Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Or as someone in the Marriage Equality thread put it:

quote:

When you're privileged, equality feels like oppression

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

LibertyCat posted:

Since I could say the sky is blue and get dogpiled over it

Y'get dogpiled because you say terrible things that an idiot thinks

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Guys, if you want to discuss something with someone, and potentially have them reconsider their viewpoints, calling them shitfuckers isn't going to do it.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

tithin posted:

Guys, if you want to discuss something with someone, and potentially have them reconsider their viewpoints, calling them shitfuckers isn't going to do it.

I'm sure he's a perfectly reasonable person ready to change his opinions if only he hears an argument with the right tone.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

:getout:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

tithin posted:

yeah?

what're you going to do about it, shitfucker

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

They're missing the 'h' is save there

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Die reef, die

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Starshark posted:

I'm sure he's a perfectly reasonable person ready to change his opinions if only he hears an argument with the right tone.

Either he's here to discuss in good faith, in which case calling him a shitfucker is only going to harden his opinion to you, or he's here to argue in bad faith, in which case you're playing into his "auspol is easy to troll" narrative.

In either situation, you're loving up by calling him a shitfucker.

Milky Moor posted:

yeah?

what're you going to do about it, shitfucker

I'm going to say bad things about Worm :colbert:

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Lol if you think forums poster Liberty "Black people and women are both inferior AND oppressors" Cat is actually flustering anyone with his/her/their terrible opinions.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

tithin posted:

Either he's here to discuss in good faith, in which case calling him a shitfucker is only going to harden his opinion to you, or he's here to argue in bad faith, in which case you're playing into his "auspol is easy to troll" narrative.

In either situation, you're loving up by calling him a shitfucker

gently caress 'im, no one's tryna fix his ideas, he came here and sucked and we told him he sucked

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

But what if.... he literally fucks poo poo????

Checkmate tit hen

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Recoome posted:

Lol if you think forums poster Liberty "Black people and women are both inferior AND oppressors" Cat is actually flustering anyone with his/her/their terrible opinions.

Nice strawman you've built there.

I'm no hardcore MRA type. Classical feminism was badly needed, it's ridiculous to oppress half the human population. If both sides have equal opportunity than I call it a win.

I am against enforcing equal outcomes. It demeans women who got there on their own merits, because some people think "oh we only gave that position to Shelly because she's a woman, she can't be that good". Putting people places where they otherwise wouldn't qualify (due to their lack of merit) only reinforces negative stereotypes.

When you are getting risky life-saving surgery, you want the best person for the job holding the scalpel, not someone who got there for PC reasons. If a woman surgeon would be the best person for the job we should stop any bona-fide discrimination that would keep her away. Ditto being carried out of a burning house, on aircraft with some kind of catastrophic failure, behind a desk keeping your employer from going bankrupt.

How supporting a meritocracy qualifies as me saying Women are inferior and oppressors is beyond me.

I'm guessing The Black thing is due to my comment about ~5% of the US population being responsible for around half of all US murders. It shows there is something very sick in the American system as these numbers are incredible. If 5% of all cars resulted in half of all deaths we'd have massive inquiries into seeing what the hell is wrong and how do we fix it. We wouldn't, say, introduce safety regulations that don't help much but penalize ALL cars because it's politically easy.

LibertyCat fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Apr 3, 2016

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

The Peccadillo posted:

gently caress 'im, no one's tryna fix his ideas, he came here and sucked and we told him he sucked

I'm so happy for you that you've found somewhere you feel validated, but keep the circlejerk to your side of the computer screen.

http://act.350.org/signup/snap-action-qld-its-time-put-coral-ahead-coal/

This is the info for the snap action tomorrow morning to protest the decision to burn off the reef. 9:15-10am outside parliament in Brisbane. Molotovs to be in the coral reef/finding nemo design style

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

asio posted:

I'm so happy for you that you've found somewhere you feel validated, but keep the circlejerk to your side of the computer screen.

Are you happy?! That sounds SARCASTIC

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

LibertyCat posted:

Putting people places where they otherwise wouldn't qualify (due to their lack of merit) only reinforces negative stereotypes.
Like how people think white men are incompetent, because Peter Dutton was given a ministry.

Old boys networks seek to perpetuate themselves. You can't just sit back and hope they'll do the right thing, they need to be actively broken up. The point of quotas isn't to put in unqualified women over qualified men, it's to make sure that qualified women don't get excluded just because they're women.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

LibertyCat posted:

Nice strawman you've built there.

I'm no hardcore MRA type. Classical feminism was badly needed, it's ridiculous to oppress half the human population. If both sides have equal opportunity than I call it a win.

I am against enforcing equal outcomes. It demeans women who got there on their own merits, because some people think "oh we only gave that position to Shelly because she's a woman, she can't be that good". Putting people places where they otherwise wouldn't qualify (due to their lack of merit) only reinforces negative stereotypes.

