Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

18 Armenian and 12 Azeri soldiers have been killed in the worst fighting in Nagorno-Karabakh in decades:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35949991
And just a day after talking about a WW3-inducing crisis, damnit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so they are playing both sides?

Probably making sure Armenia plays along. Russia could always pull their troops out, or at least threaten Armenia with that happening.

It sure looks like Armenia was strong-armed into joining their eurasian union too. I recall that the troubles in Ukraine started over signing the EU association treaty.

e: and eurasian union hasn't been beneficial to them anyway.

jonnypeh fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Apr 2, 2016

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Gantolandon posted:

It helped that until JPII died, no one really dared to stand against the bullshit of the Church. He was an immensely popular figure and both post-communists and liberals decided that trying to oppose the clergy is a foregone conclusion and tried to appease them instead.

Absolutely. Every government post communism took a submissive position towards the church. They're all culpable.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

steinrokkan posted:

Not really, children are not full persons, but we understand them as both humans and potential persons. Thus they get the full protection afforded to a person. At what point does a mass of human cells make the transition from being a simple biological sample to being a child?

Seman is a potential person. A fetus is a person when it is capable of being its own entity.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

loving assholes ITT believing that women apparently get abortions for fun without having real, serious reasons.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Grouchio posted:

Neither one of these countries is a major player, or connected to a major player through a NATO-style alliance.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

sparatuvs posted:

A fetus is a person when it is capable of being its own entity.

What does it mean? Being able to live on its own?

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Grouchio posted:

I love your gimmick.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

loving assholes ITT believing that women apparently get abortions for fun without having real, serious reasons.

Are you seriously suggesting that "not wanting to have children" is never, ever a reason for an abortion?

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

steinrokkan posted:

Are you seriously suggesting that "not wanting to have children" is never, ever a reason for an abortion?

Not wanting to have children because you can't support children and it would ruin your life is a good reason to have an abortion.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Lessons Learned From the Russo-Ukraine War

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

Holy poo poo.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

steinrokkan posted:

You are retarded and should have been aborted.

Taking a pill is not an abortion in the sense anybody considers in this day and age.

Actually is, according to the laws in many countries, and by many people who claim to be against "abortion".

steinrokkan posted:

What does it mean? Being able to live on its own?

That'd be a good cutoff, sure.

steinrokkan posted:

Are we supposed to find that to be a bad reason?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

sparatuvs posted:

Not wanting to have children because you can't support children and it would ruin your life is a good reason to have an abortion.

Yes, that is one sub-category. But if we return to the original subject of abortion laws under Communism, the Leninist proposal of "women should not be slaves of reproduction" got overturned almost immediately when it turned out abortion rates basically annulated population growth even among population segments that were quite capable of keeping a child; so the new policy was to employ a commission that would decide on the medical and socio-economic impacts of the child being aborted. Now, this was obviously not optimal since the woman SHOULD be able to get an abortion for no reason other than not wanting to carry it to term with little consideration for economic or medical factors, but you need to recognize these cases do exist in order to assume an effective argumentative stance against the regressive conservatives.

Pretending that these cases don't exist merely creates a discoursive vacuum for the conservatives to exploit by giving them free reign over the "frivolous abortions" argument.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Crowsbeak posted:

There is adoption.

I think it's wrong for a government to force you to go through 9 months of agony and an incredibly painful, potentially deadly procedure.

ass struggle fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 2, 2016

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

sparatuvs posted:

There is adoption. Also while I am personally opposed to abortion I cannot support such a intrusive and untholaw like Polands also by corruption in the polish rcc I meant the land deals and their intolerance.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

18 Armenian and 12 Azeri soldiers have been killed in the worst fighting in Nagorno-Karabakh in decades:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35949991

Wow. That's some vintage conflict right there, I was barely born the first time around! (Well the first time they weren't in USSR)

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

steinrokkan posted:

Yes, that is one sub-category. But if we return to the original subject of abortion laws under Communism, the Leninist proposal of "women should not be slaves of reproduction" got overturned almost immediately when it turned out abortion rates basically annulated population growth even among population segments that were quite capable of keeping a child; so the new policy was to employ a commission that would decide on the medical and socio-economic impacts of the child being aborted. Now, this was obviously not optimal since the woman SHOULD be able to get an abortion for no reason other than not wanting to carry it to term with little consideration for economic or medical factors, but you need to recognize these cases do exist in order to assume an effective argumentative stance against the regressive conservatives.

Pretending that these cases don't exist merely creates a discoursive vacuum for the conservatives to exploit by giving them free reign over the "frivolous abortions" argument.

So there are underlying social problems that cause people to not want to bring children into the world. If you want your population to grow, fix these problems. High abortion rates are a symptom of societal decay, not a cause.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

sparatuvs posted:

So there are underlying social problems that cause people to not want to bring children into the world. If you want your population to grow, fix these problems. High abortion rates are a symptom of societal decay, not a cause.

Tell that to Singapore.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

sparatuvs posted:

I didn't say I want population to grow. I said you need to be able to defend your policy against the people who hold that view in order to prevail, or you'll be rolled back the way you currently see in AMerica.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

I didn't say I want population to grow. I said you need to be able to defend your policy against the people who hold that view in order to prevail, or you'll be rolled back the way you currently see in AMerica.

If it's ""for the greater good" then the state should pay people to have children rather than force people to carry unwanted babies to term. Setting up a lottery where people will randomly be assigned community service because we prefer to not pay for the work to be done is arbitrary, unjust and lazy.

edit: vvv I never claimed it was an argument against your position - I'm describing "the defense against the people who hold that view", to use your own words.

