Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pvt.Scott posted:

I'm laughing at people waiting for an extended cut of BvS that will somehow fix things. A ruthless editor with that extra footage a a goal of a running time of no more than 105 minutes MIGHT be able to wizard a satisfying film from that garbage heap. Adding more poo poo is just making the problem worse.

They would have to overdub Lex name to Joker too.

It probably can work if it's a Batman movie with Superman getting as little screen time as Wonder Woman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Just gonna post my favorite Kevin Smith pic

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

lol i just remembered that jimmy olsen had a film camera

like why in the gently caress would he not have had a digital camera

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

lol i just remembered that jimmy olsen had a film camera

like why in the gently caress would he not have had a digital camera

Hipster CIA agent

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Doflamingo posted:

BvS just suffered an 81% drop, lol. It's dad.

i saw it for the second time. its worse

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

loving LOL

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Holy poo poo Sammo Hung knocked BvS out of first place in China.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I would have a lot more respect for the upcoming Suicide Squad if Jared Leto started poo poo talking this film as the Joker.

"The damage that BvS has done to Batman is going to be hard to top."
"Congratulations, Batman Forever, for becoming the second-to-worst movie featuring Batman"
etc.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ruddiger posted:

The Walker/Sammo cross-over episodes were the best thing on TV.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Why is this man wealthy?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

ruddiger posted:

What's this from, I'm always up to watch a Sammo Hung movie and I've haven't seen him knock out a muscle chick before.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Why is this man wealthy?

Because plenty of other human trash give him attention

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord

Gorilla Salad posted:

What's this from, I'm always up to watch a Sammo Hung movie and I've haven't seen him knock out a muscle chick before.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Lucky_Stars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Jj56YHp3qI

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

whatever7 posted:

They would have to overdub Lex name to Joker too.

It probably can work if it's a Batman movie with Superman getting as little screen time as Wonder Woman.

If you cut Superman and Lex Luthor almost entirely out of the movie, and you just had Batman chasing down Superman and the mysterious Lex, gathering clues and whatnot, then quickly cut from Batman and Superman fighting (this is the first you see Superman), and then they go off to fight random Doomsday that just shows up out of nowhere (no Martha scene) you could cut the film down to 80 minutes and it would be elevated from a 0 to about a 3.

If you only had weird disjointed Batman scenes and then WW and Superman show up to fight unexplained Doomsday it's about 30 minutes and maybe a 4 or 5.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Why is this man wealthy?

He took a gamble and won.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I liked a broad swath of the film and am just disappointed in how poor the writing is. The critical outcry is a bit hyperbolic as ever, I would hardly call this the worst superhero movie ever made or anything like that. That said, I don't think most people are too dumb to "get it" because the movie itself is pretty dumb, it just is too dumb to realize it.

I think the thing most upsetting to people is how awful this interpretation of Superman is. You tried to make a case for alternative interpretations of characters and there is a place for that yeah, but that's the kind of thing that needs room for nuance and development, not something you can fit into a big crossover punch up with cameos of upcoming heroes and barely enough screentime to establish why one character is doing poo poo let alone 3. Also, there should also be a point to the subversion of the character; what statement is Snyder trying to make with the emotionally detached superman who cares not for human life? What is the audience supposed to take away from this or MoS? Because I can't see any point beyond wrecking cities being cool to Zack Snyder.

Sure, comicbook movies don't need to be cerebral, Marvel proves that, but you can't turn a paragon of truth, justice and the American way etc into an aloof sociopath and then tell people who question it not to take it so seriously.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I feel like one of the more obvious conclusions to draw from watching Snyder's Superman is that he wishes he had made Watchmen and Superman is his Dr. Manhattan. Then you instantly remember Snyder already made Watchmen and it's that he has the kind of sophomoric mind that can't get past that story as being 'the best thing ever' and the end-all-be-all w/r/t superhero stories.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
my favorite movie in the past like 5 years is still Chappie holy poo poo I wrote a review on this here website stating how much I like it but not much can be said about how good that movie was, this movie looks like a poor mans chappie without the robot or die ant woords so I don't give any fucks about a batman or a super man more like butt man vs stupid man lol

tldr buttman vs stupidman

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Chappie was good, I don't get the hate it gets

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

I think the thing most upsetting to people is how awful this interpretation of Superman is. You tried to make a case for alternative interpretations of characters and there is a place for that yeah, but that's the kind of thing that needs room for nuance and development, not something you can fit into a big crossover punch up with cameos of upcoming heroes and barely enough screentime to establish why one character is doing poo poo let alone 3. Also, there should also be a point to the subversion of the character; what statement is Snyder trying to make with the emotionally detached superman who cares not for human life? What is the audience supposed to take away from this or MoS? Because I can't see any point beyond wrecking cities being cool to Zack Snyder.

