Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

No one plays it anymore, this thread is the game now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Thread got me to re-install Terraria.

There's ducks!

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Ok, so you know how environmental protections are techs that you equip, and Oxygen and Radiation protection are folded into the Heat and Cold ones?

Ok, so imagine that, instead, it's backpacks. Oxygen backpack, Radiation protection backpack, Cold protection backpack. All mutually exclusive with no overlapping protections at all.

Ok, now, imagine upgrade modules for those backpacks. "Oh, so I can install a module for oxygen and radiation protection into a different pack" you stupidly assume with your feeble, idiotic mind. No, fuckface, it's for things like...light, or health regen.

This is the state of the nightlies.

If it ain't broke, break it over your loving knee I guess?

edit: Oh, the last significantnightly update seems to have been in december lolololol

Magmarashi fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Apr 2, 2016

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

So wait it went back to the earlier, more of a pain in the rear end method?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Zereth posted:

So wait it went back to the earlier, more of a pain in the rear end method?

Yup! There is a very good reason why: gently caress you.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Magmarashi posted:

No one plays it anymore, this thread is the game now

I clicked on it in Steam today.

I think that might count. Help me guys I'm the problem. :ohdear:

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
It's too bad there is no tally for hours spent in this thread, as I am sure most of us would have more time here than in-game.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
It's really funny the starbound thread is now the Staxel thread.

Does staxel have a tutorial yet? Last time I played and I was really ill and couldn't figure things out so it might not be needed tbh

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

graynull posted:

It's too bad there is no tally for hours spent in this thread, as I am sure most of us would have more time here than in-game.

My steam page says 27 hours and i think half of that was leaving the launcher running overnight and completely forgetting about it.

bartwe
Apr 1, 2016

Shoehead posted:

It's really funny the starbound thread is now the Staxel thread.

Does staxel have a tutorial yet? Last time I played and I was really ill and couldn't figure things out so it might not be needed tbh

Not yet, we did watch a bunch of yt vids of people playing it and made a few fixes based on what we figured was confusing players.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Starbound's design philosophy is to find anything fun and to ruin it as best as they possibly can (aka Tiy redesigns it)

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Eonwe posted:

Starbound's design philosophy is to find anything fun and to ruin it as best as they possibly can (aka Tiy redesigns it)

Well obviously if you knew anything Eonwe, you'd know that once something becomes easy it isn't fun anymore. Maybe you just have bad taste in games

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Dark Souls of poo poo games.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Rhopunzel posted:

Well obviously if you knew anything Eonwe, you'd know that once something becomes easy it isn't fun anymore. Maybe you just have bad taste in games

Why do I have a feeling that's a direct quote?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Loxbourne posted:

quote:

<@Tiy> $10k gets you molly flown to your house, where she'll serenade you with her ukulele, drink all your wine and vomit cake all over your rug
<@mollygos> poo poo i'd be happy to do that for the free wine and cake

Early #starbound was gold for Tiy quotes, Jerry, gold.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Loxbourne posted:

It's a universal truth.

lol

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Eonwe posted:

quote:

Tiy thinks he's a professional writer and likes to think up stuff on a fly and commit to it without any thought going to the details, the whys, the hows or anything.

It all makes sense now.

Also remember when Starbound was going to be an Ouya game? And when Tiy leaked the game to Russian 4chan? 4 chan had the right idea about Starbound even before it was released:

quote:

To be honest it's pretty evident at this point that the game is going to be rear end. As much as I'd like for it to be good, the fact that they've been developing for this long and have nothing to show for it makes it painfully obvious that they really don't know where to go with the game. At this point they're running out of money and I suspect it will be pushed out half-finished some point in the near future.
At this point the pre-order might as well be a glorified kickstart, they probably shouldn't even have bothered with the public stretch goals if they weren't going to do anything with them and instead just keep releasing more infos about the game throughout the week and decide by themselves what they were going to do with all the money they're being showered with instead of shooting themselves in the foot by trying to involve the stupid community.
Wait, hang on. >If we manage to hit $500,000 in pre-orders, this race will be added to the base game and will be playable upon release. They will also be fully integrated into the lore!

>We’ll be using the extra money to pay for an additional artist to create their assets, so their creation won’t delay development at all.
>We’ll be using the extra money to pay for an additional artist But they can't pay the coders...
So the dev team is falling apart and likely going to either crash and burn to delay the game's release heavily. HAHATIMEFORREFUNDS.JPG

As much as I hate molly, you are overestimating her importance in the game development: if anything, Tiyuri is more guilty of this clusterfuck than anyone else. BUT HEY, GUESS WHO WAS ENJOYING IRELAND???

