Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Should I buy this instead of an M3?
:heysexy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

Ether Frenzy posted:

Are 997.1 GT3's really that affordable now?

(Apologies for the hijack)
They got affordable for a minute and then people started losing their poo poo on any 911 that was old or special. Any 997.1 under 80 is going to have some miles (50-60k) which is perfectly ok on these motors as long as they're not track miles. At this point you're buying the previous owners more than the car. Most are in the 80 range with lower miles going for the 90s. I see some in the high 70s every so often and use that as justification think to myself I still have a chance...

They have stout engines but god forbid if something does actually go wrong with it. Engine rebuilds are in the high 20s/low 30s depending on the shop and transmissions are somewhere in the neighborhood of 15. If you can afford two you can run one, etc. etc.

Residency Evil posted:

Any chance you have PMs or an e-mail? Don't want to clutter the BMW thread up with Porsche talk.

pr0kjayhawk/gmail

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

No

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

My hopes and dreams shattered again!

Yesterday I went to a lovely WE'LL FINANCE YOU REGARDLESS OF CREDIT lot that just got a 2003 M3 in. It was an SMG but I still wanted to take it out for a test drive. I got them to tell me they'd replaced the engine on it between them repeatedly asking me how I planned on paying for the car. They weren't at all interested in letting me drive it.

What's the deal with M3's and rebuilt/salvage titles? There seem to be a ton of them.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Because idiots tend to crash them.
The same for all moderately expensive fast cars.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

I think that about covers it. Questions:
  • Is the Expansion Tank Mounting Plate/bracket really necessary or is that an internet sperg thing?
  • Same with the fan blade - I haven't inspected mine but if it's free of chips or cracks is it really worth $70 to replace it?

I didn't bother with a new mounting plate when I replaced my radiator and it hasn't leaked a drop. There is an o-ring on the bottom connection that you will want to make sure is still in one piece though. I think it's the same size as the ones on the transmission cooler if it needs to be replaced.

I get the impression that, aside from plastic that's decades old, most fans explode because the clutch goes bad or something causes them to go out of balance and hit things. Instead of spending money on a new fan and clutch, it might be better to just drop in an electric fan like the manual models. It's literally a drop-in conversion and it plugs into the same connector as the auxiliary pusher fan.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Yeah, I had just thought that all the 997 variants had gotten into the 'rich guy looking for an appreciable collector's asset' bracket by now and gone to mad money levels. Agreed that 50k is nothing on that motor if it's been properly looked after, I hope you find one because we need a GT3 owner on here.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Yes.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

I'm so conflicted now.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Black88GTA posted:

I don't know if the expansion tank mounting bracket is 100% necessary or not, but a good rule of thumb is that anything in a BMW engine compartment that carries coolant and is made of plastic should be replaced every 60k. I'd replace it just because.

On that note - absolutely replace the fan.

MrChips posted:

You're going to need a long, thin 32mm wrench to remove the fan clutch.

Word, thanks dudes. I don't have a 32mm wrench so that's getting added to my cost spreadsheet!

The_Franz posted:

I get the impression that, aside from plastic that's decades old, most fans explode because the clutch goes bad or something causes them to go out of balance and hit things. Instead of spending money on a new fan and clutch, it might be better to just drop in an electric fan like the manual models. It's literally a drop-in conversion and it plugs into the same connector as the auxiliary pusher fan.

Interesting. From the looks of it that eliminates the stock autotrans E46 mechanical and aux fan, and installs in the shroud previously occupied by the mechfan?
Replacing the fan and clutch with OEM BMW parts costs within $10 of swapping them out for a URO or "various mfg" electric fan (BMW 17-11-7-561-757 efan is $530 :lol: ) - I'm kind of neurotic about keeping the old girl as close to stock as possible, so I might skip it but thanks for the tip.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Man, my buddy with the e34 540i/6 decided to keep it. I'm kinda sad, but this also means I can buy a buncha parts for the 135i and not feel bad about it. It's been stock except for an exhaust and intake since I got it three years ago. Time for BOOOOST

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

fknlo posted:

I'm so conflicted now.

No

Get a real 2002 TTi or don't get one at all. Yes, that means spending whatever ridiculous price they go for now ($20k??)

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Thanks to whoever recommended apex arc-8's to me!

Replaced the runflats with Michelin pilot supersports as well, soooo much better.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Good choice, looks great.

And yeah, the Michelin PSS is a fantastic tire. Love mine.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
God drat when my wagon pisses me off again I might have to buy a 1er.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
When my 330i won't pass safety anymore I'll bet getting a 128i. Somehow the weird melty bodystyle has grown on me over the years.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Modern BMW styling has really grown on me and I say this as an idiot with three E30's and an E34 in his back yard. The swoopy melty side profile of the E82 still kind of grates on me though.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
gently caress me. Really clean Dinan M3 popped up on craigslist today with decent miles at a really good price. Sent the guy a message pretty much immediately. Apparently not fast enough. An "out of state collector" got to him before I did. I told him if it's EAG he needs to tell them to pound sand and just sell it to me. Hopefully I don't see it on their site in the next few weeks :( . Told him to let me know if the deal falls through or becomes a hassle since I'm interested.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Moxie Omen posted:

Thanks to whoever recommended apex arc-8's to me!