Sure, comicbook movies don't need to be cerebral, Marvel proves that, but you can't turn a paragon of truth, justice and the American way etc into an aloof sociopath and then tell people who question it not to take it so seriously.

I feel the same way, but about Batman for this film. I just can't really get behind a killer Bats. My friend, whose opinion I respect, has warmed to the prospect and there's a certain interesting narrative angle to explore here, but it makes no sense to try and form a Justice League around such unlikable flagship characters. It's going to take a miracle; an amazing Batfleck movie at the very least; to remotely redeem this incarnation of the character for me. I hope that now that we are free of Goyer entirely, the writing will pick up in the next ones; and I fully anticipate that they are going to end all of this with a weird time travel reset that will restore certain status quos for whatever fanciful film line-up they have planned.

I'm much more afraid that the Suicide Squad reshoots are going to come at the sacrifice of David Ayer's original vision for the film. So long as that is maintained, I'll be satisfied with it, but I hope they don't make the movie dumber for dumbness sake.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich

thats the biggest fat 13 year old i ever seen

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Watching RLM discussion, and suddenly it all makes sense. Zack Snyder is legit a super-libertarian whose ambition is to direct Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead.

All the speeches about "gently caress the humans, son, you don't owe them poo poo", him destroying a city and people loving him for it, him standing by as people are blown up, him doing nothing to save his friend Jimmy Olsen, him basically holding Earth hostage by crashing a billion dollar drone and telling the USA "gently caress you, I have the power, I'll do what I want, don't you dare try to regulate me"...

It's crystal loving clear now. Zack Snyder stole WB's money and decided to make Ayn Rand's horrible nightmare, Objectivist-man.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
how in god's name do we go this long discussing kevin smith without this

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Code Jockey posted:

how in god's name do we go this long discussing kevin smith without this

Just making GBS threads on Kevin Smith could break the forums by being the largest thread ever.

Larger than his jorts.

It could be its own RSF.

The man is very bad.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Watching RLM discussion, and suddenly it all makes sense. Zack Snyder is legit a super-libertarian whose ambition is to direct Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead.

All the speeches about "gently caress the humans, son, you don't owe them poo poo", him destroying a city and people loving him for it, him standing by as people are blown up, him doing nothing to save his friend Jimmy Olsen, him basically holding Earth hostage by crashing a billion dollar drone and telling the USA "gently caress you, I have the power, I'll do what I want, don't you dare try to regulate me"...

It's crystal loving clear now. Zack Snyder stole WB's money and decided to make Ayn Rand's horrible nightmare, Objectivist-man.

I know Devin Faraci gets a lot of poo poo here, but he posted an article on how the original comic and the 1978 Christopher Reeve Superman was born to reflect the anxieties of their time and assuage them with a superhero that could overcome them and how Snyder kinda killed Superman for this generation with his renditions of a Supes that is overwhelmed by the zeitgeist. Anyway, he included this quote that Synder said during the press tour:

quote:

When we find him, he’s been dealing with the everyday world of being a superhero, but there’s a paradigm shift happening in that the unintended consequences of some of those rescues are starting to come into fruition.

Like, if you’re just taking a cat out of a tree, you can’t touch anything or the arborists will say, ‘he damaged the tree branch when he got the cat down.’ Or, ‘the cat wasn’t neutered, so now there’s thousands of cats.’ There’s no winning anymore for Superman.

To Snyder, Supes can't be a hero anymore because heroics have been regulated to death. I wouldn't be surprised if the next paragraph had him talking about "moochers" and "looters".

Also, the top comment in that article is kinda insightful...

quote:

In a post 9-11/War on Terror world, Warner Bros. has convinced people that Superman cannot exist.