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Is there like a masterpost anywhere of all the problems and flaws with starbound's development? I'm chatting with somebody about starbound but they're insisting that directional difficulties are just an indie game thing.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Is there like a masterpost anywhere of all the problems and flaws with starbound's development? I'm chatting with somebody about starbound but they're insisting that directional difficulties are just an indie game thing.

directional difficulties are not an indie dev problem. directional difficulties are a diva dev problem. they also occur in aaa-tier studios (e.g. final fantasy 13). i and other people in this thread are also independent developers and directors but we shut up, charge in, get our hands dirty and do most of the work because we aren't goddamn prima donnas

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 2, 2016

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I'm chatting with somebody about starbound but they're insisting that directional difficulties are just an indie game thing.
Like, point them to any successful indie game 3-4 years after it releases. This poo poo should be obvious.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

aaa games will also have the same problems, the difference here being that they'll gloss over them and eventually release a polished turd even if it's a turd, with a mountain of advertising backing it and a $60 price tag.

games like starbound tend to not have that luxury

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Party Plane Jones posted:

It all makes sense now.

Also remember when Starbound was going to be an Ouya game? And when Tiy leaked the game to Russian 4chan? 4 chan had the right idea about Starbound even before it was released:

It's funny actually, close to zero percent of the preorder money was used to actually pay for anything related to the game let alone towards stretch goals. The only reason we did the preorder was because half the team basically said "we can't afford to work for free anymore, find a way to pay us or we're leaving". We didn't hire any new people let alone pay them, they just got too excited when the preorder launched and I got shouted down when I was like should we really be promising more poo poo on top of what we've promised already. The only person off the top of my head I remember getting hired/paid after the preorder was our writer, Raze (another cool person, check out his studio Owlcave Games) who got thrown a few grand and then told to gently caress off after working unpaid for nearly a year.

The leak happened because Tiy thought having a real time networked drawing app would be useful, so he got some Russian guy to code this whole thing for us. When the guy was like "so do you think I could get paid" Tiy basically laughed at him and the build he gave us magically ended up being full of keyloggers :)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Man, seems like karma's going to hit that guy like a truck one day.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Man, if I was part of that team I'd back out, too.

Back out slowly.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Party Plane Jones posted:

It all makes sense now.

4chan also wrote extensive rape fiction involving Molly and, for the most part, tried to blame her for every single thing wrong with the game. A broken clock is right twice a day but it's still a broken clock.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

The White Dragon posted:

i and other people in this thread are also independent developers and directors but we shut up, charge in, get our hands dirty and do most of the work because we aren't goddamn prima donnas

I don't know man, let me analyze your work, I have a good eye for it

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Magmarashi posted:

4chan also wrote extensive rape fiction involving Molly and, for the most part, tried to blame her for every single thing wrong with the game. A broken clock is right twice a day but it's still a broken clock.

yeah, i'm not...really sure why she was singled out. other than the obvious answer of 'it's 4chan, who tries to pretend otherwise but we're not goddamn stupid and know why'. the stupid rear end in a top hat who thinks he can magic something out of nothing who's in charge is what's been wrong with it from the beginning.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Johnny Joestar posted:

yeah, i'm not...really sure why she was singled out. other than the obvious answer of 'it's 4chan, who tries to pretend otherwise but we're not goddamn stupid and know why'. the stupid rear end in a top hat who thinks he can magic something out of nothing who's in charge is what's been wrong with it from the beginning.

I felt really bad for Molly catching pretty much all of the fire because in private she was a really good person and more often than not she disagreed with all the decisions behind the poo poo she was getting yelled at for. She was pretty much the only other person on the team who really deeply cared about the game and had reasonable views and we were pretty close friends until I left.

Rhopunzel fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 2, 2016

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Rhopunzel posted:

The leak happened because Tiy thought having a real time networked drawing app would be useful, so he got some Russian guy to code this whole thing for us. When the guy was like "so do you think I could get paid" Tiy basically laughed at him and the build he gave us magically ended up being full of keyloggers :)

this dude owns

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Johnny Joestar posted:

It's incredibly sad how lovely nerds are towards women. Almost every time I've seen them shouting and screaming about how that one woman working on a game is ruining it that woman isn't even in a position to address the problems the game is having. And if she is they're always mad over dumb poo poo that doesn't loving matter.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Slime posted:

It's incredibly sad how lovely nerds are towards women. Almost every time I've seen them shouting and screaming about how that one woman working on a game is ruining it that woman isn't even in a position to address the problems the game is having. And if she is they're always mad over dumb poo poo that doesn't loving matter.

