Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah but the excruciatingly slow Thor "Who is she?!" made up for all that lost ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah but the excruciatingly slow Thor "Who is she?!" made up for all that lost ground.

But we were all fooled by Aaron practically showing up to each reader's house to scream "IT'S ROZ, HONEST, I SWEAR!", so the surprise was SO shocking!

no we weren't

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

zoux posted:

It's really weird how hard DC gets for secret ID's and there are like two Marvel guys with secret IDs.

DC has a stronger heritage of "traditional", straight superhero stories, in part because Otto Binder (Superman, Captain Marvel) and Batman '66 practically set the terms for the superhero genre as it's popularly understood.

At a basic level, Marvel has a mish-mash of sci-fi, spy thriller, soap opera, and other genre stuff mixed in with its foundational superhero matter. Captain America can abandon his secret identity without a lot of buildup, and still feel like the same ol' Captain America, by drawing on the soldier/spy genre bits that are built right into the character and his stories.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

It's still hilarious to me how immediately Marvel rolled back on Spider Man revealing his secret identity.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm pretty sure the only reason they were willing to do it in the first place was because the knew the reset button was coming. Spider's marriage had been a target for a looooong time.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Them doing that only to immediately roll it back actually made me even more annoyed at the selling the marriage thing. When he revealed his secret ID all I could think of was the hundreds of interesting stories that could come out of this and how it would affect his new adventures and the way the world sees him and NOPE WE WERE FAKIN'

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

Them doing that only to immediately roll it back actually made me even more annoyed at the selling the marriage thing. When he revealed his secret ID all I could think of was the hundreds of interesting stories that could come out of this and how it would affect his new adventures and the way the world sees him and NOPE WE WERE FAKIN'

That pissed me off too.

I will claim to my dying day that Bendis' run on Daredevil is at least equal to, and might be better than, Frank Miller's.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Skwirl posted:

That pissed me off too.

I will claim to my dying day that Bendis' run on Daredevil is at least equal to, and might be better than, Frank Miller's.

I agree with you!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Skwirl posted:

yeah, totally.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Madkal posted:

Was there ever more than one Aquaman or has he always been half-Atlantean/half-human?

There's Arthur Joseph Curry, the Sword of Atlantis -era Aquaman created by Kurt Busiek. In an explicit callback to the GA Aquaman, he was the son a lighthouse keeper, subjected to ¿science? that gave him Aquaman powers. He wandered around the Conan-esque ruins of Atlantis with King Shark and Old Aquaman, who was deformed with squidness, for ~50 issues. Then Tad Williams took over, put Aquagirl and some sort of mindflayer child or something?? on the regular cast, and revealed that Extract of Water-Hand was somehow involved making Arthur Joseph.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I actually read an April Fool's article that got me thinking about Aquaman, and I think the problem really is just as simple as the fact that he only works underwater. You can do great Aquaman solo stories, but they're all going to be underwater, or near water, or that one time in Morrison's JLA when he used his fish-talking power to talk to the part of the human brain that's basically just a weird fish if you think about it.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Aquaman is super-strong, super-tough, and has the resources of a global kingdom behind him, plus a trident (the best weapon). Just let his fishpowers work as value-adds for undersea adventures, and he can be Super John Carter the rest of the time.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What about really heavy rain?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Squizzle posted:

Aquaman is super-strong, super-tough, and has the resources of a global kingdom behind him, plus a trident (the best weapon).
So we should hire that guy from the Hunger Games to be the FlashTV Aquaguy?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

FilthyImp posted:

So we should hire that guy from the Hunger Games to be the FlashTV Aquaguy?

Get Bill Brasky. He killed Wolfman Jack with a trident.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Aphrodite posted:

What about really heavy rain?

