Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I am going to give this another shot (apparently I get 10 days for free to come back), and I have a bit of unallocated SP. If I get podded, do I lose that or am I pretty much safe to hold onto it until I decide what to spend it on? It's not a huge amount (since my character is so new), but I'm not going to throw free SP in the toilet if I don't have to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

Zaodai posted:

I am going to give this another shot (apparently I get 10 days for free to come back), and I have a bit of unallocated SP. If I get podded, do I lose that or am I pretty much safe to hold onto it until I decide what to spend it on? It's not a huge amount (since my character is so new), but I'm not going to throw free SP in the toilet if I don't have to.

No skillpoints are lost when you get podded anymore, only thing iirc that you can lose skillpoints for now is losing a T3.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Zaodai posted:

You only lose SP for T3 Cruiser losses. They did away with Clone SP loss entirely. That free SP is refunded for removing your learning skills. They just gave everyone the stats for free.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Unfunny Poster posted:

Probably. Then again who really gives a poo poo to whinge about ~true goons~ in the EVE thread?

I don't think there's any such thing as a true goon with that said still means you paid 10bux and joined SA for a guild. Doesn't make you a terrible person, but facts are facts.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
I miss the Kugu Hurf Containment Zone.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

vyst posted:

I don't think there's any such thing as a true goon with that said still means you paid 10bux and joined SA for a guild. Doesn't make you a terrible person, but facts are facts.

I actually paid to play DUST 514 with HVACRepairman et al, the superior game.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 3, 2016

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

pugnax posted:

I miss ... Kugu

:same:

Somebody make neo-kugu tia in advance.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Also, with regard to r/eve and how bad it is, it has 60k subscribers and 2,100 people are looking at it /right now/. So even if the vast majority of the actual comments are swill (peppered with the occasional Elise or Endie or ulllerm gem), it makes sense that CCP would pay attention and use it as a sounding board. Reddit as a community is abysmal and horrid, but as a communications platform it's not bad - the capital rebalance focus group subreddit is a great example.

In actual spaceships, is anyone else looking forward to a grand new era of dreadnaught awesomeness?

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

pugnax posted:

Also, with regard to r/eve and how bad it is, it has 60k subscribers and 2,100 people are looking at it /right now/. So even if the vast majority of the actual comments are swill (peppered with the occasional Elise or Endie or ulllerm gem), it makes sense that CCP would pay attention and use it as a sounding board. Reddit as a community is abysmal and horrid, but as a communications platform it's not bad - the capital rebalance focus group subreddit is a great example.

In actual spaceships, is anyone else looking forward to a grand new era of dreadnaught awesomeness?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTnw4BGEnUw

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Oh god am I going to have to join SMA?

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

pugnax posted:

I miss the Kugu Hurf Containment Zone.

Kugu was unironically dope.

pugnax posted:

In actual spaceships, is anyone else looking forward to a grand new era of dreadnaught Phoenix awesomeness?

ftfy

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Hopefully ratting Titans become a thing, and hopefully CCP will give T2 blackops dreads to hunt them with.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

cravius posted:

Kugu was unironically dopey.

fyp

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I gather that the gist of this game is now all sub-caps?

Are dreads used at all anymore?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

pugnax posted:

I wonder what percent of active players subscribe to r/eve. That could serve as a decent proxy for the total number of real players, even with the occasional sock puppet Reddit account.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Ice Fist posted:

Turn off sound though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkiipNZpSc0

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Ice Fist posted:

capital ships in general are pretty unimportant to sov in TYOOL 2016

you still use them for shooting pos and shooting other capitals and maybe to hack nodes in triage but otherwise no

however post-patch dreads will be very naice

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

pugnax posted:

Unfortuantely, the reddit memoryless upvote/downvote echo chamber effect is poison.

This just tells me they need to fire all their ISDs and rethink their own forums approach from the ground up.

WhiteHalo117
Jul 5, 2013

Surprise!!!

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

shut the gently caress up you thin skinned wiener good lord

Your insults really cut me deep here, but I'm a glutton for pain. Tell me how you really feel.

WhiteHalo117 fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 3, 2016

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Glory of Arioch posted:

however post-patch dreads will be very naice

What does this mean? I'm not up to date on patches and poo poo.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Ice Fist posted:

Capitals are going to be great for stomping bugs and avenging Buenos Aires from the attack launched by Klendathu.

Would you like to know more?

