Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
go coming to steam soon

http://www.usgo.org/news/2016/04/steam-moving-ahead-with-first-go-client/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Oof, that might be a bit too minimalist. Hopefully they update with more features over time.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
"Built on the Unreal 4 Engine."

= (?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InBZINtS0ec

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Can I get an invite to ITGO on KGS? IGN is 'Mederlock"

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i just want to see achievments pop when i get killer wins yo

Tigern
Sep 6, 2012

possibly tiger
Grimey Drawer
This will be great for introducing some of my friends to Go!

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
Yeah, hopefully this is the first step toward a really nice, full featured Go program a la Chessmaster. I've wanted something like that for a long, long time.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Is anyone willing to review this game I played today? I was black: http://eidogo.com/#1mcxs2Jgv

I felt pretty good about the opening until move 35, I think it was too small and I would've been better off playing on the left side and trying to secure a better base. Messing up the left side let my opponent take control of the entire bottom.

Move 119 was a misclick, I have no good excuse for move 121.

I think Move 131 would have been better at H16, I was just so focused on trying to secure the right side that I didn't think about sente.

Is there anything specific that I should read up on or focus on in my future games? Anything I should avoid doing?

impulse 7 effect
Jun 2, 2011

HummedExplosions posted:

Is anyone willing to review this game I played today? I was black: http://eidogo.com/#1mcxs2Jgv

I felt pretty good about the opening until move 35, I think it was too small and I would've been better off playing on the left side and trying to secure a better base. Messing up the left side let my opponent take control of the entire bottom.

I think Move 131 would have been better at H16, I was just so focused on trying to secure the right side that I didn't think about sente.

Is there anything specific that I should read up on or focus on in my future games? Anything I should avoid doing?

Fix one thing? Move 21. If you get the chance to confine your opponent to the corner while there are bigger sides to play for, go for it. That would have been the 5-5 as otherwise he's now got two lonely b stones to attack and one's gonna go down or give up a lot of territory in the painful struggle.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

HummedExplosions posted:

Black 13 is good - continue doing this against bad ddk's that play slow moves. Same with black 19.

White 20 should come out and not in, so you should play at e5 to contain him else you are liable to be split into two. Also you can follow up there at B4 or D2 (Look up the joseki when white gets triple approached then plays 3-3) to get a nice wall later on if you do this else he dies.

Black 23 - Since you didn't pseudo connect where you should have at e5, you should play e5. But since you missed that, you should make a base for one of your two groups I think. Maybe black 23 is ok because if white attacks one group you can help the other and treat the attacked group lightly.

Black 31 - I would either make a base on the left or grow with something like N7. The shape you made for the corner is really bad in respect to the 3-3, so you should play P16 instead locally.

B 35 - If you blocked there, don't you have to defend at S5 or something?

B 39 - I think yuo should play D7 to come out and then if white atari's you, you atari at F8 to come out then play E5 AGAIN OH MY GOD E5.If white cuts at d6 and you play d5, he's hurting his corner. If he atari at E7 you connect and now his corner is worse and he has a fairly weak stone that he needs to save somehow now or else you get an eye for free.

White 40 is bad and white should try to seal you in rather than take your base. Maybe E6?

Black 41 does nothing

Stop playing moves like Black 53. You just give white a free forcing move like white 54. STOP IT. STOP DOING THIS poo poo NOW.

White 56 - He just let you live easily instead of killing you because when he saves these stones, there's no escape and you won't be able to live on the inside.

Black 61 - gently caress this poo poo. Play something bigger. C18? N7? F15? L10?

END OF REVIEW

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

impulse 7 effect posted:

Fix one thing? Move 21. If you get the chance to confine your opponent to the corner while there are bigger sides to play for, go for it. That would have been the 5-5 as otherwise he's now got two lonely b stones to attack and one's gonna go down or give up a lot of territory in the painful struggle.

Thanks, E5 seems like it would've led to a much better outcome.

AdorableStar posted:

Black 13 is good - continue doing this against bad ddk's that play slow moves. Same with black 19.

White 20 should come out and not in, so you should play at e5 to contain him else you are liable to be split into two. Also you can follow up there at B4 or D2 (Look up the joseki when white gets triple approached then plays 3-3) to get a nice wall later on if you do this else he dies.

Black 23 - Since you didn't pseudo connect where you should have at e5, you should play e5. But since you missed that, you should make a base for one of your two groups I think. Maybe black 23 is ok because if white attacks one group you can help the other and treat the attacked group lightly.

Black 31 - I would either make a base on the left or grow with something like N7. The shape you made for the corner is really bad in respect to the 3-3, so you should play P16 instead locally.

B 35 - If you blocked there, don't you have to defend at S5 or something?

B 39 - I think yuo should play D7 to come out and then if white atari's you, you atari at F8 to come out then play E5 AGAIN OH MY GOD E5.If white cuts at d6 and you play d5, he's hurting his corner. If he atari at E7 you connect and now his corner is worse and he has a fairly weak stone that he needs to save somehow now or else you get an eye for free.

White 40 is bad and white should try to seal you in rather than take your base. Maybe E6?

Black 41 does nothing

Stop playing moves like Black 53. You just give white a free forcing move like white 54. STOP IT. STOP DOING THIS poo poo NOW.

White 56 - He just let you live easily instead of killing you because when he saves these stones, there's no escape and you won't be able to live on the inside.

Black 61 - gently caress this poo poo. Play something bigger. C18? N7? F15? L10?

END OF REVIEW

Thanks for the advice, this is all really helpful. With regards to B31 - bad in respect to the 3-3 meaning that if white invades at the 3-3 point he takes a lot of territory in the corner? Would W88 have been better at R17 than P18?