Gold, Jerry, Gold.

quote:

Note: This was about the Microsoft E3 conference of 2013, which had this gem which came off very rapey:
'I can't even block correctly, and you're too fast,' she says.

'Here we go. Just let it happen. It'll be over soon,' her male partner says.

<Tiy_> i wouldnt even be offended if he said
<Tiy_> You like that? I didn't know you liked to be rappppppedd
<Tiy_> because
<Tiy_> its poo poo talk
<Tiy_> who cares
<3> i'd care
<Tiy_> people have this one standard for people they want to hate
<Tiy_> and one for everyone else
<1> thats defo past a line
<3> yeah
<Tiy_> id say that
<Tiy_> to someone
<Tiy_> in person
<3> because poo poo talk requires 2 12yolds
<Tiy_> and they wouldnt give a poo poo
<Tiy_> why should it be different
<Tiy_> context
<Tiy_> stop being offended when the context is not offensive
<Tiy_> if you decide to be offended
<Tiy_> and that upsets you
<Tiy_> you only have yourself to blame
<3> thats dangerously close to blaming a victim
<Tiy_> a victim of offense?
<3> you don't just get to decide that somethign isn't offensive to people
<Tiy_> I get to call out peoples double standards

Later on:

<Tiy> I have a new hobby
<Tiy> for when I'm pissed off
<Tiy> argue with dumbass feminists on twitter
<1> wut
<2> um
<2> thanks
<Tiy> what are you trying to say
<Tiy> that im ok with street harrasment because i think its stupid to classify it as sexist?
<Tiy> why are you even angry
<2> no, i'm saying you don't know what you're talking about.
<2> because you asked a question on twitter, someone accused you of trying to derail the topic, and i defended you saying that you were just asking a question
<2> then i tabbed into irc
<2> and you were calling the girl that i was AGREEING with a "dumbass feminist"
<Tiy> thats because she was being a dumbass feminis

quote:

<Tiy> but as always it's actually me you're working with :)

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

everywhere i look i start to feel worse and worse for the people who were/are forced to suffer being near him

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

you're telling me the guy who can't express ideas without comparing them explicitly to past experiences has social problems

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Johnny Joestar posted:

everywhere i look i start to feel worse and worse for the people who were/are forced to suffer being near him

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

I have no idea how you're finding this poo poo but it's incredible.

This pic was from an entirely different codebase. We had 3 coders (again) and I won't name names, but one of them was basically heavily auts and really hard to work with. From what I heard he basically coded everything in the most obscure way possible and refused to change and managing him burned the lead coder out and he eventually left when he found a job. The third guy proposed to become the new lead, and then it turned out he didn't know C++ at all and wanted to code QoL dev tools for us while directing the other guy. The net result was that after 5 months that .exe was all we had. The game loaded with a random map of tiles, you were stuck in that animation and couldn't move. The only thing you could do was place and delete blocks on the screen. We tried probably dozens of coders, and they'd all be super gung ho, then take one look at the codebase and we'd never hear from them again.

Funnily enough we actually found Kyren because Tiy wanted to make another game. His thinking was that because Starbound was taking so long, it would be nice to make a "side" game that wouldn't take as long and generate some income for us while Starbound was being developed. We wanted to make a voxel game or something, and when we told Kyren about Starbound she got excited and wanted to take a look. The same thing happened, but she was the only coder to actually tell us why she was leaving and it turned out the codebase was basically a giant incomprehensible mad scientist mess that was physically painful to even look at, and the second she said anything to the coder he ended up making her cry.

We convinced her to stay, and made a deal that if she could make something better than what we had right now in 2 weeks, we'd go with her and terminate the other devs contracts. She did, and her codebase is what Starbound is today.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

chucklefish is basically a live action adaptation of a game dev tycoon playthrough

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

oddium posted:

chucklefish is basically a live action adaptation of a game dev tycoon playthrough

If Game Dev Tycoon had personality management it would have been game of the year. Unfortunately it presented developers as statistics which was really jarring to me at the time. I'd love to make a game that involved having to manage people's personalities because it really is a hard line to walk.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Rhopunzel posted:

If Game Dev Tycoon had personality management it would have been game of the year. Unfortunately it presented developers as statistics which was really jarring to me at the time. I'd love to make a game that involved having to manage people's personalities because it really is a hard line to walk.

Zafehouse Diaries is basically this, you have to constantly keep peoples moods afloat otherwise they go apeshit and start murdering each other.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Rhopunzel posted:

ah sorry i meant in the sense that it's funny for a little bit but then you realize it's not going to get better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
Hopefully modding in this game is open enough that someone can just run in and fix all of the issues once its actually done.

It's sad that you need a mod to have fun and remove barriers to fun.

• Locked thread