Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Der Penguingott posted:

What can I expect with using the heady topper/Conan yeast? Any advice would be appreciated before I toss 50$ worth of hops in this batch.

I've used The Yeast Bay's culture. It's awesome with fruity hops, it adds a nice fullness / sweetness to the hop profile. In my experience it's relatively low flocculating, and I've seen it take up to about 10 days to hit target gravity, longer for a first generation pitch. As mentioned earlier, subsequent generations tend to behave a little better. Supposedly it's of English origin and I don't feel like it's very similar to US-05, I did a side by side of an all-Mosaic IPA and the Vermont Ale keg was markedly better. Not that the other was bad, it just didn't have the same "pop" of hop flavor.

Jo3sh posted:

So - Mosaic. Thoughts, experiences? I see descriptions of melon, tropical fruit, less dank than Citra, berries, etc. Any other hops that would go well?

Works great as a SMaSH, but it's completed well by Amarillo, Citra, and Galaxy. Stick to late boil/flameout/dry hop for maximum effect, and bitter with Magnum or something similar. I'm kicking around the idea of pairing it with Eureka or Simcoe for a brew later this year, will report back with results if/when it happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I recently got back into home brewing thanks to my fiancee. She bought me a starter kit. I picked up one of the plastic Big Mouth Bubblers and used it for the first time last week. I haven't seen any action in the airlock at all. I did see some bubbling action in the krausen so I assumed everything has been going fine. Is this an common issue with the BMBs? I'm going to be dry hopping either today or tomorrow so I plan on checking it out.

Now that I'm comfortable again with brewing, is there a good resource for BIAB? I guess I'm more curious about if I can use an all grain kit with BIAB or does it need to be modified slightly.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
So I might make a weissbier for my next brew, the recipes I found suggested Wyeast 3068 and since I never used liquid yeast I was wondering what was different?
It says to make a starter with 3068, how exactly someone does that?

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
Liquid yeast is more expensive and has a shorter shelf life, that's about it for typical use. Wyeast uses a smack pack that you activate the day before, there are instructions on the package. You don't need a starter unless you are brewing more than 20 liters.

If you do need to make a starter, use a pitching calculator such as this one to calculate how big a starter you need. 3068 loses a lot of character if you overpitch, so choose one of the lower pitching rates. Then you make a mini wort, put it into a sanitized PET bottle or similar, add the yeast, and cover it with loose aluminium foil. Swirl up the yeast every so often. It's ready to use after ~48 hours.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

rockcity posted:

It's fairly clean, but definitely has a fruit profile. I've used it twice now, once in a DIPA that was from a Yeast Bay vial and once from a cultured can of Heady Topper. I harvested that second one for re-use and it's going into the IPA I mentioned above that will be Mosaic and Amarillo. Grain bill will be more or less the grain bill for Sip of Sunshine from Lawsons Finest Liquids which is a drat good beer.

That sounds amazing. I've had both those beers and I could drink them every day.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Popped open the first bottle of my Coffee Porter that I bottled on Monday. Still obviously barely carbonated but it tastes really good. Full on in your face coffee (which I guess should fade if I let it). Recipe is real simple, I made it from a Brewer's Best Pumpkin Spice Porter (only change is I only used Northern Brewer hops, 1oz at 60min & 1 oz at 30 min. Just skipped adding the pumpkin spice and I added 8oz of "Kenya Peaberry" whole bean coffee and 1 oz of Northern Brewer for 10 days in the fermenter (added in a paint strainer to easily remove the coffee beans.

Also just started my 4th home brew this morning, going to try to do a super simple partial mash cream ale. Currently mashing the grains as we speak. Going to add in 3-6lbs of light dry extract depending on my efficiency on the mash, have BeerSmith open to modify the recipe after the mash is done to get around %5 alcohol in the finished beer. I did already gently caress it up though, was planning to use 2.5 pounds of 6 row, but bought 2 row instead :D.

Edit - Now have the brew in a bucket. Ended up way stronger than I meant it too, also looks a lot darker than expected, hopefully it will clear up some during fermentation and at least be able to call it a blonde. Miscalculated my efficiency it looks like, thought I did really bad using a random calculator I found online, it clearly wasn't made for doing a partial mash/partial boil beer and said I was at like 40-50%. I added the full 6 pounds of light extract to the recipe to compensate. I topped it off to 6 gallons to compensate, but I am still at 1.063 for OG. Which now I can play with BeerSmith and see I was probably closer to 65% efficiency with the partial mash.

For those curious, The recipe was;

2.5 pounds 2-row
1.25 pounds carapils
1.25 pounds flaked corn
3 pounds light dry extract @ 60min
3 pounds light dry extract @ 5 min
1oz Northern Brewer @ 60 min
Using WLP001 California Ale yeast, didn't make a starter, was expecting to end up with 1.040ish beer instead of 1.060. It is fresh yeast, so shouldn't be any major problem.

