Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wicka
Jun 28, 2007

.2s between 9th and 14th in a format where everyone goes out at once and does one flying lap and hopes for the best. really tells you nothing about which car is genuinely the fastest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I still like Q1. The rest of it, like last time was a poo poo show.

I'm going to stay optimistic for the race.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

the midfield has provided consistently good racing for the last two seasons. we now have a qualifying format that mixes up the midfield, an area that didn't need to be fixed, and changes nothing about the front of the grid. it's fascinating.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
The stupid thing is that the midfield would be just as jumbled under any system because it's really tight. The difference between getting into Q1 and the bottom of Q2 is half a second.

E: and yeah quarter of a second between 9th and 14th

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I only care about the top 3 when Merc makes a mistake at this point.

From 4th down the grid, almost anything can happen. That's pretty exciting to me.

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010
F1 is good and I will continue to watch until death.

Haas is better than McLaren too.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
I only care about 15th to 22th, aka the most exciting positions to finish a race in.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
this is some A game Ronspeak here, he started with "we are a data driven team and looked at the scans" and then he lost me.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Nico Rosberg currently looking like a man who has a team mate who looks knackered, has only managed one clean lap the entire weekend, and was 4m slower off the line last time.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Everybody can now shut the gently caress up about lap times.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Human Grand Prix posted:

Everybody can now shut the gently caress up about lap times.

Why? Because a low fuel run on disposable tyres beat a race lap from 2004? The race laps are going to be in the 1:35-1:40s tomorrow

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Ominous lap times

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Tsaedje posted:

Why? Because a low fuel run on disposable tyres beat a race lap from 2004? The race laps are going to be in the 1:35-1:40s tomorrow

You are just going to have to deal with it.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Oh fuckyes. Lewis under investigation and it is as Brundle would say "a slam dunk".

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hamilton-under-investigation-after-qualifying-684085/

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Top comment on that article: "That's crap, Lewis is the best qualifer ever."

:britain:

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Human Grand Prix posted:

You are just going to have to deal with it.

I've never understood the complaints anyway, the cars have never been actually slow, just not as quick as the v10s.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
lol at the slap fight between Herbert and Alonso

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
drat. Hopes are dashed. http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hamilton-reprimanded-for-pitlane-incident-keeps-pole-684099/

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
:lol: Magnussen has to start from the pitlane because he missed seeing the "go to the weigh bridge" signal after a practice session where the cars can be underweight legally anyway. Lewis reverses in the pit lane and gets a slap on the wrist.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Not only that, the stop signal was for Kvyat who was just ahead of him as well. He slowed down but as no one waved him in he just carried on.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
https://twitter.com/JennieGow/status/716291901331279874

Suck it, F1

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

https://twitter.com/virtualstatman/status/716346274342170624

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
Hate this qualifying so much

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
I think Q1 was what the organisers were hoping the new format would induce. A sort of sequential knockout where the Danger Driver completes a lap about 20 seconds before he's potentially eliminated. That kept happening until there were about three minutes remaining in Q1. Melbourne's Q1 was just comedy as the strategists completely cocked up the timing.

It doesn't work in Q2 and Q3 because it takes too long to refuel the cars, the upper-middle of the grid don't particularly care about qualifying e.g. 10th as opposed to e.g. 12th, and at the top Ferrari know they're slower than Mercedes and Williams/RB know they're slower than Ferrari.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It turns out Williams had a set of the supersofts they are not using for the race, and Sir Frank felt so sorry for the fans that he sent his cars out unnecessarily as he thought it would have meant no cars on track for the last 5 mins of Q2. Turns out if he hadn't then it would have just been a very confused Hulkenberg who did two extra laps because he had no idea what the gently caress was going on.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 3, 2016

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
That wasn't a very Green thing of him to do in this eco-friendly road-relevant formula.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

runoverbobby posted:

That wasn't a very Green thing of him to do in this eco-friendly road-relevant formula.

Speaking of eco-friendly, Formula E Long Beach is happening right now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSzJ3-wLURE

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Where was the Manor in Q2 you guys mentioned? I saw Pascal in 16th, which is awesome, but no Q2.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Just finished watching qualifying my thoughts:

1. Channel 4's coverage is great, sky can go gently caress itself and brundle needs to retire to an old folks home.
2. Qualifying is even more poo poo now somehow, I literally went off three minutes into Q2 to make some food and literally none of the positions changed.
3. Haas is great.
4. the stewards hate the french.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Haas are going to finish ahead of McLaren in the WCC, that's my not very bold at all prediction.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

McLaren are going to light up the timing screens come Europe. I'm tired of your skepticism Hefe.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Alonso's dead, Button's old, Mclaren are poo poo, life facts.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Are Dan beating the poo poo out of Fraud Danii at the moment :australia:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Our Grosjean, the greatest American, qualified ahead of McLaren, Toro Rosso, Sauber, Manor, Renault and half of Red Bull and Force India, in his second only race as the greatest American.

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

El Hefe posted:

Alonso's dead, Button's old, Mclaren are poo poo, life facts.
The Big Stof Man tho.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Holy poo poo Jean Todt has quite literally turned into a goblin.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Our Grosjean, the greatest American, qualified ahead of McLaren, Toro Rosso, Sauber, Manor, Renault and half of Red Bull and Force India, in his second only race as the greatest American.

Big Gros is on his way to becoming one of the greats. He put his dues in a poo poo car and now that he's in a half decent and competent team that just started up he's literally leapfrogged half the grid.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Grossjohn put in a few good performances back when Lotus wasn't complete poo poo, so did Kimi tbf.

He's a good midfield driver now, but that's enough to beat McLaren.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Hell he beat Pastor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Pastor needs to be in NASCAR, he'll be the new intimidator

• Locked thread