Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Just loaded up the free trial and you have to do all texting and poo poo through the app itself. lol no

edit: Hey awesome it crashes when I try to access a contact to text.

odiv fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Feb 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Yeah, honestly I think this is a nonstarter. You get 200MB of data to use for all your needs, and VoIP for everything else; if you're going to do that you might as well get a Rogers bucket SIM for an iPad and just use that.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

odiv posted:

Just loaded up the free trial and you have to do all texting and poo poo through the app itself. lol no

edit: Hey awesome it crashes when I try to access a contact to text.

So is cell data only accessible when inside the app?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Free trial is wifi only, so I don't know for sure. I would guess not though since they calculate out how many Facebook posts and webpage visits 200MB is.

I can't really see myself using my iPad to text while I'm out and about, so I think the Rogers plan for an iPad is probably a non-starter for me too. I'll probably just stick with what I've got.

At least they didn't spam any of my contacts yet. Reviews for the app said that the first time you text someone it tells them you're using Sugar Mobile and they should try it! Hopefully they just got rid of that (or maybe they wait until you're out of trial).

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

mediaphage posted:

Yeah, honestly I think this is a nonstarter. You get 200MB of data to use for all your needs, and VoIP for everything else; if you're going to do that you might as well get a Rogers bucket SIM for an iPad and just use that.

Does this work? I thought I read somewhere that they take technical measures to ensure that only "tablets" (:rolleyes:) can use SIMs with these data plans.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

DariusLikewise posted:

So is cell data only accessible when inside the app?

No, the data works like any other data plan, you're just limited to 200MB, including the VoIP calls and texts you make through the app.

Lexicon posted:

Does this work? I thought I read somewhere that they take technical measures to ensure that only "tablets" (:rolleyes:) can use SIMs with these data plans.

Yes, it works 100% fine. I'm not sure if they'll let you start the plan without an iPad, since I had to give them the number of the iPad, but I keep it in an old iPhone 95% of the time as an LTE hotspot. It's awesome.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

mediaphage posted:

Yes, it works 100% fine. I'm not sure if they'll let you start the plan without an iPad, since I had to give them the number of the iPad, but I keep it in an old iPhone 95% of the time as an LTE hotspot. It's awesome.

Nice, good to know.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Ohhh, I'm an idiot. I thought you meant just use the iPad. So what apps would people suggest for VoIP then as a replacement to mimic this Sugar Mobile thing?

I wonder what the cheapest data only is I can get up here. No Rogers.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I used Fongo for about six months. It worked quite well.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

All 10 provinces!

:(

Yeah, I'm just going to stick with Bell I guess. Oh well.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

odiv posted:

Ohhh, I'm an idiot. I thought you meant just use the iPad. So what apps would people suggest for VoIP then as a replacement to mimic this Sugar Mobile thing?

I wonder what the cheapest data only is I can get up here. No Rogers.

I'm not sure about what VoIP apps you want to use (there are a million for texting, anyway), but both Bell and Telus offer the tablet data bucket plans, if that strikes your fancy. Couple bucks more than on Rogers, but still not a bad option imo (last time I checked was still 5GB for < $40).

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Evis posted:

I used Fongo for about six months. It worked quite well.

You have just changed my life. In Manitoba I can get High Speed 50 home internet(unlimited data)+2 Sim Cards with unlimited data and tethering for $105.00 dollars a month through MTS.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

I'm being sent to Winnipeg for a business trip for a few days this month and was wondering if Mobilicity phone will work there at all. Any addons I could get or something?

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

My phone's pooched and I'm looking for something new from koodo. Is there a reason to not just buy a phone outright if I have the money?
From what I can gather the tab and tab plus are just taking the full price and spreading it out along the contract, but I'm not sure what else it would entail.

Maybe i'm still a little groggy from a lack of sleep, I had to do a double take when I saw a +100$ a month plan only to realize the site was localised to BC rather than SK.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Do you have a BYOD discount on your current plan? If so, you'll lose it if you use tab (and possibly even you you buy it outright).

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
So is there no way to get an unlocked Galaxy S7 in Canada? I can only seem to find carrier options. I'm with Koodo and just want to sim swap. I like my plan and hate contracts, I would rather buy it outright and be able to take it wherever I want in the future.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
buying a phone from a carrier outright should mean it comes unlocked

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
Koodo has the preorder page up for that phone already, with a straight no tab retail price and everything....?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Koodo phones come locked. They charge $35 to unlock, and you have to be with Koodo for at least 90 days.

http://help.koodomobile.com/getting...-phone-unlocked

I'd burn up any tab balance you have if it's > $35 personally, then just unlock if you plan to leave. Contracts do suck but my unlocked iPhone 6S cost me like $1100 when all was said and done. Christ these things are getting expensive.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
Or pay like $5 on eBay for an unlock code if you ever want to leave koodo

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

The Gunslinger posted:

So is there no way to get an unlocked Galaxy S7 in Canada? I can only seem to find carrier options. I'm with Koodo and just want to sim swap. I like my plan and hate contracts, I would rather buy it outright and be able to take it wherever I want in the future.

Do you live in/near Richmond, Burnaby, Edmonton or Toronto? The four Samsung stores sell them without a contract (plus you can get gold & silver in the Edge that you can't get elsewhere if you buy it outright. Also comes with 128gb MicroSD for outright purchases in addition to Gear VR)

The S7 isn't locked when you buy it regardless of where you buy it, it's locked once the SIM is inserted. If you buy an S7 at Rogers and put a Koodo SIM in it, it'll lock it to Koodo/Telus.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Wind also sells them outright I think.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Welp

http://mobilesyrup.com/2016/03/01/wind-mobile-is-now-officially-owned-by-shaw/

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

yeah like 4 days ago and we all knew it was going to go through a quarter ago

yawn. wind sucks anyway.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Is there enough spectrum left to have a do-over on creating independent carriers again? Those were exciting times. The government should setup a new pack of losers.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Did anyone think this was not going to get approved or something

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
It'll cut into the profit margins for Rogers/Bell/Telus and anything that inflicts pain on those three I can get behind. It's unlikely to benefit the consumer any, but I'll settle for spite.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Can't wait until we have 4 wireless carriers with the exact same plans at the exact same prices but somehow still aren't colluding.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Seems legit.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

They're getting better at replicating the look-and-feel of sites, I'll give them that!

