Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Ah. As you can tell, I'm not a coffee drinker so I'm rather ignorant. Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

feedmegin posted:

No need to do even that much, really, just disable them in firmware. Most people don't have the nous to re-flash their cards with hacked firmware, after all (plus firmware tends to be signed these days). A lot cheaper than adding an additional physical process step.

Flashing a modded firmware in this age is trivial for the average person who buys a high-end card and/or is capable of using Google, mostly because it's been idiot-proof ever since the invention of dual-BIOS switches, so there's absolutely no way Nvidia would ever put a 970 into the wild if someone could make it a 980, or near-980, as they'd rather you just buy a 980 instead, probably for the same reason certain Quadro driver updates have gone out of their way to gently caress with Geforce-to-Quadro mods

AMD is historically the place to go when you feel like playing the unlock lottery in the name of savings, since they tend to be an even split between laser-disabled and BIOS-disabled cores or features, depending on the model and what was rebranded, with the most recent being the ability to potentially-unlock 4096 working cores on a regular Fury, or at least 3840 or 3776 (I got 4096 :toot: ). The average GPU BIOS isn't signed either, and weird dump methods cutting half of the image off or weird UEFI implementations were the only hurdles to get modern card mods to where they are today

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Not GPU related, but I find some nice meth or crack to provide the pick me up that I need either to get motivated for work or for CS

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

the last few posts or so posted:

CAFFEINE FOR THE CAFFEINE GOD

:gamers:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Just mainline jet fuel.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

xthetenth posted:

Just mainline jet fuel.
http://gizmodo.com/5319319/14-yo-boy-drinks-gasoline-to-be-like-optimus-prime

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Captain Yossarian posted:

Not GPU related, but I find some nice meth or crack to provide the pick me up that I need either to get motivated for work or for CS
Crack is whack, coke is dope

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

PerrineClostermann posted:

I had a double shot of espresso and was stuck on a toilet for a day. The hell are you people?

My standard daily coffee is an 8 shot jumbo takeaway. I don't have toilet issues.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
I bought a SodaStream specifically so I could make 1L bottles of basically knockoff RedBull to take to work with me.

It's probably saved me $1,000 in the last two years.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

DrDork posted:

I bought a SodaStream specifically so I could make 1L bottles of basically knockoff RedBull to take to work with me.

It's probably saved me $1,000 in the last two years.

Same, but for tonic water. Unfortunately most grocery stores have stopped carrying the tonic mix...

The official cylinders are super expensive, you don't save much if anything using the official supplies. But you can get an adapter that you can hook up to a paintball tank. If you're concerned about contaminants, fire-supply places have high-quality stuff (but you may have to supply a filling station that fits their system). Something got hosed up with my unit when I moved - now when I screw on the tank it starts venting through the burst disc for some reason. I don't think it's overfilled, you'd think if that was the case it would vent even when the pin on the adapter isn't depressed. Not sure :shrug:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Apr 3, 2016

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Agreed that you don't save much if all you do is make cola and such, but RedBull/Monster/etc go for about $2/can. At $15 for a 60L refill, and $7 for a 9L syrup bottle, it works out to about $1/L, or 50c/16oz (Monster) or 25c/8oz (RedBull), so the savings are pretty significant.

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

DrDork posted:

Agreed that you don't save much if all you do is make cola and such, but RedBull/Monster/etc go for about $2/can. At $15 for a 60L refill, and $7 for a 9L syrup bottle, it works out to about $1/L, or 50c/16oz (Monster) or 25c/8oz (RedBull), so the savings are pretty significant.

You need to take a good hard look in your (oversized) mirror before buying a 9L syrup bottle. Can we please go back to talking about GPUs?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DrDork posted:

I buy name brand diet soda for $1 per 2L bottle when it's on sale, and that's how I take in my caffeine.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, the only way anyone is ever dying of a caffeine overdose is if they do it intentionally by ingesting pure caffeine powder, which people have done, thinking it'd give them an extra 'jolt.' It's one of those things that's not illegal to buy, mostly because it keeps websites like The Darwin Awards in business.

But they sell pure caffeine powder in the form of 200mg tablets on Amazon. I have a bottle. It's fine. 200mg of caffeine is roughly 1 mug of coffee. I drink at least 2 mugs of coffee every morning when I get to work in a 10 minute time span so that's 400mg right there. And you can bet that's not the only coffee I drink a day.

Caffeine is classified as toxic by the FDA at dosages over something ridiculous like 10g. To put that into perspective that's like 50 cups of coffee or I dunno 75+ shots of espresso.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
I get my massive dose of caffeine exclusively through 18 cups of black coffee, energy drinks and anything remotely syrupy/sugary tastes like poison to me.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
GPU Megat[H]read - enthusiast barista discussion zone

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

You think we give a gently caress about how our coffee tastes? We just want the most caffiene in the cheapest possible price! :shepface:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How much energy is in a can of Monster, and can it power a 980ti?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

You think we give a gently caress about how our coffee tastes? We just want the most caffiene in the cheapest possible price! :shepface:

On the contrary, I have very exacting standards when it comes to coffee. There are very few places I would ever buy coffee from.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Setzer Gabbiani posted:

