Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Valicious posted:

I just remember reading people talking a lot about Google Voice and Project Fi in the same posts - not on here, but other forums that I came across while researching. Does Fi support HD Voice?

I know it doesn't support HD Voice from Fi to Sprint since there was no HD voice thing in the corner, and calling from Fi to Fi there was nothing that indicated HD Voice was in use and the call sounded like any other regular call. Don't know anyone who has t-mobile so I couldn't test Fi to t-mobile, but I'm going to guess that doesn't work either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010

McPhearson posted:

I know it doesn't support HD Voice from Fi to Sprint since there was no HD voice thing in the corner, and calling from Fi to Fi there was nothing that indicated HD Voice was in use and the call sounded like any other regular call. Don't know anyone who has t-mobile so I couldn't test Fi to t-mobile, but I'm going to guess that doesn't work either.

Daaaaaaaaang :( Really needed that HD Voice...like that might be the dealbreaker (stupid paralyzed vocals chords)
5x owners, suggest me a case and screen protector!

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

Valicious posted:

5x owners, suggest me a case and screen protector!

Incipio Co-molded. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B018J4B87W/ref=sr_rp_1?m=A1NTFIQ3BWWBWR&ie=UTF8&qid=1458649552&sr=sr-1&keywords=incipio+nexus+5x

I've always liked Incipio but this is the nicest case I've ever had. It feels solid yet I'll guess it won't have the short comings of their dual-layer ones (soft neoprene-ish material with hard out shell). The dual-layer ones really do add to the bulk and I always have the soft shell bow at openings. The soft shell always got lint fuzz on it too. This co-molded one is fantastic.

I can't speak to screen protectors. I don't use them. I only put phones in one pocket, nothing else.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Phone's in, service is activated! Let's see how this goes.

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
Just ordered the 32BG Nexus 5x in Charcoal, a Xtreme Guard Spartan TGSP, and now I'm trying to decide on a case. I've been told Driztonic is good. Are there any battery cases out there?
I hope I don't regret getting the 5X over the 6P. I've been reading about poor battery life, yellowish screen tint, and slow downs due to lack of RAM...

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

My 5X is completely fine, if that makes you feel better. It doesn't have Note-level battery life, but it'll make it through a day.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Valicious posted:

Just ordered the 32BG Nexus 5x in Charcoal, a Xtreme Guard Spartan TGSP, and now I'm trying to decide on a case. I've been told Driztonic is good. Are there any battery cases out there?
I hope I don't regret getting the 5X over the 6P. I've been reading about poor battery life, yellowish screen tint, and slow downs due to lack of RAM...

Case - get the Google one with the fabric back, it's dope
Battery - I get about 2-3 hours of screen on time and a full day's use with no battery saving measures
Tint - none on mine, new update gives you the option to go cooler on colors if you want though
Slowdowns - fixed post-March update

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
When you get it, let me know if you see the same kind of weird distortion on the front facing camera.. I've gone back and forth with Google only to have them tell me, "yep, that's a thing."

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Just had a random 800 MB of background data used on my 6p, sudden departure from my regular usage of under 200 MB a month. I saw someone else has the same thing, what was it?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

TheLawinator posted:

Just had a random 800 MB of background data used on my 6p, sudden departure from my regular usage of under 200 MB a month. I saw someone else has the same thing, what was it?

I think there was some bug with Play Services and if you hit up support they'll credit you.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
Just got the 5x today, moving from the $30/mo $100 talk Unlimited Text/data (5gb 4g speed) to this. I don't use cell data that much anyway so this will probably save me $10/mo
I go in town once a week or so, although who knows if that'll change whenever I move.

The phone is a lot better than my Galaxy Avant, although native alarm options are less which makes me :saddowns:
Haven't messed with it much but there are probably some other nuances I have to get used to.

I see someone linked a protector above. If I never really leave the house do you think I would even need it?

edit:

amenenema posted:

Case - get the Google one with the fabric back, it's dope
https://store.google.com/product/adopted_folio_n5x <- oh poo poo that looks neato.

ThndrShk2k fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 26, 2016

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I've been enjoying my hard case:

http://www.amazon.com/i-Blason-Armorbox-Hybrid-Built-protector/dp/B015X7P59K

And when I slip the entire thing in here:

http://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Case-Bag-Eco-Friendly-3iArt%C2%AE/dp/B00XV9TKK8

I have filmed video underwater, it works perfectly. I bought that for kayaking but decided to play do some testing first.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

GORDON posted:

I've been enjoying my hard case:

http://www.amazon.com/i-Blason-Armorbox-Hybrid-Built-protector/dp/B015X7P59K

And when I slip the entire thing in here:

http://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Case-Bag-Eco-Friendly-3iArt%C2%AE/dp/B00XV9TKK8

I have filmed video underwater, it works perfectly. I bought that for kayaking but decided to play do some testing first.

does it fit a 6p I wonder

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I switched to fi a couple of weeks ago and so far the service has been great. What I find funny though is that my 6p can't seem to find a tower to connect to while I'm on the Sprint campus.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

That's because Sprint is absolute dogshit, ESPECIALLY in the KC Metro.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

No Butt Stuff posted:

That's because Sprint is absolute dogshit, ESPECIALLY in the KC Metro.

