Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

HMS Boromir posted:

Does anyone know if I would have to pay VAT on a gift package sent from Sweden to Romania? I've found information that indicates that I do if it's worth more than 45 euros (it is) regardless of origin, I've also found people saying there's no taxes if it's from somewhere in the EU because that's the point of the EU.

I was always given the impression that you pay the VAT rate for the country of sale, regardless of where it's delivered to.

In the EU, I mean. I've had to pay import duties for non-EU goods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Sorry, I should've been more specific - this is a second hand graphics card from a friend who's upgrading. It's already been bought and had VAT paid on it once. I just want to know if I'm going to have to pay VAT on it again just for having it sent to me as a gift. The information I've found in Romanian says that I definitely would if it came from outside the EU but I'm getting conflicting reports as to what happens when it comes from inside the EU.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Your post office might know more. Do they have a national help line?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Yeah, that probably makes more sense, I'll do that. I just figured I'd try here first in case someone happened to know.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

For gifts it probably varies by country, in the UK it's full-VAT if over £34, no duty if it's under £135.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

504 posted:

Do Bluetooth speakers ever pickup random fragments of broadcasts?

If there's an unshielded bit of wiring of the right length, yes they can end up picking up a random AM radio station, quietly. Just like regular speakers.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Do animals get allergies?

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
What are some foreign cities where shorthand names of the city are acceptable in semi-formal writing? Newspaper articles use DC, Vegas, LA, etc sometimes and it's not weird like using "Frisco" or "Beantown" would be, they fit as stand-ins for the actual names and don't change the tone. I can't think of any big cities overseas that use these, except maybe jo-burg(?) and even that I don't know if that's considered overly casual.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

life is a joke posted:

What are some foreign cities where shorthand names of the city are acceptable in semi-formal writing?

Bangkok's full name in Thai is Krung Thep Maha Nakhon but it is often shorted to Krung Thep, though I don't know how common that is in semi-formal journalism.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

life is a joke posted:

What are some foreign cities where shorthand names of the city are acceptable in semi-formal writing? Newspaper articles use DC, Vegas, LA, etc sometimes and it's not weird like using "Frisco" or "Beantown" would be, they fit as stand-ins for the actual names and don't change the tone. I can't think of any big cities overseas that use these, except maybe jo-burg(?) and even that I don't know if that's considered overly casual.

Toke, J-land

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

life is a joke posted:

In Britain we shorten Birmingham and Manchester to 'Brum' and 'Manc' respectively. Liverpudlians (aka those from Liverpool) are called Scousers.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

life is a joke posted:

"Rio" for Rio de Janeiro is completely usual in Brazil.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
What forum should I go to to ask a "how to" Facebook question? Having a specific issue involving managing multiple pages.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
Darn, I should have thought of Rio. Thanks for all the other ones too everyone 👍

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Kurzon posted:

Housepets do

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Kurzon posted:

Assuming inflammation from bee stings is an allergic reaction, dogs and cats definitely do. There is a whole subreddit dedicated to dogs stung by bees, and another one dedicated to cats sting by bees.

And man they is swole.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Man, now I want to start a podcast just about that. Like three minute episodes.

Muttonchips
Jun 5, 2014

by Shine
On the Samsung Galaxy S4, is there a way to block JUST numbers from a PRIVATE or UNKNOWN source?

I know you can use the auto-reject feature to block out all calls from a number not on your contact list, but I would like to filter out only PRIVATE or UNKNOWN numbers. I keep getting calls from tele-marketers and they always use a private or unknown number. One of them even left a blank voice mail and it's really annoying. What options do I have?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Muttonchips posted:

On the Samsung Galaxy S4, is there a way to block JUST numbers from a PRIVATE or UNKNOWN source?

I know you can use the auto-reject feature to block out all calls from a number not on your contact list, but I would like to filter out only PRIVATE or UNKNOWN numbers. I keep getting calls from tele-marketers and they always use a private or unknown number. One of them even left a blank voice mail and it's really annoying. What options do I have?

Ignore calls, go on with life?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Muttonchips posted:

Answer the call, asked to be removed from their list. Legally they can call you endlessly until you explicitly tell them to be removed from their list.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

FCKGW posted:

Answer the call, asked to be removed from their list. Legally they can call you endlessly until you explicitly tell them to be removed from their list.

That's not true. Unsolicited telemarketing to cell phones remains illegal unless done by certain political campaigns and non profit organizations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

fishmech posted:

That's not true. Unsolicited telemarketing to cell phones remains illegal unless done by certain political campaigns and non profit organizations.

Correct but you most people somehow got on their list one way or another though legitimate means like a sweepstakes or some online form. Even if the company is illegally calling you then telling them you want to be removed tells them to not waste their time and they're likely to stop calling you anyways.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

When you pick up and get a recording telling you that you won a cruise, who are you going to tell to take you off their list? There's no one at the other end to listen or give a poo poo.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Van Dis posted:

Are marriages performed by ships' captains legitimate, and do airline pilots have the same credentials, and if not why not?

As a general rule, ship's captains can't actually perform marriages unless they have filled out the proper forms. Without the proper paperwork they can perform common law marriages, which are kind of sort of marriages, depending on the jurisdiction.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Suppose you had a completely airtight chamber. It's not a vacuum inside but it's so perfectly sealed that there is no possibility of any wind or air current or pressure change affecting the air inside this chamber. For the sake of argument, lets also say that external temperature changes can't affect the air inside either.