For B53 - Is there a better way to play locally or was I just screwed because I had already messed that side up? A4?

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

It's bad because you invested 3 moves to enclose the corner but it doesn't actually enclose the corner.

Just connect instead for B53 or play a mvoe that allows for a ko.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I just rage-resigned a won game after a group I thought was alive died

gently caress me

Hardest part of the game: estimating score

e: other new players should definitely learn to play go with me, it's a great game that is never stressful

Lil Jon Galt
May 22, 2002

IS A MAN NOT ENTITLED TO THE SWEAT DROP DOWN MY BALLS?

nrook posted:

I just rage-resigned a won game after a group I thought was alive died

gently caress me

Hardest part of the game: estimating score

e: other new players should definitely learn to play go with me, it's a great game that is never stressful

What's your name on kgs? I'm up for a game pretty much whenever

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I've just been playing on ogs, I'll get around to signing up on kgs tonight

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I'm on kgs now! Username: nrook

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

I really hate defending against the monkey jump, especially in a live game when there's limited time to play out the variations. Conversely, I never use the monkey jump, but probably should look for the opportunity as it creates really complex situations that can throw your opponent off.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Also, I thought this was funny:

AlphaGo can't beat me, says Chinese Go grandmaster Ke Jie on March 10, after Lee Sedol loses Game 2

Chinese Go master Ke Jie says he could lose to AlphaGo on March 14, after Lee Sedol wins Game 4, but has still lost the match

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Overwined posted:

I really hate defending against the monkey jump, especially in a live game when there's limited time to play out the variations. Conversely, I never use the monkey jump, but probably should look for the opportunity as it creates really complex situations that can throw your opponent off.

I always love playing the monkey jump until the opponent plays in the middle point and I get buyers remorse and want to actually connect back up.

Lil Jon Galt
May 22, 2002

IS A MAN NOT ENTITLED TO THE SWEAT DROP DOWN MY BALLS?
Go is the ultimate game of buyer's remorse

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Even though I am new and bad, at least there is always play out the ladder guy to make me feel better

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
I'm trying to actually read before I play moves now and it's yielding decent results

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

I decided to start playing Go.
My username is "STK"

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

I know I talked about this in the Discord channel, but holy hell the ranking system on OGS is balls-retarded. I wish I could find the account, but last night I was looking at a guy who was 17k in live games, 16k in blitz games, and 16k in correspondence games. His overall rank: 9k

Yet another guy is 2d overall, which is close to a real rank because that's around the strength he plays. But somehow he's 22k in correspondence games so he gets put on a super low bracket in one of the Weekly McMahon Correspondence tournaments. Mercifully he resigned the tournament.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Yeah, it's goofy. I (13k) lose to oiseeaux (8k) by 4.5 points. I lose rank points.

I then beat a 13k, immediately jump up to 12k.

Shouldn't coming pretty close to someone several ranks better than you in a non-handicap game indicate you're actually a better rank than presently indicated, not worse?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
such a system would lend to abuse, if both players can go up in rank in the same game.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Pander posted:

I always love playing the monkey jump until the opponent plays in the middle point and I get buyers remorse and want to actually connect back up.

not sure what you mean by this. in what situation would you ever not be able to connect back up? that is the point of the monkey jump isnt it?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

totino boy posted:

not sure what you mean by this. in what situation would you ever not be able to connect back up? that is the point of the monkey jump isnt it?

I'm an idiot and confused monkey jump with elephant jump.

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.
If OGS removed the 3 separate ranks and the ability to pick your own rank when making an account, it would be the best server.

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
I enjoy the three ranks but I don't see the need for an overall rank. I play better in standard than I do in blitz, and never play correspondence games. Why not just keep me at a separate rank for each?

Also, what do you guys think of the fact that OGS is non-handicap by default? To me it's interesting and sometimes useful because I tend to enjoy even games much more than handicap games (especially if I'm playing against players higher ranked than me). I could see how some don't like it though.

And if we're talking about weird ranking systems, how about tygem's system where rank ups aren't based on any sort of Elo system but rather the winning % of your last 15 or 20 games? I feel it may be good for people who play a ton, but for those who don't it takes ages to change ranks.

Shadonra
Oct 16, 2012
Tygem's ranking system lets your rank change a lot more than e.g. KGS. If I win 20 games in a row on Tygem, I go up 2 ranks. On KGS that gets me halfway through one rank.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i just want to know how i get the drat points so i can bet on games

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Hoping somebody can help me out here: I just 'completed' Tsumego Pro's 2nd easy challenge of the day but... I don't really know why it's finished?

I mean I think the point was just to keep Black's pieces alive by creating at least two eyes but honestly I have no idea.

Played my first 19x19 game on my brand new board last night though, was fun as gently caress(especially cause I won).

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

Hoping somebody can help me out here: I just 'completed' Tsumego Pro's 2nd easy challenge of the day but... I don't really know why it's finished?

I mean I think the point was just to keep Black's pieces alive by creating at least two eyes but honestly I have no idea.

You got it

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

mycophobia posted:

You got it

:ocelot:

Is Tsumego worth the :10bux: to buy the upgraded version, by the way?

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

I haven't bought it. I do most of my tsumegoing on gochild nowadays

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

I'm guessing you have a different Tsumego App than I do. Mine is free, but costs like $2 for packs of 250 problems of your chosen difficulty level.

EDIT: This is the one I use.

Overwined fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Apr 14, 2016

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I just used tsumego.tasuki.org and it's actually the best free life and death you can do.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
lets all get together and play a bunch of drunk games tonight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
no? well, just me then