Sprint has always been pretty good around the metro area for me with the major exception being the Sprint campus. There have been complaints about that for a really long time.

The biggest thing I've noticed with Fi so far is that I have LTE inside in way more places than when I just had Sprint. Gotta love hitting T-mobile towers too. The ultimate test for me will be what kind of signal I get at a couple of the restaurants around Gregory & Prospect that I like going to. They're almost a complete dead zone for Sprint.

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
Can I use Fi at all with my iPhone 4S?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Valicious posted:

Can I use Fi at all with my iPhone 4S?

Nope

Legerdemain
May 3, 2007

Maybe there's something wrong with me, Nanny.
Nearly 6 days since activation and I can't send or receive texts from most people. They sent it up to their engineers yesterday, hope it doesn't take forever. I'm missing out on the precious little social interaction I get. :(

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Are you using hangouts integration?

Legerdemain
May 3, 2007

Maybe there's something wrong with me, Nanny.
Nope, I don't even know what hangouts is tbh, but I went through all those troubleshooting steps. I can text a couple people so I assume everything's set up correctly on my end.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Did you come from an iPhone?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Weird issue helping set up someone's new 5X with Fi today: everything worked except SMS from their phone to mine, also Fi, which just silently never reached me. Rebooted both phones then noticed their Contacts entry for me had no area code on my phone number. Added that and it worked. Both phone numbers have the same area code, and we were physically located in what I guess is the natural area for that code. Voice calls worked fine. I don't know anything about how SMS is routed but I can imagine maybe Project Fi's magic might care about it. Curious, could the area code have been the problem or was it more likely just a mysterious bug that the reboots fixed?

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
I think it was just a quirk with Google Voice.

Maine only has 1 area code and I've had to add 207 to all my contacts since 2009 when I got Gvoice.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Anybody switched from T-Mobile to Project Fi willing to share their experience? I have a Moto X gen 1

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Anybody switched from T-Mobile to Project Fi willing to share their experience? I have a Moto X gen 1

You will enjoy a current generation pure android phone like the 5x or 6p.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Switched from a Nexus 4 on tmob. Port took like literally 3 minutes and everything migrated perfectly. 10/10.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Smythe posted:

Switched from a Nexus 4 on tmob. Port took like literally 3 minutes and everything migrated perfectly. 10/10.

rad, thx

Ranter posted:

You will enjoy a current generation pure android phone like the 5x or 6p.

lol, moto x 1 has aged really well for me. besides that it's a wee bit slow sometimes

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I'm just pointing out that you will be getting a new phone because you can't use the moto x on Fi. Not everyone realizes that.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

oh yes, I'm aware of that, thanks. I plan to turn my moto x 1 into a guinea pig for some good ol' fashioned app testing

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:
I have to say, I just got Comcast because I'm moving and holy poo poo they have hotspots EVERYWHERE. Fully expecting my Fi bill to be lower this month.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Tots posted:

I have to say, I just got Comcast because I'm moving and holy poo poo they have hotspots EVERYWHERE. Fully expecting my Fi bill to be lower this month.

Yeah if you rent your equipment from comcast they put a second AP on your modem/router that's xfinity wifi. Apparently it's sectioned off from your LAN but it basically lets them turn everyone's house into a wifi hotspot.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Can Fi actually use xfinitywifi? I thought they had captive portals which need a Comcast account.

The Drifter
Apr 21, 2006

azurite posted:

Can Fi actually use xfinitywifi? I thought they had captive portals which need a Comcast account.

Well, I'm not familiar with xfinitywifi, but I'd assume you sign in with your Comcast account initially and then that device is whitelisted to connect to any hotspot. At least, that's how it is here with optimumwifi

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

On my iPhone, I had to install a security certificate from Comcast to connect to Xfinity hotspots.

Truthfully, I find them to be more of a hassle than they're actually worth.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
They work in a pinch and range from worthless to OK. Most of the time I'd I connect to VPN while using one they become unusable so I try to avoid them unless needed.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:
I put in my info once and it's connected to every hotspot that I'm in range of since seamlessly. (Also I bought my own modem BC I'm no dummy.)

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I didn't know about this modem thing, and now I definitely want to replace mine. What's a good off-the-shelf modem for Comcast?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Takoluka posted:

I didn't know about this modem thing, and now I definitely want to replace mine. What's a good off-the-shelf modem for Comcast?

Arris/Motorola SB6141

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Takoluka posted:

It depends on what services you have:
https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/list-of-approved-cable-modems/

Stop by the home networking megathread if you need a hand.