Aquaman would be better if he powered up in the rain like the Deep Sea King from One Punch Man.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
My problem with Aquaman is that, aside from the edgy defensiveness of guys like Geoff Jones, the best people ever say about Aquaman is that he doesn't suck quite as much as you think. I wanna hear about highs, not just a lack of lows.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

He was pretty cool when he ripped off Greg Pak's Hercules wholesale.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Characters like Aquaman and Wonder Woman are always going to have a hard time competing with characters like Batman and Superman because insofar as super-hero comics are science fiction stories of a sort, they're often intensely conservative science fiction stories. Reed Richards hasn't cured cancer and replaced all the world's cars with eco-friendly hover-skiffs because then the Marvel Universe wouldn't look like our universe. Morrison's mutant renaissance had to be dialed back because, well, again, it made the world of Marvel just a bit too strange and novel. Remember that plot-line maybe 10-ish years ago where Metropolis is rebuilt after some kind of catastrophe as a super-futuristic techno-utopia? That's gone for a reason.

But anyway, Aquaman-- again, like Wonder Woman-- belong to the same basic narrative as, like Squizzle mentioned, John Carter, except their Mars is our world. What their stories want to be are fiercely anti-colonialist parables what happens when god-like beings from better spheres make contact with us and don't like what they see. They want to be stories about the tensions of two radically different cultures meeting and clashing and shaping each other, but since DC can't or won't allow a status quo that's visibly altered by decades of cross-cultural contact with Atlantis or Themyscira, Aquaman and Wonder Woman just wind up looking like extremely milquetoast ambassadors. They've always already lost, because they enter into the narrative deformed by us, and there's never any space for the possibility of us being deformed by them.

It's part of why Superman fits so well as the face of the company-- and don't get me wrong, I really like Superman. But his is a narrative about the dream of assimilation. His planet is gone, he's allowed to be a creature without a history, and being such a creature, capable of becoming a pure blank slate that the best aspects of his adopted culture can be written onto-- he's essentially the utopian ideal of a person without cultural baggage, which is why when Krypton does rear its head in stories it tends to be at least a little sinister, like the proverbial return of the repressed in Freud.

It's also why Namor is more popular than Aquaman-- because as a character who's often an antagonist and always a cranky dude, he's allowed to act like the surface world is bullshit compared to Atlantis ("a dog? a barrel?"), and even if his repertoire of plots is a little thin (Atlantis Attacks! Atlantis is Attacked! Atlantis And Doom, Together At Last! Atlantis and Doom... No More!) they're all robust and built on a rock-solid basis of two very different worlds clashing and either fighting or working through their differences. Being a sometimes bad-guy allows Namor to try to do things that would drastically change the Marvel universe because he's also allowed to fail at them. Aquaman can't fail because nobody wants to read a comic about a guy that keeps failing. But the tragedy is, that leaves him only the most boring kinds of victories.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Wonder Woman sucks because she's boring and the only thing she has going for her is being the most famous super heroine. There's more under the surface but whenever someone does something interesting with her it's in her solo books, remove her from isolation and suddenly everyone writes her as a token who's only personality trait is talking with an air of civil formality. Maybe I'd have read some of the great Wonder Woman runs by now if she was even slightly interesting in everything else she appeared in.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

He was pretty cool when he ripped off Greg Pak's Hercules wholesale.

You've said this like nine times and it isn't actually true. Aside from being loudmouthed and boisterous characters (which is not something Grek Pak invented) they're actually extremely different.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

WickedHate posted:

Wonder Woman sucks because she's boring and the only thing she has going for her is being the most famous super heroine. There's more under the surface but whenever someone does something interesting with her it's in her solo books, remove her from isolation and suddenly everyone writes her as a token who's only personality trait is talking with an air of civil formality. Maybe I'd have read some of the great Wonder Woman runs by now if she was even slightly interesting in everything else she appeared in.

Haha yeah how dare people only tell the best stories in the comic with that character's name on the cover.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I don't care about her solo comics being her best stories, I'm bitching about her never being noteworthy outside of them like other characters are.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

WickedHate posted:

I don't care about her solo comics being her best stories, I'm bitching about her never being noteworthy outside of them like other characters are.

Her smile at Doomsday was the best part of BvS.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Norns posted:

Her smile at Doomsday was the best part of BvS.

