Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Yes people do call you a pedant

People call rowing posh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

Gonzo McFee posted:

Jeremy Corbyn is a good leader.

He's really been jumping on the steel issue lately and not sitting idly by making jam like pissflaps some people would like to suggest. I've seen quite a few things around from the petition, to the April Fools questionnaire to this:

Also, Charlotte Church was great on the Last Leg last night, she is very sweary and very sure of her opinions, I like her.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Pissflaps posted:

People call rowing posh.

There is a subset of the population of this country who call rowing posh, and do it on the internet

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

MrL_JaKiri posted:

There is a subset of the population of this country who call rowing posh, and do it on the internet

There is.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Agreed

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I'm glad to see you two putting your differences aside and not rowing on the internet.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I literally have no idea why anyone would want to sell the steel industry, even if it was running at a monumental loss.

I'm no engineer, but I'm guessing the ability to create and manufacture your own steel without having to buy it elsewhere is a very, very useful ability to have particularly if you want to run an infrastructure in the modern world, what with steel being used loving everywhere.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Ddraig posted:

I literally have no idea why anyone would want to sell the steel industry, even if it was running at a monumental loss.

I'm no engineer, but I'm guessing the ability to create and manufacture your own steel without having to buy it elsewhere is a very, very useful ability to have particularly if you want to run an infrastructure in the modern world, what with steel being used loving everywhere.

Well they don't want to run the infrastructure so there's that.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

The tories are literal free market fundamentalists. Even though protectionism or nationalisation in this instance is indisputably the best course of action their rigid worldview loses credibility if they concede. It's going to be interesting to see their mad, unsustainable dream unravel and collapse under its own weight.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Scotland now confirmed to be the only country in the world where a majority of political party leaders are gay.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

I like how Kez just dropped it in like "sure, why not, idgaf"

Meanwhile, in Dover…

https://twitter.com/CharlieElphicke/status/716244641193058304

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Anyone watching the labour livestream conference thing? It's interesting but the twitters aren't exactly lighting up. Mostly because they're in the middle of a group discussion and haven't actually told the people watching what the questions are >.<

http://www.labour.org.uk/page/content/campaigning-to-win/

Link, by the by. Slightly painful reporting from the group discussion in progress.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Apr 2, 2016

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

TinTower posted:

I like how Kez just dropped it in like "sure, why not, idgaf"

Meanwhile, in Dover…

https://twitter.com/CharlieElphicke/status/716244641193058304

Gosh, I wonder what would cause antifa to visit a shithole like Dover. Surely a mystery for the ages, drat lefties.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Also is it possible that they're only occupying the road because they can't go anywhere else because the police are in the way?

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

Hey, guy in thread (sorry, terrible with names) who went to the Civil Service assessment centre, how did it go? Did you get the results yet?

I kinda feel sorry for the Civil Service. Judging by how my assessment was, what the exercises were and what questions I was asked, as an institution it's pretty left-leaning. Maybe it's difficult to be right-leaning if you actually have to calculate the effect on people of Tory policies, write reports on it, then see them be brushed aside. I think I couldn't handle the job of actually implementing Tory policies.

still waiting on the results, i'm not sure whether that's a good or a bad thing

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

TomViolence posted:

The tories are literal free market fundamentalists. Even though protectionism or nationalisation in this instance is indisputably the best course of action their rigid worldview loses credibility if they concede. It's going to be interesting to see their mad, unsustainable dream unravel and collapse under its own weight.
'Best course of action' is relative and assumes an interest in governance. The Tories are just interested in raking in short-term profits (or a guarantee of future profits), don't start thinking they actually give a poo poo about what happens to the country.

In other news:
Jeremy Corbyn mobbed by supporters during Bristol walkabout

quote:

Jeremy Corbyn was mobbed by supporters when he took an unplanned walk through the streets of Bristol on Friday afternoon.

The Labour leader reportedly infuriated photographers and the press by ignoring them, and instead talked to shoppers and young mothers in Bristol’s Easton district.

Local media reported that Labour officials “were left tearing their hair out” after Corbyn stopped and held up the media scrum to listen to people who stopped him in the street.

Ian Onions, the political editor of the Bristol Post, described it as “a walkabout by a political leader like no other”.

“Instead of the usual stage-managed performance, meeting and greeting people specially handpicked for the occasion, Jeremy Corbyn took to the streets of Easton to talk, listen and have his photo taken with shoppers, traders and passersby,” Onions reported.

Tristan Cork, writing in the Western Daily Press, reported that Corbyn ignored spin doctors by stopping to listen to people who approached him in the street.