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 2, 2016

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
Mosaic talk:

It has this really distinct hop smell and flavor. The smell and taste is a little like perfectly ripe orange. What The Internets say about it having lots of different flavors, aromas and the ability to clean bitter is so true.

I just happened to be at St. Arnold's knocking back a few yesterday. One of their beers on tap is the Art Car IPA, which I had never had since it's introduction earlier this year. When my fiancee brought it back to the table I smelled it and told her "Oh. Mosaic." Later that evening I looked just to show her how right I was :-P, (she has a strong nose for Amarillo, that's what she picked up, which of course she was right about too). Yes, she's kinda awesome like that.

Love, love, love me some Mosaic. One of the things I have on my "to do" is to make a Mosaic/Pilsner SMaSH IPA, which is a big thing in this part of Texas because of a little brewery outside of Houston called The Lone Pint. They make a similar beer called Yellow Rose that is a hard thing to find around here. When I see it on tap, I usually don't even look at the rest of the tap list.

LaserWash fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Apr 2, 2016

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
Sweet! Thanks, everyone, for Mosaic chat. Because this is partigyle, I'll be kinda winging it and developing the recipes on the fly, but it sounds like it should all turn out OK.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Morholt posted:

You don't need a starter unless you are brewing more than 20 liters.

This isn't true. Whether or not you need a starter is dependent on how many yeast cells you need, not size of batch. Size of batch plays a factor into that, but it also depends on the type of yeast, age (viability) of the yeast and original gravity of the beer. For example, even a lower gravity beer at a 5 gallon batch will need a starter if your liquid yeast is 3-4 months old. You should really be using a yeast cell calculator like the one you linked to determine how many cells you need for your fermentation and going from there. I like the Mr. Malty one as a standalone, though I usually use the Beersmith one. I haven't made a beer without a starter in probably 20 batches and I only brew 5 gallon batches.

Also, dry yeast packages typically contain twice the cell count of liquid yeast, so that is another difference between liquid and dry.

robotsinmyhead posted:

That sounds amazing. I've had both those beers and I could drink them every day.

Sip of Sunshine might be favorite IPA, though it's sort of between a DIPA and a more standard IPA. I've really been digging IPAs with oats in them lately. I think the body it adds is a great substitute for body from crystal malts. Tired Hands brewpub in Philly does a lot of them and they're all awesome.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Making a yeast starter and my wyeast packet isn't expanding (been a couple hours since I broke the thingy). Cause for concern?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

yamdankee posted:

Making a yeast starter and my wyeast packet isn't expanding (been a couple hours since I broke the thingy). Cause for concern?

Nope. They don't all expand big like 1056 tends to expand.

I did a 1768 (I think, the Scottish Ale and got zero expansion) and the yeast does great.

Seconding rockcity about cell count. You don't have to count, but definitely do the math. One package is usually good up to 1.055-1.060 depending on environment and what you want. Learn your yeast and give it love like your malt and it will love you back and do awesome things.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Jhet posted:

Nope. They don't all expand big like 1056 tends to expand.

I did a 1768 (I think, the Scottish Ale and got zero expansion) and the yeast does great.

Seconding rockcity about cell count. You don't have to count, but definitely do the math. One package is usually good up to 1.055-1.060 depending on environment and what you want. Learn your yeast and give it love like your malt and it will love you back and do awesome things.

Yeah, my point was mostly that at something like 4 months after package date, your viability is something like 50% and you're definitely under-pitching, even at a 1.050 wort. Will it still ferment that beer? Absolutely, but it might create extra phenols that may be undesirable. Some strains/beers that can be a positive though, like Hefeweizen. If it's fresh though, you could just pitch straight into a wort that gravity (minus lagers that is).

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

internet celebrity posted:

The Sour Hour is about all I listen to anymore.

I like the show, but the one dude used to be a call screener for the radio show Loveline back in the 90's/early 00's and it really shows. He keeps outright stealing Adam Carolla bits.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

rockcity posted:

Sip of Sunshine might be favorite IPA, though it's sort of between a DIPA and a more standard IPA. I've really been digging IPAs with oats in them lately. I think the body it adds is a great substitute for body from crystal malts. Tired Hands brewpub in Philly does a lot of them and they're all awesome.

I've used oats in a pale once with coconut and came out great. Doing a little reading, I picked up some neat tips about oats:

- They're one of the fattier adjunct grains, so adding them in large volumes can impact head retention
- They gelatinize much lower than other adjunct grains, so there's no need to do a cereal mash (pre-cook)
- You really need to pass ~18% grist before they'll take over as the main contributor to mouthfeel (beta glucans)

I'm definitely putting more in my future IPA batches.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Morholt posted:

Liquid yeast is more expensive and has a shorter shelf life, that's about it for typical use. Wyeast uses a smack pack that you activate the day before, there are instructions on the package. You don't need a starter unless you are brewing more than 20 liters.

