Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Joseph's always been a horndog, though they kind of toned that aspect of his character down in the anime. (see: cutting out the scene where he loudly proclaims wanting to flip up the skirts of some girls)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I saw someone earlier make the point that Morioh's a brighter, more vibrant setting simply because it fits the tone of the part and the titular JoJo. Josuke's a lighthearted guy, has a lot of fun and DIU as a whole is way less urgent than any part before it or any leading up to JoJolion. The sky goes blood red when he gets his two-fer World's at the convenience store.

JoJolion's more urgent than DIU too though, it just probably isn't as urgent as 1,2,3,5,6 and 7.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
It's amazing that even with all the weird character quirks, Josuke's character and personality are still solidly laid out in the first few chapters. He's the closest JoJo to Jonathan, a kind kid with a sense of justice, but will still gently caress a dude up if it comes to it. Whereas with Joseph who is constantly over the top throughout the entirety of Part 2, and that's all fun and great, but that's all Joseph is outside of tiny scenes where he plays with a cat or gets emotional over Caesar, a loving clown. In Part 4 we get to see Josuke be mellow and just Be A Dude. Him and his mom having a squabble over him not picking up the phone as he combs his hair is such a small thing, but it makes Josuke feel like a regular teen.

That's why I like Part 3 Joseph a lot better, because he can breathe and still be a total goofer, but also be the team Dad, getting serious about plotting out the team's path and yelling at Jotaro or Kakyoin if things are looking tense for them in a fight.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Only one I think Araki himself ever changed was Hierophant Emerald->Hierophant Green.

Edit: Ohh yeah there's also Stairway to Heaven->Made In Heaven.

Edit 2: And Going Underground->Born This Way.

Planet Waves is a change too. Earth, Wind and Fire is its old name (Mikitaka got that in the end).

I'd forgotten Hierophant Emerald though.

Moltrey posted:

It's amazing that even with all the weird character quirks, Josuke's character and personality are still solidly laid out in the first few chapters. He's the closest JoJo to Jonathan, a kind kid with a sense of justice, but will still gently caress a dude up if it comes to it. Whereas with Joseph who is constantly over the top throughout the entirety of Part 2, and that's all fun and great, but that's all Joseph is outside of tiny scenes where he plays with a cat or gets emotional over Caesar, a loving clown. In Part 4 we get to see Josuke be mellow and just Be A Dude. Him and his mom having a squabble over him not picking up the phone as he combs his hair is such a small thing, but it makes Josuke feel like a regular teen.

That's why I like Part 3 Joseph a lot better, because he can breathe and still be a total goofer, but also be the team Dad, getting serious about plotting out the team's path and yelling at Jotaro or Kakyoin if things are looking tense for them in a fight.

Giorno's probably the closest to Jonathan in the way you're describing, and I believe that was Araki's intention with him all along. Jonathan doesn't have any of the levity that Josuke does. Josuke to me is Joseph but better in all ways. Which is why Joseph is best Jo is a silly suggestion.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 2, 2016

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Wow didn't know that about Planet Waves.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

JoJolion's more urgent than DIU too though, it just probably isn't as urgent as 1,2,3,5,6 and 7.

Jojolion is more of a mystery story, which is contrasted to 4's daily life stuff and the other parts' clearly laid out objectives and story, so yeah.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.
I'm baffled that there are fans that are still upset by Hamon not being a thing anymore. Nobody seemed to talk much about the early parts back in the day, and now they're suddenly the yardstick for the entire series.

It's the anime, isn't it?

Josuke Higashikata posted:

For some reason, Part 6 is super urgent. By the midpoint the pacing is through the roof, just one fight after another. I almost want to call it the most surreal part too, since it just piles on with weird, baffling powers without stopping to take a breath.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Apes-Ma posted:

I'm baffled that there are fans that are still upset by Hamon not being a thing anymore.

Same.

Like, there are no more vampires. Dio was the last vampire and he's dead. Why would there still be a need for Hamon?

