Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShitheadDeluxe
May 14, 2007

Ceciltron posted:

Some of you may remember that Number 1 Sexy Dad mailed me a bunch of King Oscars and other fine sardine treats a few months ago. It is now time for me to return the kindness in the only way I can:

BY MAILING THE FIRST REQUESTER SOME STRANGE FRENCH CAN FISHES! That's right, I'll mail the first taker on this offer whatever weird Canadia-land French fishes I can find. I'll PM the first taker.

Has no one taken you up on this yet? I'd love some strange french can fishes, please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Shithead Deluxe posted:

Has no one taken you up on this yet? I'd love some strange french can fishes, please.

Check your pms, buddy!

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Hello Sardine thread. :coolfish:

I read this whole drat thread at work the other day on my phone for some reason, and now I have a craving for a food I have never tried. I also googled a bit about dines, because I was bored, apparently they really are very healthy to eat! I am not a big seafood guy, so this is all new to me.

Picked up one can of these bad boys today:

Probably gonna eat as a snack later tonight. I will let you know how it goes. I have no idea if I will like it or not.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I bet you one can of dines that you do like it

Try a few plain

Try a few on a cracker

Try a few with dried dill shaken on there

Try a few with a squirt of deli mustard on them

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Dirt posted:

I read this whole drat thread at work the other day on my phone for some reason, and now I have a craving for a food I have never tried. I also googled a bit about dines, because I was bored, apparently they really are very healthy to eat! I am not a big seafood guy, so this is all new to me.

Probably gonna eat as a snack later tonight. I will let you know how it goes. I have no idea if I will like it or not.

I too started with those and they are good gateway fishies.

Saw some "fresh packed" herring fillets at the local grocery fish counter and was about to buy the gently caress out of them... until I saw the sodium content. Was something insane like 2100mg/90% of the RDA or something crazy like that. Did not buy.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
edit: got-dang double post

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
I despaired for being unable to find King Oscars around in my Canadaland, but just found out that Clover Leaf gets their bristling sardines right from King Oscar. Unless someone here warns me away from them I'll seek out some brislting Clover Leaf dines on my next shop.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Post pics of the canadines pls

Ira Glass Jaw
Oct 21, 2010

Trundel posted:

I despaired for being unable to find King Oscars around in my Canadaland, but just found out that Clover Leaf gets their bristling sardines right from King Oscar. Unless someone here warns me away from them I'll seek out some brislting Clover Leaf dines on my next shop.

Millionaires are pretty dec dines even though they're like 3 Canadian dollarydoos a tin.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Skulduggery posted:

Millionaires are pretty dec dines even though they're like 3 Canadian dollarydoos a tin.

I avoid millionaires because some of them are packed in china.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Dirt posted:

Ya done good

Poobat
Aug 16, 2006
I used to like to catch tiny fish off the Atlantic coast with a net, and then put them into flour and peanut oil with salt. Dem some good dines, I'm p sure. :chef:

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

For some reason I don't like Sirarcha on my dines (and I eat that poo poo on everything). I think I'm sticking with Tobasco sauce.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Was at the Costco today and saw a 6 of Seasons for $10. Snatched them things up, gonna cook them in some fishermans eggs or do whatever else with em

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Dirt posted:

if u r a fan of hot sauce then apply your favorite hot sauce

i rarely eat the dines on their own without a bunch of hot sauce (unless its a spicy mustard)

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

3 DONG HORSE posted:

For some reason I don't like Sirarcha on my dines (and I eat that poo poo on everything). I think I'm sticking with Tobasco sauce.
I agree. Something about it doesn't jive and I go through a bottle of Sriracha like every month.

naem
May 29, 2011

Drain the oil and replace it with lime juice and eat out of the can over the sink

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

naem posted:

Drain the oil and replace it with lime juice and eat out of the can over the sink
I could get behind that. Bachelor's Ceviche.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The mustard Brunswick's have disappeared from all the stores

What is going on

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

naem posted:

+ grated onion

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??
High acidity helps cut the oiliness. It's like you're making a vinaigrette for the 'dines. A dash of apple cider vinegar would probably also work.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

:coolfish: Trip Report :coolfish:

First can of 'dines down. They did not taste like I expected them to at all. I expected them to be much more "fishy" tasting. Very mild fish flavor. No heads on these little guys, I was sorta bummed about that.

I ate them over the sink out of the can in proper dad form. I also ate a few kosher dill pickle spears with them, they went good together! I tried a bite with some lime juice, not bad either. Some franks red hot on a couple other bites, also pretty good.

I could definitely see mixing the dines with a little mayo, chopped dill pickle and onion being a pretty legit sandwich base. Better than tuna salad.

Gonna buy some more next time I'm at the store. I want to try some mustard ones.

Thread bookmarked. I'm officially on the 'dine bandwagon.

edit: Also I poured some of the oil over my dogs dry food. She went nuts. She likes the 'dines too

Dirt fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 2, 2016

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Dirt posted:

First can of 'dines down. They did not taste like I expected them to at all. I expected them to be much more "fishy" tasting. Very mild fish flavor. No heads on these little guys, I was sorta bummed about that.

