Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
An idea.

Have the manufacturers come in with IndyCar and reach an agreement that the car should be divided into a lot of "aero zones" that can be fiddled with, like the current aero boxes. But instead of giving each manufacturer free reign to do whatever they want in that box, you have some sort of auction or draft (heh) pick system to determine which boxes of the car a manufacturer is allowed to develop that season. You can "spend big" on a major aero component and sacrifice the rest of the car, or know that you can make up gains by picking and choosing a lot of small components that may add up to a big gain. This would make the cars look different, because the manufacturers are being forced to alter different areas of the car.

No clue how this would work in practice, or if the common safety cell would make it impossible to implement. But it is a thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

physics dictate how a car looks regardless of what boxes you're allowed to mess with

in the age of computer modeling, that solution is reached very rapidly

that's fine, i'm not blaming the manufacturers for reaching similar solutions. but the point of the aerokits, in part, was to make the cars look different. and it doesn't do that. you even have chevy teams saying we're just paying money to have less competitive racing. so they either gotta say, "dallara provides the monocoque, you do everything else," or scrap it entirely, because it really provides no value in its current form.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

WindyMan posted:

An idea.

Have the manufacturers come in with IndyCar and reach an agreement that the car should be divided into a lot of "aero zones" that can be fiddled with, like the current aero boxes. But instead of giving each manufacturer free reign to do whatever they want in that box, you have some sort of auction or draft (heh) pick system to determine which boxes of the car a manufacturer is allowed to develop that season. You can "spend big" on a major aero component and sacrifice the rest of the car, or know that you can make up gains by picking and choosing a lot of small components that may add up to a big gain. This would make the cars look different, because the manufacturers are being forced to alter different areas of the car.

No clue how this would work in practice, or if the common safety cell would make it impossible to implement. But it is a thought.

That's basically the token system.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

FuzzySkinner posted:

I think it may be time to retire the aerokits in the near future.

These things are not good for the sport and could cause quite a bit of problems in the near future. I saw the Hinch crash and got some scary flashbacks to last May.

In addition? It seems that Honda is clearly at a disadvantage here and I wonder if this is even remotely justifiable at this point

2018 is only what? 2 seasons from now right?

If the series is serious about getting away from being insanely spec. ? Riley and Scott, Swift and Panoz are all still very much things. Hell Rilley and Scott designed the current aerokit for Chevy. Swift is owned by Sato-San's manager and Panoz IIRC is partially owned by Chip. Give 'em windshields and/or canopies while you're at it.

There's just got to be a better way.

Riley and Scott doesnt exist. That company broke up. Riley still exists under a new company. Also they didnt do the Chevy aerokit. That was Pratt and Miller, who also don't actually manufacturer the kit, they just designed it.

Also getting rid of aerokits isnt going to make the crashes any less scary at ovals. They are hauling rear end, the crashes are gonna be bad. If they want to slow them down to help that, they can do that with or without the aerokit.

The manufacturers, including and especially Honda, wanted aero competition back. I don't really feel sorry for them if they are behind, this is what they wanted.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Keep the kits please. Honda is behind because they hosed their initial design and it's not like Chevrolet stood still.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

Cygni posted:

The manufacturers, including and especially Honda, wanted aero competition back. I don't really feel sorry for them if they are behind, this is what they wanted.

This

IOwnCalculus posted:

Bentai and KingShibby are not, in fact, axe murderers.

And this

The race tonight will boil down to tire degradation and pit stop strategies. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a late-race caution where those that take tires at the end will have a significant advantage at the end like RHR had in 2014 at Iowa. Considering buying a ticket for the Turn 3 hill area since IndyCar in their infinite wisdom denied me a photo vest but I didn't bring a chair with me :smith:

EDIT: They're not selling tickets to the T3 hillside area :ssj:

KingShibby fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 2, 2016

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

http://i.imgur.com/mf65VWa.jpg
Pretty great vantage point from the Bobby Allison suite.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
What the gently caress was the pace car doing :gonk:

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

No idea, but Zach Veach in the #5 is on a goddamn mission.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

CactusWeasle posted:

What the gently caress was the pace car doing :gonk:

Kind of a Scott Goodyear moment there

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

#5 did well to drag his car to an 8th place finish from starting in last. Burned the tires and had nothing left at the end.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

If you're looking for something else to kill time before the race, Formula E from Long Beach is starting shortly on FS1. I'm going to hang out in #ics to chat.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Derek Daly swung by the suites and spent a good chunk of time talking about old races and possible team strategy tonight.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

K&N East is the lead-in to ICS on NBCSN now if you're bored. Racin'!

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Alright everybody. Come pile in IRC. #ics@synirc

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Minto Took posted:

Alright everybody. Come pile in IRC. #ics@synirc

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The crowd here is a lot bigger than I expected

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

It's filling in nicely

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Nice crowd, not as good paraderace

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Reminds me of my first outlaws race where the track was complete poo poo and no one could pass each other, even the leader passing lapped cars. Seems like once again we have shown, downforce is Satan to racing.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Bentai mentioned it to me, but this race needs speedway wings

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

This event is totally salvageable for the next running. I have faith.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That sweeper truck :stonk:

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I assume people saw that sweeper on TV right?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

KingShibby posted:

Bentai mentioned it to me, but this race needs speedway wings

every oval needs speedway wings

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The CART short ovals they ran with speedway wings sucked rear end, fwiw.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
please racing Jesus give me a Max Chilton win

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

loving Carpenter.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

go3 posted:

please racing Jesus give me a Max Chilton win

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Not loving picking Special Ed in Fantasy again. :ramsay:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

CBJSprague24 posted:

Not loving picking Special Ed in Fantasy again. :ramsay:

go3 posted:

lets take bets on how Special Ed fucks this up

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

(Visible debris on the frontstretch with 8 to go.)

(No caution.)

(IndyCar calls a caution with 3 to go.)

"This changes EVERYTHING!" -Rick Allen

"Do you take tires here?" -Townsend Bell

(IndyCar has no GWC, nobody at NBC knows this.)

:psyduck:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

That was a giant wet fart of an ending to a pretty dull race.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Jimmie Johnson
Scott Dixon
Sebastian Vettel

Three greatest drivers currently in a car in their respective series today. Incredible. How the hell do you beat a guy like Dixon?

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Aim for the kneecaps.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Uh, that was a race I guess.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Hope these first two races arent setting a precedent for the season. I am legitimately impressed with Chilton.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Bentai posted:

I assume people saw that sweeper on TV right?

I'm guessing not? In case it didn't make the cameras, SeaBass nearly T-boned a sweeper cutting across pit exit.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
Hey let's talk about Rahal qualifying 19th and finishing 5th. He did this all last year too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota
At least it was short. I wonder if Dixon will have his lucky horseshoe removed from his rear end when he retires?

• Locked thread