Flashing a modded firmware in this age is trivial for the average person who buys a high-end card and/or is capable of using Google, mostly because it's been idiot-proof ever since the invention of dual-BIOS switches, so there's absolutely no way Nvidia would ever put a 970 into the wild if someone could make it a 980, or near-980, as they'd rather you just buy a 980 instead, probably for the same reason certain Quadro driver updates have gone out of their way to gently caress with Geforce-to-Quadro mods

Dual-BIOS switches on GPUS? I'm talking about flashing the graphics card's firmware not the motherboard. Not to mention the actual 'this card has this features' bit could be (probably is, since different devices have different PCI device IDs) encoded somewhere non-flashable on the card; combine that with signed firmware and it's not nearly as trivial as you might think. And yes, signed firmware is coming -

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTc5ODA

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
The secret to coffee is to buy green coffee beans then place them into your R9 290 reference fan, which will roast and grind them in one step.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I want some god drat coffee now

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I often read this thread when I'm sipping my coffee in hipster cafes.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

PerrineClostermann posted:

How much energy is in a can of Monster, and can it power a 980ti?

Apparently, a can of Monster contains about 200 kilocalories, or 836,800 joules. All sugar, I assume. I'm not sure exactly how much the 980 Ti draws but 400W seems like a good conservative number to make sure we're not overselling our can of Monster, which comes out to 35 minutes of high energy gaming.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Benchmarks are showing that last half cup of coffee isn't as good as the other three and a half though.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

feedmegin posted:

Dual-BIOS switches on GPUS?

Yeah on GPUs. iirc there was time people were flashing 6950 bios' to 6970 bios, because the cards were almost completely identical.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Kramjacks posted:

Yeah on GPUs. iirc there was time people were flashing 6950 bios' to 6970 bios, because the cards were almost completely identical.

Same for 290s to 390s.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

HMS Boromir posted:

Apparently, a can of Monster contains about 200 kilocalories, or 836,800 joules. All sugar, I assume. I'm not sure exactly how much the 980 Ti draws but 400W seems like a good conservative number to make sure we're not overselling our can of Monster, which comes out to 35 minutes of high energy gaming.

So if I buy a case of Monster....

Hmm...

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Speaking of Nvidia, what's this I'm hearing about drivers bricking cards? I thought Nvidia was supposed to be the company with the *good* driver team?

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Speaking of Nvidia, what's this I'm hearing about drivers bricking cards? I thought Nvidia was supposed to be the company with the *good* driver team?

Both sides produce equally terrible drivers. The internet is just an echo-chamber of anecdotes and people defending their purchases.

From what I've read some people are speculating it's being caused by Nvidia trying to hack in async compute at the driver/software level since their hardware doesn't fully support it like AMD. But again, who really knows.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Probably just idiots making too much of coincidences, there's not really a way for drivers to damage the hardware. The closest that has ever happened is a driver screwing up fan control and causing overheating, but the card would throttle or shut down before damage was done.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
The latest info is that there were no bricked cards, just black screens and artifacts. I believe the offending driver (364.47) was quickly replaced by a version (364.51) that didn't have the problem.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 3, 2016

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
That was my experience with it as well. Happened twice then a new driver stopped it

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

feedmegin posted:

Dual-BIOS switches on GPUS? I'm talking about flashing the graphics card's firmware not the motherboard. Not to mention the actual 'this card has this features' bit could be (probably is, since different devices have different PCI device IDs) encoded somewhere non-flashable on the card; combine that with signed firmware and it's not nearly as trivial as you might think. And yes, signed firmware is coming -

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTc5ODA

Yup, welcome to 2010.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Alereon posted:

Probably just idiots making too much of coincidences, there's not really a way for drivers to damage the hardware. The closest that has ever happened is a driver screwing up fan control and causing overheating, but the card would throttle or shut down before damage was done.

But new technology does seem to provide exciting new possibilities.

In A UEFI World, "rm -rf /" Can Brick Your System

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Reading a thread about the Acer refurb monitors - some people are speculating it's an insurance scam to destroy faulty units and get the shipping companies to pay for them. :lol:

Wouldn't be surprised, multiple people are reporting having to try several times before getting one that's not destroyed in shipping. They're apparently not packing them very well - two guys report having to try three times, one guy had to try 4.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 3, 2016

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Hahahahaha I kind of hope that's true just for the sleaze

Although FedEx does not play after a point

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Is there some goldrush for a specific Acer monitor going on right now?

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yup, welcome to 2010.

Those boost buttons on any given XXXTREME gamer card (usually Sapphire) are also just a glorified switch that happens to have an LED, it just switches to a BIOS that has a higher voltage or clocks, and is one of many reasons why a handful of 7900 owners/miners fried themselves a high-performance 2D-only card

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Alereon posted:

Maybe if it overvolted it hard.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Reading a thread about the Acer refurb monitors - some people are speculating it's an insurance scam to destroy faulty units and get the shipping companies to pay for them. :lol:

Wouldn't be surprised, multiple people are reporting having to try several times before getting one that's not destroyed in shipping. They're apparently not packing them very well - two guys report having to try three times, one guy had to try 4.

My XR341ck came in just fine, but the front trim was flapping around. Box was plenty good for the trip though and the screen was basically immaculate.