When you are getting risky life-saving surgery, you want the best person for the job holding the scalpel, not someone who got there for PC reasons. If a woman surgeon would be the best person for the job we should stop any bona-fide discrimination that would keep her away. Ditto being carried out of a burning house, on aircraft with some kind of catastrophic failure, behind a desk keeping your employer from going bankrupt.

How supporting a meritocracy qualifies as me saying Women are inferior and oppressors is beyond me.

I'm guessing The Black thing is due to my comment about ~5% of the US population being responsible for around half of all US murders. It shows there is something very sick in the American system as these numbers are incredible. If 5% of all cars resulted in half of all deaths we'd have massive inquiries into seeing what the hell is wrong and how do we fix it. We wouldn't, say, introduce safety regulations that don't help much but penalize ALL cars because it's politically easy.

If outcomes aren't equal how can you possibly believe that opportunity is?

Do you even know what nepotism is?

People only dogpile you because you make really misinformed and kind of offensive posts. You did better regarding Aboriginal civilization prior to being massacred by whites because at least you accepted that you didn't know enough about it and asked for reference material in order to inform yourself, but seriously libertycat, your levels of ignorance and the opinions you've drawn from that ignorant standpoint are the same for equality, taxation, welfare, justice and economies as they are for aboriginal history. That's why people dogpile you, it's nothing personal, if I came in here and said equally misinformed poo poo I guarantee I'd get the poo poo dogpiled out of me as well, and in the past, I have.

EDIT: Curse you doctor spaceman, you made my first point far better than I did and before I did.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The point of quotas isn't to put in unqualified women over qualified men, it's to make sure that qualified women don't get excluded just because they're women.

This exactly. Women and people of colour are passed over for positions for which they're qualified all the time. And this isn't just anecdotal; it's backed up by peer reviewed research.

quote:

In a randomized double-blind study (n = 127), science faculty from research-intensive universities rated the application materials of a student—who was randomly assigned either a male or female name—for a laboratory manager position. Faculty participants rated the male applicant as significantly more competent and hireable than the (identical) female applicant. These participants also selected a higher starting salary and offered more career mentoring to the male applicant. The gender of the faculty participants did not affect responses, such that female and male faculty were equally likely to exhibit bias against the female student.

This study was specifically for a STEM field, but I imagine that it occurs across most fields, excepting the typically female-dominated ones, e.g. nursing (where I imagine that men are automatically seen as less competent, and where quotas would benefit men as well).

There's similar issues wrt race as well

quote:

Australian National University researchers Alison Booth, Andrew Leigh and Elena Vargonova sent out 4000 fake job applications to employers advertising on the internet for entry-level hospitality, data entry, customer service and sales jobs, changing only the racial origin of the supposed applicants' names.

Applicants with Chinese names fared the worst, having only a one-in-five chance of getting asked in for interviews, compared to applicants with Anglo-Saxon names whose chances exceeded one-in-three.

Typically a Chinese-named applicant would need to put in 68 per cent more applications than an Anglo-named applicant to get the same number of calls back. A Middle Eastern-named applicant needed 64 per cent more, an indigenous-named applicant 35 per cent more and an Italian-named applicant 12 per cent more.

And it's not really even something most employers do on purpose; it could possibly be solved with a "blind" application process, but that's something that a lot of small-medium businesses don't even know about. And even then you're always going to have an interview so it's impossible to eliminate bias even with an application process that is as fair as possible. and THIS is where quotas come in.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

LibertyCat posted:

I agree, brother, we must secure the existence of our people and a future for white children.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

tithin posted:

In either situation, you're loving up by calling him a shitfucker.

Option three is he's someone who thinks the Aborigines were an inferior civilization - check that, he doesn't think they were a civilization at all - and his opinion doesn't belong here any more than someone from Stormfront. You might give the time of day to unabashed racists but don't expect me to.

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

hooman posted:

If outcomes aren't equal how can you possibly believe that opportunity is?

Interesting point of discussion. As humans are a sexually dimorphic species there is no reason to believe that perfect equality of opportunity would result in a near perfect 50/50 split. As an uncontroversial example the average man would find a labor intensive job easier than the average woman simply due to the difference in muscle mass.

quote:

People only dogpile you because you make really misinformed and kind of offensive posts. You did better regarding Aboriginal civilization prior to being massacred by whites because at least you accepted that you didn't know enough about it and asked for reference material in order to inform yourself, but seriously libertycat, your levels of ignorance and the opinions you've drawn from that ignorant standpoint are the same for equality, taxation, welfare, justice and economies as they are for aboriginal history. That's why people dogpile you, it's nothing personal, if I came in here and said equally misinformed poo poo I guarantee I'd get the poo poo dogpiled out of me as well, and in the past, I have.

Frankly, a large percentage of the population would call Greens voters hopefully naive idealists. It's OK. We don't need to agree on everything.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Starshark posted:

Option three is he's someone who thinks the Aborigines were an inferior civilization - check that, he doesn't think they were a civilization at all - and his opinion doesn't belong here any more than someone from Stormfront. You might give the time of day to unabashed racists but don't expect me to.