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
i think it would've been cool if there was at least one dude in parts 3-6 who used all the non-vampire murder hamon powers (like being able to climb walls/walk on water, deflect bullets and healing wounds) in combination with their stand that's kind of mediocre/low tier

could've been a cool setup where you think his power does thing but surprise bitch that's just my hamon magic, my actual stand is this other thing

I dunno why people think hamon would be useless in a world with stands when mista shows that most stand users have challenge against a dude with a revolver, let alone an actual good gun

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

Bad Seafood posted:

Looking forward to the anime-only reactions to Parts 5

They just included it in this episode

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

darealkooky posted:

I dunno why people think hamon would be useless in a world with stands when mista shows that most stand users have challenge against a dude with a revolver, let alone an actual good gun

i don't think people view it as being useless as much as it's way less effective as far as combat goes when you're up against a guy whose magical psychic brain punchghost can rapidly punch at the speed of sound and stop time, not to mention like anyone else with any vague amount of direct combat ability. it definitely would have been cool if some minor character popped up later using some ripple techniques, but i guess i'm not too surprised it kind of faded away due to being the ancient techniques practiced by some remote mountain temple that happened to pass it onto a select few who taught it to a couple of their family members. and joseph sure isn't going to be active enough to teach people poo poo, much less actually practicing the ripple.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
for sure, I'm not losing any tears over it never coming up again. I''ve just seen way too many people with this weird hatred of hamon whenever it gets brought up.

the actual reason araki turfed it, beyond changing trends in shounen fightman comics was because part 2 came up with way too many stupid uses for it. in part 1 it was pretty basic but part 2 has mind control, the ability to stop peoples hearts, whatever the gently caress that bubble stuff ceasar was doing and kars super hamon deathray

he can't write as good of an action scene with a super open ended power, this is the same reason act 3 only ever slows people down when act 1/2 did all kinds of stuff with words

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Moltrey posted:

Him and his mom having a squabble over him not picking up the phone as he combs his hair is such a small thing, but it makes Josuke feel like a regular teen.

The part that comes a little later where she's after him and kicking his back to make him stop playing video games is my favorite interaction between them, it says so much and it's adorable :3:

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

darealkooky posted:

for sure, I'm not losing any tears over it never coming up again. I''ve just seen way too many people with this weird hatred of hamon whenever it gets brought up.

the actual reason araki turfed it, beyond changing trends in shounen fightman comics was because part 2 came up with way too many stupid uses for it. in part 1 it was pretty basic but part 2 has mind control, the ability to stop peoples hearts, whatever the gently caress that bubble stuff ceasar was doing and kars super hamon deathray

he can't write as good of an action scene with a super open ended power, this is the same reason act 3 only ever slows people down when act 1/2 did all kinds of stuff with words

Good points and I agree. Araki is at his best when he has a simple, well-defined power that he comes up with many uses for vs. an open-ended power that seems to get more nebulous as time goes on.

See: Crazy Diamond vs. Gold Experience. Crazy D only ever "restores" -- this can be used for healing, repairing objects, chasing criminals, etc. Gold Experience in theory can create life from objects, yet it's shown to do things like overload one's senses and reflect damage. These don't really have anything to do with its original power and are contrivances for the sake of plot. Said abilities are never used again after their initial appearances.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Stands are a lot more interesting than Hamon which is why he got rid of it.
By the time he realised he could make something like Hamon but interesting, he decided to make Steel Ball Run and it turned out Spin was way superior to Hamon and compliments Stands nicely.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

even the spin is way more focused than hamon. there's a lot of weird things it can do but it all boils down to the whole golden rectangle thing and when you throw stands and the mummified corpse of jesus into the mix then things can get a little strange but still make relative sense.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'll mark hard if Gappy throws out some Spin out of nowhere.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
if anything the Spin is what I want to come back in JoJoLion or the next part or w/e. A person who is like Johnny and combines Spin and Stand.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

What if josuuke throws sheer heart attack at someone using the golden rectangle?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
It will reveal that gappy is also part johnny somehow and will have the ability to spin his bubbles in order to counteract the effects of something something something

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
johnny was killed by a jesus rock while joseph banged a hot mom at age 60

clearly, hamon is superior to the spin

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Bad Seafood posted:

Nothing quite like watching a dude watching an entire episode of an anime without sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ab1_AIs_Llc

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Back to the Joseph cheating thing, I saw someone call it "further character assassination" and someone respond that it was because he was so awesome in Part 2 that they had to make him worse.

