Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

The Ferret King posted:

Looks like it might be the curse of flying into freezing fog.

Well, yeah. The MU-2 isn't literally cursed; it is a safe airplane (and quite a nice one, I'm told) when flown as intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

PT6A posted:

Well, yeah. The MU-2 isn't literally cursed; it is a safe airplane (and quite a nice one, I'm told) when flown as intended.

Yeah they're neat. As you and probably many in this thread already know, the MU-2 has a unique pilot certification requirement in the U.S. because of its safety records. Implementing the required type rating drastically improved its safety numbers.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Just about every country in the world with a MU-2 fleet has adopted the type rating/SFAR guidelines.

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured

Animal posted:

I didn't give a poo poo before, not an airplane nerd, but I am falling deeply in love with Boeing engineering. Passed my B-767-300 systems oral. It's so retro futuristic and semi-automatic. And some of the system design choices... I can picture some dorky aerospace engineer sperg making decisions on how things should be that totally make sense in their head but now leave pilots scratching theirs :swoon:

First of all, congratulations! Second, if you think the 767 is good imagine how good we got it on the Gucci jet ;). Good luck flying the giant video game! Where is your sim at? Pan am?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Embraer planes are Good Airplanes in the back. The Bro was cool, the 145 is nice for the A seats, and the E170/175/190 are fantastic designs.

Jealous Cow posted:

What kind of flights are served by E-jets that are long enough where someone would want airline food?

At least one CMH-DEN segment is an E170 or E175 on UA.

I believe CMH-SLC was DL's first E170 route in 2005 or so. I think it ran CMH-JFK-CMH-SLC-CMH.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
They're pretty good airplanes in the front too. The automation is dumb at times but that's overcome by disconnecting it/outsmarting it/being a pilot.
Packs usually do an ok job, hell of a lot better than a CRJ-200 or MD88, but sometimes they just suck and idk the flight attendants and pax are yelling at us about it being hot/cold/whatever even tho we have it commanded to a comfortable temp and they're just deciding nah gently caress you ima blast cold/hot air in the back *shrug* Overall, no complaints. I wish the flap speeds were a little better and it'd be nice if it had a little more performance above 320 when heavy/in the climb. "can you guys be level at 350 in 2 minutes" "uhh........ maybe". Also .78- .80 for a max practical speed is a bit on the slow side.. but yea I like the dumb thing, what can I say. You get used to the oddities.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

The Slaughter posted:

Hi! E-175 driver here. We have ovens! This has nothing to do with the E170/175, and everything to do with air canada. We serve hot food on plenty of flights in first. (I want to say 900+ or maybe it's 999+ miles too lazy to go look it up.)

Also, as to the "why would you want a meal", I've blocked over 5 hours in that thing after we had to deice in Fairbanks. That's plenty long enough to want a meal. The average stage being closer to about 2 1/2 hrs tho, but a few good 3-3.5 hr runs that are more typical.

Well, Air Canada is terrible in almost every way so I'm not surprised they were either stupid or lying.

They are likeable planes in every other respect, I agree. I think I'm on an E195 coming up, LCG-MAD on Air Europa.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

hobbesmaster posted:

Well, someone hasn't been in first class.

Meals in domestic first suck rear end with the possible exception of UA/DL New York - LAX/SFO routes.

Domestic first class meals are basically international economy meals.

Now international business/first meals... Delicious.

Not worth the $10k ticket.

CBJSprague24 posted:

At least one CMH-DEN segment is an E170 or E175 on UA.

I believe CMH-SLC was DL's first E170 route in 2005 or so. I think it ran CMH-JFK-CMH-SLC-CMH.

Just remembered this one:

Jealous Cow fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Mar 30, 2016

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

That's enough to cover the block time pay of the entire regional flight crew operating the flight. In one economy ticket.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Animal posted:

That's enough to cover the block time pay of the entire regional flight crew operating the flight. In one economy ticket.

I routinely spend $1k plus taking regional connection flights between cities near New York and New York.

45 minutes on a CRJ/EMB.

$1k+

Every week.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Jealous Cow posted:

I routinely spend $1k plus taking regional connection flights between cities near New York and New York.

45 minutes on a CRJ/EMB.

$1k+

Every week.

It'd almost be cheaper to buy your own plane and fly yourself at that point.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

e.pilot posted:

It'd almost be cheaper to buy your own plane and fly yourself at that point.

I know consulting companies that have done this when a carrier won't play ball and they know the 16 of their employees flying every week are propping up the route.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

sellouts posted:

I know consulting companies that have done this when a carrier won't play ball and they know the 16 of their employees flying every week are propping up the route.

It isn't that bad but it's one of the symptoms of flying to a hub all the time as your final destination.

RIC-JFK-SFO is usually ~$600 a week out.
RIC-JFK is usually ~$1150 a week out.

For reference:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Jealous Cow posted:

It isn't that bad but it's one of the symptoms of flying to a hub all the time as your final destination.