Wikipedia posted:

A civilization (US) or civilisation (UK) is any complex society characterized by urban development, social stratification, symbolic communication forms (typically, writing systems), and a perceived separation from and domination over the natural environment by a cultural elite.
Civilizations are intimately associated with and often further defined by other socio-politico-economic characteristics, including centralization, the domestication of both humans and other organisms, specialization of labor, culturally ingrained ideologies of progress and supremacism, monumental architecture, taxation, societal dependence upon farming as an agricultural practice, and expansionism.

The word "Civilization" does not mean "culture" or "people located in a particular group".

Bowmore: If the animals were applying for a job as a tree surgeon that would be a fair test.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

LibertyCat posted:

The word "Civilization" does not mean "culture" or "people located in a particular group".

Merriam-Webster posted:

a : a relatively high level of cultural and technological development; specifically : the stage of cultural development at which writing and the keeping of written records is attained
b : the culture characteristic of a particular time or place

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/SenatorZWang/status/716515977538588672

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

LibertyCat posted:

Bowmore: If the animals were applying for a job as a tree surgeon that would be a fair test.
I don't think you get it

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
Perhaps you should update wikipedia, although it has a vast number of citations that disagree.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

LibertyCat posted:

Perhaps you should update wikipedia, although it has a vast number of citations that disagree.

Oxford Dictionary posted:

1.2 The society, culture, and way of life of a particular area:

Cambridge Dictionary posted:

​human ​society with ​its well ​developed ​social ​organizations, or the ​culture and way of ​life of a ​society or ​country at a ​particular ​period in ​time

Collins Dictionary posted:

the total culture and way of life of a particular people, nation, region, or period

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
Wiki has a ton of citations from Anthropology textbooks, but please feel free to update the page with your references.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

LibertyCat posted:

Wiki has a ton of citations from Anthropology textbooks, but please feel free to update the page with your references.

Jesus CHRIST

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
I'm not responding, just commenting for the circle jerk. LC used surgeons as an example of where merit selection was especially important. If only he knew.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/bullying-endemic-among-surgeons-but-victims-too-scared-to-speak-up-report-finds-20150909-gjiuxl.html

quote:

Female surgeons feel obliged to give sexual favours, report finds Date September 10, 2015 Craig Butt Reporter for The Age

Apology over 'toxic culture' among surgeons
After a survey finds nearly half of all surgeons have experienced discrimination, bullying or sexual harassment, RACS President apologises for the 'devastating impact' on surgeons and trainees.
Analysis: Have we deified our surgeons?
Bullying, discrimination and sexual harassment are rife in the surgical profession, a damning report has found.

Half the surgeons and trainees who responded said they had been victimised.

Six months after senior surgeon Gabrielle McMullin said junior women doctors should "comply with requests" for sex to protect their medical careers, an independent survey of more than 3500 surgeons commissioned by the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons has revealed a "toxic culture" in surgery departments across Australia. Although about three out of five registered trainees surveyed said they'd been bullied, making complaints was widely believed to be "career suicide".
Sexism was entrenched and endemic and sexual harassment pervasive, with women reporting they felt powerless to protest. Vascular surgeon Gabrielle McMullin, who said in March that sexism was so rife among surgeons that young women should accept unwanted sexual advances or risk ruining their careers. Women reported much higher rates of victimisation than men. One in three of the 560 women surveyed reported they'd been sexually harassed. Sexual propositions and innuendo were the most common forms of sexual harassment.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

LibertyCat posted:

Wikitionary posted:

An organized culture encompassing many communities, often on the scale of a nation or a people; a stage or system of social, political or technical development.

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

BBJoey posted:

An organized culture encompassing many communities, often on the scale of a nation or a people; a stage or system of social, political or technical development.

Pretty sure Aboriginal tribes don't qualify. Social/political/technical development seems to have stagnated for a few thousand years.

and Cartoon, the answer is to fix that poo poo by disciplining the offenders.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

LibertyCat posted:

Pretty sure Aboriginal tribes don't qualify. Social/political/technical development seems to have stagnated for a few thousand years.

and Cartoon, the answer is to fix that poo poo by disciplining the offenders.

Simple English Wikipedia posted:

The type of culture and society developed by a particular nation or region or in a particular epoch: Maya civilization; the civilization of ancient Rome.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
They weren't the same as us so they don't count

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
OK quoting from Simple aka "Wikipeda for Retards" is getting desperate.

The Maya

The Romans

Totally comparable to tribes that hadn't discovered the Wheel.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Can you not?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

LibertyCat posted:

The Maya

The Romans

The Maya didn't have wheels either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

LibertyCat posted:

The Maya

The Romans

See where engaging meaningfully with people like this has gotten us, tithin? Do you still think we should adjust our tone for the sake of filth like this?

• Locked thread