Inside this chamber is a machine. The machine is designed to flip coins. It flips coins with exactly the same amount of force every single time.

Would the coin land on the same side every time?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Earwicker posted:

Depends on if it was flipped by the first toss? :v:

It also depends on if the machine can hit the coin in the exact same offset from its centre of mass each time - which will start to slightly change with wear. If the conditions were reset every single time then it wouldn't make sense for the coin to do anything but flip to the same position every time.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Earwicker posted:

Suppose you had a completely airtight chamber. It's not a vacuum inside but it's so perfectly sealed that there is no possibility of any wind or air current or pressure change affecting the air inside this chamber. For the sake of argument, lets also say that external temperature changes can't affect the air inside either.

Inside this chamber is a machine. The machine is designed to flip coins. It flips coins with exactly the same amount of force every single time.

If the machine is set to flip them appropriately directly onto a flat side and doesn't shoot them very high in the air, yes, it would be relatively easy to reproduce the same flips each time.

There probably would be a point where if the machine used a great deal of force, there would be enough random movement of air from the coin's movement that the result could still be somewhat random even if the machine was set to use the same force for any series of flips.

You can think of it this way: imagine first that the machine simply "turns" the coin over from one side to the other without the coin actually losing complete contact with the surface it's on (thus the coin only flips from one side to the other). Then imagine you increase the force the machine uses so that the coin leaves the surface but produces only a single full rotation before coming to rest (thus the coin flips back onto the same side each time). Further iterate this idea with the coin flipping higher upward and completing more rotations each time. At some point the movement of the coin would 1) stir enough air to cause random disturbances which could slow/speed the rotation enough to be inconsistent on each flip 2) the rotation and/or vertical velocity of the coin would eventually become high enough to cause the coin to have a significant bounce when it landed which could also introduce randomness. In these cases, #1 could be mitigated by having the chamber be a vacuum and #2 could be mitigated by having the coin land on a surface which was softened to reduce potential rebound.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Earwicker posted:

If that was desired behaviour, yes, we can already do this very reliably without a sealed chamber in normal indoor conditions.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Crankit posted:

If that was desired behaviour, yes, we can already do this very reliably without a sealed chamber in normal indoor conditions.

Don't normal indoor conditions involve enough air currents to alter the coin's progress through the air, just based on people walking around and breathing etc?

flowinprose posted:

There probably would be a point where if the machine used a great deal of force, there would be enough random movement of air from the coin's movement that the result could still be somewhat random even if the machine was set to use the same force for any series of flips.

Yeah that's mostly what I'm curious about - if you eliminate as many random influences as possible and try to control every little factor is there still some element of randomness or some way that the air is affected by the act of flipping itself

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Earwicker posted:

Yeah that's mostly what I'm curious about - if you eliminate as many random influences as possible and try to control every little factor is there still some element of randomness or some way that the air is affected by the act of flipping itself

Sure, if the coin is flipping very quickly or moving very quickly then the effect of even very tiny differences in air pressure/movement could have a significant impact. Imagine attempting to flip a coin 20-30 feet in the air (even in an air-tight chamber with no "wind") and reproduce the same coin flip every time.

However, what I'm describing is probably not a typical "coin-flip" type of scenario. In the context of a typical coin-flip where you're flipping it maybe 6-12 inches into the air and it's only going to rotate a few times, then it should be pretty easy to get consistently reproducible results.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

FCKGW posted:

This is really loving stupid advice. All it does is tell them that your phone number is live and good, so they sell it to other people.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Thanatosian posted:

This is really loving stupid advice. All it does is tell them that your phone number is live and good, so they sell it to other people.

No, it's really not. You can 3 options with unsolicited calls.

1) Answer the call and ask to be removed from the list or, if automated, press the button that removes you from the list. They then remove you from the list.
2) Answer the call and ask to be removed from the list or, if automated, press the button that removes you from the list. They don't and they keep calling you.
3) Don't answer the call and then they keep calling you.

Only one option has the possible outcome of stopping unwanted calls. Not answering does't mean anything, they just keep trying until they hit something that isn't voicemail.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Or you can hit the little button on your phone that mutes the call, and go on with your loving life.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

FCKGW posted:

1) Answer the call and ask to be removed from the list or, if automated, press the button that removes you from the list. They then remove you from the list.
2) Answer the call and ask to be removed from the list or, if automated, press the button that removes you from the list. They don't and they keep calling you.

Only one option has the possible outcome of stopping unwanted calls. Not answering does't mean anything, they just keep trying until they hit something that isn't voicemail.

You do realize that a lot of unsolicited calls people get nowadays are in fact scammers and not legitimate business that will abide by any rules at all, right?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Hi this is Jessica with credit card services

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Oh did they fire Rachel finally?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

FCKGW posted:

lol

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

FCKGW posted:

This is "if you ask a cop if he's a cop, he has to say 'yes'" levels of stupid.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Let's say I'm writing "He coordinated 400 shipments and two training programs."

Would it read better if I standardized the format of the numbers? Like 400 shipments and 2 training programs in place of what I currently have -- even though my usual practice is to spell out numbers below a hundred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Vegetable posted:

Let's say I'm writing "He coordinated 400 shipments and two training programs."

Would it read better if I standardized the format of the numbers? Like 400 shipments and 2 training programs in place of what I currently have -- even though my usual practice is to spell out numbers below a hundred.

I think I was always thought to spell out numbers under 20.

That said, I think it reads much better if you standardize the format within the same sentence like you did.