Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Other than that Turtles game and GG:Revelator, is there much left to look forward to on PS3?

Persona 5 is coming up anytime now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Other than that Turtles game and GG:Revelator, is there much left to look forward to on PS3?

Other than Persona 5 and Odin Sphere, not unless you can speak Japanese. They'll probably still have Legacy Editions of most sports games, though. :shobon:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
*sigh* I guess it's time to buy a new console, then. How is PS4 digitally in general? Is its' library coming along nicely?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Trails of Cold Steel 2

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

*sigh* I guess it's time to buy a new console, then. How is PS4 digitally in general? Is its' library coming along nicely?

Very much so, a lot of major exclusives, especially if you don't game on PC.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Now: Bloodborne, the good version of DmC Devil May Cry, Gravity Rush Remastered, maaaaybe Until Dawn if you're into that

Upcoming: Nier Automata, Persona 5 (PS3/PS4), The Last Guardian, Gravity Rush 2, Final Fantasy XV (PS4/Xbone), Kingdom Hearts 2.8, Kingdom Hearts 3

Everything else I can think of is also on PC

All PS4 games are available digitally, except maybe the upcoming Kingdom Hearts games. Licensing bullshit with Utada Hikaru's music or Disney or some poo poo has meant that no Kingdom Hearts console game thus far has ever been sold digitally as far as I know.

Instant Grat fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 1, 2016

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Star Ocean 5 probably warrants a mention too (PS3 only in Japan).

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

If you can wait until October and these 4K rumors aren't bullshit, there may be a good deal for a regular PS4 in it for you around that time

I've got an assload of games on PS4 digitally now but then I also pretty religiously check the weekly sales.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Oh and I guess the new Uncharted is coming. I forgot about that.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Horizon also looks cool, though it also has a good possibility of sucking.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

For PS3, The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel 2, as well.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Few more questions, and I appreciate all the info....

Is MKXL on PS4 digitally?

Is there a marked difference, fighting games wise, in what's available digitally, compared to PS3? I'm a fighting game nut, although I'm not that good at 'em....

Are the prices any different?

I remember a while back Sony was polling to decide which PS2 games should be playable on PS4, what came of that?

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Is there a marked difference, fighting games wise, in what's available digitally, compared to PS3? I'm a fighting game nut, although I'm not that good at 'em....

I remember a while back Sony was polling to decide which PS2 games should be playable on PS4, what came of that?

Mortal Kombat XL is indeed available digitally on PS4, as is the vertical slice of Street Fighter V that got released a while back (for full price with the rest of the features coming later as free updates, natch).

There are also a bunch of anime fighters with really stupid names like "Melty Blood: Actress Again Current Code" and "Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late[st]" which my anime fighter-playing friend has told me are great fun.

I don't know exactly which ones are and aren't available on PS3 as well, though usually when a PS3 version is available it'll be $5-10 cheaper, nothing major.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I don't think there are any PS4 games that aren't available digitally with the possible exception of Puyo Puyo Tetris.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

With very few exceptions all PS4 games are available digitally. The only exception which isn't due to the game having a necessary peripheral (e.g. Guitar Hero Live, I think the first version of Skylanders) is Puyo Puyo Tetris I think due to some licensing fuckery.

Generally speaking, the MSRP is the same, but if stores around you charge less than MSRP for physical copies (e.g. in the U.K.) they'll be cheaper.

A dozen or so PS2 games are available digitally on PS4 as new products (you can't use physical discs or carry over digital copies from the PS3), pricing varies between $10 and $15 although there have been sales on the titles to varying degrees. Games are internally rendered at higher resolution than stock PS2, and have trophies.

EDIT forgot, there's a respectably varied but slightly small library of fighting games on PS4 currently, and even some PS3 versions you can play via PSNow if your connection is fast enough. We're waiting for Tekken 7 right now as there's no Tekken game currently, no SNK fighter, also no Soul Calibur, Persona 4 Arena, the only Anime fighting games are J-Stars Victory Vs., Guilty Gear Xrd and Blazblue Chronophantasma Extend. Also no Marvel vs. Capcom and there likely never will be, no Killer Instinct.

Right now the native library consists of:

Ultra Street Fighter IV (digital only, official version for tournaments) - Supports PS3 sticks if paired with a DS4
Mortal Kombat XL (usually but not always the official version for tournaments) - Supports PS3 sticks if paired with a DS4
Street Fighter V (official version for tournaments) - Supports PS3 sticks if paired with a DS4
Guilty Gear Xrd
Dead or Alive 5: Last Round
BlazBlue Chronophantasma Extend
J-Stars Victory Vs.
Nidhogg
Skullgirls 2nd Encore - Supports PS3 sticks if paired with a DS4

Via PSNow, all PS3 versions

Mortal Kombat (9)
Street Fighter II Turbo HD
I THINK Third Strike, would have to re-check
A few Neo Geo games

Upcoming games

Guilty Gear Revelator
King of Fighter XIV
Tekken 7

axleblaze posted:

I don't think there are any PS4 games that aren't available digitally with the possible exception of Puyo Puyo Tetris.