Bates fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 3, 2016

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Anosmoman posted:

If it's ""for the greater good" then the state should pay people to have children rather than force people to carry unwanted babies to term. Setting up a lottery where people will randomly be assigned community service because we prefer to not pay for the work to be done is arbitrary, unjust and lazy.

I don't know how loud I need to shout out that I'm not in favour of a Foucalutesque greater good biopower population control. I guess it doesn't matter, people who can't be bothered to read full posts will react anyway.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

steinrokkan posted:

children are not full persons

I don't know if you meant what you wrote but... um...

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

fishmech posted:

Actually is, according to the laws in many countries, and by many people who claim to be against "abortion".
Including the proposed Polish law. PIS politicians have repeatedly stated that they consider the morning-after pill a type of abortion, and women using them could certainly be persecuted under the current wording of the draft. Same with women with IUDs, actually.

Aside from that I just wanted to give you guys kudos for making Lucy Heartfilia mad at something other than Putin. Death to babies!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Valiantman posted:

I don't know if you meant what you wrote but... um...

They do not posses full legal subjectivity (personality). They can't vote, they can't start a business, they can't take care of themselves without their custodians.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Is this the best place to have general abortion debate?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Grouchio posted:

I just read an alternate timeline somewhere in which a Russian-Estonian bar-room brawl started WW3 between NATO and Russia and the majority of the urban western world went up in smoke. Next loving year.

In the utmost of seriousness, do I need to prepare for WW3 or other paranoid-filled poo poo? Or am I taking such a scenario too seriously?
I secretly have the feeling that Putin would never try to pull this poo poo. But the feeling of doom is nagging me.

Please don't tell me that was alternativehistory.com

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Grouchio posted:

In the utmost of seriousness, do I need to prepare for WW3 or other paranoid-filled poo poo? Or am I taking such a scenario too seriously?
I secretly have the feeling that Putin would never try to pull this poo poo. But the feeling of doom is nagging me.

I get that you are young, but please understand that worldwide tensions are a fraction of what they once were. Americans and Russians once just accepted that humanity would end itself within their lifetime.

Russia invading Azerbaijan won't start ww3, it'll just be another nail in the coffin of the Putin regime.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

steinrokkan posted:

They do not posses full legal subjectivity (personality). They can't vote, they can't start a business, they can't take care of themselves without their custodians.
Which is exactly how the Brits and French viewed their Arab subjects during the mandate period.

And yes that was from AH.com.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Grouchio posted:

Which is exactly how the Brits and French viewed their Arab subjects during the mandate period.

How is that relevant at all?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

sparatuvs posted:

I wonder if the fighting could lead to Armenia invoking defensive protection because of the ODKB. As far as I can tell the clashes were between NK troops and Azeri, and not actually Armenian military, but I'm sure Russia would love to pull a Georgia on Azerbaijan. I highly doubt the US will support them at all, so it would probably go even faster than the invasion of Georgia.

I assumed with the Russian rhetoric the other day that they were already involved in this. Both Russia and turkey had been agitating over the Armenia/Azerbaijan dispute. And suddenly there's fighting. One or both of them pulled the proxy war trigger. They already deep in this.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

sparatuvs posted:

How is that relevant at all?
It was a convergent observation.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Grouchio posted:

It was a convergent observation.

I hope you've invested in gold for the apocalypse happening tomorrow.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

sparatuvs posted:

Russia invading Azerbaijan won't start ww3, it'll just be another nail in the coffin of the Putin regime.
It might even not come to that, they might as well just reinforce Armenia and have a totally free referendum for it to become part of Russia.
Wish I shared your views re: coffins, but it looks like Putin keeps getting out of it before the nailing is quite done.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Grouchio posted:

And yes that was from AH.com.

Stay out of FH. It is a place of insanity, paranoia and bad wank tls.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr. Nemo posted:

Is this the best place to have general abortion debate?

It is the best place for that. I don't think babies have minds ergo it's ok if they're tunred into dog food. Discuss

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The OCCRP is promising to release a massive story at 8pm CET about corruption, money laundering, and offshore funds links to lots of different governments in Eastern Europe and elsewhere, in many cases going all the way to the top in those countries. The top guy at the OCCRP has been saying Putin's spokeperson Peskov should plan for a late night, a journalist in Ukraine has been talking about asking Porshenko's office some difficult questions, the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists is involved, and other countries being covered also include Azerbaijan and Serbia plus more.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
My money's on every single governmental figure in the EE being paid by the Kremlin.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

anilEhilated posted:

My money's on every single governmental figure in the EE being paid by the Kremlin.

My guess is they've figured out they're all laundering money from their governments budgets and through dodging business deals, but they've all used the same network to do it, and network has been busted open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
My friends in Karabakh are saying that this is definitely more than the usual spring fling between the two countries. Every April / May there's some border skirmishes where Azerbaijan tests the waters and people on both sides get shot, but apparently they decided to hit way harder than they have since the ceasefire and people are pretty spooked. I can't get in touch with one guy and I'm really worried about him and his family right now, since the news said some villages got mortared but no western sources have them named. :ohdear:

jonnypeh posted:

Probably making sure Armenia plays along. Russia could always pull their troops out, or at least threaten Armenia with that happening.

It sure looks like Armenia was strong-armed into joining their eurasian union too. I recall that the troubles in Ukraine started over signing the EU association treaty.

e: and eurasian union hasn't been beneficial to them anyway.

Like 40%+ of Armenian males work in Russia seasonally, the whole country loving loves Russia, and most Armenians are of the opinion that if Russia could just get their poo poo together then they'd happily reform the USSR with them. Nowhere in the former Soviet Union is nostalgia for that era stronger than in the shattered remnants of the once-prosperous Armenian economy. This is why they really do not get along with Georgia.

Rime fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Apr 3, 2016