Syndic Thrass
Nov 10, 2011
Я хочу чтобы вы облили меня кленовым сиропом и улыбнулись.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Ice Fist posted:

Dreads (and titans) are getting high-tracking clusters of battleship-scale guns, and the max targeting range is apparently getting a bump so they can engage at extreme ranges.

It'll be 2010 all over again!

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Syndic Thrass posted:

Я хочу чтобы вы облили меня кленовым сиропом и улыбнулись.

...but do I have to smile?

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ice Fist posted:

The capital rebalance is changing a lot.

-New DD's for titans that do massive AoE damage in a cone or large line
-New Super DD's that cause people to explode for damage relative to how much capacitor they have
-New capital mods, like super webs or super sebo's that give insta lock
-Supers and Carriers are now the ultra long range DPS and support platform. Carriers can kill battleships in a matter of seconds, Supers can volley them
-No more drones for carriers. Carriers have light fighters and Supers have light fighters and heavy fighters. Light fighters shred all subcaps. Yes this means Supers are now effective at fighting subcaps.
-Much less EHP you can make up with new mods.
-Titan guns shred, do not go near them
-Titan DD's suck the cap out of everyone around them, do not go near them
-No more triage carriers, have been replaced with FAX machines
-FAX machines can't rep each other so no spider tanking
-Dreads and Titans now have high angle guns for shredding subcaps

result:

-Caps now useful
-Caps will die a lot more
-Can't fight entire war with subcaps because caps will eat your lunch

Theme of this patch: spread your poo poo rear end in a top hat

edit: I should mention this will make killing ratting carriers 100% impossible without decent coordination because you will need to scan them down and they can fight aligned out. Also they now insta lock and can pop a ship before it's cyno becomes effective.

Venom Snake fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Apr 3, 2016

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Venom Snake posted:

:goatse:

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Those AoE DD's 1 shot every subcap they hit btw so goodbye anchoring when titans are on grind. I also forgot the DD that randomly teleports a group of people to somewhere else in the system.

Hel's are also going to unironically be the best Supercap. :getin:

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Venom Snake posted:

Note that in this context "near" is <100km with t2 XL ammo :unsmigghh:

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Note that in this context "near" is <100km with t2 XL ammo :unsmigghh:

Better than "on the same grid" when it comes to supers. I was testing with some friends on how you could theoretically killed a ratting super and we couldn't do it without other capitals because they can kill Hictors instantly lol.

edit: I should mention that supers now can be scrammed with enough scrams or an infinite point but that's pretty hard without 30+ people with scrams or just another cap with a capital scram.

Venom Snake fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Apr 3, 2016

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Update on our continuing invalidation of entosis ships using frigates: We're up to Archons now.

The only thing this leaves is supercapitals for entosis duty.

The single most notable characteristic of the Entosis module is isolation from remote assistance, and capitals incur a 5x penalty to entosis module cycle time. For T1 entosis cycles that means 25 minutes of isolation per cycle. For T2 it's 10 minutes.

As long as that's true, sov can be defended unironically with WOLFPAX that will snipe the entosis ship out from under the noses of fleet support. "Wolfpacks," by the way, are a propagandized symbol of an alliance's downfall, which originated in a list of fail cascade signs penned by the mittani. The joke is that they're effective now. So fuckit, okay we're using wolfpacks and torpedo submarine warfare (another item in the list of failcascade signs).

Because it works. We proved over the last couple days that subcaps would be gangraped by 150 interceptors. They upgraded to capitals and ate the 5x increase in cycle time because they had to, and now carriers are invalidated as well.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Venom Snake posted:

The capital rebalance is changing a lot.

-New DD's for titans that do massive AoE damage in a cone or large line
-New Super DD's that cause people to explode for damage relative to how much capacitor they have
-New capital mods, like super webs or super sebo's that give insta lock
-Supers and Carriers are now the ultra long range DPS and support platform. Carriers can kill battleships in a matter of seconds, Supers can volley them
-No more drones for carriers. Carriers have light fighters and Supers have light fighters and heavy fighters. Light fighters shred all subcaps. Yes this means Supers are now effective at fighting subcaps.
-Much less EHP you can make up with new mods.
-Titan DD's suck the cap out of everyone around them, do not go near them
-No more triage carriers, have been replaced with FAX machines
-FAX machines can't rep each other so no spider tanking
-Dreads and Titans now have high angle guns for shredding subcaps

result:

-Caps now useful
-Caps will die a lot more
-Can't fight entire war with subcaps because caps will eat your lunch

edit: I should mention this will make killing ratting carriers 100% impossible without decent coordination because you will need to scan them down and they can fight aligned out. Also they now insta lock and can pop a ship before it's cyno becomes effective.