“That sparked chaotic scenes as the press and media jostled for photos and interviews, but Corbyn was having none of it. If a chat with a person took five or six minutes, then he would hold up the entire press pack,” according to Cork’s account.
Corbyn still hasn't learned that a 'serious' leader should be listening to the concerns of the media and ignoring the people, not the other way round. This is bad for Corbyn.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Jeremy Corbyn is just negging the press, the fiend.

Meanwhile the worm continues to turn.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/apr/01/senior-tories-brexit-vote-leave-attacks-david-cameron-letter-nhs-staff

quote:

The Brexit campaign group backed by the justice secretary, Michael Gove, is trying to persuade senior NHS staff to sign a letter that includes a direct attack on David Cameron, who is accused of having starved the health service of funding.

In an email leaked to the Guardian, Vote Leave’s Cleo Watson tells clinicians that her group desperately needs doctors, nurses and pharmacists to warn that Britain’s health service is being damaged by the EU.

A draft version of the letter included by Watson says: “David Cameron and Jeremy Hunt must accept responsibility for this – they have starved the NHS of necessary funding for too long.”

Vote Leave group directly accusing Cameron and Hunt of starving the NHS of money should make a fun Monday, especially if they get the Conservative MP's like Gove and Boris in Vote Leave to sign it. Hamface's people are already running damage control similar to IDS with "You all agreed to this, you shouldn't complain"

Fans fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Apr 2, 2016

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Corbyn speaking at this conference and its great.

"We had something like fifty thousand questions in the first day - now obviously I can't pretend to have read them all. I did offer to read them all to the prime minister if he wanted, but he said no. He's not a very good listener."

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

He was pretty good on Thursday evening, too, when I saw him at a local rally. I think he was kind of rehearsing this speech, actually. It seems a bit more polished this time.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Gonzo McFee posted:

GQ decided that Osborne was the politician of the year. GQ is the last place you should go for political insight.

Ah, that's just Google Now being a bit too clever for itself. Unfortunately it just recommends based on the subject, without regard for whether I was reading pro or anti-articles. I now get articles supporting Trump appearing on my feed because I'd previously read some critical ones. :effort:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Isn't that better than the opposite case, where Google was accused of keeping people in a filter bubble based on their demographic?

I remember them doing a test where people from one demographic searching for abortion were shown clinics in their area and people from another were shown Catholic Encyclopedia articles on the sanctity of life.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Fans posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/apr/01/senior-tories-brexit-vote-leave-attacks-david-cameron-letter-nhs-staff

Vote Leave group directly accusing Cameron and Hunt of starving the NHS of money should make a fun Monday, especially if they get the Conservative MP's like Gove and Boris in Vote Leave to sign it. Hamface's people are already running damage control similar to IDS with "You all agreed to this, you shouldn't complain"

I'm Mikey Gove

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

TACD posted:

'Best course of action' is relative and assumes an interest in governance. The Tories are just interested in raking in short-term profits (or a guarantee of future profits), don't start thinking they actually give a poo poo about what happens to the country.

In other news:
Corbyn still hasn't learned that a 'serious' leader should be listening to the concerns of the media and ignoring the people, not the other way round. This is bad for Corbyn.

Brutal.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Fans posted:

I already posted this. They're not accusing Cameron of starving the NHS for his own interests, though, they're blaming him for using money that could have gone to the NHS to pay the EU. Not that the money actually would have gone to the NHS in the event of an EU exit, of course.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

TACD posted:

In other news:

This whole thing is lovely, especially him switching to speak Spanish to a shop worker. It reminds me of when ol' Wislon got on a soap box and even yelled back at the crowd when someone asked what he'd do about the bloody immigrants - something along the lines of "You want me to send them away? Then who will deliver your baby?"

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Jedit posted:

I already posted this. They're not accusing Cameron of starving the NHS for his own interests, though, they're blaming him for using money that could have gone to the NHS to pay the EU. Not that the money actually would have gone to the NHS in the event of an EU exit, of course.

Actually the letter is pretty clear.

quote:

David Cameron and Jeremy Hunt must accept responsibility for this – they have starved the NHS of necessary funding for too long.

Which is the line that has them all in a lather. Sorry I didn't see you post it!

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

IceAgeComing posted:

still waiting on the results, i'm not sure whether that's a good or a bad thing

Both/neither. I had to wait ages. If you've definitely failed, you get told quite quickly. If you've absolutely excelled, you get told quite quickly. If you're in the middle where they actually have to conduct a thorough review to weigh you up against the other candidates, it takes a hell of a long time.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yesterday at the pub some old dude had passed out, at which point his friend just got up and left, and started drooling all over himself so me and the bar staff had to call up a chain of people (starting with the man's son who the barman knew) to eventually find someone to come tell us how to get him home, as it turned out his wife is suffering from severe MS... the only person nearby who was physically able to come was a woman with a broken arm and back problems so I carried him to the taxi and rode with them to his house, where I find he sleeps in room covered in hundreds of copies of the Telegraph and an issue of the Spectator perched beside his bed.

