Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

JazzFlight posted:

He boils down the movie to being worth it because him and Jason Mewes turned to each other after Batman's apocalyptic dream sequence and said "parademons" at the same time, as if just shoving an obscure DC element into the film redeems the whole thing.

to be fair, if i saw this movie with jason mews i likely would have enjoy it too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

i think it's hosed up that an alien from another world would lay claim to an earth mom

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Those hands are genuinely creepy.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
they're an implicit 'heh, heh, heh' on the end of the title

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Fucken LMAO

81% dropoff.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2016/04/02/box-office-batman-v-superman-plunges-record-81-for-15-35m-friday/

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

lol

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
*revisits all the thinkpieces about Michael Bay and the end of the era of film criticism*

*sends a case of champagne to RedLetterMedia and RottenTomatoes*

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

gently caress me The View women look more and more like Yoda every day.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Will MoS/BvS/[possible JL movie if it's even made I guess?] hold the same weight of failure as the Star Wars Prequels in the minds of people?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

there is a god.

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Will MoS/BvS/[possible JL movie if it's even made I guess?] hold the same weight of failure as the Star Wars Prequels in the minds of people?

the problem is there were three good star wars movies before the prequels. the only good dc movies were the nolan ones.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 2, 2016

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Groovelord Neato posted:

the problem is there were three good star wars movies before the prequels. the only good dc movies were the nolan ones.

triggered af by all this shade being thrown on the Donner Superman flicks.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i don't think those were offish dc flicks were they? superman 2 is a top 5 superhero movie.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Otisburg posted:

Not only are the Donner films good as hell, but the completely awful Canon films are still delightfully cheesy and I defy anyone to have a bad time watching them.

Also, DC / WB has the BEST animated film library in the world. The animated Batman and Superman movies are loving fantastic.

I guarantee you if you took the animation staff and let them write/produce the live action film with a director that's not a Randroid this movie would have pulled at least a 95% RT score.

Unfortunately WB sees this:

Batman/Returns: A director who truly loves what he's doing working with an amazing cast to produce a product of love with a DARK tone

Batman Forever/and Robin: studio hack making by the numbers cheap garbage with a light tone

Green Lantern: studio hack making by the numbers cheap garbage with a light tone

Dark Knight trilogy: A director who truly loves what he's doing working with an amazing cast to produce a product of love with a DARK tone

So when it came time to make Superman / BvS / Justice League, WB decided "what we need to do is hire a studio hack that will make by the numbers cheap garbage with a DARK tone" because they missed the point by a trillion miles.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Otisburg posted:

I think everyone just knows they're good as a given.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

*revisits all the thinkpieces about Michael Bay and the end of the era of film criticism*

*sends a case of champagne to RedLetterMedia and RottenTomatoes*

I want to bet that it was social media and "word of mouth" that contributed more than film critics. If people listened to professional film critics, BvS would have had this bomb on the first weekend. It had to take some time to get the word out, although the podcasters and YouTubers probably had a hand in that.

The thing is that there's nothing out there for it to compete with it until probably April 15. Like seriously, everything major has been out for about a month or more. I think Hardcore Henry might divert some dollars from BvS, since it's got a unique gimmick and it's looks like it's a hard R, but I doubt it'll unseat it from number one. BvS bleeding money in a period where it has no direct competition is going to be painful to WB execs.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Not only are the Donner films good as hell, but the completely awful Canon films are still delightfully cheesy and I defy anyone to have a bad time watching them.

Also, DC / WB has the BEST animated film library in the world. The animated Batman and Superman movies are loving fantastic.

I guarantee you if you took the animation staff and let them write/produce the live action film with a director that's not a Randroid this movie would have pulled at least a 95% RT score.