Guitar Hero Live is one, because you need the specific guitar it comes with, and the first Skylanders I believe is one too due to the portal being required at the time (but it carries forward so newer Skylanders games are available digitally).

univbee fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 1, 2016

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

PS3 has stuff like Virtua Fighter 5, Third Strike, SoulCalibur 2 HD and V, KoF XIII, Darkstalkers... I want to say there are a lot more on PS3 but they're also mostly ports.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

PS4 will have KOFXIV later this year as well and I don't believe that's coming to PS3. And Revelator (my most anticipated release) but that will be PS3 as well. If you have a fight stick you should check out compatibility with PS4 since it's on a game by game basis, not a systemwide thing. So be careful with that

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Univbee you forgot nitroplus blasters and blazblue in your anime fighter roundup

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

And DFC, and UNIEL, and AH3:MAX, and nobody listed Tekken Tag 2.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

Univbee you forgot nitroplus blasters and blazblue in your anime fighter roundup

I didn`t forget Blazblue but you're right about Nitroplus.

Saoshyant posted:

And DFC, and UNIEL, and AH3:MAX, and nobody listed Tekken Tag 2.

DFC is on PS4 only in Japan, I think.
UNIEL is PS3 only, as are AH3: MAX and TTT2.

I mentioned "no anime fighting games other than (list of PS4 titles), and no Tekken yet"

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

univbee posted:

I didn`t forget Blazblue but you're right about Nitroplus.

Oops sry

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Woah woah woah, there's a friggin' Tron game on sale right now. Tron Runner. This looks cool. Is it any good or what? Also whats' the skinny on that pixel gore game, Not a Hero? How did I go this long and not hear that a Tron game had come out?

EDIT: Holy poo poo the PSN has a treasure trove I've somehow missed. There's a bunch of cool new games in here. Chronicles of Teddy looks great, crappy name aside. Enter the Gungeon looks insane too. Didn't know The Banner Saga was on consoles now too, never tried that one.

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 3, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tell me if that Teddy game ends up any good I keep looking at it and going ehhhh

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Can the PS3 do the same secondary account stuff as the PS4? I just realised I can probably import Gundam VS Full Boost straight from Amazon.co.jp. :toot:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

Tell me if that Teddy game ends up any good I keep looking at it and going ehhhh

I got it so I'll let y'all know when I get around to it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lemon-Lime posted:

Can the PS3 do the same secondary account stuff as the PS4? I just realised I can probably import Gundam VS Full Boost straight from Amazon.co.jp. :toot:

Yeah it works pretty much the same

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah it works pretty much the same

Excellent, now I just need to estimate the odds of Maxi Boost getting a PS3 release soon.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Woah woah woah, there's a friggin' Tron game on sale right now. Tron Runner. This looks cool. Is it any good or what? Also whats' the skinny on that pixel gore game, Not a Hero? How did I go this long and not hear that a Tron game had come out?

EDIT: Holy poo poo the PSN has a treasure trove I've somehow missed. There's a bunch of cool new games in here. Chronicles of Teddy looks great, crappy name aside. Enter the Gungeon looks insane too. Didn't know The Banner Saga was on consoles now too, never tried that one.
Tron is supposed to be pretty solid, if you like those games you won't be disappointed.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Our Comcast bill got jacked up by another 50 bucks, so I'm looking in to getting Vue. Does every Vue channel you subscribe to have on demand programming, or is it just certain ones. Like, I can understand if sports networks don't but do things like AMC or Disney XD or IFC have on demand on Vue? I'd like to know before I sign up, but the Vue FAQ just says that there are on demand services, but doesn't go into detail.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I bought Gran Turismo 6 because of the Easter Sale and a 10% discount code I got and I felt like having at least one racing game on my PS3 but holy poo poo. I mean jesus gently caress. After an hour of downloading it, two hours of installing it, four hours of downloading updates, I enter the game and it wants to update it even more? Approx. 400 mins. left? This is loving dumb.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Well, Chronicles of Teddy is proving frustrating, all told. The game is visually astounding and it plays a lot like Zelda 2; you can bounce on enemies and you automatically block with your shield when you stand still. Your sword reach is very short though, you really have to get right on top of a guy to actually hit him. This is fine, but then you have enemies who also have shields AND you have two hit boxes, so ducking and attacking is a thing and you gotta deal with quite a lot of threats to your person at any given time. The hit boxes are such that if you do a charging attack, the enemy can still hurt you for a while as they go through their death animations, so you can walk into an already dead enemy and take damage.