In the taxi back to the pub via the broken-armed woman's house she reveals he's a far-right 'kill the n*****s'-racist and virulent misogynist (which as it turns out, is why he only responded to the male bar staff and ignored the woman even though he clearly heard what she was saying) and that he'd already had one liver transplant due to drinking himself to near-death on the first one. Oh, and that it was his wife's birthday the day before but he'd just gone and done the same drat thing the day before, bursting in on the celebration and ruining it. The lady said she was going to do everything she could from today onwards to stage an intervention, for the wife's sake as much as anything as he's a 'women belong in the kitchen' type who doesn't feel like taking care of her as her condition degenerates.

It was a fascinating insight into the lives of people that just made me really sad when I got back to the pub and took a moment to let it sink in. And even if he is basically a Nazi I'd still drag his dumb arse home for his poor wife's sake, she was lovely.

The bar staff gave me a free pint for the trouble, so that helped drown the sorrow a little bit I guess.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Tesseraction posted:

Yesterday at the pub some old dude had passed out, at which point his friend just got up and left, and started drooling all over himself so me and the bar staff had to call up a chain of people (starting with the man's son who the barman knew) to eventually find someone to come tell us how to get him home, as it turned out his wife is suffering from severe MS... the only person nearby who was physically able to come was a woman with a broken arm and back problems so I carried him to the taxi and rode with them to his house, where I find he sleeps in room covered in hundreds of copies of the Telegraph and an issue of the Spectator perched beside his bed.

In the taxi back to the pub via the broken-armed woman's house she reveals he's a far-right 'kill the n*****s'-racist and virulent misogynist (which as it turns out, is why he only responded to the male bar staff and ignored the woman even though he clearly heard what she was saying) and that he'd already had one liver transplant due to drinking himself to near-death on the first one. Oh, and that it was his wife's birthday the day before but he'd just gone and done the same drat thing the day before, bursting in on the celebration and ruining it. The lady said she was going to do everything she could from today onwards to stage an intervention, for the wife's sake as much as anything as he's a 'women belong in the kitchen' type who doesn't feel like taking care of her as her condition degenerates.

It was a fascinating insight into the lives of people that just made me really sad when I got back to the pub and took a moment to let it sink in. And even if he is basically a Nazi I'd still drag his dumb arse home for his poor wife's sake, she was lovely.

The bar staff gave me a free pint for the trouble, so that helped drown the sorrow a little bit I guess.

Britain.txt

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Depends on what kind of pub really.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Not quite on par, but I saw my first UKIP sticker in the wild today while visiting family near Glasgow. I wish I'd taken pictures, because it was on the worst minivan I've ever seen. It had decals and stickers on it for Campbell's Ozone Therapy Trust, theguysname.faithweb.com, electromedicine(?), and one that just said "Guysname Reborn". The guy that eventually got into it was wearing a t-shirt with the virgin Mary on the front.

It was a really odd sight.

edit: actually, I shouldn't have censored his name since I just googled that he's a former UKIP candidate and prophet who shills machines called things like Photon Genie.

Not Operator fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 2, 2016

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

TACD posted:

In other news:

I... see a bunch of mostly good things here? I mean Corbs does have a few stupid policy positions when moving beyond basic "the tories are bad at money and government" stuff but the way he acts and how he deals with voters is basically the platonic ideal of a politician.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

TACD posted:

In other news:
This is literally what Jesus Christ would do if he was resurrected.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I'm sure it's very nice for those people he talked to, but it hardly helps to spread Corbyn's message to the wider electorate.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

marktheando posted:

I'm sure it's very nice for those people he talked to, but it hardly helps to spread Corbyn's message to the wider electorate.

I dunno if it gets the news to report that he ignores them and talks to people it pretty well gives the message that he gives a poo poo about people.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Hoops posted:

Look at the initials. JC.

You know who he really is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09vVF-Hvykg

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

blowfish posted:

I... see a bunch of mostly good things here? I mean Corbs does have a few stupid policy positions when moving beyond basic "the tories are bad at money and government" stuff but the way he acts and how he deals with voters is basically the platonic ideal of a politician.

The "this is bad for Corbyn" is a joke that everything is spun as being bad for Corbyn.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Hoops posted:

Actually the first thing Jesus Christ would do on his second coming would be to be shot by a dentist from Minnesota.

Peanut Butter
Nov 7, 2011

Wee mannie

Hoops posted:

And what do people call him?

Jezza.

Or should that be Iesu?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
http://www.theguardian.com/education/2016/apr/02/backbench-pressure-on-osborne-academy-scheme

Tories just cant help imploding can they.

• Locked thread