Unfortunately WB sees this:

Batman/Returns: A director who truly loves what he's doing working with an amazing cast to produce a product of love with a DARK tone

Batman Forever/and Robin: studio hack making by the numbers cheap garbage with a light tone

Green Lantern: studio hack making by the numbers cheap garbage with a light tone

Dark Knight trilogy: A director who truly loves what he's doing working with an amazing cast to produce a product of love with a DARK tone

So when it came time to make Superman / BvS / Justice League, WB decided "what we need to do is hire a studio hack that will make by the numbers cheap garbage with a DARK tone" because they missed the point by a trillion miles.
I dunno if I'd call Zack Synder a studio hack. He's pretty poo poo, but he has a very distinct style of his own that definitely doesn't feel like a safe middle of the road director that a studio might usually go with. I think that was DC's mistake, handing it off to someone with an auteur complex.

Marvel has that safe "file off all the harsh edges to make everyone happy" approach which is great for fun comic book superheroes. Unfortunately for Warner Bros, this time they rolled the dice and it came up snake eyes. Hell, half of the time as I was watching the movie, it felt like M. Night Shyamalan directed it.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 2, 2016

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

what i never got was that there was like 100 million in pre-sales. people were not just going to ditch that because of reviews. once they are gone and with horrible word of mouth, it took a huge hit. and also just by name recognition also.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

JazzFlight posted:

I dunno if I'd call Zack Synder a studio hack. He's pretty poo poo, but he has a very distinct style of his own that definitely doesn't feel like a safe middle of the road director that a studio might usually go with. I think that was DC's mistake, handing it off to someone with an auteur complex.

Marvel has that safe "file off all the harsh edges to make everyone happy" approach which is great for fun comic book superheroes. Unfortunately for Warner Bros, this time they rolled the dice and it came up snake eyes. Hell, half of the time as I was watching the movie, it felt like M. Night Shyamalan directed it.

But at the same time I'd like to know what WB/DC execs were telling Snyder before MoS and then before/during BvS. Did WB just put their hands up and say 'do whatever', or what ways did they actively contribute to this trainwreck? In a sense this isn't like the SW Prequels because there Lucas pretty much had total authority to do what he pleased. Here apparently the writers and Snyder managed to convince rooms full of powerful executives that making a Superman movie that was completely inaccessible to children was a great idea.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
I just saw this all the way through and it was pretty bad and such a missed opportunity. Holy gently caress, it was just a disjointed mess. Lex Luthor was an annoying oval office, Wonder Women was worthless, Superman was emo, etc. Agreed with everyone else though that Ben Affleck was the best part. Also, the "dream sequences"? Talk about random....

The doomsday fight was the most insufferably fake looking piece of CGI bullshit in a major movie since the The Hobbit.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

The only person I know IRL that liked it is this guy. He wore a Superman shirt to the theater and even though we've broken him down and he knows that 99.99% of this movie is steaming hot liquid dog poo poo, it's still such a great movie because of the awful YouTube clips of Cyborg and Aquaman and a reference to Darkseid.

Honestly, your need to make him not enjoy the movie he enjoyed is probably more unhealthy than his love of Aquaman.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

But at the same time I'd like to know what WB/DC execs were telling Snyder before MoS and then before/during BvS. Did WB just put their hands up and say 'do whatever', or what ways did they actively contribute to this trainwreck? In a sense this isn't like the SW Prequels because there Lucas pretty much had total authority to do what he pleased. Here apparently the writers and Snyder managed to convince rooms full of powerful executives that making a Superman movie that was completely inaccessible to children was a great idea.

well i mean it was a smashing success opening weekend

The Dork Knight Rises did 160mil opening weekend, age of ultron did 190 and BvS did 166. Its right on par with the other super production superhero movies

It remains to be seen if it keeps rolling in the dough the next few weeks but it's been doing well so far

Kids arent the main demo for superhero movies nowadays btw, it's 20 somethings

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

BvS just suffered an 81% drop, lol. It's dad.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Zzulu posted:

well i mean it was a smashing success opening weekend

The Dork Knight Rises did 160mil opening weekend, age of ultron did 190 and BvS did 166. Its right on par with the other super production superhero movies

It remains to be seen if it keeps rolling in the dough the next few weeks but it's been doing well so far

Kids arent the main demo for superhero movies nowadays btw, it's 20 somethings

Making it accessible for kids and targeting it towards kids are, like, different things.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Isn't 81% the single biggest drop off for a superhero movie ever?