If you do need to make a starter, use a pitching calculator such as this one to calculate how big a starter you need. 3068 loses a lot of character if you overpitch, so choose one of the lower pitching rates. Then you make a mini wort, put it into a sanitized PET bottle or similar, add the yeast, and cover it with loose aluminium foil. Swirl up the yeast every so often. It's ready to use after ~48 hours.

rockcity posted:

This isn't true. Whether or not you need a starter is dependent on how many yeast cells you need, not size of batch. Size of batch plays a factor into that, but it also depends on the type of yeast, age (viability) of the yeast and original gravity of the beer. For example, even a lower gravity beer at a 5 gallon batch will need a starter if your liquid yeast is 3-4 months old. You should really be using a yeast cell calculator like the one you linked to determine how many cells you need for your fermentation and going from there. I like the Mr. Malty one as a standalone, though I usually use the Beersmith one. I haven't made a beer without a starter in probably 20 batches and I only brew 5 gallon batches.

So looking at beersmith it says I need 280 billion cells and I have 96 billion without starter. I guess that means I need to make a starter.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Le0 posted:

So looking at beersmith it says I need 280 billion cells and I have 96 billion without starter. I guess that means I need to make a starter.

Sounds like you need a pretty big starter actually. What beer are you making that needs 280 billion cells? Sounds like you have a pretty fresh package of yeast which is good.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

rockcity posted:

Sounds like you need a pretty big starter actually. What beer are you making that needs 280 billion cells? Sounds like you have a pretty fresh package of yeast which is good.

It's a weissbier, nothing fancy, it's just what beersmith shows me when I go under the starter button.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Le0 posted:

It's a weissbier, nothing fancy, it's just what beersmith shows me when I go under the starter button.

What is your OG?

Edit: Nevermind, found your recipe. 280 sounds high for that to me. I just did a Belgian Wit at 1.050 and it was only like 170 billion or something. Regardless, I'd make a starter if you have the time.

Here is a good how to video on yeast starters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMhFerNTwbQ

rockcity fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 3, 2016

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
oh great thank you dude, I will check the vid out

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

rockcity posted:

What is your OG?

Edit: Nevermind, found your recipe. 280 sounds high for that to me. I just did a Belgian Wit at 1.050 and it was only like 170 billion or something. Regardless, I'd make a starter if you have the time.

Here is a good how to video on yeast starters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMhFerNTwbQ

I'm getting 190b on the cell count on that recipe. You can underpitch if you'd like it to create additional esters for the style too. You should be able to get close by making a 2L manually shaken starter. It should take 200g DME to the 2L to get the environment you need. Shake it twice a day in the morning and night and give it probably 3-4 days. You'll want to pitch or decant after the krausen falls.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Jhet posted:

I'm getting 190b on the cell count on that recipe. You can underpitch if you'd like it to create additional esters for the style too. You should be able to get close by making a 2L manually shaken starter. It should take 200g DME to the 2L to get the environment you need. Shake it twice a day in the morning and night and give it probably 3-4 days. You'll want to pitch or decant after the krausen falls.

That sounds a lot more like what I would expect. I'm guessing something is off in his recipe in Beersmith.

Also, if you have any way to keep the temp on the lower side, there was an experiment on a podcast recently, I think Beersmith radio, that tested fermentation temperatures on Hefeweisen yeasts and the best flavors were coming out at like 65 degrees. Apparently the stress from it being fermented a little below the traditional temp range also makes esters like underpitching does.

rockcity fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Apr 3, 2016

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Came home from work this morning with my first airlock blown through, krassen through the airlock and a nice mess on top of the bucket/carpet :D. Tried to just clean out the airlock, but it was clear it was going to blow it out. It's in a brew bucket, so I made a quick blow off tube using my siphon hose, which fits perfectly in the brew bucket hole.

Made about a 5.75-6 gallon batch of a 1.063 beer with WLP001 yeast which I dropped less than 24 hours ago, no starter or anything :D

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Apr 4, 2016

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Came home from work this morning with my first airlock blown through, krassen through the airlock and a nice mess on top of the bucket/carpet :D.

Airlocks are great if you're doing long term aging I guess, but for primary, I've never heard a good reason not to use a blowoff tube. Tubing is cheap, put some leftover sanitizer from brewday into a container large enough to contain any blown off krausen, and never scrub krausen off your floors/walls/ceiling again. :cheers:

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Came home from work this morning with my first airlock blown through, krassen through the airlock and a nice mess on top of the bucket/carpet :D. Tried to just clean out the airlock, but it was clear it was going to blow it out. It's in a brew bucket, so I made a quick blow off tube using my siphon hose, which fits perfectly in the brew bucket hole.