For reference:

Off-topic, but which site did you use to get the graphic and the price trends? I know Bing used to do that, but I thought they got rid of it.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
That's Kayak

Edit: For content, matrix.itasoftware.com is God's choice for researching bookings, then take the booking code/flight codes direct to the airlines.

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 30, 2016

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

SeaborneClink posted:

That's Kayak

Edit: For content, matrix.itasoftware.com is God's choice for researching bookings, then take the booking code/flight codes direct to the airlines.

I get to use the delight that is Amex Business Travel which prefers 3 stops and 19 hours as long as it's $1 less than the non-stop option.

Or I call the Delta Diamond Medallion line and get my dick wallet sucked.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Jealous Cow posted:

Have you looked at charter? It'd be competitive with that $1150 fare and you can go into smaller and presumably more convenient airports.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

sanchez posted:

Have you looked at charter? It'd be competitive with that $1150 fare and you can go into smaller and presumably more convenient airports.

Particularly if there's more than one of you travelling on a regular basis.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

sanchez posted:

It isn't regular enough and it's usually very short notice. I've flown every week since the end of January but only to New York about 3/4 of those weeks.

I travel a lot for work lol

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Say, hypothetically, that I wanted to finish my PPL after a large gap in training. What kind of time limits are there on the hours and test requirements?

I did 25 hours in a Cessna for initial Navy flight training in 2009, including taking the FAA test and doing a solo cross country. I'm assuming I'd have to redo the test, but do any of the hours carry over? I still have my logbook somewhere.

As an NFO (back seater), it's something I've been vaguely considering for a while as a pilot appreciation measure, and a way to broaden my overall aviation skills. I'm fairly familiar with (military) flight procedures and radio comms, but it would be good to brush up on stick and rudder skills and flight regulations. Plus, it's a way better view.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
The hours are still good.

I think written test results are good for 1 year. 2 years: https://www.faa.gov/pilots/become/knowledge/

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Apr 1, 2016

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Say, hypothetically, that I wanted to finish my PPL after a large gap in training. What kind of time limits are there on the hours and test requirements?

I did 25 hours in a Cessna for initial Navy flight training in 2009, including taking the FAA test and doing a solo cross country. I'm assuming I'd have to redo the test, but do any of the hours carry over? I still have my logbook somewhere.

As an NFO (back seater), it's something I've been vaguely considering for a while as a pilot appreciation measure, and a way to broaden my overall aviation skills. I'm fairly familiar with (military) flight procedures and radio comms, but it would be good to brush up on stick and rudder skills and flight regulations. Plus, it's a way better view.

All the hours count and you'll have to redo the test as it's only good for two years. But the minimum is 40 hours so by the time you've brushed up on everything again you'll probably be set.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
There are some special parameters for military.... For example, look up SFAR 100-2 (I'd link but on cell). It should apply in your case - it resets the clock for any expired written test to return from deployment + 6 months indefinitely.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

xaarman posted:

There are some special parameters for military.... For example, look up SFAR 100-2 (I'd link but on cell). It should apply in your case - it resets the clock for any expired written test to return from deployment + 6 months indefinitely.

It doesn't look like that would apply for me; I've been on shore duty for the last year, and it's probably a good idea to do the test again anyway since it's been so long.

Now, if a military flight physical counts towards your Class 3 medical certificate, that would be pretty nice. I remember having to get a separate physical from an FAA doc during training, but maybe that was some special training bullshit. Not a huge deal if it doesn't, it would just cut out one extra pain in the rear end.

Good to know that the hours still count, though!

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Wingnut Ninja posted:

It doesn't look like that would apply for me; I've been on shore duty for the last year, and it's probably a good idea to do the test again anyway since it's been so long.

Now, if a military flight physical counts towards your Class 3 medical certificate, that would be pretty nice. I remember having to get a separate physical from an FAA doc during training, but maybe that was some special training bullshit. Not a huge deal if it doesn't, it would just cut out one extra pain in the rear end.

Good to know that the hours still count, though!

A military flight surgeon can fill out the FAA form. When you get your next flight physical, that should be all you need.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Psshaw, you'll go overseas eventually.

OR

Everyone highly sheppardair.com to memorize their tricks for a few hours, test, and brain dump.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Richard Branson has put up the For Sale sign at Virgin America, and jetBlue and Alaska are supposedly interested.

Apparently Alaska is offering $2B. What VX has to offer that AS might want, other than maybe gate space at LAX and SFO, is beyond me. AS has been "proudly all-Boeing", while VX is Airbus, but that didn't seem to bother any of the traditional A or B airlines during merger mania.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Jealous Cow posted:

It isn't regular enough and it's usually very short notice. I've flown every week since the end of January but only to New York about 3/4 of those weeks.

I travel a lot for work lol

A fractional could do that.

AWSEFT fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 2, 2016

The Duke of Avon
Apr 12, 2011

CBJSprague24 posted:

Richard Branson has put up the For Sale sign at Virgin America, and jetBlue and Alaska are supposedly interested.