In a post 9-11/War on Terror world, Marvel has convinced people that Captain America not only can exist, but *should*.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

MCU Cap is about the most damning comparison you can make because it turns out it's a lot more interesting watching an optimistic character battle a gloomy world than it is watching a gloomy character surrender to a gloomy world

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
It also doesn't help that it sucks. Grimdark start to finish is trying enough if the movie has anything of value. When it just sucks across the board, has an unbelievably insipid plot, and is flat out boring, it's extra bad.

http://kotaku.com/batman-v-superman-isnt-like-other-superhero-films-and-1768676827

I mean, I know Kotaku is the worst but this is the weirdest poo poo. The guy feels like everyone's upset because it isn't a Marvel movie. I find it astounding that a person actually watched BvS and enjoyed themselves at all.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

JediTalentAgent posted:

So, during the Turkish Airlines commercial, Bruce Wayne is a seething, simmering jar of angry piss ready to explode and kill Superman during the entire thing?

Sitting on a plane next to him must be really uncomfortable during that flight. I mean, Lex will just take poo poo off his plate and put it in your mouth, maybe even absent-mindedly touch himself during the in-flight movie because he thinks he's at home. Bruce might have nightmares where he'll wake up and react violently.

Ha, imagine trying to make small talk with this version of Bruce Wayne.
"Yeah we decided to holiday in Metropolis this year, next year we're thinking of going to Matha's Vineyar~"
"WHAT DID YOU SAY? WHY WOULD YOU SAY THAT? WHY WOULD YOU SAY THATTTT???"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Why is this man wealthy?

i think the funniest thing is how he and his wife got together. she was a reporter for usa today or something and went to his place to interview him. then they just started making out. i mean she's no stunner but she could do a lot better than that.

Young Freud posted:

I know Devin Faraci gets a lot of poo poo here, but he posted an article on how the original comic and the 1978 Christopher Reeve Superman was born to reflect the anxieties of their time and assuage them with a superhero that could overcome them and how Snyder kinda killed Superman for this generation with his renditions of a Supes that is overwhelmed by the zeitgeist. Anyway, he included this quote that Synder said during the press tour:

it's great how the article brings up that superman was created in literally the worst point in human history but was a shining light in the darkness. there's literally no other time you could be more cynical than the great depression followed by ww2.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Apr 3, 2016

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Snyder being a big fuckoff libertarian would explain why his stuff is usually v. bad, stylistics aside.

Wait gently caress, does that mean we were supposed to take 300 seriously? ick that kind of ruins it.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

MCU Cap is about the most damning comparison you can make because it turns out it's a lot more interesting watching an optimistic character battle a gloomy world than it is watching a gloomy character surrender to a gloomy world

I really hope Civil War makes so much goddamn money that WB realizes the invisible hand of the free market is sick of Snyder's bullshit and they ban him from the studio.

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

Snyder being a big fuckoff libertarian would explain why his stuff is usually v. bad, stylistics aside.

Wait gently caress, does that mean we were supposed to take 300 seriously? ick that kind of ruins it.

Molon Labe, bro.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Y'know what this interpretation actually makes the film better. It's a blistering pastiche of DC's primary archetypes. The only beings able to stand on par with Superman are rich and powerful. Lex Luthor even makes him kneel. In the end, God kills himself and leaves the world to men and super women to inherit. In order to save the world, you must have material wealth.

Wow. I...need to have a walk.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I still think its adorable that y'all think Zack Snyder is a capable of a cohesive narrative vision beyond tangled set-pieces and frowns.

EDIT: Worldwide gross after two weeks at 680 million with a 68% drop-off. Needs to make 800 Million just to break even.

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 3, 2016

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Someone fetch me a gif of superman's bad acting of chocking on batman's kryptonite fart gas grenade

Then make it the background for the comedy gas chamber tia

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I don't see Nolan credited as an exec producer on BvS. What happened and when?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Shaocaholica posted:

I don't see Nolan credited as an exec producer on BvS. What happened and when?

Alan Smithee

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Looks like Nolan was involved in casting Affleck. What a fake out. Feel sorry for Affleck being duped.

saddfleck.gif

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
lol i do not understand the tubonerd's obsession with jimmy olsen can someone explain?? hes supermans friend? who gives a gently caress when superman and wonder woman are also his friend by the end of the thing? like this pissant photographer was ever supposed matter...how?

its good he died he was useless and a nothing character who could have added zero to the goings on

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Superman made Jimmy Olsen marry an ape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Y'know what this interpretation actually makes the film better. It's a blistering pastiche of DC's primary archetypes. The only beings able to stand on par with Superman are rich and powerful. Lex Luthor even makes him kneel. In the end, God kills himself and leaves the world to men and super women to inherit. In order to save the world, you must have material wealth.

Wow. I...need to have a walk.

Can you do one for Sucker Punch?

• Locked thread