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

THC posted:

Seems legit.
Are they spoofing that rogers service number somehow?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

cowofwar posted:

Are they spoofing that rogers service number somehow?

Yes, and it's trivial to do with a bit of know-how. SMS security is non-existent.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I trust the scammers more than Rogers.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

So Father-In-Law has an old cellphone that he was going to setup with Telus on some lovely pay-as-you-go thing. Instead of him signing up with it, I just wanted him to get a sim and 7-11 speakout which would be fine for his needs. I asked if his cell was unlocked and he said absolutely. So I got him a sim and airtime and, you guessed it, it's locked to Telus. I should have known better.

ANYHOW,

Is there a cheapo way to unlock an old Nokia 3710a-1c flip phone? I've seen some online places that are $30+US for a code, but if it's that much I'd rather just get him to put the money towards a new no-frills already unlocked phone.
e: Found an ebay seller for $19 CDN. Think I'll just do that.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 26, 2016

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

slidebite posted:

So Father-In-Law has an old cellphone that he was going to setup with Telus on some lovely pay-as-you-go thing. Instead of him signing up with it, I just wanted him to get a sim and 7-11 speakout which would be fine for his needs. I asked if his cell was unlocked and he said absolutely. So I got him a sim and airtime and, you guessed it, it's locked to Telus. I should have known better.

ANYHOW,

Is there a cheapo way to unlock an old Nokia 3710a-1c flip phone? I've seen some online places that are $30+US for a code, but if it's that much I'd rather just get him to put the money towards a new no-frills already unlocked phone.
e: Found an ebay seller for $19 CDN. Think I'll just do that.

Ask family/friends if anybody has a spare Rogers or Fido phone kicking around in the misc drawer. It'll work on Speakout fine.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks for the info, but I already purchased the unlock.

Which leads me to a bit of an ethical dilemma.

I ordered and paid for the unlock on Saturday afternoon. Their website said "code within 1-24 hours, but please allow up to 72"

So come Monday, still no code or word from them at all. So I emailed them at which time they sent me a code and instructions which was basically turn phone on with a different sim and enter code when prompted. Easy-peasy. Oh and supposedly the nokia gives you 3 unlock attempts before it bricks the phone so the instructions also say if it doesn't unlock after the second try to contact them and let them know.

Well, guess what, 2 tries and it doesn't unlock. I also noticed no refunds given without explicit video evidence of the full attempt and rejection.

I also did some searching online and discover some other websites mention a method with a prefix/suffix to the code of like #7+CODE#7 or something like that. So I contact them and I say "Look, your code isn't working, I tried twice. Are you sure I shouldn't add a prefix/suffix with the code which I have seen referenced elsewhere" at which they say "Nope, just the code."

So, I try it again while videoing the whole process with my handheld camera on a tripod and same thing, doesn't work. So I emailed them a link to the video and to their credit they refunded my purchase completely within a few hours which to be honest surprised me. Probably a little scared of bad feedback on ebay I guess.

So, at this point I figure I have nothing to lose (other than possibly brick the POS old flip phone) and try again with the prefix/suffixes I found from this other website.

And guess what. It worked on the second set I try. Phone is unlocked and was able to setup with Speakout no problem.

So.... here is my dilemma: Should I send them payment for the unlock code AGAIN? They did give me a code after all (which I presume cost them something to provide), but i had to babysit this, videoing my attempt and even asked them outright if I needed to add codes before and after the unlock number to which they said no they weren't needed.

I am not familiar with the cell system, but is it possible if they try to reverse the transaction the phone will not work sometime in the future? Or if it's unlocked now it will be going forward?

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

slidebite posted:

So.... here is my dilemma: Should I send them payment for the unlock code AGAIN? They did give me a code after all (which I presume cost them something to provide), but i had to babysit this, videoing my attempt and even asked them outright if I needed to add codes before and after the unlock number to which they said no they weren't needed.

I am not familiar with the cell system, but is it possible if they try to reverse the transaction the phone will not work sometime in the future? Or if it's unlocked now it will be going forward?

No, don't pay them. The phone can't be relocked that way. They hosed up, you fixed it, it's over.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah I think I will let it go. Thanks for confirming it can't get "re-locked" or something like that.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Not sure of this is the best thread or not, but as someone who travels to the US periodically (and own an unlocked Moto G as a primary phone) are there any "go-to" deals to get a US Sim and ppd airtime for periodic calls for the US/Canada?

My Virgin plan has the option of a $40 "voucher" that expires after 30 days which is absurd - if it lasted for a year I'd probably just do it though.

I'd like to be able to buy something like a US version of speak-out where I can buy a US SIM for $10 and something like $25 airtime which is good for a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I used to work for the company that owns Ting, if you want an occasional runabout pay-as-you-go thing, call the people at Ting, they're great, they'll help you.

If you don't use it, you still have to pay like $6 to keep the line active, but otherwise, yeah, Ting will hook you up. I worked on a totally different product so I can't give you details but Ting prides itself on good customer service so just call them. I think the SIMs are in Kroger or whatever, I don't know your American grocery stores, but basically they're an MVNO on Sprint and T-Mobile (although we're not allowed to use the T-Mobile name)