It's like people don't notice that for the majority of part 2 Joseph is a total rear end.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Stairmaster posted:

What if josuuke throws sheer heart attack at someone using the golden rectangle?

I will probably jump up and start fist pumping

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Joseph being a dick to women got a woman's molar ripped out and also he was super down to peep on a naked woman who turned out to be his mom, so Joseph Joestar has always been a Grade A fuckboi, somehow people don't realize that.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Moltrey posted:

Joseph being a dick to women got a woman's molar ripped out and also he was super down to peep on a naked woman who turned out to be his mom, so Joseph Joestar has always been a Grade A fuckboi, somehow people don't realize that.

Which begs the question, who is the thirstiest JoJo?

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

Moltrey posted:

I saw someone describe him as honorable and I'm like, you talking about the same fucker who tried to sabotage Wamuu's chariot, shot up a building full of people to (not) kill one guy, and jammed a pigeon in a woman's mouth?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Johnny is the only Joestar who has canonically been in a three-way.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Someone tell me if you can see the vid in this link or not

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sgXm0eAGPE

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
^ Nope, "This video contains content from Shueisha, who has blocked it on copyright grounds."

I mean, I feel like the obvious answer is Josuke cause four balls, easy right? Jolyne also a very strong contender as she's ready to just rub one out in public and is jealous of snails' ability to gently caress anyone. But those are the easy answers.

I'm gonna say Johnny cause that boy is the only JoJo to just come out with his fetishes. Now it's not my place to yuck his yums here about what the big deal about a bug bite fetish is, but at some point in his life, Johnny saw a girl covered in bug bites, and said "This...this is it. This is what gets me riled up..."

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Blocked

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Baal posted:

Someone tell me if you can see the vid in this link or not

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sgXm0eAGPE

Blocked by Shueisha my man

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Dias posted:

johnny was killed by a jesus rock while joseph banged a hot mom at age 60

clearly, hamon is superior to the spin

First of all fucker, she wasn't a mom when he banged her

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Blocked by Shueisha my man

That's what I thought

For some reason it was listing it as unlisted when it was blocked eons ago when I tried to upload it, so I thought it was weird

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Moltrey posted:

^ Nope, "This video contains content from Shueisha, who has blocked it on copyright grounds."

I mean, I feel like the obvious answer is Josuke cause four balls, easy right? Jolyne also a very strong contender as she's ready to just rub one out in public and is jealous of snails' ability to gently caress anyone. But those are the easy answers.

I'm gonna say Johnny cause that boy is the only JoJo to just come out with his fetishes. Now it's not my place to yuck his yums here about what the big deal about a bug bite fetish is, but at some point in his life, Johnny saw a girl covered in bug bites, and said "This...this is it. This is what gets me riled up..."

Johnny is the best, yeah.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Moltrey posted:

Oh, it's Jolyne by a mile, now that you mention it.

no they will not posted:

First of all fucker, she wasn't a mom when he banged her

technicalities, technicalities, kakyoin would approve regardless

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Moltrey posted:

RubberLuffy posted:

I saw someone describe him as honorable and I'm like, you talking about the same fucker who tried to sabotage Wamuu's chariot, shot up a building full of people to (not) kill one guy, and jammed a pigeon in a woman's mouth?

These are like the same people who say that Joseph wasn't 'strong' or 'a good fighter'.

Like it's a total failure to understand Joseph's character arc. Like he beat a Vampire completely untrained and the only reason he was so sneaky and desperate is like, 1; it doesn't make you a 'bad fighter' to outplan people, and 2; he was literally fighting some of the strongest things in the comic STILL (including a God), and go like 'well clearly he wasn't strong' when his antagonists were on a whole different level on a physical standpoint.

Also wait what's this about Johnny being in a Threesome? I don't remember that at all.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

all i'm hearing is how jealous you are of joseph joestar.

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

FOOL! DOCTOR DOOM DOES AS HE PLEASES!
:gaz: :gaz: :gaz:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Stallion Cabana posted:

Also wait what's this about Johnny being in a Threesome? I don't remember that at all.

It was a couple of panels during his backstory. Johnny got a lot of tail when he was a famous jockey.