the efi shell despite directly giving it the two ovmf fds in the cli. Virt-manager doesn't even think libvirt has uefi support, giving me ye olde yellow triangle on the option when I want to use it.

I was using the pure ovmfs I fished out of the Ed2k rpm.

On mobile, I didn't check the link.

Again, let's start from scratch. There's way too much I don't know about your environment, and you haven't given enough information.

There's an ovmf package for Debian/Mint/Ubuntu. .deb distros apparently expect to find the ovmf firmware in /usr/share/ovmf, not /usr/share/edk2.git... Is that where you put the firmware? If so, virt-manager should see it, but I'll need to actually install Mint in a VM to verify that, and I won't have the image downloaded for about 20 minutes.

For qemu on the console...

Is vfio enabled? vfio_pci? pci_stub?

When you get a black screen from UEFI, are you trying with -vga std or -vga qxl? Try to get it working without passing through a GPU first. Using -vga none with a passed-through GPU will get you a black screen every time until you actually get vfio working.

Can you post your qemu cmd?

E: I won't be testing Mint. Their installer just spins formatting a disk in qemu, which is ridiculous, and cements Mint's terrible reputation.

I'm happy to try to help walk you through it over the forums, but when combined with their slow rebasing and security problems, I'd suggest that you may have better luck with Fedora, Ubuntu, Suse, Debian, or even Arch.

evol262 fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Apr 3, 2016