Wait, caps and supercaps being so numerous and overpowered was killing the pvp game 3-4 years ago. That's why they nerfed them. Did they nerf them too far or something?

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Venom Snake posted:

Better than "on the same grid" when it comes to supers. I was testing with some friends on how you could theoretically killed a ratting super and we couldn't do it without other capitals because they can kill Hictors instantly lol.

edit: I should mention that supers now can be scrammed with enough scrams or an infinite point but that's pretty hard without 30+ people with scrams or just another cap with a capital scram.

Don't forget about the gallente tackle fighters.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Wait, caps and supercaps being so numerous and overpowered was killing the pvp game 3-4 years ago. That's why they nerfed them. Did they nerf them too far or something?

They made them absolutely useless with the new no-structure sov system, and since citadels under XL will be able to be taken down with enough subcaps they want to make caps more attractive buuuuuut unlike the days of old they will be a lot easier to kill. Enough rifters can scram a titan, capitals have electronic warfare mods turned up to 11, dreads now have fleet bays, ect.

Now they will kill faster and die faster, especially since capital reps are being limited to FAX machines which cannot rep each other. Once the fax's are dead it becomes a game of kill the other person faster.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I don't know if you checked the game out, but the Naval Action Goons have a Jolly Roger made to look like goatse.

It's about as great as it sounds.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Venom Snake posted:

Makes me wonder how feasible a small black ops battleship gang is for solo carrier hunting when that goes live. It'd be a shame to see them relegated to bridging duty for a large number of bombers.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Had to get onto sisi to check the disruptor strength for the tackle fighters. It's 3 warp disrupt strength with a full squad.

The t2 version has double the range on the disruptor.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

darth cookie posted:

Makes me wonder how feasible a small black ops battleship gang is for solo carrier hunting when that goes live. It'd be a shame to see them relegated to bridging duty for a large number of bombers.

Enough can kill a carrier but not without losing more than what the carrier costs anyway. Unless they add in a remote rep black ops ship you won't be able to do it cost efficiently. To elaborate on this carrier thing: the theta method of jumping to save others is going to be more effective after this patch and taking down carriers with subcaps that don't have significant logi support isn't going to happen.

Fix Lag
Sep 8, 2011

There's a sale at Penny's!

Venom Snake posted:

Enough can kill a carrier but not without losing more than what the carrier costs anyway. Unless they add in a remote rep black ops ship you won't be able to do it cost efficiently. To elaborate on this carrier thing: the theta method of jumping to save others is going to be more effective after this patch and taking down carriers with subcaps that don't have significant logi support isn't going to happen.

Looks like it's time the Nestor got that blackops capability

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Fix Lag posted:

Looks like it's time the Nestor got that blackops capability

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

How does PL support itself? Are all of their members independently wealthy?

The capital changes are relevant to my answer to this question. The simple answer is no, not really. They fund their gameplay with PLEX and neutral alts running incursions in high sec, or wormhole escalation farms. They are mercenaries compared to the lumbering industrial machine that is the Imperium.

PL is comprised of players who are individually capable of purchasing a supercapital. Replacing those supercapitals as an organization is another matter. With the coming capital changes that make capital warfare very bloody, PL is losing another aspect of their way of life.

Prior to this, it was jump fatigue that reduced their power projection. It was enough to cause Black Legion, another mercenary group, to try acting like a sov holding entity. Sov gameplay proved so alien to Black Legion culture that they disbanded.

PL's culture is based on taking very few losses compared to what they kill. Current supercapital mechanics also allow them to form a nearly invincible ball of ships. This synergizes very well with their [in]ability to replace losses as an organization compared to an industrial war machine and sov holder such as the Imperium.

Pandemic Horde was their attempt at acting like a sov entity, an occupation force I guess, but that's only so effective at producing income and fleet members.

Ideally they will always have a contract fueling them. They may have enough gumption to stick it out longer than Black Legion, but if they continue as a mercenary organization, their rates will increase dramatically due to the losses they will incur after capital warfare becomes incredibly bloody.

If it wasn't for PL right now we could facefuck everyone in EVE at once. After the capital changes, we'll be able to fight a war of attrition with everyone in EVE including PL if necessary.

• Locked thread