I ate them over the sink out of the can in proper dad form. I also ate a few kosher dill pickle spears with them, they went good together! I tried a bite with some lime juice, not bad either. Some franks red hot on a couple other bites, also pretty good.

I could definitely see mixing the dines with a little mayo, chopped dill pickle and onion being a pretty legit sandwich base. Better than tuna salad.

Gonna buy some more next time I'm at the store. I want to try some mustard ones.

edit: Also I poured some of the oil over my dogs dry food. She went nuts. She likes the 'dines too

welcome!

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Sardine-salad sandwiches are indeed much, much superior to tunafish and there's more fun poo poo you can do to keep it fresh. I did a kimchi and dine sandwich on a baguette not long ago and it owned.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Dirt posted:

Good man, welcome to the temple of the :coolfish:

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Sheep-Goats posted:

Post pics of the canadines pls

These are the Canadian Clover Leaf Mediterranean bristlings, which are apparently the same as KOs?

I ate half the can before the pic was taken, so you don't see the black olives/spices on top, and I put hot sauce on them but you get the idea. They're the best 'dines I've tried.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

PinkoBastard posted:

These are the Canadian Clover Leaf Mediterranean bristlings, which are apparently the same as KOs?

I ate half the can before the pic was taken, so you don't see the black olives/spices on top, and I put hot sauce on them but you get the idea. They're the best 'dines I've tried.

look a lot like a KO, same fish, same can hole, same arrangement, I think we have a victory for Canada here boys

added a Canadian Clover Leaf canada :canada: note to OP thx

raton fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 2, 2016

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Dirt posted:

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!

PinkoBastard posted:

Sweet, I grabbed a tin of the Olive Oil ones, will eat tomorrow and post the results.

edit: Here's where I saw the King Oscar associaation http://www.cloverleaf.ca/en/sardine-sustainability

Trundel fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 3, 2016

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Anyone know who sells Clover Leaf sardines on the West Coast? I don't think I've ever seen them but maybe I'll just have to have a closer look.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

how's the price of clover leaf dines? are they top shelf prices like KO?

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Pastor Perineum posted:

how's the price of clover leaf dines? are they top shelf prices like KO?

In my experience, yes!

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

They seem like a straight rebranding of KOs to me. Though lord knows why. Maybe the Canadians are still mad about that one Viking fishing village that was abandoned long before Canada was even thought of as a thing. :shrug:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Canadians have a little of that UKness in them that makes them prefer really bland branding. Like in the UK if there was a new orange soda they'd call it "Orange Drink" and be really proud of that poo poo and in Canada it'd be like "Citrus Sip" and in the US it'd be "Savage Sections from Roky Erickson"

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

FREE DINES

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Sheep-Goats posted:

Canadians have a little of that UKness in them that makes them prefer really bland branding. Like in the UK if there was a new orange soda they'd call it "Orange Drink" and be really proud of that poo poo and in Canada it'd be like "Citrus Sip" and in the US it'd be "Savage Sections from Roky Erickson"
tbf Citrus Sip sounds baller as gently caress

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Went to the store this morning, and King Oscar's were on sale for two bucks a can. Bought six cans. Four with olive oil, and two with dijon mustard.

I ate a can of the olive oil ones as soon as I got home with a big hunk of a nice baguette from the bakery at the store.

Dines on baguette with really spicy kimchi is pretty legit FYI.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

So a thought occurred to me. Since I can get Alshark Moroccan Sardines in Spicy Oil and they seem not too easy to find on the internet and since sardines and gourmet canned foods in general seem oddly regionally distributed, I thought about maybe making a Google Sheet that we could fill out with what we want and what's available to us. That way if you want to make an exchange with another dadgoon, you can. Any interest in this? As I said, I have no problem setting up the sheet. The exchanges themselves would have to be organized goon to goon, though.

EDIT: Personally I would like to see exchanges that are considered equal by both parties and no money changes hands. You guys can do whatever you want, I guess. But it would seem better off in SA-Mart if that's what you want to do. Again, I'd rather just steer clear of it.

Overwined fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 3, 2016

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Admiral Bosch posted:

not at all BIG DICK BUTT gently caress, i just like the flavor of the spanish style, they're pretty dang great

Yeah the spanish style KO are hands down my favorite, although I don't go out of my way to buy boneless normally. If they did the same recipe with whole fish I'm sure I'd like them even more.

Not really eating a lot of sardines or any canned fish lately, been feasting on smelt (from god knows where, I miss the days of bringing home garbage cans full from the Manitowoc River run although I'm sure ecologically we're better off with less of them) and white suckers I dipnet from creeks around here during the spring run. I normally grind sucker meat into patties and panfry but this thread might inspire me to pickle or smoke some. If you want to panfry some little oily fish stop searching fruitlessly for sardines and get some smelts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

quote:

Sardines get better with age. It’s long been known amongst European a-fish-ianados that the most sumptuous sardines are those that have been allowed to mature and mellow for years before they’re eaten. During the aging period the fish and the olive oil they’re packed in meld together making the sardines more tender and their flavor notably richer.

brb converting my basement into a 'dine cellar