Moreso than anything, the game doesn't like telling me where to go or what to do. Occassionally prompts will appear that help; I didn't realize I had to Press Up to active the world selection...thingy...because I didn't even realize that that was how the game worked.

I made it all the way to the first dungeon; there's a gimmick to this game where you have a little keyboard that you can use to communicate with in-game elements. This basically boils down to adventure game style "learn the password, say the password" sorts of things, except that the thing is missing all the keys, so you can't say some phrases until you find the key in a chest someplace in the world.

The map is...not great, really. It would be fine if there was a key explaining what some of the symbols meant. The game feels clunky to move around in, I can't really decide if I prefer using the stick or the d-pad for movement but both feel stiff. Also it doesn't really tell you a room's dimensions, so a big Metroid-style vertical room could have multiple pathways leading to the sides and also doors to go through and this information is not clearly communicated at all.

I got stuck when I encountered a unique chest or something that has a rune on it I don't have and no other way of interacting with it, at the end of a dead end in the first dungeon (in the Zelda sense, there's a whole preceeding area). This is right after a narrow corridor with an enemy with a shield who won't take any damage and has a longer reach than me and is a huge pain in the loving rear end and I can't jump over him and I can't actually hurt him so I had to literally plink at his shield for about five minutes to push him back so I could jump over him and I ended up taking a ton of damage in the process.

So, about an hour and some change in, not great first impressions. The game looks so loving nice with its sprite art that I almost want to say that none of the above matters. The animations in particular are really great, the little girl you play as has some very emotive animations and little details that make her memorable. There's tons of great art in the backgrounds and the first really big sprite I've found is cool; all the NPCs have unique little sprites as well.

However, this game just keeps stonewalling me, either in the first part where I had to figure out which tiny path in a big vertical hub I hadn't taken, or with these weird chest and no rune and no way back or forth. So, I'd say, skip Chronicles of Teddy or at the very least, get it on a 50% sale. I've been waiting for a moment for the game to get good and once it finally started to become fun, it immediately hit me with a bullshit enemy in a narrow tunnel.

A poor investment of $15.

EDIT: Oh, it does have a very gruesome game over sequence that's quite grim for such a colorful game. It's...I dunno, it's a lot more scarring than you'd expect.

EDIT EDIT: Looked up the solution on a community Steam guide, I have no loving idea how you're expected to know what correct sequence to input to open that chest. The gently caress.

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 3, 2016

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Stare-Out posted:

I bought Gran Turismo 6 because of the Easter Sale and a 10% discount code I got and I felt like having at least one racing game on my PS3 but holy poo poo. I mean jesus gently caress. After an hour of downloading it, two hours of installing it, four hours of downloading updates, I enter the game and it wants to update it even more? Approx. 400 mins. left? This is loving dumb.

GT6 has had a pretty crazy amount of free stuff added since launch. If I were you I would change the power settings to make sure the system never turns off and let it update overnight.

Honestly they should probably warn buyers in the description, the ps3 was not designed for such large installs.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
You also don't NEED the updates, if you just want to play to see what the game it's like or whatever just cancel the updates and do them later.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Last addendum to my Chronicles of Teddy report:

Got to and defeated the first boss. Actually thought that this was the best part of the game so far; I quickly figured out the right places to stand to avoid her main abilities and I was actually able to clear the boss on my first attempt. The fight felt fluid and natural.

The next area is slightly more straightforward than the first, but I wasted nearly all my life attempting to navigate a Mario-style vine platforming challenge only to discover it led me to a one-way passage and I was on the wrong side of it. gently caress this game.

Maybe somebody else will get some value out of it. It is still so very very pretty.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
All the infamous games are honestly good. There are few better hero game series, they aren't perfect but all above average and worth a play.

first light only has 1 power set but its highly detailed
second son is a nice sort of refresh for the series and I'd say I'm looking forward to whatever they do next because of it

Hell you feel like more of a hero in first son and second light than you get to in arkham knight (arkham city was good tho)

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

I really wish we had a ps4 katamari game

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Or even the ps2 katamari game released on ps4

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I really wish I was a katamari.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Chron of teddy is like a zelda i heard.
Gungeon is like a nuclear throne
Banner saga is like taking ambien

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Are any of the Tron games like Discs of Tron? If so, that's an immediate buy.

• Locked thread