That and her theme song.

Imma be honest, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the directors cut, because my impression is they cut the character poo poo for the action sequences, and the action parts are the bit I thought went too long.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Gavok posted:

Get Bill Brasky. He killed Wolfman Jack with a trident.

You know bill brasky? Bill brasky is a son of a bitch!

Did I ever tell you about the time Brasky took me out to go get a drink with him? We go off looking for a bar and we can’t find one. Finally, Brasky takes me into a vacant lot and says, ‘Here we are.’ Well, we sat there for a year and a half. Sure enough, someone constructed a bar around us. Well, the day they opened it, we ordered a shot, drank it, and then burnt the place to the ground. Brasky yelled over the roar of the flames, ‘Always leave things the way you found them!'

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

kizudarake posted:

You know bill brasky? Bill brasky is a son of a bitch!

Did I ever tell you about the time Brasky took me out to go get a drink with him? We go off looking for a bar and we can’t find one. Finally, Brasky takes me into a vacant lot and says, ‘Here we are.’ Well, we sat there for a year and a half. Sure enough, someone constructed a bar around us. Well, the day they opened it, we ordered a shot, drank it, and then burnt the place to the ground. Brasky yelled over the roar of the flames, ‘Always leave things the way you found them!'

EVERY MORNING I CRAP THE BED!

Tiriganiaq
Feb 21, 2012
Explain Hypertime.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Tiriganiaq posted:

Explain Hypertime.

I'll let Mark Waid do that:

Mark Waid posted:

Hypertime is our name for the vast collective of parallel universes out there, in which you can somewhere find every DC story ever published - but it's also more than that. The standard model of parallel timelines is the branches of a river, right? The main timeline is the main stream while tributaries symbolize the alternate timelines? Well, imagine that sometimes those tributaries feed back IN to the main stream, sometimes for a while, sometimes forever. Other times, they cross OVER for only a MOMENT before going in an altogether NEW direction - and for the most part, no one notices these discrepancies but the fans. In short, the reality of the main DC Universe is a lot more malleable than we've ever given it credit for and allows for more wonder and more possibilities than we'd ever imagined.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tiriganiaq posted:

Explain Hypertime.

Like a balloon, and... something bad happens.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
People over complicate this stuff all the time. Hypertime means everything is canon except when it's not depending on the story and what people prefer. King Crimson's power is that one Futurama episode. Why are nerds so :goonsay:?

Oh, riiight. Nerds.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Hypertime is that panel from last month's Ultimates where Galactus explained how FF #1 is always 15 years ago.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hypertime is bullshit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Hypertime is that panel from last month's Ultimates where Galactus explained how FF #1 is always 15 years ago.

I haven't seen that panel and now I'm curious. Does anyone have it?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Squizzle posted:

Aquaman is super-strong, super-tough, and has the resources of a global kingdom behind him, plus a trident (the best weapon).

True fact all the best superheroes have tridents (or variations of).

Proof:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Madkal posted:

True fact all the best superheroes have tridents (or variations of).

Proof:

This isn't proof of anything.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It sort of bothers me that Danny's costume made it look like he had a devil in his pants.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Skwirl posted:

This isn't proof of anything.

It's proof that tridents are awesome and any hero who uses them are awesome too.
Speaking of which, whatever happened to Blue Devil pre nu-52? Also did he ever appear in the nu-52?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Rhyno posted:

It sort of bothers me that Danny's costume made it look like he had a devil in his pants.

I don't know. Facially, he looks happy to see you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Let's see. Danny got some pants and joined the JLoA. The he sold his soul to Neron in Underworld Unleashed, ended up getting a terrible makeover where he became a real demon and got this weird rear end gold armor. He appeared to die in the Girl Power event when he got hit with a sprinkler system full of holy water. He next showed up in the Infinite Crisis mini that dealt with magic (the name escapes me) as the bouncer at a magic bar. He then joined Shadowpact. That takes us up to like 2008 or so where I lost track of him.