Apparently Alaska is offering $2B. What VX has to offer that AS might want, other than maybe gate space at LAX and SFO, is beyond me. AS has been "proudly all-Boeing", while VX is Airbus, but that didn't seem to bother any of the traditional A or B airlines during merger mania.

I work for one of the above-mentioned airlines and pretty much no one knows what the gently caress is going on here. Even the pilot gossip network has not provided me with a convincing reason for why we might be doing this. :iiam:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

Does VX have any gates at Seattle?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
So JBU was training everyone on ETOPS at one point and abruptly stopped a few months ago except the maintenance guys kept training (and still are)...

From what I heard is that ASA got involved purely because JBU is showing interest and has no intention of moving forward. JBU wants ETOPS and they don't have it. VRD has it and the certification transfers over if they're bought. JBU and VRD Airbuses share the same type rating (although VRD uses different engines).

edit: well poo poo

two_beer_bishes fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Apr 5, 2016

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

Does VX have any gates at Seattle?

Apparently B1 and B11 from a quick glance in a thread on Airliners.

There's another report saying it's just a controlling interest and not something which would be a takeover or merger.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Delta/Alaska battle for Seattle is illogical enough that I would not be shocked if they seriously were just looking to spend $100mil/ gate.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

The cynic in me thinks Alaska wants to exploit the relatively weak scope clause in their pilot contract, and try and do a mainline whipsaw by threatening to give flying to whatever pilot group agrees to take concessions of some kind.

Realistically, it's probably an attempt to compete with Delta and just run Virgin as a separate airline, or an attempt to get rid of an airline Alaska views as a potential threat by returning VX's leased airplanes, selling off whatever assets they own outright, and just keeping landing slots or any other assets that Alaska wants to hang on to.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Apr 3, 2016

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Alaska buys Virgin America.

http://splash.alaskasworld.com/Newsroom/ASNews/ASstories/AS_20160404_025411.asp

Sounds like it might be more of an acquisition than merger, as Alaska is going to try to figure out how they might be able to keep the Virgin brand alive. I smell Virgin America being Alaska's version of jetBlue's Mint/American's Flagship Service/Delta's 757s with lie-flat seats on LAX/SFO-JFK or other premium routes.

Or that could just be PR fluff akin to how United was committed to keeping CLE as a hub and not having any intentions to keep it open the 3 years required by legislators and then pulling the plug as soon as that requirement died no siree bob.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

CBJSprague24 posted:

Or that could just be PR fluff akin to how United was committed to keeping CLE as a hub and not having any intentions to keep it open the 3 years required by legislators and then pulling the plug as soon as that requirement died no siree bob.

This really pissed me off. Flights from CLE used to be tops. At least they still have directs to LAX and SFO.

Also regarding Delta/SEA, it doesn't seem like they're trying to be competitive to me. Flights from some of the east coast spokes to SEA run $700 at minimum up to $2000+ for loving economy.

I looked at flights from ATL and DTW and they're still up between $600-$1000.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Jealous Cow posted:

This really pissed me off. Flights from CLE used to be tops. At least they still have directs to LAX and SFO.

Also regarding Delta/SEA, it doesn't seem like they're trying to be competitive to me. Flights from some of the east coast spokes to SEA run $700 at minimum up to $2000+ for loving economy.

As a DL flyer, I miss CVG as a hub option (CMH is home and they axed all the flights from cities which could've leaked from CVG, i.e. CMH, DAY, LEX, SDF, IND). ATL is alright, I fly through MSP too little to count, DTW sucks.

On a related note, I miss MEM, too. The delightful cesspool; dated, but retro and pretty cool in the same vein.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

Jealous Cow posted:

Right cause they assume people in cities they control are gonna be flying them. The discounts come for people in markets that actually have competition, they'll send them thru Atl or Msp to sea for cheap. Also for the international traffic, to Nrt/Hkg/pvg/lhr/ams etc out of sea.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

The Slaughter posted:

Right cause they assume people in cities they control are gonna be flying them. The discounts come for people in markets that actually have competition, they'll send them thru Atl or Msp to sea for cheap. Also for the international traffic, to Nrt/Hkg/pvg/lhr/ams etc out of sea.

RIC has tons of competition and fares are still insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

CBJSprague24 posted:

As a DL flyer, I miss CVG as a hub option (CMH is home and they axed all the flights from cities which could've leaked from CVG, i.e. CMH, DAY, LEX, SDF, IND). ATL is alright, I fly through MSP too little to count, DTW sucks.

On a related note, I miss MEM, too. The delightful cesspool; dated, but retro and pretty cool in the same vein.

In the mid 00's I was stationed in Germany and flew Frankfurt -> Little Rock quite often, and much preferred Cincinnati over Atlanta as a stopover.

I fly into Memphis a lot now whenever I visit home, and I agree about the retro-ness. Little Rock is the same way. There's been some construction at Memphis in the past few years though, it has a new labyrinthine parking structure and arrivals/departures area and a super-long walk to the rental car area.

• Locked thread