Replaced the runflats with Michelin pilot supersports as well, soooo much better.

Very nice, looking sharp!

It was probably me, I have a set of ARC-8s that need a new set of PSS, probably ordering those in the next week or so. Such a good combo, and each corner is close to 10lbs lighter than stock.

Crustashio, with a 128 you can convert it to the upgraded N52, if you don't mind buying a tune and DISA manifold. I've done it twice, and it puts the car basically at 255ish hp NA. It's no turbo, but it's much nicer than stock.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
Is it cool to say that the 1-series is the new 3-series?

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Cobalt60 posted:

It was cool when they first started selling the 1 series in the US

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now
Anyone have any experience with the E88 convertibles? Haven't used the top all winter (worked fine in the fall), went to use it, and it unlatches, windows roll down, but the top doesn't move, then the button light turns red like I have the trunk part still up, but it's down. I checked the little book for the fuses, only saw one fuse and checked that, it was good, but then I read online there can be 3-4 fuses involving the top? anything I can check or troubleshoot from home before sending it to a garage?

Also, one other thing, this is a 2008, it has bluetooth, but no audio streaming, is there anything that can be updated to make it stream audio, or am I looking at replacing the head unit?

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Cobalt60 posted:

It's the closest you're going to get in terms of feel & size of car.

I test drove a couple E92 M3's before buying the 135 and was not won over on how big and detached the car felt considering the $$.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Time to sell a kidney.
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/5502326651.html

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

BJA posted:

Anyone have any experience with the E88 convertibles? Haven't used the top all winter (worked fine in the fall), went to use it, and it unlatches, windows roll down, but the top doesn't move, then the button light turns red like I have the trunk part still up, but it's down. I checked the little book for the fuses, only saw one fuse and checked that, it was good, but then I read online there can be 3-4 fuses involving the top? anything I can check or troubleshoot from home before sending it to a garage?

Also, one other thing, this is a 2008, it has bluetooth, but no audio streaming, is there anything that can be updated to make it stream audio, or am I looking at replacing the head unit?

No idea on the convertible top, sadly.

Regarding bluetooth streaming, you can replace the headunit and do a lot of coding, which is going to get really expensive, or if you have the 3.5mm AUX in, pay less than $10 for something like this: http://smile.amazon.com/VicTsing-Wireless-Receiver-Bluetooth-Adapter/dp/B00GY0GMZ2

No steering wheel controls, but it's really cheap. And not half bad.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

That price for an automatic? Thanks but no thanks.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

CornHolio posted:

That price for an automatic? Thanks but no thanks.

Automatic convertible. Keep the kidney.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
E30 M3s are breaking the $200k mark

http://enthusiastauto.com/qsearch/?id=5323&form_display=51

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
dumbest holiday ever

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BraveUlysses posted:

dumbest holiday ever

Every day is April 1 for EAG!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

I need them to introduce me to their drug dealer, I need some of that poo poo.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

gently caress everything about enthusiast auto

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Moxie Omen posted:

They apparently recently got their hands on an E46 M3 with 500 miles on it. People are expecting them to list it in the $90-100k range.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Moxie Omen posted:

They are the reason I can't own an E90 wagon with a stick shift.

gently caress those clowns.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Guinness posted:

They are the reason I can't own an E90 wagon with a stick shift.

gently caress those clowns.

well, other than the fact they were all custom order unicorns.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Its ironic the biggest group of people they manage to piss off are enthusiasts!

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

well, other than the fact they were all custom order unicorns.

While true, the fact that EAG immediately buys up any of them that pop up for sale anywhere in the country and then lists them for 30k+ makes what would be a game of patience into an unwinnable game.

I find it hard to believe that they actually sell them for that much money. It seems like their listings stay up for a long, long time. I'm willing to pay fairly well for a good example, but no loving way I'm paying 30-40k for a 6-7 year old 328 no matter how nice or rare it is.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 1, 2016

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Yeah i'm just going to live with an automatic instead when I get an e90 wagon to replace this loving TDI I'm still stuck with for the moment.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Guinness posted:

While true, the fact that EAG immediately buys up any of them that pop up for sale anywhere in the country and then lists them for 30k+ makes what would be a game of patience into an unwinnable game.

I find it hard to believe that they actually sell them for that much money. It seems like their listings stay up for a long, long time. I'm willing to pay fairly well for a good example, but no loving way I'm paying 30-40k for a 6-7 year old 328 no matter how nice or rare it is.

Honestly, your best course of action may be to post WTB's on a few of the boards and keep them bumped weekly, and ask people to PM you and not to post in the threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

They got affordable for a minute and then people started losing their poo poo on any 911 that was old or special. Any 997.1 under 80 is going to have some miles (50-60k) which is perfectly ok on these motors as long as they're not track miles. At this point you're buying the previous owners more than the car. Most are in the 80 range with lower miles going for the 90s. I see some in the high 70s every so often and use that as justification think to myself I still have a chance...

They have stout engines but god forbid if something does actually go wrong with it. Engine rebuilds are in the high 20s/low 30s depending on the shop and transmissions are somewhere in the neighborhood of 15. If you can afford two you can run one, etc. etc.

pr0kjayhawk/gmail

Sent you an e-mail a few days back, thanks.