EDIT: Derp, its the first line. Didnt want to bother with disabling adblock to actually read the article

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

I saw it last night and it sucked dick but I have this semi-serious thing to say:

this definitely can't be laid at the feet of Zach Snyder when it's pretty obvious that the problem is the loving writers above all

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I don't even want to TALK about this movie. I mean, I WILL, but I spoke to 3 different people yesterday after seeing it and they'd asked what I'd been up to that day and at no point did I even mention, "By the way, just saw Dawn of Justice...."

Even Fantastic Four last year I could talk about and say good/bad things about, issues I had with the movie, etc. It's got good 'scenes', but as a whole they don't work out well together. We're all sort of holding out hope that the R-rated extended cut will fix things, but my guess is that the biggest difference will just be a bit more blood and Wonder Woman actually punched in the face or something a few times.

On a hype/budget/interest/etc. scale, this is one of the most disappointing comic book movies I've seen in recent years. I'm trying to think of anything I've seen along these lines since 2000 that has been as non-engaging this.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 2, 2016

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

MiracleWhale posted:

I saw it last night and it sucked dick but I have this semi-serious thing to say:

this definitely can't be laid at the feet of Zach Snyder when it's pretty obvious that the problem is the loving writers above all

Interesting idea but no sorry its Zack Snyder first and foremost.

David Goyer was also the writer for Nolan but Nolan was smart enough to toss his script in the trash.

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Interesting idea but no sorry its Zack Snyder first and foremost.

David Goyer was also the writer for Nolan but Nolan was smart enough to toss his script in the trash.

you know these garbage movies are made by committee and it's that special committee kind of terrible that oozes from every pore of this movie

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

it takes a village to make a complete disaster of a superhero movie

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

MiracleWhale posted:

it takes a village to make a complete disaster of a superhero movie

There was an interesting article comparing how Marvel and DC plan their franchises and tone and it basically shows why DC is doomed. While the whole Edgar Wright thing sucked, Kevin Feige runs a tight ship and makes sure everything stays "on vision"

DC's boardroom is basically just throwing things together to get movies out there without asking if they will fit or be good.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Going to see it tonight because I haven't seen my buddy in a while and it seems like a good excuse to smoke some weed and laugh at a movie.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
So, during the Turkish Airlines commercial, Bruce Wayne is a seething, simmering jar of angry piss ready to explode and kill Superman during the entire thing?

Sitting on a plane next to him must be really uncomfortable during that flight. I mean, Lex will just take poo poo off his plate and put it in your mouth, maybe even absent-mindedly touch himself during the in-flight movie because he thinks he's at home. Bruce might have nightmares where he'll wake up and react violently.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

JediTalentAgent posted:

We're all sort of holding out hope that the R-rated extended cut will fix things, but my guess is that the biggest difference will just be a bit more blood and Wonder Woman actually punched in the face or something a few times.

I have so much morbid curiosity about what's going to be in the R version. Isn't it an extra 30 minutes long?

I mean there's basically no chance that 30 minutes will flesh out the story or give Superman some sort of purpose- if they had scenes like that they would have been in the actual movie. So what will it be? Superman banging Lois Lane? More bizarre references to future movies only huge DC fans will get?

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

I wanna see Amy Adams take her clothes off

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

MiracleWhale posted:

I wanna see Amy Adams take her clothes off

The bathtub scene was as close to nudity as you could get without doing it.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

FizFashizzle posted:

The bathtub scene was as close to nudity as you could get without doing it.

Do they take a bath fully clothed

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Clark does, dirty boots and all, but Lois had some murky, slimey, soapy water in there to cover her dirty pillows.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Honestly, your need to make him not enjoy the movie he enjoyed is probably more unhealthy than his love of Aquaman.

Do you not talk to friends about movies?

Homeboy fucken LOVED poo poo like the Doomsday fight and we're all like "really?" because it was bad and dumb and he realized he was just nerding out and an awful cgi zombie-Zod is actually a terrible way to present something you wanted to see on film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

JediTalentAgent posted:

Clark does, dirty boots and all, but Lois had some murky, slimey, soapy water in there to cover her dirty pillows.

The biggest crime of this movie imo

• Locked thread