Made about a 5.75-6 gallon batch of a 1.063 beer with WLP001 yeast which I dropped less than 24 hours ago, no starter or anything :D

That's a very enthusiastic strain of yeast. When I use the Wyeast version 1056 I always just start with a blowoff or I'll be cleaning up krausen the next day.

I'm bottling my RIS that has spent a few weeks in a used whiskey barrel. It tastes magnificent right now. My 80- shilling is going in next.

Are people still interested in doing a Summer Beer Secret Santa Swap? I'm happy to set it up if there's interest instead of rousing Paladine_PSoT to do it for us.

Edit: Those Chapman SS Fermenters are on sale at their website for what looks like $30 off. They're out of the 14gal ones but the 7 and 21 are still available.

Jhet fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 4, 2016

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Jhet posted:

Are people still interested in doing a Summer Beer Secret Santa Swap? I'm happy to set it up if there's interest instead of rousing Paladine_PSoT to do it for us.

Sure! Guess that means I need to get to bottling things.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

nullfunction posted:

Airlocks are great if you're doing long term aging I guess, but for primary, I've never heard a good reason not to use a blowoff tube. Tubing is cheap, put some leftover sanitizer from brewday into a container large enough to contain any blown off krausen, and never scrub krausen off your floors/walls/ceiling again. :cheers:

I stopped needing them when I got my temperature under control (with US-05 i.e. almost everything I make)

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
I've used airlocks in all but this last beer I made, a 9.5% Wee Heavy, and only because I had too much volume (~6.1gal into 6.5gal). Every other beer I've done was 5.5gal in a 6.5gal bucket with tons of headspace.

Given the option, however, I would always use a blowoff tube because why risk it.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
My inly incident was in a 1 gallon mead that got a little too excited and left lemon strawberry gunk all over the cupboard. Haven't had any beer explosions to date which is nice, but ill be doing some 1 gallon clone attempts for co-workers. I might use a blowoff rig for those.

Last night i brewed up a hydromel that was going to be a standard red currant session mead but i ended up pitching 2nd gen ecy20 and 2nd gen brett b. We'll see how it goes.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
My only airlock blow through was my second beer and it was a wheat beer. My most krausen-y fermentations have always been wheat beers using wheat yeasts. I use a blowoff about half the time, but that's mostly because my SS Brewtech Brew Bucket is 7 gallons, so I usually have a good gallon and a a half of headspace. I tend to use blowoffs for higher gravity beers or yeasts that I know are pretty active.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Oh that reminds me. Whats a good yeast for a smoked wheat beer? Ie, one without bananas

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Oh that reminds me. Whats a good yeast for a smoked wheat beer? Ie, one without bananas

Wyeast 1010 American Wheat.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
My first explosion was one of my first fermented things and it was one for the books. I had made a cider and thought I'd carb it in a glass growler cause I didn't know what the gently caress I was doing. Cue one night sleeping in bed, literally 2 flights of stairs and 50ft away, I was woken up by the sound. I didn't think anything of it and went back to sleep.

The next day, the largest piece of glass I found was about the size of a pebble and there were shards of glass embedded into the walls of my crawlspace. I still have to wear shoes and gloves when I'm in that area because there's splinters of glass everywhere.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Holy cow, that's a nightmare. Did you have cider spilling into your ceiling/walls?

Also a question: I made a yeast starter Sunday but I won't be able to brew till tomorrow (Wednesday). Is that too long? I read 24-48 hours so I'm wondering what could be bad about it being closer to 72 hours?

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

yamdankee posted:

Holy cow, that's a nightmare. Did you have cider spilling into your ceiling/walls?

Also a question: I made a yeast starter Sunday but I won't be able to brew till tomorrow (Wednesday). Is that too long? I read 24-48 hours so I'm wondering what could be bad about it being closer to 72 hours?

I have to imagine the cider vaporized into a fine mist. It's in this little crawlspace under my stairs, so it was a rough-finish area (no paint, no carpet) thankfully.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
I almost had an explosion this morning, and after saying I've only had one. That aforementioned Lambic mead took off like a drat race horse and is just an inch or so from the top of the carboy.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
That's plenty of space :colbert:

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

ChickenArise posted:

That's plenty of space :colbert:

Now is the perfect time to add dry nutrient I think. Might even make a few bucks if I turn it into a youtube video.

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King

rockcity posted:

Wyeast 1010 American Wheat.

I second this choice. I used it for a Gratzer and it came out perfectly.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

yamdankee posted:

It makes it easy to decant if you turn off the stir plate today, but otherwise, it won't screw anything up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Oh yeah, meant to post this:
I checked on my kettle soured berliner that primary-ed with Omega's "Where Da Funk?" I haven't had a free keg so it is just sitting in primary...

HEYO. Can't wait to try.